Rockets fired at Kabul airport as Afghan withdrawal looms - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Rockets fired at Kabul airport as Afghan withdrawal looms

Published

on

About five rockets were fired at Kabul airport early on Monday, a US official said, as the United States rushed to complete its withdrawal from Afghanistan to end its longest war.

Afghan media said the attack was launched from the back of a vehicle. The Pajhwok news agency said several rockets struck different parts of the Afghan capital.

According to Reuters, initial reports did not indicate any US casualties. The attack followed a huge Islamic State suicide bombing outside the airport gates on Thursday that killed scores of Afghans and 13 US troops and another reported attempted bombing on Sunday.

The US and allied forces have evacuated about 114,400 people, including foreign nationals and Afghans deemed “at risk”, in an effort that began a day before Kabul fell to the Taliban on August 15.

The forces themselves are due to pull out by a Tuesday deadline agreed with the Islamist militants.

US President Joe Biden reconfirmed his order for commanders to do “whatever is necessary to protect our forces on the ground” after he was briefed on Monday’s rocket fire, the White House said. He was told airport operations continued uninterrupted, it added.

On Sunday, Pentagon officials said a US drone strike killed a suicide car bomber who had been preparing to attack the airport on behalf of ISIS-K, a local affiliate of Islamic State that is an enemy of both the West and the Taliban.

US Central Command said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties.

“We know there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties,” it said.

The drone attack killed seven people, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told China’s state television CGTN on Monday, criticising the U.S. action on foreign soil as unlawful.

It was the second such condemnation after a U.S. drone strike on Saturday killed two Islamic State militants in the eastern province of Nangarhar, in an attack the spokesman said had wounded two women and a child.

Afghans fearful of reprisals under Taliban rule continued to crowd the airport, appealing to foreign powers for a way out.

“We are in danger,” said one woman outside the airport. “They must show us a way to be saved. We must leave Afghanistan or they must provide a safe place for us.”

Two U.S. officials told Reuters evacuations would continue on Monday, prioritising people deemed at extreme risk. Other countries have also put in last-minute requests to bring out people in that category, the officials said.

The Taliban will take full control of Kabul airport after the American withdrawal on Tuesday, Qatar’s Al Jazeera television network cited an unidentified Taliban source as saying.

As the evacuations wind down, a “far greater humanitarian crisis” looms ahead for the nation of 39 million people, the UN refugee agency warned.

Agency chief Filippo Grandi reiterated a call for borders to remain open and for more countries to share the “humanitarian responsibility” of accepting refugees with Iran and Pakistan, which already host 2.2 million Afghans.

“More resettlement options are sorely needed. They are critically important, not only to save lives but also as a demonstration of good will,” added Grandi, whose agency said last week that up to 500,000 Afghans could flee by year-end.

News

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Published

on

Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede
Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, has clarified that the council has never received financial support from any government, either within or outside Nigeria. Speaking in Lagos at the 31st Annual Pre-Ramadan Lecture of the University of Lagos Muslim Alumni (UMA), Oloyede stressed that the NSCIA operates independently and relies largely on modest private donations to sustain its activities.

Oloyede, who also serves as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), explained that in his 15-year tenure as NSCIA Secretary-General, the council had not received “a kobo” from any government. He added that fewer than 20 individuals have donated amounts up to ₦500,000 since 2013, highlighting that the council functions without significant external funding. He decried misinformation and divisive narratives suggesting government involvement under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Saad Abubakar, noting that such speculation undermines unity within Nigeria’s Muslim community.

READ ALSO:

Speaking on the theme “Muslims: The Challenge of National Security,” Oloyede warned against viewing insecurity, terrorism, and banditry through a religious lens. He said extremists often cloak their violent acts in religious language, but such actions do not reflect Islam. “Islam cannot be determined by what extremists say or do. We have a duty to correct that narrative,” he said, urging Muslims to reject all forms of extremism while understanding that insurgency thrives on enabling political, social, and economic conditions.

Oloyede stressed that security is central to Sharia, emphasizing that a true Muslim is someone “from whose actions neighbours — regardless of their faith — are safe and secure.” He cautioned against reducing insecurity to regional or religious differences, noting that all parts of Nigeria face security challenges. He called on Muslims to embrace moral responsibility, civic accountability, and practical partnerships to improve national security.

Other speakers at the lecture also highlighted the societal dimensions of insecurity. Dr. Ridwan Jamiu, Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, described insurgents as agents of evil and stressed the need for religious leaders to promote peace and guide followers toward positive community engagement. Lagos State Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa identified poverty and economic inequality as key drivers of insecurity and urged the government and policymakers to focus on job creation, education, and inclusive development as long-term solutions.

The lecture, part of the annual pre-Ramadan engagements, comes at a time when Nigeria continues to grapple with complex security challenges, including insurgency in the Northeast, banditry in the Northwest and North-Central, and rising violent crime in the South. Experts emphasize that national cohesion, interfaith cooperation, and community-led security initiatives are vital to tackling these threats effectively.

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Continue Reading

News

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Published

on

MOON CRESCENT

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

The Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia has urged Muslims across the Kingdom to look for the Ramadan crescent moon on the evening of Tuesday, February 17, 2026, to determine the official start of Ramadan 1447 AH. The court emphasized that community participation in moon sighting is vital for confirming the beginning of the holy month.

In an official statement relayed by the Saudi Press Agency, the Supreme Court instructed anyone who spots the new moon crescent — either with the naked eye or using binoculars — to report their observation to the nearest court and ensure their testimony is recorded. Local centres have also been set up to assist observers in reaching judicial offices.

The Kingdom has established moon sighting committees across regions to coordinate observations and support public involvement. Authorities encouraged citizens to actively participate, noting that their contributions are essential to help Muslims across Saudi Arabia begin Ramadan in unity.

READ ALSO:

Tuesday corresponds to 29 Sha’ban 1447 AH in the Islamic lunar calendar. If the crescent moon is sighted, Ramadan 1447 AH will commence on Wednesday, February 18, 2026. If the moon is not visible, Sha’ban will be completed as 30 days, and Ramadan will begin on Thursday, February 19, 2026. This aligns with centuries-old Islamic tradition of lunar observation.

Muslims worldwide, including in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, are preparing for Ramadan, a sacred month of fasting, prayer, reflection, and charity. Astronomical forecasts suggest visibility may vary across regions, making local observations and testimonies crucial. Similar calls for crescent moon sightings have also been issued by authorities in countries such as Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

The Supreme Court’s announcement underscores the importance of lunar observation in Islamic practice and encourages public engagement to ensure a synchronized start of Ramadan across the Kingdom.

Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening

Continue Reading

News

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Published

on

Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El‑Rufai
Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

The Presidency has dismissed former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai’s recent claim that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) procured thallium sulphate, describing it as a politically motivated attempt to stir tension and divert attention from corruption allegations linked to his tenure in Kaduna State.

Officials said the allegation comes shortly after the Kaduna State House of Assembly reportedly endorsed a petition to the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), urging investigations into alleged financial improprieties totaling N432 billion during El-Rufai’s administration. The anti-graft agencies have since invited him for questioning.

Reacting to El-Rufai’s inquiry to the NSA, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, said the former governor was spreading misinformation capable of generating fear and unrest, while attempting to portray himself as a victim. Ajayi stressed that no government procurement or importation of thallium sulphate had taken place through ONSA.

READ ALSO:

“Mallam El-Rufai certainly got a reply to his letter from the NSA’s office, and he should be honourable enough to release it just as he mischievously released his own letter,” Ajayi said in a statement shared on social media.

According to the Presidency, El-Rufai’s actions are designed to create political instability and shift public focus away from the corruption allegations he faces. The statement argued that he is attempting to “nationalise his personal challenges” with the Kaduna State Government, insisting the controversy is not about President Bola Tinubu or the NSA, but about his waning political influence after eight years in office.

The Presidency further claimed El-Rufai had lost support from key stakeholders in Kaduna, including political allies, and had fallen out with his successor, Uba Sani, whom he had previously endorsed. Government officials urged the former governor to abandon political theatrics and address the allegations through appropriate legal and institutional channels.

The controversy comes amid heightened attention to both the thallium sulphate claim and the ongoing N432 billion Kaduna corruption probe, with analysts observing potential political and legal implications for the former governor.

Presidency Dismisses El-Rufai’s Thallium Claim as Diversion From N432bn Probe

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending