Connect with us

International

Russian Airstrike on Ukrainian Shopping Mall Leaves 20 Civilians Dead, Over 40 Missing

Published

on

A missile attack from Russian forces hit a shopping mall housing several civilians in Kremenchuk, Ukraine, on Monday.

After a search-and-rescue operation overnight, Dmytro Lunin, the head of the Poltava region military administration, confirmed 18 persons dead on Tuesday. The Office of the President of Ukraine has now updated the number of deaths to 20.

According to Lunin, about 36 people were still missing and the death toll could rise. CNN quoted Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Ukrainian President, to have said that up to 1,000 people were in the mall before the announcement of the air raid.

“Fortunately, as far as we know, at that time, many people managed to get out. They managed to get out, but there were still people inside – workers and some visitors,” Zelenskyy said.

READ ALSO:

Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the Deputy Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, revealed the number of casualties at a briefing on Tuesday.

“Yesterday the occupiers launched an insidious missile strike on a shopping mall in Kremenchuk,” Tymoshenko said. “There were about a thousand people. More than 20 are already known to have been killed and 59 wounded, 25 of whom were hospitalised.”

He also said that there were more than 40 statements from relatives about missing people who may have been in the mall during the shelling.

Dmytro Kuleba, Ukraine’s foreign affairs minister, called Russia a country of murderers and liars. He decried Russia’s denial of attacking the mall in Kremenchuk.

The Kremlin maintains that it attacked an arms depot which led to a fire that affected the mall.

International

Massive explosions rock Russian base in Crimea in major blow to Putin

Published

on

Huge columns of smoke were seen rising above the Crimean air base (Picture: Reuters)

Huge explosions have rocked an air base in occupied Crimea, a symbolic blow to Vladimir Putin’s war effort.

Ukrainian authorities have stopped short of formally confirming its missiles hit the target but an advisor to Volodymyr Zelensky strongly hinted this was the case.

It would mark the first major strike on a Russian asset in the peninsula since the February invasion began.

At more than 200km away from any territory held by Ukraine, it will also be seen as a vindication of the West’s strategy to provide Kyiv with long range missiles.

Kremlin troops have occupied the area since 2014 and have used it as a staging ground for its assault on the south of Ukraine.

Tourists at nearby resorts were reportedly evacuated as huge pillars of black smoke rose over the skyline.

READ ALSO:

Russian authorities said at least one person was killed when munitions blew up at Saki air base.

The defence ministry insisted the installation had not been shelled, a similar approach to denials issued in the wake of the sinking of the Moskva ship by a Ukrainian missile.

TASS, a Russian news agency, reported a military source claiming it was caused ‘only [by the] violation of fire safety standards.

The Kremlin has consistently claimed a fire which spread to munitions sunk the Moskva, the Black Sea fleet flagship which went down in April and gave Ukrainians a major morale boost.

Mykhailo Podolyak, an aide to the Ukrainian president, wrote on Twitter after the Crimea blast: ‘Demilitarization of the Russian Federation — an integral part of global security ensuring.

‘The future of the Crimea is to be a pearl of the Black Sea, a national park with unique nature and a world resort. Not a military base for terrorists. It is just the beginning.’

Crimea’s head Sergei Aksyonov said ambulances and medical helicopters were sent to the Saki air base and the area was sealed off within a radius of three miles.

It remains to be seen how the Kremlin will response after it previously threatened to strike ‘decision-making centres’ in Kyiv if Crimea was targeted.

Ukrainian officials earlier confirmed three people were killed and 23 more wounded in various shelling incidents, including near the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant.

Metro

Continue Reading

International

Kenya Elections 2022: Raila Odinga and William Ruto in Tight Race for President

Published

on

Kenyans are choosing their next president after an intense campaign dominated by debates about living costs, unemployment and corruption.

Outgoing President Uhuru Kenyatta, having served the constitutionally limited two terms, is backing one-time foe Raila Odinga, 77, to succeed him.

His decision followed a falling out with Deputy President William Ruto, 55, who had expected to be endorsed.

More than 22 million Kenyans have registered to vote.

There are several other elections happening at the same time and a mix-up of ballot papers in some areas for some of those votes has again raised questions about the organisation of the general election.

Polls are open for 11 hours from 06:00 local time (03:00 GMT). Anyone still in the queue at closing time will be allowed to vote.

The results of the last presidential election in 2017 were annulled after the Supreme Court ruled that the electoral commission had not followed the law when it came to the electronic transmission of the vote tallies from the polling stations.

READ ALSO:

Judges ruled that “illegalities and irregularities” had taken place.

A re-run was won by Mr Kenyatta, but boycotted by Mr Odinga – the main opposition candidate at the time.

The chairman of the electoral commission, Wafula Chebukati, who was also in charge of the 2017 vote, has frequently tried to reassure Kenyans that his team will be up to the task this time.

But Monday’s logistical problems have increased the pressure on him.

Baba v Hustler

This election looks like it will be a tight race between frontrunners Mr Odinga and Mr Ruto.

Mr Odinga – a long-serving opposition leader, nicknamed Baba (“father”) by his supporters, is running for president for a fifth time. Mr Ruto, who has tried to emphasise his connection with ordinary Kenyans by calling himself a “hustler”, will be taking his first stab at the presidency.

Two other candidates – David Mwaure and George Wajackoya – are also in the race.

Despite the campaign being dominated by issues, ethnic loyalty may also play a part in determining how people vote.

For the first time in the multi-party era none of the main candidates are from the country’s largest ethnic group – Kikuyu.

But knowing that those votes are vital, both have chosen Kikuyu running mates.

Voting process

To win the presidential race in the first round, a candidate needs:

  • more than half of all the votes cast across the country
  • at least 25% of the votes cast in a minimum of 24 counties.
Voters will also be choosing MPs and senators to go to the national parliament, county governors and county assembly members, as well as 47 women’s representatives to sit in the National Assembly.

On election day, voters will have their fingerprint scanned to check their identity but a printed register can also be used if the machines fail.

Each voter will then be given colour-coded ballot papers for each of the elections, which they will mark in a private booth and drop in the relevant ballot boxes.

Counting will start at the polling stations shortly after voting ends. Officials will then take a photo of the final tally and send the image to both the constituency and national tallying centres.

To ensure transparency the media, political parties and civil society groups have been urged to run their own tallies using final results declared at the more than 40,000 polling stations.

But only the electoral commission can declare the winner of the presidential election after verifying the physical and digital forms sent to the national tallying centre.

The main presidential candidates have vowed to respect the result of the elections.

NPO

Continue Reading

International

Donald Trump says FBI raided his Mar-a-Lago home

Published

on

Donald Trump

Federal investigators searched the contents of Donald Trump’s safe at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, the former president said in a statement on Monday, the latest indication of an intensifying criminal investigation by the justice department into his affairs.

The FBI executed a search warrant around 6pm ET at Trump’s residence, which appears to have been related to an investigation into Trump unlawfully taking White House documents with him to Mar-a-Lago after his presidency, according to a source familiar with the matter.

“My beautiful home, Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida, is currently under siege, raided, and occupied by a large group of FBI agents,” Trump said in a bitter statement lashing out at the raid, adding: “They even broke into my safe!”

READ ALSO:

During his presidency, Mar-a-Lago was known as Trump’s “winter White House”. Donald and Melania returned to the Florida resort after leaving Washington and since then, the president has made it the center of his political dealings.

The raid comes as Trump has been laying the foundations for another presidential run in 2024, and in the wake of a series of damning public hearings that laid out his and his allies’ role in the events leading up to the storming of the US capitol on 6 January.

In a furious statement, Trump compared the FBI raid to “Watergate” and blamed it on “Radical Left Democrats” who he said “desperately don’t want me to run for president in 2024 … who will do anything to stop Republicans and Conservatives in the upcoming midterms elections”.

Continue Reading

Trending