Terrorists have regrouped in Lake Chad axis ― Senator Ndume – Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Terrorists have regrouped in Lake Chad axis ― Senator Ndume

Published

on

Chairman Senate Committee on Army, Ali Ndume

Senator representing Borno South and Chairman Senate Committee on Army, Ali Ndume has said the fatal weekend attack on Nigerian soldiers was indicative of the fact that the terrorists have since regrouped in the Lake Chad axis of Borno North.

The commander of a Nigerian Army Special Forces team, Brigadier-General Dzarma Zirkusu, was reportedly shot dead in an ambush by terrorists of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) in Borno State.

Four other soldiers were killed in the incident which occurred at Bulguma, a few kilometres from Askira town in Askira Uba Local Government Area.

Speaking with newsmen in Abuja on Sunday the chairman Senate Committee on Army expressed concern over the development just as he declared that he was convinced that the Nigerian military has what it takes to defeat the terrorist group.

READ ALSO:

He said: “I want to express my condolences to the Nigerian Army over the death of the general who died along Chibok Road. ISWAP terrorists attacked a town there. They know that the general was the major obstacle to their operation. They laid an ambush and rammed a bomb-laden car into his vehicle. He was a gallant soldier. He took the fight to the terrorists. His death has sent panic to people in that area.

“I am aware that some people around that Chibok area have started thinking of relocating. Some want to go to Mubi and other places. We are trying to urge them to remain there. The insurgency is coming to an end.

“This is not the end, but the beginning of the end of terrorists. I know that the army has what it takes to take the fight to them. There is a need to urge other security agencies to give the army the needed support. We also need to urge vigilante groups to assist them.

READ ALSO:

“For now, we will assume that it was an isolated case. But the intensity with which they came is worrisome. They came with more than 10 gun trucks. They are also regrouping around Borno North. That’s Lake Chad axis.

“The military is aware and the Air Force is providing surveillance in the area. It was a revenge mission. The army has been taking out key ISWAP commanders and they had their revenge.

“Last week, for instance, they abducted relatives of the Emir of Askira. They also abducted some passengers along that road. If the Army sustains the temple, we will win this insurgency. “
Tribune

metro

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge

Published

on

Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge 

By Dada Jackson

Many motorists, workers, traders, children and other people were trapped in a gridlock on roads around the Independence Bridge in Lagos for about seven hours due to repair work going on the closed bridge.

A lot of appointments were cancelled, flight missed, productivity at work low due to lateness and sales dwindled as the traffic dragged to the early hours of this morning.

Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular traffic.

The minister issued the directive on Wednesday following the massive traffic gridlock that stretched from Lekki through Victoria Island to Falomo Bridge and beyond.

The directive followed the earlier closure of the bridge by the Federal Government for planned maintenance and rehabilitation works.

READ ALSO:

However, the commencement of repairs yesterday caused major traffic with Lagos residents spending hours on the road.

The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, confirmed the latest development on Wednesday night.

She expressed the Ministry of Works’ regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation

According to her, efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable.

After 7-hour gridlock, FG orders immediate reopening of Lagos Independence Bridge

Continue Reading

metro

Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has urged the federal government to conduct its economic stabilisation policies with policies that would protect the welfare of most vulnerable Nigerians.

IMF’s Director of Communications, Julie Kozack, made this known during a routine press conference at the IMF headquarters in Washington, adding that it is important that the government engages in financial transfers that would enable vulnerable citizens to support themselves in the current economic reforms.

Newstrends reports that the removal of subsidy from premium motor spirit (PMS) which is one of the recommendations of the IMF has brought untold hardship to Nigerians with inflationary pressures never experienced in the recent past.

Following the removal of subsidy from PMS, the product rose from about N200 per litre to about N1000.

READ ALSO:

With a fully deregulated market, fuel prices would now be determined by market forces.

Kozack however acknowledged the challenges many Nigerians faced and stressed the importance of prioritising support for vulnerable households.

“The authorities’ policies to stabilise the economy and promote growth are welcomed.

“However, they must be accompanied by targeted social transfers to support the most vulnerable populations. We recognise the extremely difficult situation that many Nigerians face,” she said.

She said completing the rollout of cash transfers to vulnerable households and improving domestic revenue mobilisation should be key priorities for Nigeria.

Kozack also announced that IMF staff would soon visit Nigeria to prepare for the 2025 Article IV Consultation.

Under Article IV of the IMF’s Articles of Agreement, the IMF conducts annual bilateral discussions with member countries.

As part of this process, a staff team visits the country, gathers economic and financial data, and engages with officials on economic policies and developments.

 

Protect vulnerable Nigerians, IMF tells Tinubu

Continue Reading

metro

Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity

Published

on

Former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier General Maharazu Tsiga (retd.)

Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity

Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (rtd) has regained his freedom after spending 56 days in captivity.

Daily Trust had reported how the former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) was abducted from his hometown in Bakori local government area (LGA) of Katsina state, on February 5, 2025.

He was kidnapped alongside nine other residents.

However, after payment of ransom by his family, his abductors still held him captive for weeks.

There were conflicting figures regarding the ransom paid earlier.

While some claimed the sum of N60m was paid, Daily Trust reliably learnt that the actual money paid for his release is thrice higher than that.

READ ALSO:

A close family member told our correspondent that after receiving the money, the kidnappers kept mum for one week before contacting the family, where they put the general on phone to speak with them.

“The money was taken to them and it was only after one week, that was on Tuesday March 11, that they called and we heard his voice,” the source revealed.

He added that the kidnappers had called though to demand for more money, which he said was not given to them.

“Nothing was actually added and as we speak they are in Zamfara state from where they will take the general to Abuja,” the source said.

A top military source also confirmed Tsiga’s release to Daily Trust. Sources close to the family said he is in good condition.

 

Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga regains freedom after 56 days in captivity

Continue Reading

Trending