110 associations seek registration as political parties - INEC - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

110 associations seek registration as political parties – INEC

Published

on

INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu

110 associations seek registration as political parties – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says 110 associations have applied to the commission seeking registration as political parties, ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said this on Wednesday in Abuja at the second regular consultative meeting with media executives.
According to him the 110 were the ones that had submitted letters of intent as at Monday 23 June.
He also warned that INEC would not accord preferential treatment to applicants irrespective of the status of their promoters, either ordinary or prominent citizens.
Yakubu said that the meeting was held in the middle of two electoral activities, being the conduct of primaries for the Area Council election in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) which, by INEC Timetable and Schedule of Activities, ends on Monday 30th June 2025.
He said that the election will be held in 68 constituencies made up of chairmen and their deputies for the six Area Councils – Abaji, the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Bwari, Gwagwalada, Kuje and Kwali – as well as 62 Wards drawn on the basis of 10 Wards for each Area Council, except AMAC which has 12 Wards on account of its population.
Yakubu said that the second electoral activity is the forthcoming Anambra State Governorship election.
READ ALSO:
“Clearly, one of the topical issues on election administration in our country today is the status of the letters of intent we received from associations seeking registration as political parties amidst partisan insinuations in some quarters that the commission is equivocating on the matter in a manner that compromises our independence.
“Nothing can be further from the truth. Nigerians may recall that the same unfounded accusation was made under similar circumstances in 2013 that the commission was not keen on the proposed merger of political parties because INEC had “merged with the ruling party” at the time.
“For the record, the present commission registered the largest number of political parties in Nigeria strictly following the provision of the electoral legal framework.
“For the 2019 General Election, there were 91 political parties and 73 presidential candidates. The commission was criticised in some quarters for registering too many political parties.
“After the election, the commission also deregistered over 70 political parties as provided by law. We wish to reassure Nigerians that under the current situation, we will continue to be guided by law and act with fairness to all associations seeking registration as political parties.
“We will treat all requests fairly irrespective of the status of their promoters, be they ordinary or prominent citizens. Nigerians will be fully briefed of the actions taken by the commission every step of the way.
“As at Monday, 23rd June 2025, the commission has received letters of intent from 110 associations that wish to register as political parties,” Yakubu said.
READ ALSO:
He said that the commission is diligently processing the requests in line with the procedure outlined in the law as well as its Regulations and Guidelines.
He also said that the commission has acknowledged all requests received so far except six of them received recently which will be done before the end of the week.
He said, “For emphasis, I wish to inform Nigerians, particularly those interested in registering new political parties, that the handbook containing the Regulations and
Guidelines for Political Parties 2022is already available on the Commission’s website.”
The INEC boss said that for transparency and public information, the list of the 110nassociations would be uploaded to INEC website and social media platforms shortly.
Sspeaking on the conduct of outstanding bye-elections and the resumption of the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR), Prof. Yakubu said that the elections would happened in 16 different constituencies.
He said that the commission is now in a position to conduct the bye-elections and to also resume the nationwide CVR.
READ ALSO:
Prof. Yakubu said that the commission has concluded major internal processes and will, within the next 24 hours, release full details of the scheduled bye-elections and the resumption plan for CVR nationwide.
This development comes amid increased calls for the commission to fill existing legislative vacancies across several constituencies and to allow new eligible voters including first-time voters and those who have changed locations to register ahead of forthcoming off-cycle governorship elections and the 2027 general elections.
…NUJ assures of support
Also speaking the President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Comrade Alhassan Yahaya, commended INEC for its proactive engagement with media professionals and reiterated the media’s role in promoting electoral integrity and democracy.
“Our function goes beyond just reporting events. The media shapes public discourse, fosters transparency, and strengthens democratic participation,” Yahaya said. He also lauded INEC’s commitment to the safety of journalists and urged continued collaboration ahead of elections in Anambra and other states,” Yahaya said.
…El-Rufai, Atiku group on number 109
Our correspondent reports that the All Democratic Alliance (ADA) being championed by former Kaduna State Governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar among others, as the coalition platform, to challenge President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the All Progressives Congress (APC) was number 109 of the 110 association that submitted letter of intent.
Coincidentally, another association with same acronym ‘ADA’ (Advanced Democratic Alliance) was the last association at number 110.
It was also observed that some of the applicants submitted the names of their protem chairmen, without protem secretary; and some others provided names of their protem secretaries and omitted the names of their protem chairmen in their submission.

110 associations seek registration as political parties – INEC

News

Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results

Published

on

Former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini
Former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini

Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results

A former Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mike Igini, has raised concerns that Nigeria’s ongoing debate over electronic transmission of election results exposes unresolved legal, institutional, and technological challenges, despite years of electoral reforms. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Monday, Igini warned that recent Senate amendments to the Electoral Act could create confusion and vulnerabilities in future elections, particularly the 2027 general polls. He stressed that failing to clarify rules on electronic results transmission risks undermining democracy, transparency, and public confidence.

The controversy stems from the Senate’s recent amendment to the Electoral Act, which now allows electronic transmission of results but removed the “real-time” requirement that had previously been proposed to enable direct uploading from polling units to the INEC Result Viewing Portal (IREV). Under the amendment, Form EC8A, the physical result sheet, remains the primary document in cases of internet outages or connectivity failure. Igini cautioned that this creates a grey area that could trigger disputes in 2027 if presiding officers are allowed discretion over network availability, highlighting that legal and technological clarity is essential to avoid chaos.

READ ALSO:

Referencing a 2021 technical report by INEC and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Igini said Nigeria possesses adequate telecommunications coverage, with 2G and 3G networks covering about 93% of the country, making electronic transmission feasible nationwide. INEC had also mapped polling units to mobile network operators and prepared SIM cards and data arrangements to ensure smooth uploads to IREV. He explained that Nigeria had previously relied on interim innovations, including biometric voter registers, card readers, and digital result-viewing platforms, to enhance transparency where legal provisions prohibited full electronic transmission.

Igini further warned that introducing discretionary fallbacks for “network issues” could reintroduce vulnerabilities, as presiding officers might abuse their authority to manipulate results. He emphasised that modern election devices, such as BIVAS machines, can operate both online and offline, uploading results at the nearest connectivity point to ensure integrity in IREV. “The whole purpose of IREV is to make results verifiable and immutable once entered. Allowing manual override defeats the reforms we have painstakingly implemented over the years,” he said.

He also noted that judicial interpretations and evolving legislative amendments have contributed to uncertainty over the legality of technological innovations in elections. Igini urged lawmakers to consider the long-term implications of changes to the Electoral Act, stressing that Nigeria’s democratic stability relies on cooperation between INEC, the judiciary, and key stakeholders. “Our democracy’s future depends on the rule of law. Without it, society risks being dominated by those who act for personal interest rather than public good,” he added.

With the 2027 elections approaching, Igini’s warnings underscore the need for clear legal frameworks, technological preparedness, and robust institutional coordination. He urged all stakeholders to work collaboratively to ensure that electronic transmission of results enhances transparency, accountability, and credibility in Nigeria’s electoral process.

Former INEC REC Warns of “Chaos” in 2027 Over E-Transmission of Election Results

Continue Reading

News

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Published

on

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Tension gripped Abuja on Monday as security operatives fired teargas to disperse protesters and supporters of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, during a confrontation at the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The standoff reportedly occurred when hundreds of El-Rufai’s supporters accompanied him to the anti-graft agency’s headquarters, escalating an already charged political atmosphere in the Federal Capital Territory.

Eyewitness accounts and video footage circulating online showed security personnel deploying teargas canisters as crowds surged toward the EFCC complex.

In one of the videos, agitated voices were heard declaring, “We will come back; when it clears, we will come back,” suggesting the group’s resolve to sustain their protest despite the crackdown.

READ ALSO:

The development follows reports last Thursday that El-Rufai was allegedly stopped by security operatives at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, in what his supporters described as an attempted arrest.

While official details surrounding the airport incident remain unclear, the situation appeared to have heightened tensions among his loyalists.

El-Rufai, who served as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023, remains a prominent political figure and a key voice within Nigeria’s political landscape.

His tenure was marked by sweeping reforms as well as controversy over security challenges and policy decisions in the state.

As of press time, the EFCC had yet to issue an official statement clarifying the circumstances surrounding Monday’s confrontation or addressing reports of any investigation involving the former governor.

Security presence around the commission’s headquarters was significantly reinforced following the clash, with access to parts of the area temporarily restricted.

The incident adds to growing political tensions in the country, particularly as anti-corruption investigations continue to intersect with high-profile political actors.

 

Teargas, Chaos at EFCC as El-Rufai’s Supporters Clash with Security Operatives

Continue Reading

News

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Published

on

Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede
Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

The Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, has clarified that the council has never received financial support from any government, either within or outside Nigeria. Speaking in Lagos at the 31st Annual Pre-Ramadan Lecture of the University of Lagos Muslim Alumni (UMA), Oloyede stressed that the NSCIA operates independently and relies largely on modest private donations to sustain its activities.

Oloyede, who also serves as Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), explained that in his 15-year tenure as NSCIA Secretary-General, the council had not received “a kobo” from any government. He added that fewer than 20 individuals have donated amounts up to ₦500,000 since 2013, highlighting that the council functions without significant external funding. He decried misinformation and divisive narratives suggesting government involvement under the leadership of the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Saad Abubakar, noting that such speculation undermines unity within Nigeria’s Muslim community.

READ ALSO:

Speaking on the theme “Muslims: The Challenge of National Security,” Oloyede warned against viewing insecurity, terrorism, and banditry through a religious lens. He said extremists often cloak their violent acts in religious language, but such actions do not reflect Islam. “Islam cannot be determined by what extremists say or do. We have a duty to correct that narrative,” he said, urging Muslims to reject all forms of extremism while understanding that insurgency thrives on enabling political, social, and economic conditions.

Oloyede stressed that security is central to Sharia, emphasizing that a true Muslim is someone “from whose actions neighbours — regardless of their faith — are safe and secure.” He cautioned against reducing insecurity to regional or religious differences, noting that all parts of Nigeria face security challenges. He called on Muslims to embrace moral responsibility, civic accountability, and practical partnerships to improve national security.

Other speakers at the lecture also highlighted the societal dimensions of insecurity. Dr. Ridwan Jamiu, Chief Imam of Lekki Central Mosque, described insurgents as agents of evil and stressed the need for religious leaders to promote peace and guide followers toward positive community engagement. Lagos State Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa identified poverty and economic inequality as key drivers of insecurity and urged the government and policymakers to focus on job creation, education, and inclusive development as long-term solutions.

The lecture, part of the annual pre-Ramadan engagements, comes at a time when Nigeria continues to grapple with complex security challenges, including insurgency in the Northeast, banditry in the Northwest and North-Central, and rising violent crime in the South. Experts emphasize that national cohesion, interfaith cooperation, and community-led security initiatives are vital to tackling these threats effectively.

NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending