Connect with us

metro

One killed, four injured in Kwara Hijab protest

Published

on

One person was feared killed and four others sustained injury during a protest by Christian and Muslim parents of students of the Oyun Baptist High School in Ijagbo, Oyun Local Government Area of Kwara State, over the use of Hajib on Thursday.

The violence was reportedly triggered by the decision of the management of Oyun Baptist High School, on January 17, 2022 that Muslim students should not wear Hijab to the school again.

Kwara State Government through the Commissioner for Education and Human Capital Development, Hajia Sa’adatu Modibbo Kawu, appealed for calm, warning that violence was unacceptable.

The opposing parents (Muslims and Christians) students had protested in the morning at the gate of the school, displaying placards to express their positions.

But the protest suddenly turned violent after the opposing parents’ confrontation and their sympathisers degenerated.

Hoodlums took advantage of the situation and freely used dangerous weapons, during which one person was reportedly shot in the head and four others sustained severe injuries.

It took the intervention of the anti riot mobile police team drafted to restore peace in the school to end the protest.

Spokesman for the state police command, Ajayi Okasanmi, in a statement said normalcy had been restored in the area and warned the residents of Ijagbo to embrace the peace.

A police statement titled, “Re: Hijab crisis in  Ijagbo, Oyun  Local Government” read, “The Kwara State Police Command wishes to inform the general public, especially, citizens and residents of Ijagbo community and its environs, that the Command’s Tactical units and conventional police men deployed to Ijagbo have successfully restored peace and are also on ground to ensure that no further break down of law and order is allowed.

“The above action is sequel to the crisis related to the wearing of Hijab in schools which matter has been in contention between the Christian and Muslim faithful in Kwara State. Of current concern was the breakdown of law and other between Ijagbo community and protesting Muslim parents, where dangerous weapons were freely used.”

metro

Man impregnates, strangles boss’ teenage daughter in Bauchi

Published

on

A 27-year-old home help has been arrested by the police in Mai’ari Arewa village, Pali district in the Alkaleri Local Government Area of Bauchi State, for allegedly strangling his boss’ daughter after he impregnated her.

The suspect, Munkaila Ado, was said to have impregnated the 13-year-old girl and connived with her mother to take her to Gombe State for an abortion.

The state police spokesperson, Ahmed Wakil, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

He said that after successfully aborting the four-month-old pregnancy, the suspect and his friend strangled the victim, burnt her body beyond recognition and buried her in a shallow grave at a nearby bush in the Akko LGA of Gombe State.

READ ALSO:

The spokesperson said that the teenager’s father, who discovered that his daughter was missing and suspected his houseboy and his accomplice, reported the matter at the Alkaleri Divisional Police Headquarters.

He said, “On interrogation, the suspect confessed that the missing girl was his girlfriend who was four-month pregnant to the knowledge of her mother but unknown to the father, Alhaji Danladi Mohammed.

Wakil added, “He further revealed that he conspired with the mother of the girl and his accomplice, Muazu Umar, to take the victim to Gombe for an abortion.

“On reaching Gombe, the victim was led to the house of one Hajiya Amina Abubakar, female, (50), in Jekada Fari, behind specialist hospital Gombe where the victim was administered with some substances to cause miscarriage.

“Eventually, on their way to Mai’ari village along Akko LGA Gombe State, the two aforementioned suspects strangled the victim. They burnt the body beyond recognition and buried it in a shallow grave at a nearby bush in Akko LGA Gombe State.’’

Punch

Continue Reading

metro

Nigerian Bludgeons Chinese Man to Death in Italy

Published

on

Robert Omo, a Nigerian residing in Avellino, southern Italy, has been arrested for the murder of a Chinese man in the country.

According to the Times of Malta, Omo, 24, allegedly bludgeoned the Chinese man to death using a hammer. He was also reported to have injured a Bulgarian during the attack.

The Nigerian was said to have attacked the two men unprovoked on July 30, first striking the 49-year-old Bulgarian from behind and then attacking the 59-year-old Chinese man who had stepped in to prevent him from further assaulting his first victim.

READ ALSO:

The Bulgarian is receiving treatment in a hospital after sustaining serious injuries from the attack, while the Chinese man died on the spot.

It was also reported that Omo once served a 12-month jail term for bestiality in Malta.

After serving the jail sentence, he was deported from Malta, but the Nigerian found his way to Italy.

Reports revealed that Omo was once expelled from a care home in Avellino after he assaulted one of its workers.

After charges were brought against him over the recent attack, he pleaded not guilty, claiming he could not recall what happened during the incident.

FIJ

Continue Reading

metro

Female footballers, officials abducted, kidnappers demand N30m

Published

on

Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe

Six people, which include players and officials of a grassroots female team, were reportedly kidnapped by gunmen in Uronigbe, a border community between Edo and Delta states in Orhionmwon Local Government Area of Edo State.

Our correspondent learnt that the six victims were kidnapped around 6pm on Friday, while returning from a game at Owa-Alero in Ika North-East Local Government Area of Delta State.

A source in the community said the kidnapers had contacted some families demanding a ransom of N5m each for the victims.

Police Public Relations Officer in Edo State, Chidi Nwabuzor

He said, “They (footballers) went to Owa-Alero to play a football match, but on their way back, they were kidnapped at Uronigbe area, the boundary between Delta and Edo.

READ ALSO:

“The victims include Mrs Precious Agbajor, one Abraham, Nancy, Beatrice, the driver and one other person. They are six in number that are in the kidnapper’s den. The matter has been reported at the Uronigbe police station.

“The kidnappers have contacted the family of Agbajor and asked them to pay N5m for his wife.”

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in Delta State, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the kidnap, adding that the incident happened in Edo State.

His Edo State counterpart, Chidi Nwabuzor, said from the records available at the State Command, there was no information on the incident.

“You know we transmit our records to Force Headquarters everyday. There is no such record before us. From the Command’s record, no such incident happened yesterday (Friday), so the police will not give account of anything unreported.

“It is only when an incident is reported that the police can act on it. In most cases, citizens are not aware of the powers to report incidents. So the record I have from the Command is that no such incident happened yesterday (Friday), today (Saturday) and even the day before yesterday (Thursday).”

Punch

Continue Reading

Trending