Connect with us

metro

No Plan To Sack Government Workers, Says Finance Minister

Published

on

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, says there are no plans to sack government workers.

The minister made this statement on Thursday during an interview on NTA’s ‘Good Morning Nigeria’ programme.

During the interview, Ahmed refuted speculations that the government was planning to lay off workers to save funds.

Ahmed further stated that the president has also directed that the minister pay the salaries of government workers.

“Mr President doesn’t want to disengage staff. That is what he has directed from the beginning of his administration. He also directed that we pay salaries. The Federal Government has never failed in paying salaries and he said we must always pay pensions. He has been consistent in those directives and we have followed those directives to the letter,” she said.

READ ALSO:

Moreso, the minister gave an insight into how the government plans to cut personnel costs.

Ahmed said, “Well, we do hope that at the end of the exercise, some agencies will be merged and it will cut down operational costs. We will be able to come up with incentive packages to retrain people and redeploy them in some areas where they are useful.

“For example, we still have a very high need for teachers so we can retrain people and send them to teach but also give them incentive packages to exit. Again, that is also money. If you want people to exit you have to pay them.

“That is an incentive package so that they can go. That is why it is taking a lot of time because it is not easy to decide on this. Everything centres on resources.

“We need resources and if we had a lot of money, we would just give very beautiful incentive packages and people would exit and go and start their businesses and we would reduce the size of the personnel cost.”

Daily Trust

metro

Father, daughters, relation die after ‘amala’ meal in Kogi

Published

on

Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Police Command, CP Edward Egbuk

The people of Mopa town in the Mopa-Muro Local Government Area of Kogi State have been thrown into mourning following the mysterious death of four members of a family after reportedly eating a cassava flour meal known as ‘Amala.’

The deceased died in quick succession between Friday, September 30 and Sunday, October 2.

Those who died included the family head, Pa. Motilewa, two daughters and a girl who is said to be their relation.

One of the deceased daughters identified as Motun was a National Certificate of Education holder and teacher in the town. The mother, however, miraculously survived.

The event has left residents of the town and the entire neighbourhood in mourning, fear and confusion, with many calling for an investigation into the death of the family members.

It was gathered that the family prepared the ‘Amala’ meal from the left over of cassava flour from which they had previously made and eaten ‘Fufu’. They were said to have spread the processed shafts in the sun to dry for some days.

READ ALSO:

The dried flakes were subsequently ground into soft powder which was used for ‘Amala’ which they ate on Thursday evening, before retiring to bed.

An eyewitness reported that the victims became sick overnight and efforts were made to stabilise them. Unfortunately, the youngest member of the family passed away on Friday, quickly followed on Saturday by the relation living with the family.

With the sudden passage, the others were moved to the highly rated ECWA Hospital, Egbe, for better medical attention.

Sadly, the eldest of the daughters, Motun, gave up the ghost at about 3:00am Sunday. The father also died later the same Sunday.

At the time of filing this report, the mother, identified as Molomo, was still alive in the hospital and under a close observation.

Members of the community are said to be suspecting foul play in the sudden death and have, therefore, suspended the burial for proper investigations to unravel the cause of their deaths.

“We are shocked. I have never seen a thing like this. We suspect that someone may have poisoned the food. For what? We cannot tell. I’m confused and in pains. This is too much to bear,” a member of the family lamented.

Earlier in August this year, five persons lost their lives after eating a cassava flour meal prepared at their family house in Usugnwe-Okaito, Okehi local government area of Kogi State.

Eagle

Continue Reading

metro

Building collapse claims one as flood displaces 651,053 in Anambra communities

Published

on

Flood in Anambra

One person died in Enugu-Otu, Aguleri in Anambra State, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has confirmed.

The Acting State Coordinator, Mr. Thickman Tanimu who disclosed this to reporters on Monday, said the deceased, identified as Ginikanwa Izuoba passed on following sudden collapse of his apartment occasioned by impact of the flood.

He further hinted that no fewer than 651,053 persons were rendered homeless by the disaster in six local government areas of the state.

He added that Ogbaru Local Government Area recorded highest number of victims followed by Anambra East and West Local Government Areas.

READ ALSO:

“NEMA, accompanied by officials of Anambra State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, visited Umueze-Anam, Mkpunando, Igbedo, Inoma and Ifite-Ogwari all in Anambra East and Anyamelum Council Areas,” he said.

Appreciating Anambra SEMA for taking certain proactive measures to mitigate impact of the disaster, Tanimu identified such measures to include identification of 13 Internally Displaced Persons’ camps, recruitment of camp managers, support staff and activation of health workers to work with people in the camps.

“The camps so far activated include the Ifite-Ogwari and Igbakwu Health Centres,” he added.

The Nation

Continue Reading

metro

Father Mbaka Removed From Adoration Ministry As Worshippers Attack Priest Brought As Replacement

Published

on

Ejike Mbaka

… Fr Amadi replaces Mbaka

Continue Reading

Trending