metro
Senate worries as FG’s electricity debt hits N800bn
Senate worries as FG’s electricity debt hits N800bn
The Senate Committee on Power has raised an alarm over the worsening liquidity crisis in Nigeria’s power sector, revealing that the Federal Government owes electricity generating companies (GenCos) an estimated N200bn monthly in tariff shortfalls.
Speaking at a retreat organised by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) in Ikot-Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State, the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, stated that no payment has been made to power producers so far this year, pushing the total debt for 2025 to about N800bn. This is in addition to the over N3tn already owed to GenCos.
“I will not be able to just, in this short interview, give you the statistics of these things. But there’s one key statistic that is very, very necessary for Nigerians to know. There’s a liquidity crisis in the power sector. The generating companies are owed so much, the distribution companies are also owed so much.
“The tariff shortfall that we have means that every month the government owes N200bn of payments, and for this year, 2025, no payment has been made. In other words, we’re already short by N800bn. Before this time, we had about N3tn debt to the generating companies. The generating companies owe the gas suppliers. The gas suppliers cannot just continue to supply gas indefinitely,’’ Abaribe said.
READ ALSO:
- 13 killed in Somalia’s latest suicide bomb blast
- I’m head of Nigerian delegation, Tinubu tells Obi in Rome
- Awoniyi thanks family, Nottingham, Nigerians after ordeal
He called for urgent action from both federal and state governments to address the crisis, stressing the need for a coordinated approach to tackle the sector’s funding issues.
“The hope is this: a decision must be taken by the Federal Government and the state governments because right now, we have two tiers of electricity markets. The state can do it, the Federal Government can do it, so they must all come together and make that decision.
“How do we get out of this? How do we pay for it? Who pays? And so forth, everywhere else in the world, that decision is always taken. Do we decide to subsidise fuel that we all use to run around, or do we see the decision to subsidise electricity that goes to everyone of us in terms of production. So that’s our choice to make,” he stated.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, while delivering an overview of the power sector reforms, noted some achievements under the Tinubu-led administration, especially in boosting power generation. However, he highlighted persistent challenges such as inadequate funding and the rampant vandalism of energy infrastructure.
“Only in this country are energy equipment being vandalised in such magnitude,” he lamented.
Also speaking at the retreat, Akwa Ibom State Governor Umo Eno—represented by his Deputy, Senator Akon Eyakenyi—emphasised the importance of stable electricity for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), which he described as the engine of economic growth.
He expressed optimism that the gathering of experts at the retreat would help chart a new course for resolving the power sector’s deep-rooted issues.
Senate worries as FG’s electricity debt hits N800bn
metro
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.
The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.
According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.
READ ALSO:
- Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.
Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.
The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.
Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
metro
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.
Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.
Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.
READ ALSO:
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.
The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.
In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.
Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.
Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
metro
Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.
The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.
In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.
“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.
Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.
The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.
Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.
During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.
According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.
Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.
She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.
As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
International18 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


