Politics
PDP governors’ Ghana parley fails to break zoning deadlock
Efforts to end the disagreement over the zoning of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential ticket in next year’s election by its governors failed to yield fruit at a retreat in Ghana earlier in the week.
They returned from Accra, the Ghanaian capital yesterday after failing to reach a consensus on the contentious issue.
The meeting took place between Tuesday and Wednesday and the governors were split along the North-South divide at the meeting.
It was leant that Sokoto State Governor Aminu Tambuwal insisted on going for the ticket.
He declined a proposal that he should accept to be running mate to a Southern candidate.
There were indications that the governors ruled out the chances of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar in the race for the ticket.
The governors decided to take the meeting to Ghana when they gathered in Yenagoa for the second anniversary of Bayelsa State Governor Duoye Diri on Monday.
They subsequently travelled to Accra.
Although Tambuwal was not in Yenagoa, he joined his colleagues at the Ghana meeting.
READ ALSO:
- Minister defends cash transfer, says N5,000 means a lot to many Nigerians
- Four friends torture 28-year-old to death over missing phone, device found on chair
- Bandits invade residence of Kaduna Community Leader, abduct wives, 4 daughters
Other governors at the meeting, according to sources, are Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Emmanuel Udom (Akwa Ibom), Bala Mohammed (Bauchi), Samuel Ortom (Benue), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia) and Ahmadu Fintiri (Adamawa).
It was learnt that Governor Emmanuel’s interest in the presidential ticket came to the fore at the meeting.
A source said: “These governors used Diri’s anniversary as a shield to sneak into Ghana for a crucial meeting on zoning in anticipation of the release of timelines for primaries by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
“At the meeting in Accra, the Southern governors insisted on power shift to the South in 2023.
“From their talks, ex-VP Atiku was ruled out as the party’s candidate in 2023.
“But some of them offered Tambuwal the Vice Presidential slot which he rejected.
“At the end of the day, there was no consensus on any of the presidential aspirants either from the North or the South.
“It was at the meeting that some of them realised that Governor Emmanuel might have shown interest in the presidential race.
“There was mutual suspicion that more PDP governors from the South have presidential aspirations. So, the situation is still dicey in PDP.”
An aide to one of the governors confirmed the meeting to our correspondent.
There was disquiet in Atiku’s camp over the meeting.
Security and intelligence agencies were said to be probing the governors’ motives for relocating to Ghana for the meeting.
The agencies were acting on clues that there might be more to it.
However, Governor Wike dismissed insinuations that the opposition governors’ trip was to pick the party’s presidential and running mate for the 2023 election.
According to him, those behind the rumour were out to sow the seeds of discord and to ruin the chances of the PDP in the next general elections.
In a statement by his Special Assistant, Media, Kelvin Ebiri, the governor said he and his colleagues had been inundated with calls to confirm a text message circulated by a chieftain of the party that some governors embarked on a weeklong trip to Europe to determine the party’s candidates.
The statement quoted Wike as saying: “I have always said to people in PDP, nobody should cause a division among the governors.
“We are trying as much as we can to build the party back and see that in 2023 PDP takes over governance.
“I don’t understand where he gets this information, this rumour that governors travelled to Europe to decide who will be the presidential candidate and vice-presidential candidate of PDP.
“I wonder why governors will travel to Europe to take such a decision.”
The statement linked the source of the ‘misinformation’ to one of Atiku’s key men.
Wike said though the governors have nothing anyone campaigning for the 2019 PDP presidential candidate and former vice president, stalwarts should be circumspect and desist from causing a crisis in the party.
“Don’t destroy other people because of this, because when you destroy them it will be difficult for PDP to win election in 2023,” Wike said.
The governor urged Atiku, whom he described as a well-known political strategist, to caution his men against spreading dangerous rumours that could divide stakeholders.
Yesterday, the United Kingdom High Commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing said they are interested in the 2023 election.
Laing said: “We look forward to seeing how much this election matters. Nigeria has been on a democratic journey since 1999. And that, in itself is something to be very proud of.”
The Nation
![]()
Politics
Davido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
Davido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has deleted a social media post in which he publicly warned his uncle, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, against supporting any presidential candidate ahead of the 2027 elections.
The now-deleted post, which was shared on X (formerly Twitter) on Saturday, August 15, 2026, read: “No more supporting any presidential candidate @AAdeleke_01 make we Dey our Dey!!!” The message came as voting and result collation were taking place in Osun State, where Governor Adeleke was seeking re-election on the platform of the Accord Party. Checks by multiple news outlets confirmed that the post was taken down shortly after it went live, but not before it had generated significant attention online. A separate deleted message aimed at President Bola Tinubu, which read “U no try @officialABAT,” was also reportedly removed.
The deletion of both posts has raised eyebrows among political observers, given Governor Adeleke’s public endorsement of President Bola Tinubu’s re-election bid in 2027. During his acceptance speech after being declared winner of the Osun governorship election, Adeleke reaffirmed his support for Tinubu, stating: “At this point, I must deeply appreciate Mr President, His Excellency, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for his strong support for a free and fair election. Mr President is a son of Osun State, and I hereby reaffirm my earlier endorsement of him for a second term in the 2027 presidential election.” Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, welcomed the governor’s renewed endorsement, describing Adeleke as a “man of integrity and honour” and stating: “Agreement is agreement.” However, Adeleke’s Imole Campaign Council has rejected suggestions that the governor’s endorsement of Tinubu was the product of a political agreement or bargain, insisting that his support was based on Tinubu’s performance and reforms.
READ ALSO:
- King’s College Concession: Parents Mobilise for Mass Protest as N100bn Takeover Plan Sparks Outrage
- Adeleke withdraws EFCC suit after Tinubu’s intervention
- Osun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
- BREAKING: Edo Assembly leadership shake-up: Agbebaku out, Idaiyi emerges new Speaker
The deleted posts come amid Davido’s recent statements distancing himself from Nigerian politics. In subsequent posts on X, the singer described Nigerian politics as “evil” and declared he does not want to be a part of it. He wrote: “I brought no one! No one defended me! I backed my family on my own!! You guys are ruthless and disgusting! Eeewwww! I have done my job! Nigerian politics is evil AND I DON’T WANT TO BE A PART OF IT TILL GOD HELPS US!” Davido has previously stated he would only consider running for political office if Nigeria guarantees free, fair, and credible elections. Despite his active role in mobilising youth support for his uncle’s campaign, he has consistently maintained that his political involvement has been driven by family loyalty rather than a broader political ambition.
Governor Adeleke ultimately won the election, defeating the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, by 66,252 votes. The governor recorded 511,067 votes against Oyebamiji’s 444,815, while ADC candidate Najeem Salaam finished third with 17,180 votes. The final figures showed that Adeleke secured victories in 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji won 11. The election had 1,010,684 accredited voters from 2,339,544 registered voters, with 1,005,800 votes cast. INEC recorded 985,097 valid votes and 20,721 rejected ballots.
The election was marked by reports of gunshots, alleged ballot-box snatching, and arrests. The Osun State Police Command announced the arrest of a serving member of the State House of Assembly, Hon. Abiola Ibrahim Inaolaji, along with 146 suspected electoral mercenaries found at his residence. More than 200 Permanent Voter Cards were recovered during the operation. In a separate operation, police arrested 33 suspected electoral mercenaries in Ede. Davido had been actively following events and expressing concerns about happenings around the poll and the collation of results. However, the governor’s victory did not lead to any change in his position on the 2027 presidential election. Adeleke also disclosed that Tinubu personally contacted him after his victory and expressed appreciation for the President’s intervention on issues surrounding the election, including the unfreezing of the state government’s account by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission before the poll.
Davido Quietly Removes Tweet Cautioning Adeleke on Supporting Tinubu
![]()
Politics
BREAKING: Edo Assembly leadership shake-up: Agbebaku out, Idaiyi emerges new Speaker
BREAKING: Edo Assembly leadership shake-up: Agbebaku out, Idaiyi emerges new Speaker
The Edo State House of Assembly has a new Speaker following the resignation of Rt. Hon. Blessing Agbebaku, who stepped down on Monday, August 17, 2026, amid reports of an impeachment plot against him. Hon. Yekini Idaiyi (also spelled Idiaye), the lawmaker representing Akoko Edo I Constituency, was swiftly nominated and sworn in as the new Speaker during the plenary session that followed Agbebaku’s exit.
The leadership change was formally announced when Deputy Speaker Osamwonye Atu, who presided over the session, informed the House that Agbebaku’s resignation letter had been received. The resignation was confirmed by Agbebaku’s media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, via a Facebook post that read, “EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS.” Agbebaku’s decision to step down came amid reports of growing internal tension and moves by some lawmakers to impeach him. The former Speaker had led the 8th Assembly since June 2023, having been elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) before defecting to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2025. His tenure was marked by political turbulence, including the suspension of three lawmakers in May 2024 over an alleged impeachment plot and recent security concerns that postponed the Assembly’s first sitting of 2026.
READ ALSO:
- El-Rufai Demands N10bn Damages from ICPC, Alleges Denial of Family Access During Detention
- Wike Slashes C-of-O Waiting Time to 14 Days as FCT Processes Over 26,000 Titles
- Naira Appreciates at Official Market as Dollar Trades at N1,357.61 Today, August 17
Following the announcement of Agbebaku’s resignation, the lawmaker representing Esan South East Constituency, Sunday Ojiezele, nominated Yekini Idaiyi for the position of Speaker. The nomination was seconded by Hon. Eric Okaka, representing Owan East Constituency. The Clerk of the House subsequently administered the oath of office on Idaiyi, who then assumed leadership of the House. The House also approved a letter from the All Progressives Congress (APC) nominating new principal officers, including Hon. Sunday Ojiezele as Majority Leader, Hon. Ojie Inegbebor as Deputy Majority Leader, and Hon. Natasha Osawaru as Minority Leader, nominated by the National Democratic Congress.
Hon. Yekini Idaiyi is a ranking lawmaker with prior leadership experience in the Edo Assembly. He previously served as Deputy Speaker from June 2019 until August 2020, when he was impeached following political disagreements surrounding his support for the APC governorship candidate during the 2020 Edo governorship election. His emergence as Speaker marks a return to the Assembly’s leadership after several years, and he is expected to steer the legislative house through this period of transition and political realignment.
BREAKING: Edo Assembly leadership shake-up: Agbebaku out, Idaiyi emerges new Speaker
![]()
Politics
Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress
Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his victory in the August 15 governorship election, describing the outcome as a strong assurance that democracy will continue to flourish in Nigeria.
The President, in a statement issued on Sunday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said he personally called Adeleke earlier in the day to congratulate him on his re-election.
Tinubu said Adeleke’s victory had once again demonstrated the confidence the people of Osun State reposed in his leadership.
“I called Governor Ademola Adeleke earlier today to congratulate him on his election victory in Osun State. His victory once again confirmed the confidence the people of Osun State have in him,” the President said.
He urged the governor, who has secured another term in office, to use his renewed mandate to unite the people of the state irrespective of their political affiliations or choices during the election.
READ ALSO:
- Breaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
- Breaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
- Osun Decides: Adeleke Sweeps 19 LGAs, Oyebamiji Takes 11 as Incumbent Heads for Second Term
According to Tinubu, the governor’s immediate responsibility is to bring the people together and mobilise them towards achieving greater development, stability and prosperity in the state.
“I wish him great success as he prepares to lead the state for the next four years. Now that he has won, Governor Adeleke must unite the people of Osun State and rally them for growth, stability, and social and economic progress, regardless of the political choices they made at the election,” he said.
The President also commended other candidates who contested the election, praising what he described as their courage and discipline throughout the electoral process.
He said their participation had contributed to strengthening Nigeria’s democratic culture, adding that the outcome of the poll represented the decision of the electorate.
“I salute the courage and discipline displayed by other contestants in the election. Their participation deepened and enriched our country’s democratic culture,” Tinubu said.
He added that the result of the election reflected the will of the people of Osun State and provided further confidence in the survival and growth of democratic governance in the country.
“The outcome of the election reflects the will of the people and is a fitting assurance that democracy will continue to flourish in our land,” the President stated.
Tinubu further commended the Independent National Electoral Commission for its role in conducting the election, as well as the security agencies deployed for the exercise.
The President described the election as peaceful and transparent, noting that the process produced a clear winner.
His commendation comes after Osun voters went to the polls on Saturday to elect the governor who will lead the state for another four-year term.
Adeleke’s victory means the incumbent governor will continue in office for another term, giving his administration an opportunity to consolidate on its programmes and policies while addressing the developmental challenges confronting the state.
The President’s statement also appeared to emphasise the need for political reconciliation following the election, urging the governor to extend his leadership to all residents of Osun State, including those who voted against him.
Tinubu’s congratulatory message further underscored the importance of accepting electoral outcomes and ensuring that political competition does not undermine governance, unity and development after elections.
The statement was signed by Onanuga on August 16, 2026.
Tinubu Congratulates Adeleke, Says Osun Victory Affirms Nigeria’s Democratic Progress
![]()
-
News3 days agoUK Opens 2026/27 Commonwealth Fellowship Applications for Nigerians – How to Apply
-
Politics3 days agoOsun Decides: Over 100 ‘Imported’ Voters Arrested With New PVCs
-
Politics3 days agoOsun Decides 2026: Over 40,000 Security Operatives Deploy as Voters Brave Tensions to Elect New Governor
-
metro3 days agoCourt Dissolves Marriage After Wife Accused of Nose Ring, Ankle Chain, TikTok Videos with Lover
-
Entertainment2 days agoOsun Election: Davido Alleges Soldiers Tried to Stop Him from Entering State
-
metro2 days ago[UPDATED] Osun Election: Police Arrest Lawmaker with 200 PVCs, 146 Suspected Electoral Mercenaries
-
metro2 days agoWorking in Canada Without a Permit: IRCC Warns of Serious Immigration Consequences
-
Politics2 days agoAPC Humiliates Aregbesola, Wins His Polling Unit in Osun Governorship Election
