metro
Witness narrates how ex-Kwara gov mismanaged N5bn meant for teachers salaries
Witness narrates how ex-Kwara gov mismanaged N5bn meant for teachers salaries
The trial of former Kwara State Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed and his Finance Commissioner, Ademola Banu, continued on Wednesday before Justice Mahmud Abdulgafar of the Kwara State High Court in Ilorin.
The duo faces charges of alleged misappropriation and theft of public funds amounting to ₦5.78 billion.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) alleges that the funds, intended for teacher salaries under the Kwara State Universal Basic Education Board (UBEC) and other public welfare projects, were misappropriated during Ahmed’s tenure as governor.
At the hearing, the EFCC called its first witness, Abubakar Hassan, an assistant director of finance at UBEC. Led by EFCC counsel Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), Hassan testified that approximately ₦5 billion meant for primary and junior secondary school projects was diverted between 2013 and 2015.
The defendants, who pleaded not guilty during their initial arraignment on October 21, 2024, had been granted bail as the case was adjourned for trial.
According to him, “The matching grant funds from the Universal Basic Education Commission is meant to provide certain infrastructural facilities for both students of primary and junior secondary schools. Such facilities include the construction of primary schools, provision of laboratories for students, construction of toilets, provision of water and sanitation and cultural education.”
READ ALSO:
- Wike tells FCT principals to stop welcoming him with students
- Netflix stops support for Nollywood, exits Nigeria
- EFCC arraigns Lagos man over $3,500 online fraud
Hassan stated that the Kwara State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) prepared and submitted an action plan for 2013 which was defended and received approval to execute certain contracts in compliance with the action plan.
“The Commission made lodgment for 2013, 2014 and 2015. Kwara State got matching grant of about N2billion for 2013, N876million was released for 2014 while they got N982million in 2015, totalling about N5billion,” the witness said.
He revealed that “Implementation of 2013 Action Plan had already commenced, contractors were already being mobilised to work at the site but surprisingly, during our project monitoring exercise, we discovered that the monies meant for the project (2013) had been diverted by the Kwara SUBEB. We discovered that about N2 billion was diverted.”
Following this discovery, the witness said that the report of the project monitoring committee was sent to the Kwara SUBEB, asking them to comply with the recommendations of the committee, but there was no response. Hence, the Commission wrote to the banks to return the 2014 and 2015 funds paid to the state.
He said there were no activities for 2016, 2017, and 2018 due to the failure of the state to comply with UBEC’s earlier recommendations about the diverted funds.
Hassan further stated that the responsibility of spending UBEC grants rested solely on SUBEB while the State Governor or anyone outside SUBEB has no dealing, directly or indirectly, in spending the fund.
Justice Abdulgafar adjourned further hearing in the case till February 17, 2025.
Witness narrates how ex-Kwara gov mismanaged N5bn meant for teachers salaries
metro
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.
The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.
According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.
READ ALSO:
- Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.
Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.
The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.
Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.
Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
metro
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.
Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.
Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.
READ ALSO:
- AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC
- Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
- Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.
The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.
In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.
Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.
Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.
Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
metro
Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity
The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.
The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.
In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.
“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.
Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.
The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.
Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.
During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.
According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.
Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.
She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.
As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.
-
News2 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro2 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro2 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News1 day agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health1 day agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting
-
metro2 days agoTroops Intercept ₦37m Terror Funds, Phones, ISWAP Logistics in Borno Operations


