metro
Impeached Lagos Obasa insists Meranda has resigned
Impeached Lagos Obasa insists Meranda has resigned
The embattled former Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa, has claimed that Mojisola Meranda resigned from her position as Speaker during a peace meeting with leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.
Speaking on Politics Today on Channels Television, Obasa said Meranda openly declared her resignation at a gathering of party leaders in Marina, Lagos.
“There was a meeting that took place in Marina where we had in attendance all the party leaders. Openly, Meranda herself made the statement that she had stepped down, she had resigned,” Obasa said.
His claim came in response to questions about why security aides attached to Meranda had been withdrawn, while his own were restored.
READ ALSO:
- NAFDAC withdraws approval of major anti-malaria drug
- International fraud syndicates setting up cells in Nigeria – EFCC
- Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan threatens to expose Akpabio
“When my own security personnel were removed even when I was not around, without my knowledge, without my consent, did I complain?” he asked.
Obasa argued that once a person resigns from office, all official privileges, including security details, would naturally be revoked.
The political drama in the Lagos Assembly intensified earlier on Thursday after security aides assigned to Meranda were withdrawn, fueling speculation about Obasa’s possible reinstatement.
Shortly after, Obasa announced that he had resumed his position as Speaker. However, the majority of lawmakers swiftly rejected his claim.
Despite the rejection, Obasa attempted to preside over a “plenary session” with only four lawmakers in attendance out of the 40-member assembly.
The remaining lawmakers, although present at the complex, refused to participate.
Impeached Lagos Obasa insists Meranda has resigned
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Atiku’s suit seeking Tinubu’s disqualification meets deadline, faces procedural hurdle
