Police declare activist Sowore wanted over planned protest - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Police declare activist Sowore wanted over planned protest

Published

on

Police declare activist Sowore wanted over planned protest

The Lagos State Police Command has declared activist and politician Omoyele Sowore wanted for allegedly planning to disrupt public peace by staging a protest on the Third Mainland Bridge.

Commissioner of Police Olohundare Jimoh made the announcement early Monday, citing intelligence reports that Sowore and his supporters intended to block the bridge in protest of recent house demolitions in Oworonshoki.

Jimoh, who led a deployment of anti-riot officers to the bridge at 8 a.m., said the move was aimed at safeguarding critical infrastructure and ensuring uninterrupted movement for thousands of commuters between Lagos Island and the mainland.

“I hereby declare Sowore wanted for offences including disturbance of public peace and planning to obstruct traffic, thereby creating hardship for Lagos residents,” Jimoh stated. “He should report to the nearest police station. We are closing in on him and will arrest, investigate, and prosecute him.”

The Commissioner expressed concern over Sowore’s absence from Lagos, despite his history of organizing protests in Abuja. He emphasized that the Third Mainland Bridge is vital to the city’s economy and warned that any attempt to block it could compromise its structural integrity and endanger public safety.

READ ALSO:

“Bridges are designed for moving traffic, not prolonged stationary loads. Any obstruction is a direct threat to national infrastructure,” Jimoh said.

To prevent access to the bridge, police units have been stationed at strategic locations including Iyana-Oworo, Ilubirin, Berger bus stop, and major terminals. Traffic-control teams have also been mobilized to maintain flow and minimize disruption.

Jimoh confirmed the arrest of 13 individuals linked to alleged “miscreant” activity and warned that anyone exploiting the demolition issue to incite violence would face legal consequences. He added that residents entitled to compensation had been duly paid by the relevant government agency.

Additional police deployments have been made at Lekki Toll Gate and Freedom Park to deter parallel protests or coordinated disruptions.

“We are fully prepared to respond to any eventuality within the bounds of the law,” Jimoh assured.

In response, Sowore took to his verified Facebook page, alleging that the police declaration stemmed from their failure to carry out a “shoot on sight” order purportedly issued by the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun.

“Despite my repeated attempts to contact Commissioner Jimoh, he has not taken my calls. Nevertheless, I plan to meet with him soon to address his declaration,” Sowore wrote.

The situation continues to unfold as tensions rise over the demolition and its aftermath.

Police declare activist Sowore wanted over planned protest

Loading

metro

Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Urges South-West Govs To Tighten Security

Published

on

Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Urges South-West Govs To Tighten Security

Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Urges South-West Govs To Tighten Security

The pan-Yoruba socio-political organisation, Afenifere, has urged governors in the South-West to strengthen security measures across the region following the recent Oyo school attacks in Oriire Local Government Area, where suspected terrorists and bandits killed a teacher and abducted several others.

The appeal comes after coordinated attacks on three schools in the area, which have heightened concerns over rising insecurity in South-West Nigeria and the growing vulnerability of rural communities, schools and highways.

In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Jare Ajayi, the group said its leader, Pa Reuben Fasoranti, was deeply saddened by the incident, noting that it occurred during the same week he celebrated his 100th birthday.

Afenifere said Fasoranti expressed sympathy with the victims and their families and prayed for the safe return of those abducted as well as the recovery of those injured.

The organisation stressed that the protection of lives and property remains the core responsibility of government, urging state authorities to take more proactive steps to prevent further attacks.

According to Afenifere, repeated incidents of kidnapping, banditry, and armed attacks in rural communities show the need for stronger coordination among South-West states and improved deployment of security resources.

The group called on governors in the region to prioritise community security, enhance intelligence gathering, and ensure better coordination between formal security agencies and local security outfits such as the Amotekun Corps and community vigilantes.

It warned that failure to act decisively could embolden criminal groups, especially amid concerns that armed elements displaced from other parts of the country are increasingly shifting operations towards the South-West.

READ ALSO:

Afenifere also commended the swift response of the Inspector-General of Police, noting that security agencies acted quickly by visiting the affected communities and launching intensified operations aimed at rescuing the abducted victims.

The group described the establishment and deployment of specialised police response units as a positive step, expressing hope that such measures would help curb violent crimes, school kidnappings, and rural attacks across the region.

While acknowledging that national security remains the constitutional responsibility of the Federal Government, Afenifere maintained that state governments must also maximise their resources and political authority to secure their territories.

The organisation further urged governors to move beyond periodic security meetings and adopt sustained, intelligence-driven strategies capable of preventing attacks rather than merely reacting to them.

It recommended increased investment in surveillance systems, improved monitoring of forest corridors, and stronger inter-state collaboration to track and neutralise criminal movements across boundaries.

Afenifere also extended condolences to victims of the Oyo attacks and called on residents to remain vigilant and support security agencies with timely and credible intelligence.

The group warned that continued attacks on schools and rural settlements could disrupt education, displace communities, and worsen fear among residents if urgent steps are not taken.

The recent Oyo incident has continued to draw national attention, with stakeholders calling for urgent reforms in school security, rural protection strategies, and inter-agency coordination across Nigeria.

Oyo School Attacks: Afenifere Urges South-West Govs To Tighten Security

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Makinde Orders Massive Security Crackdown After Oyo School Abduction

Published

on

Governor of Oyo State, Engr. Seyi Makinde
Governor of Oyo State, Engr. Seyi Makinde

Makinde Orders Massive Security Crackdown After Oyo School Abduction

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has intensified rescue operations following the abduction of seven teachers during a deadly attack by suspected terrorists and bandits on two schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.

The attack, which targeted Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School, has triggered widespread fear and outrage across Oyo State, with security agencies now carrying out coordinated operations to rescue the victims and track down the attackers.

Speaking during a late-night security briefing in Ibadan after a high-level meeting with security chiefs, Makinde confirmed that one of the abducted teachers had been killed by the gunmen.

“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” the governor said.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families affected.”

Makinde disclosed that seven teachers were confirmed abducted during the attack, while authorities were still trying to determine the exact number of missing pupils because of the confusion that followed the invasion of the schools.

“We don’t have any accurate number right now because when the incident happened, students, parents and guardians moved in different directions,” he explained.

“Until we reopen the schools and verify the registers, we cannot provide a precise number.”

The governor announced that the state government had launched an expanded joint security operation involving the Nigerian Army, Police, Department of State Services (DSS), Amotekun Corps, local hunters and intelligence agencies.

According to him, the operation is focused on rescuing the victims, dismantling criminal hideouts and restoring security across vulnerable communities in Oriire and surrounding areas.

Makinde revealed that some security operatives were injured during rescue operations after encountering improvised explosive devices (IEDs) allegedly planted by the attackers.

READ ALSO:

“One of the Amotekun operatives is currently in critical condition, while soldiers, hunters and other operatives sustained injuries during the operation,” he said.

“The government will take full responsibility for their treatment and recovery.”

The governor stressed that the rescue effort remained highly delicate and required strategic coordination to avoid putting the abducted victims at greater risk.

“This is a difficult and painful situation. There are no quick fixes, but we will continue to push ourselves to the limit to ensure that our children are brought back safely,” he added.

Makinde also announced that the Oyo State Government would begin daily press briefings to keep residents informed about developments in the rescue mission and security operations.

In a major breakthrough, the governor disclosed that security agencies had arrested several suspects linked to the attack, including individuals accused of supplying intelligence and logistics to the gunmen.

“About six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them are believed to be informants or persons providing logistical support to the terrorists,” he stated.

“Three other persons of interest have also been arrested by another security outfit within the state.”

Security sources said the suspects were picked up during coordinated raids carried out in nearby communities following intelligence gathering by local vigilantes and security operatives.

Makinde warned that increased military offensives against terrorists and bandits in Nigeria’s North-West and North-East were forcing criminal groups to migrate towards southern states, including parts of the South-West.

“With increased pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will continue to move southwards,” he warned.

“We must be prepared to neutralise or contain that pressure.”

The governor disclosed that Oyo State had already strengthened collaboration with neighbouring states and regional security outfits to improve intelligence sharing and coordinated responses against emerging security threats.

He also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to upgrading the state’s security architecture around vulnerable areas such as schools, highways, factories and farming communities.

“We just have to keep pushing and retooling our security architecture to focus on vulnerable points — whether schools, factories, or people travelling from one place to another,” Makinde stated.

Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has reportedly ordered the deployment of additional tactical and intelligence teams to support the ongoing rescue operations in the affected communities.

The governor appealed to residents, community leaders and religious organisations, especially the Baptist Convention, to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing useful information.

“One of the affected schools is a Baptist school, and I want to appeal to the Baptist Convention and all residents not to panic,” Makinde said.

“We are doing everything within our power to ensure this situation is resolved quickly and safely.”

He added that while the government would continue to provide regular updates to the public, sensitive operational details capable of compromising rescue efforts would remain confidential.

The latest school attack has renewed concerns about rising insecurity in parts of Oyo State and the South-West, with civil society groups and education stakeholders demanding stronger protection for schools and rural communities.

Makinde Orders Massive Security Crackdown After Oyo School Abduction

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers

Published

on

EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers

EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is intensifying efforts to recover more than N123.7bn allegedly linked to corruption, fraud and money laundering involving six former ministers who served under the administration of late President Muhammadu Buhari.

The anti-graft agency is currently prosecuting and investigating the former cabinet members over allegations ranging from abuse of office and contract fraud to diversion of public funds and illicit asset acquisition during Buhari’s administration between 2015 and 2023.

The former ministers under EFCC scrutiny are ex-Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN); former Aviation Minister, Hadi Sirika; ex-Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman; former Labour Minister, Chris Ngige; former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva; and former Humanitarian Affairs Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq.

The investigations have renewed public scrutiny of the anti-corruption legacy of the Buhari administration, which came into office in 2015 with a strong promise to fight corruption.

As a presidential candidate, Buhari famously declared: “If we don’t kill corruption, corruption will kill Nigeria.”

However, several senior officials who served in his government later became subjects of high-profile corruption allegations and financial crime investigations.

Among the former ministers, ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman has recorded the most significant legal setback after his conviction by a Federal High Court in Abuja.

The court found Mamman guilty on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and diversion of public funds linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru Hydroelectric Power projects.

Justice James Omotosho sentenced the former minister to a cumulative 75 years imprisonment after ruling that about N33.8bn earmarked for critical power projects was diverted through proxies and shell companies.

READ ALSO:

The court also ordered Mamman to refund approximately N22bn to the Federal Government.

The EFCC described the conviction as one of its biggest successes in the prosecution of politically exposed persons in recent years.

Former Aviation Minister Hadi Sirika is currently standing trial alongside his daughter, Fatima Sirika, and son-in-law, Jalal Sule, over alleged abuse of office and fraudulent contract awards valued at about N2.7bn.

According to the EFCC, Sirika allegedly used his office to award contracts linked to the Katsina Airport project and consultancy services for a Nigerian Air Force initiative to companies associated with members of his family.

The defendants pleaded not guilty when they were arraigned before the Federal High Court in Abuja and were later granted bail.

The trial is expected to continue later this year.

Former Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, was arraigned in December 2025 over allegations of abuse of office, unlawful gratification and contract fraud.

The EFCC alleged that the former Anambra governor received financial benefits and gifts worth about N2.26bn from contractors linked to the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) during his tenure as minister.

Prosecutors accused Ngige of influencing contract processes and benefiting from companies awarded government contracts under agencies supervised by his ministry.

Ngige pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Former Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), is also facing multiple investigations over alleged illicit financial dealings, suspicious investments and money laundering.

The EFCC is probing investments reportedly worth over N10bn in Kebbi State as well as transactions connected to recovered Sani Abacha loot amounting to about N346.2m.

In January 2026, a Federal High Court in Abuja ordered the interim forfeiture of 57 properties allegedly linked to Malami and two of his sons.

The properties, spread across Abuja, Kebbi, Kano and Kaduna states, were valued at more than N213.2bn.

Some of the assets listed by investigators include luxury duplexes in Maitama and Asokoro, hotels, schools, factories, petrol stations and commercial buildings.

Malami, his wife and one of his sons are also facing an alleged N8.7bn money laundering case before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The EFCC also declared former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, wanted over an alleged $14.8m fraud, equivalent to about N21bn.

The anti-graft agency accused the former Bayelsa governor of conspiracy and dishonest conversion of funds belonging to the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB).

According to investigators, the money was allegedly diverted for the development of the Atlantic International Refinery project.

Former Humanitarian Affairs Minister, Sadiya Umar Farouq, is also under investigation over alleged diversion of public funds.

The former minister is being investigated over an earlier EFCC probe involving alleged diversion of N37.1bn from social intervention programmes.

She is also linked to another case involving alleged diversion of about $1.3m and N746.6m.

The investigations are part of broader efforts by the EFCC to track the management of public funds under the previous administration.

With several cases still pending before different courts, legal analysts say the outcome of the prosecutions could shape public perception of Nigeria’s anti-corruption war and determine whether the government can successfully recover billions of naira allegedly diverted by former public officials.

If convictions and final forfeiture orders are secured, the Federal Government could recover more than N123bn in cash and assets linked to the embattled ex-ministers.

EFCC Targets N123bn Recovery From Six Ex-Buhari Ministers

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending