Rwandan genocide suspect arrested in S.Africa, to face extradition hearing – Newstrends
Connect with us

Africa

Rwandan genocide suspect arrested in S.Africa, to face extradition hearing

Published

on

Fulgence Kayishema

Rwandan genocide suspect arrested in S.Africa, to face extradition hearing

A Rwandan man accused of ordering the killing of some 2,000 Tutsis who were seeking refuge in a church during the 1994 genocide has been arrested in South Africa, a UN war crimes tribunal and South African police said on Thursday.

Former police officer Fulgence Kayishema had been on the run since 2001, when the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) indicted him for genocide over his role in the destruction of the Nyange Catholic Church in Kibuye Prefecture.

“His arrest ensures that he will finally face justice for his alleged crimes,” said Serge Brammertz, prosecutor at the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT), which has replaced the ICTR since it wound up in 2008.

An elite South African police unit known as the Hawks said its officers had arrested Kayishema, who was living under the false name Donatien Nibashumba, at a grape farm in Paarl, in Western Cape province, on Wednesday.

Kayishema will stay in custody and appear in Bellville Magistrate’s court on Friday, pending his extradition to Rwanda, the unit said in a statement.

READ ALSO:

Stéphane Dujarric, spokesperson for U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres, said the arrest sent a powerful message to those who commit crimes like Kayishema’s.

“Ending impunity is essential for peace, security and justice,” he said in a statement.

In her first comment on the arrest, Rwandan government spokesperson Yolande Makolo tweeted: “Finally.”

An estimated 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and Hutu moderates were killed during Rwanda’s genocide, orchestrated by an extremist Hutu regime and meticulously executed by local officials and ordinary citizens in the rigidly hierarchical society.

“Seeing these people arrested brings healing to the survivors,” said Naphtal Ahishakiye, executive secretary of Ibuka, an umbrella group representing survivors.

Kayishema has been on the U.S. State Department’s wanted list under the Rewards for Justice Programme, with a $5 million reward offered for his arrest.

Brammertz said the investigation that led to his arrest spanned multiple countries in Africa and beyond, and was made possible through the support of South African authorities.

In May 2020, another mastermind of the genocide, Felicien Kabuga, was arrested in France after 26 years on the run.

Kayishema’s arrest means there are now only three fugitives indicted by the international tribunal whose whereabouts remain unknown, though Makolo said Rwanda considers that a greater number of suspects have yet to be caught.

“Nearly 30 years later, we have a long list of Rwandan genocide fugitives still at large in several countries around the world,” she told Reuters.

“We will continue to work with partner states and institutions to ensure that they are held to account.” (Reuters/NAN)

Africa

600 Egyptian pilgrims confirmed dead in Saudi Arabia

Published

on

600 Egyptian pilgrims confirmed dead in Saudi Arabia

No fewer than 600 Egyptian pilgrims have been confirmed dead during the 2024 Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

This is as friends and family yesterday continued to search for missing Egyptian pilgrims. An Arab diplomat said at least 600 Egyptian pilgrims died during the 2024 Hajj pilgrimage in the holy land.

This was after Arab officials earlier reported a figure of at least 323 Egyptian deaths at the annual rituals.

READ ALSO:

The deaths were linked to the searing heat that reached 51.8 degrees Celsius (125 degrees Fahrenheit) on Monday, June 17.

Even pilgrims who have official permits can be vulnerable. Houria Ahmad Abdallah Sharif, a 70-year-old Egyptian pilgrim, has been missing since Saturday. After praying on Mount Arafat, she told a friend she wanted to go to a public bathroom to clean her abaya, but she never came back.

“We’ve searched for her from door to door and we have not found her,” said the friend, who also spoke on condition of anonymity. They added: “We know many who are still searching for their family members and relatives and they are not finding them, or if they are finding them they are finding them dead.”

600 Egyptian pilgrims confirmed dead in Saudi Arabia

Continue Reading

Africa

Funeral convoy of Malawi VP kills 4 mourners, injures 12

Published

on

Funeral convoy of Malawi VP kills 4 mourners

Funeral convoy of Malawi VP kills 4 mourners, injures 12

A vehicle in the convoy of Malawi’s late vice president’s funeral procession rammed into mourners at a village on Sunday night, killing four people and injuring 12, police said.

It was part of a motorcade transporting the body of Saulos Chilima, who died in a plane crash earlier this week.

The vehicle plunged into a crowd in Ntcheu a village in central Malawi.

The car, along with other military, police, and civilian vehicles, was headed to Nsipe, Chilima’s home village, 180 kilometres (110 miles) south of the capital Lilongwe, ahead of his burial on Monday — which has been declared a public holiday.

“Due to the impact the two female and two male pedestrians sustained severe head injuries and multiple fractures and died whilst receiving treatment” said a police statement.

READ ALSO:

Police spokesman Peter Kalaya told AFP 12 more people had been injured.

Thousands of people had lined up in the streets to catch a glimpse of the vice president’s coffin.

An eyewitness told AFP that the vehicle plunged into the group as it attempted to manuever away from the volatile crowd.

Felix Njawala, spokesman for Chilima’s party, said there was some tension along the route as mourners demanded the procession stop so they could see the coffin.

“In Dedza, people blocked the road and demanded to see the coffin” he told AFP, “only when the convoy stopped were people pacified and the convoy was able to proceed” adding that in some instances people threw stones at the convoy.

While he acknowledged that party supporters had questions, he called on them to maintain peace.

Funeral convoy of Malawi VP kills 4 mourners, injures 12

Continue Reading

Africa

Kenyan policeman shoots magistrate in open court

Published

on

Kenyan policeman shoots magistrate in open court

A police officer shot and injured magistrate Monica Kivuti at the Makadara Law Courts in Nairobi on Thursday, June 13 after she denied bail for his wife.

The officer was then killed in a shootout with other officers. Kivuti and three officers injured in the incident are stable and receiving treatment, according to a local news report.

READ ALSO:

Chief Justice Martha Koome confirmed the shooter intended to kill the magistrate and ordered increased security at all courts.

The policeman’s wife had pleaded guilty to obtaining 2.9 million Kenyan shillings ($22,700) by false pretences.

The officer entered the court through the magistrate’s door and shot Kivuti in the chest and hip before being fatally shot by another officer.

Kenyan policeman shoots magistrate in open court

Continue Reading

Trending