Connect with us

metro

Presidency: Stop embarrassing Nigeria, Ezekwesili faults Emefiele’s response

Published

on

Oby Ezekwesili

Nigeria’s former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, has faulted the response given by the Central Bank of Nigeria’s Governor, Godwin Emefiele, over calls for his resignation.

Many Nigerians, including the former education minister, had asked Emefiele to resign his position as CBN governor or be sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari over his presidential ambition.

There had been reports that the All Progressives Congress Expression of Interest and Nomination forms were purchased for Emefiele to contest the 2023 presidential election by his supporters.

A coalition comprising Rice Farmers Association, Emefiele Support Group and Friends of Godwin on Friday reportedly obtained the forms for him.

The CBN governor earlier denied having an interest in the presidential race but made a U-turn on Saturday.

In his response to the public outcry that greeted his purchase of nomination forms, Emefiele said he would decide on whether to contest or not in a few days.

Ezekwesili asked the CBN governor to stop embarrassing Nigeria by resigning his position.

READ ALSO:

She said this in a serie s of tweets on Saturday.

She posted, “I just read your waffling neither-here-nor-there tweet reacting to news of your payment of N100M for the APC Nomination form for 2023 Presidential election. Seems you did not read what the APC Spokesperson said to
@Bloomberg. Resign. Stop embarrassing the country. Stop.

“@GodwinIEmefiele, this is for you. Time to end your low-grade hide and seek game that dangerously toys with the monetary authority of this country and its people. Resign.

“It is legitimate aspiration to seek to be President of Nigeria but resign from
@cenbank to go pursue it.”

Reacting through his verified twitter handle, Emefiele said that, should he decide to contest for the political office, he would prefer to use his personal resources.

He said, “I am humbled by the growing interest of those asking that I run for the office of president in the 2023 general elections: I have not come to that decision.

“I note and salute the sacrifices of those farmers and patriots going as far as raising personal funds and offering me presidential nomination forms: I thank them most profusely.

”However, should I answer their calls and decide to seek presidential nomination, I will use my own hard earned savings to buy my own nomination forms.

“I will do so without proxies, in an open and transparent manner in full compliance with the laws and Constitution of The Federal Republic of Nigeria,” he said.

He said that he would continue to serve the country in his capacity as CBN governor until he received divine counsel to contest for a higher office.

“I will continue to serve and sacrifice for the good people of Nigeria under the able leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“This is a serious decision that requires God’s Divine intervention: in the next few days The Almighty will so direct,” he said.

EAGLE

metro

Eko Disco worker stabbed for disconnecting Lagos customer

Published

on

An employee of Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC) has been stabbed while on duty and currently on admission in a Lagos hospital.

Spokesman for the company, Godwin Idemudia, in a statement, said the assault on Mr Sanmi Mathew Akanni, an EKDC’s worker with Ikate zone team of the company under its Orile district on November 29, 2022.

Idemudia said Sanmi was assaulted by one Mr Ayomide Oyebanjo after an illegal connection was discovered.

He said, “While in the process of disconnecting the illegal connection, bottles were broken by Oyebanjo and the driver Sanmi was stabbed severally, we have pictorial evidence to prove this.”

He said the case was reported at Itire Police Station by the company’s District Legal Officer and the culprit was arrested.

He was charged to court on Wednesday November 30th, refused bail and remanded at Ikoyi Prison.

Idemudia expressed his worry over the inhumane acts, adding that the company has a zero-tolerance policy on assault and would go to the full extent of the law to ensure that perpetrators were brought to justice.

According to the statement, the company is currently implementing initiatives to reduce the number of assaults on workers.

He urged customers to assist the company in its fight against assault and other unlawful activities. Idemudia urged customers to seek more diplomatic and efficient means of settling grievances.

Continue Reading

metro

Aminu Adamu Mohammed apologises to Aisha Buhari, in new tweet

Published

on

Aminu Adamu Mohammed, a final year university student who just released from detention over his criticism of wife of the President Aisha Buhari has tweeted an apology to the First Lady.

“I would like to use this medium to express my sincere apologies to those I’ve hurt especially our mother, Aisha Buhari, it was never my intention to hurt your feelings and insha Allah I will change for the better. However, I’m also grateful for your forgiveness, thank u mama,” he stated in his latest tweet.

The Department of State Services (DSS), otherwise called the State Security Services, has locked up a student of the Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State, over a social media post deemed defamatory against Nigeria’s First Lady, Aisha Buhari.

According to Peoples Gazette, the student, Aminu Adamu Muhammed, had in June 2022 posted on Twitter that Mrs Buhari had suddenly added massive weight after taking part in plundering the nation’s meagre resources as the masses endured hardship under her husband’s brutal regime.

In the June 8, 2022, tweet, Muhammed chastised the First Lady in Hausa, stating in a tweet, “Su mama anchi kudin talkawa ankoshi”, which could be translated as “The mother has got fatter by eating masses’ money.”

Muhammed’s friends said he made the post because he was frustrated about the prolonged strike by universities across the country.

The strike, which started in February 2022, ended in October after eight months of idleness.

Police detectives had arrested the young man, a student of the Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State, over the social media post deemed defamatory against Nigeria’s First Lady.

Muhammed, 23, was said to have been picked up on November 8 on the campus ground of Federal University Dutse, Jigawa.

The student was reportedly subjected to severe beating by the officers following his arrest at about 12 noon.

 

He was transferred to Abuja and briefly allowed to contact his father Adamu Shalele Azare about his location.

Condemnations had trailed the arrest of Mohammed. Notable Nigerians including social activist, Aisha Yesufu, knocked Aisha for allegedly using her power against the student.

The National Association of Nigerian Students, many human rights groups including concerned women/mother organisations spoke against the arrest and detention of the undergraduate.

NANS even threatened a protest before the First Lady withdrew the case against him and he was released on the order of a high court judge.

Continue Reading

metro

Community goes spiritual as Ondo monarch’s kidnappers demand N100m

Published

on

Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami

After 72 hours in captivity,  abductors of the traditional ruler of Oso Ajowa-Akoko, Oba Clement Olukotun, in the  Akoko North-West Local Government Area of Ondo State, have contacted his family, demanding N100m ransom for his release.

Oba Jimoh was abducted on Thursday at about 10.15pm, at his residence by some armed men who took him to an unknown destination.

A source narrated that when  the gunmen stormed his residence, they shot sporadically into the air. They also shot at the main door of the monarch’s residence to gain access into building.

A source in the family told our correspondent on Saturday that, “The kidnappers have contacted the family and demanded N100m.”

According to the source, a combined forces of the  police and local hunters have begun intensive search for the monarch, combing the forest from Ajowa to Kogi State border communities.

READ ALSO:

The source added, “We received a call from them early today. One of the family members received the call. We can now confirm that the invaders were kidnappers. They demanded a sum of N100m as ransom for Kabiyesi to be set free. Where can we get such a huge amount? This is beyond our reach.

“We are pleading with the Ondo State Government, leaders of Akoko North-West Local Government and other Nigerians to help us out, so that Kabiyesi can be released sound and safe from where he is being held captive.”

It was also gathered that the residents of the community had sought spiritual assistance, as they organised an inter-denominational service to pray for the release and safe return of the monarch.

A community leader,  Mr Soji Ogedengbe, disclosed that an interdenominational prayer, fasting and vigil were ongoing for the purpose of getting the kidnapped monarch released.

The Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, said the men of the command were still in the forest to rescue the monarch.

“Efforts are still ongoing to rescue the victim,” the police spokesperson said.

Punch

Continue Reading

Trending