2023: Jonathan Makes U-Turn, ‘Accepts’ APC Presidential Forms - Newstrends
Connect with us

Politics

2023: Jonathan Makes U-Turn, ‘Accepts’ APC Presidential Forms

Published

on

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

Barely 48 hours after dissociating himself from moves by some groups to draft him into the 2023 presidential race, former President Goodluck Jonathan has finally made up his mind to vie for the top post.

Nigeria is set to go to the polls next year in a crowded contest parading many contestants in both the ruling APC and several opposition parties, including the main opposition PDP.

On May 9, Jonathan had rejected presidential expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him by people, described as nomadic Fulani pastoralists and Almajiri communities.

He was quoted as saying that it was an insult for people to buy the form for him without his consent but the former president has now made U-turn on the issue.

A dependable source in Jonathan’s camp, who pleaded anonymity, said that the former president had indeed, joined the APC formally, having registered at his Otuoke Ward in Bayelsa.

READ ALSO:

The source disclosed that Jonathan was expected to submit his APC expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him earlier in the week, on Thursday.

According to the source, the former president has secured the support of the required number of APC delegates from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Several bigwigs of the party have also been calling Jonathan to pledge their loyalty and support to the former president,’’ the source revealed.

The source told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) political correspondent late on Wednesday that some influential African leaders had called Jonathan earlier on Monday to advise him “to contest the election in the interest of Nigeria.

“At least three top African leaders called the former president on the matter. They all urged him to run. One of them specifically told him that it didn’t make sense travelling all over Africa settling disputes only to shy away from leadership responsibility in his home country.”

“Another reminded him of the implication of failing to put the experiences he garnered as a former Nigerian president and as a continental statesman to good use,” the source added but did not mention the names of the African leaders.

The source cited some of the African leaders as telling Jonathan that Nigeria was passing through challenging times and “needed a unifier like Jonathan at this time’’.

Jonathan, who lost power to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari, was born in 1957 in the Ogbia district in Bayelsa State.

He was previously of the PDP party on whose platform he ruled Nigeria until he lost the presidential election to Buhari in 2015. (NAN)

Politics

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027

Published

on

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027

Supporters of former Peter Obi have unveiled a new grassroots political initiative, the “Village Boys Movement”, in Abuja ahead of the 2027 presidential election. The movement is designed to mobilise rural and local communities and offer a value-driven alternative to President Bola Tinubu’s “City Boys” network, promoted by his son, Seyi Tinubu.

The movement was launched as a platform to engage grassroots supporters, promote ethical leadership, and advocate accountability in Nigerian politics. Its convener, Maazị Tochukwu Ezeoke, introduced himself as the “Village Headmaster” and described the group as a disciplined and principled organisation built on responsibility, honesty, and transparency.

Speaking at the Abuja launch, Ezeoke emphasised that the Village Boys Movement is not designed to target urban populations. Rather, the name is symbolic, reflecting the movement’s focus on values such as ethical leadership, productivity, and community-driven accountability. He said, “The issue is not geography but the source of wealth, the ethics of leadership, and the structure of accountability. We represent a Nigeria that works before it earns and earns before it spends.”

READ ALSO:

Organisers highlighted that the initiative will primarily operate in rural communities, advocating civic engagement, political education, and grassroots mobilisation. The platform aims to strengthen Peter Obi’s outreach beyond urban centres, complementing existing youth networks while encouraging active participation in the democratic process.

Political analysts note that the launch of the Village Boys Movement signals a strategic effort by Obi’s supporters to counter the influence of Tinubu’s City Boys, which has historically rallied urban youth support. The initiative underscores the growing importance of grassroots campaigns in Nigeria’s 2027 elections and reflects an emphasis on values-based politics as a tool to attract voters nationwide.

The movement has pledged to expand operations across multiple states, engage community leaders, and empower citizens at the local level, marking a significant step in Nigeria’s evolving political landscape ahead of the 2027 polls.

Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027

Continue Reading

Politics

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

Published

on

Zadna Dantani

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

Less than 48 hours before the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council elections, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chairmanship candidate for Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC), Hon. Zadna Dantani, has pulled out of the race and declared support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Hon. Christopher Zakka Maikalangu.

Dantani’s withdrawal follows a similar move in Bwari Area Council, where the PDP candidate, Hon. Julius Adamu, stepped down in favour of APC’s Joshua Ishaku Musa, signalling a major shift in political alignment ahead of Saturday’s elections.

In a formal declaration, Dantani explained that his decision was influenced by high-level intervention from the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, whom he described as both “party leader and FCT leader.”

READ ALSO:

“I want to sincerely appreciate everyone who supported us. This decision is not about personal interests. The Honourable Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, emphasized that this is a brotherhood election. I am aligning with APC in support of the good works of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” Dantani said.

Dantani also confirmed that he had completed all legal formalities, including submitting a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), stating that the move was entirely voluntary and made after consultations with family and stakeholders.

He called on his supporters across AMAC’s 12 wards to vote for APC’s Christopher Maikalangu, describing the alignment as a step toward unity and effective governance in the territory.

Political analysts note that these high-profile PDP withdrawals in both AMAC and Bwari have reshaped the FCT political landscape, increasing APC’s chances of sweeping the elections and stirring debates about PDP’s internal cohesion ahead of upcoming local and national contests.

AMAC Polls Shock: Another PDP Candidate Withdraws from FCT Race, Backs APC

Continue Reading

Politics

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64

Published

on

Senator Mpigi Barinada

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64

Lawmaker representing the South East Senatorial district of Rivers State, Senator Mpigi Barinada is dead.

He was aged 64.

The Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Works, Akin Alabi, confirmed the sad development in a tribute post on his official X handle on Thursday.

He wrote, “Good night my dear friend. Rest in Peace, Senator Mpigi Barinada. Sen Mpigi represented Rivers South East in the Senate”.

The Rivers Senator was the Chairman, Senate Committee on Works.

READ ALSO:

Senator representing Nasarawa South, Mohammed Onawo, also paid glowing tribute to the late Rivers senator and urged his colleagues to honour his memory.

He spoke during the session of the Senate Committee on Culture and Tourism on Thursday.

First elected in 2011 to the lower house, he was re-elected for a second term in December 2016.

In 2019, he was elected as the Senator representing Rivers South East Senatorial District under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

 

Updated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending