Education
Mmesoma’s father apologises to JAMB, Nigerians, begs for daughter
Mmesoma’s father apologises to JAMB, Nigerians, begs for daughter
Mr. Romanus Ejikeme, father of Mmesoma Ejikeme, the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) candidate who falsified her result, has publicly apologised to the Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB) and Nigerians.
According to a video interview with the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Mr Ejikeme claimed that his daughter lied to him, stressing that now that he had known the truth, he wished that JAMB could pardon his daughter.
He admitted to have made a mistake after the Anambra State government committee of inquiry set up to look into the controversy surrounding her daughter’s Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) result found her guilty of forging her result unaided.
Mmesoma’s father maintained that he did not know where his daughter registered for the examination, but that he gave her the money for the registration.
He said: “My daughter did not open up to me on time. When I realised her mistake, I blamed her.
“I told her, ‘Mmesoma, be careful. You know you are a star and will not dent your image’.
Meanwhile, former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, has commended the outcome of the Anambra State panel report indicting Mmesoma Ejikeme of forging her JAMB result.
Ezekwesili spoke through her official Twitter handle @ obyezeks on Saturday.
READ ALSO:
- Transfer gossip: Mbappe’s Prem preference revealed as Arsenal
- Police kill eight suspected bandits in Benue gun battle
- Nollywood actor gets car gift from fan
- Gunmen kidnap APC chairman in Ekiti
She noted that the panel’s investigation report showed that MsMmesoma had been given a fair hearing, and the facts from the reports showed that whatever consequences she got were fit for the action of her wrongdoing.
It would be recalled that the Anambra State government committee of inquiry set up to look into the controversy surrounding the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) result of Miss Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma indicted her of forging her result unaided.
The committee revealed in an eight-page report that Mmesoma admitted she forged her results, using her mobile phone without any plausible motivation or help from someone else.
The panel consisting of professors and ICT experts, reviewed all evidences from JAMB and Miss Mmesoma, recommended that she tenders an unreserved written apology to JAMB, her school (Anglican Girls’ Secondary School, Uruagu Nnewi) and the Anambra State government.
According to a press release by Prof. Nkemdili Nnonyelu, chairman of the committee, the results released by JAMB with respect to the UTME score of Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma is 249, and the results paraded by Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma with aggregate score of 362 is fake as buttressed by the very significant and instructive variations in the registration number, date of birth, centre name and other infractions.
“Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma admitted that she manipulated the fake results herself, using her phone.
“The Principal Anglican Girls’ Secondary School — Mrs. Edu Uche and the Education Secretary, Diocese of Nnewi (Anglican Communion) expressed dismay at the conduct of Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma.
The committee said: “That Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma tenders an unreserved written apology to JAMB, the School (Anglican Girls’ Secondary School, Uruagu Nnewi) and the Anambra State Government. This should be done immediately.
“Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma should undergo psychological counselling and therapy.
“All prospective candidates for JAMB Admission should adhere strictly to guidelines, processes and procedures of the examination body.
“The Committee of Inquiry commends JAMB for their diligent handling of the matter and the information supplied about the interface with the candidate (see attached).
“We hope that this unearthing of the truth as we have discovered will go a long way in correcting the sentiments, misconceptions and deceptions that have been in the public domain.
READ ALSO:
- Nigerian Pilgrim ‘returns lost $80,000’ in Saudi
- Tinubu bribing critics with appointments, says Atiku aide
- Joe Irukwu, ex-Ohanaeze Ndigbo president general dies
- 13 senators collecting pensions as ex-state governors
“We thank Mr. Governor, Prof. Charles Soludo for setting up this Committee, and, for the confidence reposed in the committee.”
JAMB Reacts
Meanwhile, the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said that it would always ensure credible, fair, and reliable assessments in its public examinations.
It stated this in reaction to the report of the panel set up by the Anambra State government to look into the controversy surrounding the UTME result of Miss Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma.
The committee’s report, which was released at the weekend, indicted the 19-year-old for forging her result unaided.
JAMB’s Head of Public Affairs and Protocol, Fabian Benjamin, stated in a statement that there had never been any doubt about the credibility of the examination body.
According to him, the panel’s report not only vindicated the body but also reaffirmed the fact that the examination body’s system could never be compromised.
He added that the board had been more determined than ever before in the fight to ensure a clean public examination sector, regardless of distractions from detractors.
While clarifying that Mmesoma had finally admitted to forging her result, the statement also revealed that her real age was 19, contrary to the belief held by many that she was 16.
The Board said: “The report of the Commission of Inquiry set up by the Anambra State Government, an independent and unbiased body, as demanded by some Nigerians to look into the Mmesoma saga, has vindicated the Board. This has further reinforced the position of the Board that its system was not and cannot be compromised.
READ ALSO:
- Mmesoma Ejikeme: NANS writes JAMB, seeks pardon for embattled student
- Police kill four sit-at-home enforcers in Enugu
- Sit-at-home: Gunmen set Imo market ablaze, raze vehicles
“It is to be noted that the Board has built a reputation in terms of the conduct of credible examinations over the years and cannot afford to fail the nation at this critical juncture of its development.
“Therefore, we will not despair in spite of the painful realisation that some Nigerians would do anything to cast aspersions on the good name of the Board.
“However, in spite of all the posturing of its detractors, the Board remains resolute and uncompromising in its commitment to give Nigeria the best as far as credible and fair assessment is concerned.
“In fact, the Board is, more than ever, determined to continue to forge ahead unmindful of the shenanigan of those who desire its fall.
“For the benefit of those who are still doubting the capacity of Ms. Mmesoma to commit this egregious crime and those who are pushing the narrative that the girl is just 16 years old, even against all available data that indicate her age as an adult of 19 years, Ms. Mmesoma has owned up to committing the heinous infraction, which was carefully crafted to destroy the very foundation of one of the nation’s agencies charged with the critical role of apportioning the limited educational resource of the nation based on fairness equity and integrity.
“It is, therefore, highly regrettable that some Nigerians, who do not believe in the strength and resourcefulness of their nation’s institutions, would latch on to any opportunity to pull the Board down to their level of perfidy.
“One vital lesson that Nigerians should learn from the imbroglio, is to learn to appreciate the genuine efforts of their critical national institutions to chart the course of national rebirth. Hence, this attitude of attacking everything that makes the nation proud even by people who should know better, is disheartening. The flip side of this is to infer that some ethnic jingoists had perhaps been elevated to public office and recognition beyond their mental and emotional capacity.
“The Board would continue to be guided by the principles of inclusiveness and fairness as demonstrated by its seamless and unprompted deployment of a dedicated software called the Central Admission Processing System (CAPS), which not only eliminates human interference in the admission process, but also engenders equity, fairness, transparency to all as we do not know tribe or religion.”
Mmesoma’s father apologises to JAMB, Nigerians, begs for daughter
Education
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has confirmed that more than 1.5 million candidates have registered for the 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), as the deadline for e‑PIN vending and registration rapidly approaches.
In a statement released in Abuja by the board’s Public Communication Advisor, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, the board said the sale of e‑PINs — required for candidates to proceed with registration at accredited centers — will close at midnight on Thursday, February 26, 2026, while actual registration at centres will end on Saturday, February 28, 2026.
According to JAMB, its daily registration capacity stands at 100,000 candidates, but most centres are currently operating at roughly 30 per cent capacity, indicating that a significant number of eligible candidates have yet to register. The board emphasised that there will be no extension of the registration window, explaining that the schedule aligns with the national examination calendar and is coordinated to allow other examination bodies to conduct their exercises without conflict.
READ ALSO:
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
- Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
JAMB urged candidates to secure their e‑PINs early and complete registration at accredited CBT centres without delay. The board warned that last-minute registration could result in avoidable challenges and reiterated that it will not entertain appeals for deadline extensions.
The 2026 UTME is scheduled to hold from April 16 to April 25 and will determine admission into universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education across Nigeria. JAMB also assured candidates that all testing centres would have adequate security, technical support, and invigilation to ensure a smooth and credible examination process.
Education experts and stakeholders have encouraged candidates to register promptly and take advantage of preparatory resources offered online and at local centres. State education authorities have also organised orientation programmes to guide students through registration, examination, and post-UTME procedures.
JAMB continues to provide updates and guidance through its official portal and social media channels, ensuring that candidates have access to information about registration, examination procedures, and exam day requirements.
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
Education
BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike
BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Taraba State University (TSU) branch, has resumed an indefinite strike, citing the failure of the Taraba State Government to honour agreements reached earlier with the union.
The industrial action comes weeks after ASUU suspended its earlier strike following negotiations held on January 17, 2025, a move the union said was done in good faith to allow the government time to meet its commitments. According to ASUU, those promises were not fulfilled, forcing lecturers to withdraw their services again.
In a statement issued in Jalingo, the ASUU TSU branch chairman, Joshua Garba Mbave, said the government failed to take practical and verifiable steps toward resolving the lingering issues affecting staff welfare.
READ ALSO:
- Ramadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
- Tinubu Urges Senate to Confirm Yusuf for NAHCON, Marafa for INEC
- Galatasaray Stun Juventus 5–2 in UEFA Champions League
The union said its congress meeting held on February 18, 2026, reviewed developments since the suspension of the strike and unanimously agreed to resume the total, comprehensive, and indefinite strike.
ASUU listed several unresolved demands, including unpaid salary arrears, non-payment of Earned Academic Allowances, the absence of a functional pension scheme for university workers, and the failure to implement the 2025 ASUU–Federal Government agreement applicable to state-owned universities.
Dr. Mbave warned that the continued neglect of these issues has crippled staff morale, worsened economic hardship for lecturers, and disrupted academic stability at Taraba State University. He stressed that sustained dialogue with the Taraba State Government had produced no concrete outcome.
As a result of the renewed strike, academic activities at Taraba State University have been suspended indefinitely, with students advised to remain at home until further notice.
BREAKING: Academic Activities Halted as ASUU Resumes Strike
Education
Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
The University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) has released a new list of students eligible to apply for the 2024/2025 NELFUND refund, according to the UNILORIN Students’ Union (SU). Students who paid school fees before NELFUND disbursed funds directly to the university are now required to check their names and submit refund requests through the proper channels.
The official refund eligibility list has been shared in an Excel spreadsheet format and contains verified student details, including full name, matriculation number, department, and eligibility status. Students can search the file using their name or matric number to confirm their eligibility.
Those whose names appear on the list are instructed to fill the official refund form and submit supporting documents, including fee receipts and bank account details, to the Student Affairs Unit (SAU) or their respective Dean’s Office. The refund disbursement is gradual and ongoing, depending on NELFUND fund release schedules.
READ ALSO:
- Argungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu
- US Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
- Afenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
For students whose names are not on the current list, they are advised to check their NELFUND portal status at portal.nelf.gov.ng and ensure all records are correctly verified. UNILORIN and the Students’ Union have also clarified that this is not the final list, as additional batches of eligible students may be added as verification continues.
Students are urged to act promptly, as following the prescribed procedures will ensure timely refund of fees paid in advance.
How to Check Your Eligibility
Students can confirm their eligibility by viewing the official list published by the university. To streamline verification, a table of students in the Department of Accounting and select departments is presented below.
| S/N | Matric Number | Student Name | Programme | Level | Department |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| 1 | 20/66MA093 | Johnson Babatunde Ogunwunmiju | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 2 | 21/66MA002 | Zainab Oreoluwa Abdulrahmon | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 3 | 21/66MA021 | Shukurat Oluwapelumi Adetunji | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 4 | 21/66MA038 | Josephine Oluwateniola Akoki | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 5 | 21/66MA049 | Vivian Member Aun | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 6 | 21/66MA054 | Yusuf Olamilekan Babatunde | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 7 | 21/66MA065 | Precious John Elijah | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 8 | 21/66MA083 | Mariam Omowunmi Issa | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 9 | 21/66MA088 | Toyosi Kolade | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
| 10 | 21/66MA091 | Ayanfe Olaoluwa Makanjuola | B.Sc. Accounting | 400 | Accounting |
Note: The above table shows a partial list for illustration. The full list includes hundreds of students across various faculties and levels.
UNILORIN NELFUND Refund List 2025/2026
Check Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International18 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


