metro
Yahoo boys now venturing into banditry, kidnapping – EFCC boss
Yahoo boys now venturing into banditry, kidnapping – EFCC boss
The Executive Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede said Nigeria is in a “crisis situation” with the menace of internet fraud, popularly known as Yahoo Yahoo, in the country.
Olukoyede stated this in a video interview shared on the commission’s Facebook page on Monday.
He further disclosed that evidence at the commission’s disposal showed that many of the so-called Yahoo boys have ventured into banditry and kidnapping.
The EFCC boss said, “I want to use this opportunity to address the issue of Yahoo Yahoo boys that has become a major issue in Nigeria and people often accuse EFCC saying, ‘People are stealing mega money (and) you are not seeing them. The only people you can run after are Yahoo Yahoo.
“I want Nigerians to know that we’re having a crisis on our hands. It is actually a crisis situation.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu goes to Benue, reschedules Kaduna visit
- Appeal court overturns forfeiture of Emefiele’s properties
- US warship heading towards Mideast as Iran, Israel fight
“If you travel abroad with your green passport and you’re on a queue among so many people, you’ll discover that by the time you present your green passport, the people will look at you with some reservations. That is if they don’t carry you aside for special scrutiny.
“That is a national shame that some young Nigerians have caused for us.”
Olukoyede said he often encountered so many indefensible things perpetrated by Nigerians whenever he interacted with foreign counterparts and government agencies in the course of tracing illicit funds and asset recovery efforts.
The EFCC chairman lamented that many Nigerian youths no longer believe in hard work.
“Just a few days ago, we arrested 120 Nigerians – young men.
“These young men don’t believe in hard work anymore,” he said.
Olukoyede explained that the menace has crept into secondary schools, adding that students now play truant, preferring to frequent hotels to defraud people rather than face their studies.
“You see secondary school students driving vehicles. Are those the people we want to hand over Nigeria to?
“Is that the nation we want to build?” Olukoyede asked.
He added, “Now to the most dangerous aspect of it. It is not just about Yahoo Yahoo and Nigerians should know this.
“Some of them are into banditry and kidnapping. We have evidence. We have proof.
“This is because when they know they don’t see people to scam on time, they go to kidnap.
“It is there. It’s in the news. People know.”
He further disclosed that some internet fraudsters launder money for politically exposed persons.
Olukoyede said the EFCC would continue to intensify efforts
Yahoo boys now venturing into banditry, kidnapping – EFCC boss
![]()
metro
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.
The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.
The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.
The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
READ ALSO:
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
- Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
- N3.14 Trillion Spent on Electricity Subsidy in 31 Months – FG
The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.
The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.
Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.
The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.
The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.
The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.
After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.
With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.
However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.
The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.
For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.
For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
![]()
metro
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
![]()
metro
Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro1 day agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
