News
Tinubu paying the price of Buhari, Jonathan’s bad leadership – Bolaji Akinyemi
Tinubu paying the price of Buhari, Jonathan’s bad leadership – Bolaji Akinyemi
Professor Bolaji Akinyemi, a former Minister of External Affairs, says President Bola Ahmed Tinubu inherited a lot of problems from previous governments’ bad leadership.
This was stated by Akinyemi during an interview with Arise TV about the president’s recent trip to New Delhi, India, for the G20 summit.
The president attended the two-day summit at the request of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
On the sidelines of the summit, Tinubu met with leaders from the United States, Germany, and South Korea, and he also witnessed the African Union’s designation as a permanent member.
In response, the former minister stated that if Nigeria is to become a permanent member of the prestigious G20, it must work hard to improve its image in the international community.
We must stop de-marketing Nigeria, irrespective of what the government does. If we as people have no faith in our own country, in our own government, it will backfire. Let me, however, deal now with what I would call the international aspect of that summit, and the implications for Nigeria. We are not members of the G20. Why?
The reasons are many. One is: the bad leadership that has driven our economy to the ground. Now that we know the cost of bad leadership, I hope we will give to our country a decent leadership that can promote Nigeria. We must stop Boko Haram and all the things that destabilize and give Nigeria a bad image, he said.
READ ALSO:
-
Passports: NIS clears 60,000 backlog in 4 days – Minister
-
Revealed: How singer Mohbad died
-
Kogi 2023: Former PDP Deputy Governor officially joins APC ahead of poll
Akinyemi also said that Tinubu is paying the price of the bad leadership that characterized Nigeria’s past governments and should work hard towards getting the country permanent membership of the G20 before the next summit.
He said;
Tinubu and Nigeria are paying the price for the bad leadership of the past. We tend to say that it started with Jonathan and Buhari. But forgive me, it started before that. I won’t however, go into that now.
But the good news is that President Tinubu is starting at a time when he can maximize the goodwill of the international communities.
Number one: the new President of G20 is from Brazil. And Brazil is a friend of Nigeria. We have very good relationship with Brazil. That good relationship should be cultivated because the president of the G20 actually has a lot of influence on his fellow members in terms of what he would like to do or not to.
Therefore, President Tinubu should set up a taskforce whose objective should be that by the next summit, Nigeria should actually be sponsored for permanent membership of the G20.
Tinubu paying the price of Buhari, Jonathan’s bad leadership – Bolaji Akinyemi
News
Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
A former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini, has raised concerns that Nigeria’s ongoing debate over electronic transmission of election results exposes unresolved legal, institutional, and technological challenges, despite years of electoral reforms. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Monday, Igini warned that recent Senate amendments to the Electoral Act could create confusion and vulnerabilities in future elections, particularly the 2027 general polls. He stressed that failing to clarify rules on electronic results transmission risks undermining democracy, transparency, and public confidence.
The controversy stems from the Senate’s recent amendment to the Electoral Act, which now allows electronic transmission of results but removed the “real-time” requirement that had previously been proposed to enable direct uploading from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IREV). Under the amendment, Form EC8A, the physical result sheet, remains the primary document in cases of internet outages or connectivity failure. Igini cautioned that this creates a grey area that could trigger disputes in 2027 if presiding officers are allowed discretion over network availability, highlighting that legal and technological clarity is essential to avoid chaos.
READ ALSO:
- DHQ Confirms 100 US Military Personnel Arrive in Bauchi for Counter-Terrorism Training
- Dokpesi Jr, Ex-GMD Akiotu Clash Over DAAR Communications Mgt Restructuring
- EFCC Holds El-Rufai Overnight Over ₦423bn Kaduna Corruption Allegations
Referencing a 2021 technical report by INEC and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Igini said Nigeria possesses adequate telecommunications coverage, with 2G and 3G networks covering about 93% of the country, making electronic transmission feasible nationwide. INEC had also mapped polling units to mobile network operators and prepared SIM cards and data arrangements to ensure smooth uploads to IREV. He explained that Nigeria had previously relied on interim innovations, including biometric voter registers, card readers, and digital result-viewing platforms, to enhance transparency where legal provisions prohibited full electronic transmission.
Igini further warned that introducing discretionary fallbacks for “network issues” could reintroduce vulnerabilities, as presiding officers might abuse their authority to manipulate results. He emphasised that modern election devices, such as BIVAS machines, can operate both online and offline, uploading results at the nearest connectivity point to ensure integrity in IREV. “The whole purpose of IREV is to make results verifiable and immutable once entered. Allowing manual override defeats the reforms we have painstakingly implemented over the years,” he said.
He also noted that judicial interpretations and evolving legislative amendments have contributed to uncertainty over the legality of technological innovations in elections. Igini urged lawmakers to consider the long-term implications of changes to the Electoral Act, stressing that Nigeria’s democratic stability relies on cooperation between INEC, the judiciary, and key stakeholders. “Our democracy’s future depends on the rule of law. Without it, society risks being dominated by those who act for personal interest rather than public good,” he added.
With the 2027 elections approaching, Igini’s warnings underscore the need for clear legal frameworks, technological preparedness, and robust institutional coordination. He urged all stakeholders to work collaboratively to ensure that electronic transmission of results enhances transparency, accountability, and credibility in Nigeria’s electoral process.
Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results
News
Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives
Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives
Tension gripped Abuja on Monday as security operatives fired teargas to disperse protesters and supporters of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, during a confrontation at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The standoff reportedly occurred when hundreds of El-Rufai’s supporters accompanied him to the anti-graft agency’s headquarters, escalating an already charged political atmosphere in the Federal Capital Territory.
Eyewitness accounts and video footage circulating online showed security personnel deploying teargas canisters as crowds surged toward the EFCC complex.
In one of the videos, agitated voices were heard declaring, “We will come back; when it clears, we will come back,” suggesting the group’s resolve to sustain their protest despite the crackdown.
READ ALSO:
- NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
- Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening
- Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
The development follows reports last Thursday that El-Rufai was allegedly stopped by security operatives at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, in what his supporters described as an attempted arrest.
While official details surrounding the airport incident remain unclear, the situation appeared to have heightened tensions among his loyalists.
El-Rufai, who served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, remains a prominent political figure and a key voice within Nigeria’s political landscape.
His tenure was marked by sweeping reforms as well as controversy over security challenges and policy decisions in the state.
As of press time, the EFCC had yet to issue an official statement clarifying the circumstances surrounding Monday’s confrontation or addressing reports of any investigation involving the former governor.
Security presence around the commission’s headquarters was significantly reinforced following the clash, with access to parts of the area temporarily restricted.
The incident adds to growing political tensions in the country, particularly as anti-corruption investigations continue to intersect with high-profile political actors.
Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives
News
NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, has clarified that the council has never received financial support from any government, either within or outside Nigeria. Speaking in Lagos at the 31st Annual Pre-Ramadan Lecture of the University of Lagos Muslim Alumni (UMA), Oloyede stressed that the NSCIA operates independently and relies largely on modest private donations to sustain its activities.
Oloyede, who also serves as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), explained that in his 15-year tenure as NSCIA Secretary-General, the council had not received “a kobo” from any government. He added that fewer than 20 individuals have donated amounts up to ₦500,000 since 2013, highlighting that the council functions without significant external funding. He decried misinformation and divisive narratives suggesting government involvement under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Saad Abubakar, noting that such speculation undermines unity within Nigeria’s Muslim community.
READ ALSO:
- Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening
- Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
- Israeli Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza as Violence Persists Despite Ceasefire
Speaking on the theme “Muslims: The Challenge of National Security,” Oloyede warned against viewing insecurity, terrorism, and banditry through a religious lens. He said extremists often cloak their violent acts in religious language, but such actions do not reflect Islam. “Islam cannot be determined by what extremists say or do. We have a duty to correct that narrative,” he said, urging Muslims to reject all forms of extremism while understanding that insurgency thrives on enabling political, social, and economic conditions.
Oloyede stressed that security is central to Sharia, emphasizing that a true Muslim is someone “from whose actions neighbours — regardless of their faith — are safe and secure.” He cautioned against reducing insecurity to regional or religious differences, noting that all parts of Nigeria face security challenges. He called on Muslims to embrace moral responsibility, civic accountability, and practical partnerships to improve national security.
Other speakers at the lecture also highlighted the societal dimensions of insecurity. Dr. Ridwan Jamiu, Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, described insurgents as agents of evil and stressed the need for religious leaders to promote peace and guide followers toward positive community engagement. Lagos State Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa identified poverty and economic inequality as key drivers of insecurity and urged the government and policymakers to focus on job creation, education, and inclusive development as long-term solutions.
The lecture, part of the annual pre-Ramadan engagements, comes at a time when Nigeria continues to grapple with complex security challenges, including insurgency in the Northeast, banditry in the Northwest and North-Central, and rising violent crime in the South. Experts emphasize that national cohesion, interfaith cooperation, and community-led security initiatives are vital to tackling these threats effectively.
NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
-
Education2 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News2 days agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro3 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro1 day agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
News2 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
metro1 day agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
metro2 days agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop


