We’re helpless, abducted train passengers’ families lament - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

We’re helpless, abducted train passengers’ families lament

Published

on

Families of the abducted Abuja-Kaduna train passengers on Tuesday lamented that they are helpless since they are not in a position to meet the demands of the bandits who have kept their loved ones in captivity since March 28.

They have therefore called on the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to personally wade into the matter to ensure the safe return of the abducted passengers.

Leader of the families, under the umbrella of the Relatives of the AK-9 Abuja-Kaduna Train Kidnapped Passengers, Baaba Mohammed, disclosed this in an interview with our correspondent.

The Kaduna-Abuja train was attacked on March 28, leading to the death of no fewer than eight persons while several others were kidnapped.

Their abductors, who asked the Federal Government to release some of their children in custody, as well as some of their commanders in exchange for the victims, had released videos of the victims to press home their demands.

In a latest video released by the terrorists, eight of the abducted passengers were sighted.

READ ALSO:

Three of the victims who spoke on behalf of others appealed to the Federal Government and other well-meaning Nigerians to ensure they are safely reunited with their families.

Mohammed said the latest video showed that further delay in rescuing the victims could portend danger to the captives.

He said, “We are pleading with the government that time is of essence, we are urging the government to take note of all those things. If you look at the body language of those in the video you saw yesterday (Monday), you will see the need for urgency and I don’t think we have the luxury of time to foot drag.

“The President should directly intervene. He needs to talk to the security operatives to understand that every minute that passes without necessarily taking action is detrimental to the health of these people.

“We are tired and very exhausted too because there is nothing that needs to be done that we have not done. We have met with the CDS, among others. It looks like we have exhausted all the options available to us, the only thing we are left with is to keep calling on God.”

Mohammed stated that the terrorists’ demand had put the families in tight conditions, adding that  if they had the means, they would have long met them.

He added, “The negotiation is not what we the family members can deliver. If you look at their demands, the family members can’t go and be looking for their children even if we are able to trace and find them and the terrorists confirm they are the ones, we can’t take them to the terrorists.”

“Otherwise, we would not have reached the position we are. We are yet to reach out to Gunmi. The government has told us that they are in touch with them and they know the process and our main concern is to have our family members back.”

“The issue is if we can help in any way to facilitate this and the government is ready to put us in between to do that, why not? But if you look at it, it is beyond us.”

metro

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

Published

on

Dibu Ojerinde, former Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB)

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday adjourned the trial of former JAMB Registrar Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, his children, and several corporate entities on charges of official corruption and abuse of office until April 30, 2026.

The matter was before Justice Mohammed Umar, but proceedings could not take place due to the judge’s absence on another official assignment. Consequently, the case was rescheduled for later in April.

Prof. Ojerinde, who previously served as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), is being prosecuted alongside four of his children — Mary Ojerinde, Olumide Ojerinde, Adebayo Ojerinde, and Oluwaseun Ojerinde — as well as six companies linked to him.

READ ALSO:

The companies named as co‑defendants in the case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/119/2023, are: Doyin Ogbohi Petroleum Limited, Cheng Marbles Limited, Sapati International Schools Limited, Trillium Learning Centre Limited, Standout Institutes Limited, and Esli Perfect Security Printers Limited.

The charges were filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and relate to alleged corruption and abuse of office during Prof. Ojerinde’s tenure as JAMB Registrar.

In addition to the current corruption trial, Ojerinde is facing a separate 18‑count charge alleging the diversion of funds during his time as Registrar of the National Examinations Council (NECO) and later at JAMB. That matter is before a sister Federal High Court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu, and is scheduled to resume on March 25, 2026.

Legal experts say the multiplicity of charges reflects increased enforcement efforts by anti‑corruption agencies against high‑profile public officials accused of financial misconduct. Ojerinde’s legal team had sought additional time to prepare their defence, a request accommodated by the court’s adjournment.

The adjournment comes amid heightened public interest in accountability within Nigeria’s public institutions, particularly concerning the management of examination bodies and the oversight of funds in federally funded agencies.

Observers note that the outcome of the Ojerinde trials could set an important precedent for prosecuting alleged financial crimes by senior public servants, especially where family members and associated businesses are implicated.

Court Adjourns Trial of Ex‑JAMB Registrar Ojerinde, Others

Continue Reading

metro

Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau

Published

on

Nigerian military troops
Nigerian military troops

Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman

Troops of Operation Enduring Peace (OPEP) have successfully neutralised five suspected kidnappers and rescued a woman who had been abducted in Plateau State, security officials confirmed on Wednesday. The operation, described as intelligence‑driven, took place at a criminal hideout in Angwan Boka, Sopp District, within the Riyom Local Government Area.

According to Captain Chinonso Polycarp Oteh, spokesman for the Joint Military Task Force, the raid was prompted by actionable intelligence provided by two individuals apprehended on February 16, who were later identified as members of a local kidnapping syndicate. Troops swiftly mobilised to the hideout, where they engaged the kidnappers in a firefight, resulting in the death of five suspects and the safe rescue of the victim, identified as Hauwa Suleiman. She was found unharmed and has since been reunited with her family.

READ ALSO:

During the operation, security forces also recovered evidence linking the suspects to criminal activities, including three mobile phones, ₦17,600 in cash, and substances suspected to be illegal drugs. Captain Oteh emphasised the importance of community cooperation in fighting crime, urging residents to provide credible information that would help security agencies locate and dismantle criminal networks. “Even though we will do our best, with credible and actionable information, we can know where criminal elements are and deal with them so that there will be peace,” he said.

Community members, including John Mairiga of Riyom, attested to the success of the raid and praised the troops for their swift intervention. Authorities described the operation as part of ongoing efforts to combat kidnapping, banditry, and violent crime across Plateau State and the broader Middle Belt region. The Nigerian Army reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that citizens can return to their farms and businesses without fear of attacks.

The operation underscores the growing effectiveness of intelligence‑led military operations in tackling organised crime in Nigeria and highlights the critical role of community engagement in supporting security agencies. Residents are encouraged to continue providing information to security operatives to sustain the momentum of peace and stability across affected areas.

Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman

Continue Reading

metro

Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy

Published

on

Former Presidential Candidate of the African Action Congress, AAC, Omoyele Sowore
Former presidential candidate and activist Omoyele Sowore

Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy

Former presidential candidate and activist Omoyele Sowore has condemned President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for signing the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) into law, describing the legislation as a direct threat to Nigeria’s democratic integrity and the credibility of upcoming elections.

Reacting shortly after the signing ceremony at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Wednesday, Sowore said the law was “designed to undermine and ultimately forbid free, fair, and credible elections in Nigeria.” He urged citizens and civil society groups to actively oppose its provisions, warning that the legislation could erode hard-won democratic norms. “We must resist this assault on democracy,” he said. “They have dared the people. Now we must confront them, we must damn their impunity.”

President Tinubu signed the Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) around 5:00 p.m., in a ceremony attended by principal officers of the National Assembly. The law is intended to govern the conduct of elections ahead of the 2027 general elections, with presidential and National Assembly polls scheduled for February 20, and governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections set for March 6.

READ ALSO:

Sowore’s criticism reflects concerns from opposition politicians, civil society organisations, and legal analysts, who argue that some provisions of the amended law could weaken transparency and fairness in Nigeria’s elections. He pointed to clauses that may restrict political participation for smaller parties and independent candidates, limit judicial oversight in election disputes, and expand discretionary powers for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in ways that could centralise control and reduce accountability.

The activist’s remarks have reignited public debate, with supporters of the law arguing that the amendments are intended to streamline electoral processes, reduce frivolous litigation, and improve efficiency in Nigeria’s often protracted election system. Critics, however, warn that the law could be exploited to favour incumbents and entrenched political interests, potentially undermining the competitiveness of the 2027 elections. Civil society organisations have called for robust public education and, where necessary, judicial review to safeguard constitutional principles.

The Electoral Act 2026 (Amendment) arrives at a critical juncture for Nigeria’s democracy. With general elections just months away, political tensions, party realignments, and security concerns are intensifying nationwide. Observers note that the legal framework governing elections will play a pivotal role in shaping public confidence in the process. Sowore’s call for resistance adds to growing voices urging Nigerians to remain vigilant and assertive in defending transparency and accountability in governance.

Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending