Sanwo-Olu sues EFCC over alleged plan to arrest, prosecute him after tenure - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Sanwo-Olu sues EFCC over alleged plan to arrest, prosecute him after tenure

Published

on

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Sanwo-Olu sues EFCC over alleged plan to arrest, prosecute him after tenure

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has sued the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over an alleged threat to arrest, detain and prosecute him after his tenure as governor.

Sanwo-Olu, through his lawyer, Darlington Ozurumba, filed the fundamental right enforcement suit before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of a Federal High Court in Abuja.

When the matter was called for mention on Tuesday, Ozurumba informed the court that he had withdrawn the earlier originating summons filed and replaced it with a new one.

The lawyer said the anti-graft agency had been duly served with the latest court documents.
However, EFCC’s counsel, Hadiza Afegbua, said she was yet to see the documents.

Besides, the proof of service of the processes was not in the court file and Justice Abdulmalik adjourned the matter until Nov. 11 for further mention.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that in the originating summons, marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/773/2024 dated and filed on June 6, the governor raised seven questions and sought 11 reliefs.

Sanwo-Olu sought a declaration that under and by virtue of the provisions of Section 37 of the 1999 Constitution, “the plaintiff, as a citizen of Nigeria, is entitled to the right to private and family life as a minimum guarantee encapsulated under the Constitution of the Republic of Nigeria, 1999 before, during and after the occupation of a public office created by the Constitution.”

He wants the court to declare that under and by virtue of the provisions of Sections 43 and 44(1) of the 1999 Constitution, he is entitled to acquire, own, operate and manage both moveable and immovable property.

READ ALSO:

This, he said, includes bank accounts, as a minimum guarantee encapsulated under the constitution either before, during or after leaving the public office of governor of a state.

He also wants the court to declare that upon community reading of the provisions of Sections 35(1) & (4) and 41(1) of the constitution, the threat of his investigation, arrest and detention by the EFCC during his tenure of office as governor is illegal.

He also said that the plan to arrest him was unconstitutional and a flagrant violation of his fundamental right to personal liberty and freedom of movement as guaranteed under Sections 35(1) & (4) and 41(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 ( as amended).

metro

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Published

on

Speaker, House of Reps, Tajudeen Abbas

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

 

Abuja — Tension erupted at the National Assembly on Tuesday as opposition lawmakers staged a dramatic walkout in protest against the approval of manual collation of election results as a backup to electronic transmission.

The controversy unfolded during plenary when a motion seeking to adopt manual collation as a contingency measure in the event of technical failure of electronic transmission systems was presented for consideration. While the majority lawmakers supported the proposal, opposition members strongly objected, arguing that the move could undermine electoral transparency and public confidence in the electoral process.

Heated Debate on the Floor

The debate quickly grew intense as several opposition representatives warned that reintroducing manual collation, even as a backup, could open the door to manipulation and irregularities.

One opposition lawmaker described the decision as “a dangerous step backward,” insisting that Nigeria’s electoral reforms were designed to eliminate the flaws associated with manual processes. According to them, reliance on manual collation in previous elections had been a major source of disputes and litigation.

However, lawmakers from the majority caucus defended the proposal, stating that the backup option was necessary to safeguard the integrity of elections in situations where electronic systems malfunction due to network failure, cyber threats, or logistical challenges.

A ranking member of the majority party argued that “no responsible legislature should ignore the possibility of technical glitches,” stressing that manual collation would only serve as a last resort and not replace electronic transmission.

Dramatic Walkout

Following the Speaker’s ruling allowing the motion to proceed to approval by voice vote, opposition lawmakers rose from their seats in protest. Chanting “No to manual manipulation” and “Protect our votes,” they exited the chamber en masse.

The walkout temporarily disrupted proceedings, drawing reactions from observers and legislative aides present in the gallery.

Despite the protest, the remaining lawmakers proceeded to adopt the motion, effectively approving manual collation as a backup mechanism pending further legislative fine-tuning and possible amendments to the electoral framework.

Implications for Electoral Reform

The development is expected to generate significant political debate across party lines and among civil society organizations. Advocacy groups have consistently pushed for full electronic transmission of results to minimize human interference and enhance credibility.

Political analysts say the decision could become a flashpoint ahead of future elections, especially given past controversies surrounding result collation.

As of press time, leaders of the opposition caucus were reportedly preparing a joint press briefing to outline their position and next steps, including the possibility of seeking judicial interpretation if the approval translates into legislative amendments.

Further updates will follow as the situation develops.

BREAKING: Drama in NASS as Reps Clash Over Backup Manual Result Collation

Continue Reading

metro

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

Published

on

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

The Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, Sheikh Al-Imam Barrister Bilal Husayn Akinola Akeugberu, on Tuesday paid a courtesy visit to the Zonal Deputy Controller of the Nigeria Customs Service, DC Wale Moses Adewole, at the Oyo and Osun Zonal Directorate Office, Agodi Secretariat, Ibadan.

The visit, which took place on February 17, 2026, was marked by warm reception and professional camaraderie, underscoring a shared commitment to institutional cooperation and national development.

According to a statement issued by the Media Office of the Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Land, the engagement forms part of the Imam’s ongoing outreach to key government institutions aimed at strengthening moral values, civic responsibility, and harmonious relationships between religious leadership and public agencies.

In his remarks, Sheikh Akeugberu commended DC Adewole and officers of the Nigeria Customs Service for what he described as their dedication to safeguarding the nation’s economic frontiers, facilitating legitimate trade, and contributing significantly to national revenue generation.

He emphasized that integrity, transparency, and accountability remain indispensable pillars of effective public service, noting that religious and public institutions must work collaboratively to promote ethical standards within society.

The Imam further reiterated that Islam promotes justice, fairness, and lawful conduct in all spheres of life. He assured the Customs leadership of the Muslim community’s continued support in encouraging compliance with lawful regulations and fostering a culture of discipline and responsibility.

Responding, DC Wale Moses Adewole expressed appreciation for the visit, describing it as inspiring and encouraging. He acknowledged the important role religious leaders play in shaping moral consciousness, patriotism, and discipline among citizens.

Adewole reaffirmed the commitment of the Oyo and Osun Zonal Directorate to professionalism, fairness, and efficient service delivery in line with the mandate of the Nigeria Customs Service.

The meeting, described as cordial and intellectually engaging, concluded with special prayers offered by the Grand Chief Imam for divine guidance, wisdom, and continued success for the Customs leadership and the entire Service.

The visit, stakeholders say, reinforces the collective aspiration for a peaceful, law-abiding, and economically progressive Oyo State and Nigeria at large.

 

Grand Chief Imam of Oyo Pays Courtesy Visit to Customs Zonal Deputy Controller in Ibadan

Continue Reading

metro

Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause

Published

on

House of Representatives

Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause

Tension escalated at the National Assembly on Monday after members of the House of Representatives failed to attend a joint conference committee meeting with the Senate aimed at harmonising the Electoral Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2026. The absence of House lawmakers stalled efforts to reconcile differences over Clause 60(3), which governs the electronic transmission of election results.

The session, initially scheduled for 11:00 a.m., did not proceed as senators waited in vain for their House counterparts. Later, senators reconvened at the office of Senator Simon Lalong, chairman of the Senate Committee on Electoral Matters, but the stalemate persisted. A second attempt in the afternoon also failed, with only a few lawmakers present, leaving the harmonisation process in limbo.

At the core of the dispute is the mandatory electronic transmission of results from polling units. The House version requires real-time uploading of results to INEC’s Result Viewing Portal (IREV), while the Senate adopted a more cautious approach, allowing electronic transmission but making the physical result sheet (Form EC8A) the primary document where network challenges occur. Senators cited concerns about uneven internet coverage and power supply gaps, stressing the need for a pragmatic approach nationwide.

The disagreement comes less than a year before the February 20, 2027 general elections, rekindling debates over electoral credibility. Memories of the 2023 presidential election, when delays in IREV uploads triggered widespread criticism, legal disputes, and political tension, remain fresh. Analysts warn that failure to harmonise the law could undermine public confidence in future elections.

READ ALSO:

Telecom operators have insisted that infrastructure is sufficient to support electronic transmission. The Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) highlighted that even basic 2G networks can reliably transmit results, while broadband penetration now exceeds 50 percent, with over 109 million active subscriptions nationwide. Experts say that transparency, system testing, and public trust will be crucial for the success of reforms ahead of 2027.

Civil society groups, including Situation Room Nigeria and Action Aid, have protested outside the National Assembly, urging lawmakers to adopt mandatory real-time electronic transmission to ensure transparency and minimise the risk of election manipulation. Youth and reform organisations also stress that allowing manual fallback options could reintroduce vulnerabilities that past reforms sought to eliminate.

The impasse highlights the importance of legal clarity and political will in safeguarding Nigeria’s electoral integrity. Observers note that beyond infrastructure, the cooperation of lawmakers, INEC, and security agencies will determine whether the next general election restores public trust or exacerbates existing doubts.

Deadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending