News
US seeks stronger cooperation with Nigeria to protect Christians amid rising security concerns
US seeks stronger cooperation with Nigeria to protect Christians amid rising security concerns
The United States is pushing for deeper cooperation with Nigeria to address ongoing attacks on Christians, a senior US official said on Thursday, weeks after President Donald Trump threatened potential military action over the issue.
A high-level Nigerian delegation, led by National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu, is currently in Washington for talks focused on US concerns regarding the persistent killings affecting Christian communities in Africa’s most populous nation.
Jonathan Pratt, the State Department’s top official for Africa, told the US Congress that the delegation is scheduled to meet Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau to develop a coordinated response.
According to Pratt, the Trump administration aims to “work with the Nigerian government on an action plan and to set up a task force” dedicated to protecting vulnerable Christian populations. While he did not confirm any military considerations, he acknowledged that internal discussions had occurred “on the security side of the equation.”
READ ALSO:
- Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Life Sentence, Vows to Challenge Court Ruling
- BREAKING: Federal High Court Sentences Nnamdi Kanu to Life Imprisonment for Terrorism
- Ramaphosa Slams US Boycott Ahead of First-Ever African G20 Summit in South Africa
He added that the US intends to “use all tools at our disposal” to ensure sustained attention on the issue.
Nigeria, a religiously diverse nation, continues to grapple with multiple violent conflicts — many of which claim both Christian and Muslim lives. While Christian groups refer to the crisis as a form of “genocide,” several analysts argue that many of the clashes are tied to resource disputes rather than purely religious motives.
Catholic Bishop Wilfred Chikpa Anagbe, speaking via video link during the congressional hearing, criticised the Nigerian government for what he described as “silence and refusal to engage” on attacks targeting Christians. He said Abuja had failed to treat the killings as a national emergency.
Representative Sara Jacobs, the top Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Africa, denounced Trump’s rhetoric as “reckless,” warning that threats of military action had already strained relations between Christian and Muslim communities. She questioned the administration’s decision to cut funding meant to strengthen community dialogue, arguing that a military-heavy approach could worsen civilian harm and fuel extremism.
The debate in Washington highlights escalating international concern over Nigeria’s insecurity and the growing pressure on the federal government to provide greater protection for its citizens.
US seeks stronger cooperation with Nigeria to protect Christians amid rising security concerns
News
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
President Bola Tinubu has commenced a strategic expansion of Nigeria’s defence diplomacy, engaging the European Union (EU) and Turkey to strengthen the nation’s security architecture while reducing overreliance on the United States. The initiative comes as Nigeria faces multiple security threats, including Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east, farmer-herder clashes in the north-central region, separatist violence in the south-east, and escalating banditry in the north-west.
The move coincided with a visit to Brussels by National Security Adviser Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, who led discussions at the first EU-Nigeria Peace, Security, and Defence Dialogue. Both sides agreed to deepen collaboration on regional stability, counter-terrorism, and violent extremism, while enhancing intelligence sharing, maritime security, and cybersecurity cooperation. An EU diplomat in Abuja emphasized that the bloc would provide non-lethal military support, while respecting Nigeria’s sovereignty, describing the EU as “more consistent, more reliable, and more coherent than the United States” in delivering security assistance.
READ ALSO:
- Again, Early Morning Blaze Destroys Dozens of Shops in Kano Market
- Suspected Terrorists Warn Kebbi Residents: Pay ₦100 Million or Face Attack
- ICPC Searches El-Rufai’s Abuja Home Amid Multi-Agency Corruption Investigation
During his state visit to Turkey in January 2026, President Tinubu also held defence discussions with Turkish officials. Turkish companies pledged to supply military equipment, advanced systems, and tactical hardware, while exploring joint local production arrangements with Nigeria. Türkiye is currently regarded as a global leader in armed drones, which could bolster Nigeria’s counter-terrorism operations and reconnaissance capabilities.
Despite these new partnerships, Nigeria continues security cooperation with the United States, including deployments by United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) to support training, intelligence sharing, and operational planning. Recent U.S. personnel arrivals in Bauchi State aim to enhance counter-terrorism capacity without taking direct combat roles, operating under Nigerian command structures.
Analysts say Nigeria’s diversified defence diplomacy seeks to reduce dependency on a single partner, while providing access to a wider range of technology transfer, training opportunities, procurement options, and operational expertise. The strategy also reflects a broader trend of African nations balancing traditional defence alliances with emerging strategic partners to better address evolving security threats.
With regional instability and domestic insurgency on the rise, Nigeria’s engagement with Turkey, the EU, and other partners is expected to strengthen the Nigerian Armed Forces, enhance counter-terrorism operations, and secure national and regional stability.
Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU
News
Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
President Bola Tinubu and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz have agreed to deepen bilateral relations between Nigeria and Germany, with a focus on security cooperation, power infrastructure, and railway development.
The commitment emerged during a telephone discussion on Wednesday, in which both leaders reaffirmed their dedication to expanding collaboration across critical sectors.
A major topic was Nigeria’s Presidential Power Initiative. President Tinubu highlighted the need for further support, particularly in power transmission infrastructure, to ensure reliable electricity supply nationwide. Chancellor Merz expressed Germany’s readiness to assist, noting that Siemens could provide technical support and Deutsche Bank could finance components of the initiative.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu, el-Rufai and the cobra
- American Woman, 64, Alleges Embassy Mocked 27-Year-Old Fiancé Before Visa Denial
- Epstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
Security concerns in the Sahel region also featured prominently in the call. President Tinubu stressed the urgent need for enhanced intelligence and reconnaissance capabilities, including the provision of used helicopters to strengthen regional security. “The Sahel corridor is bad and needs our support. Intelligence support and reconnaissance are needed,” he said.
Beyond security and infrastructure, both leaders emphasized the potential for collaboration in creative arts and skills development. Chancellor Merz highlighted the value of cultural exchange and proposed establishing a Great Museum of African Arts to promote African heritage internationally.
Nigeria-Germany diplomatic relations have spanned more than 65 years, with longstanding economic and political ties. Chancellor Merz also welcomed Nigeria’s incoming ambassador to Berlin, signaling intentions to further consolidate bilateral engagements.
The 10-minute telephone call, which began at 2:01 p.m. and ended at 2:10 p.m., was confirmed in a statement by President Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, on February 18, 2026.
Tinubu, German Chancellor Merz Pledge Stronger Nigeria-Germany Ties
News
American Woman, 64, Alleges Embassy Mocked 27-Year-Old Fiancé Before Visa Denial
American Woman, 64, Alleges Embassy Mocked 27-Year-Old Fiancé Before Visa Denial
A 64-year-old American woman has claimed that officials at the U.S. Embassy in Lagos, Nigeria mocked her relationship with her 27-year-old Nigerian fiancé before denying his K-1 fiancé visa, leaving her emotionally distressed. The woman, who identified herself as Deborah, shared her experience during a live call with U.S. immigration attorney Jim Hacking, highlighting the challenges and perceived bias in the visa process.
Deborah explained that her fiancé attended a formal interview at the embassy but was issued a 221(g) refusal form, a common administrative measure indicating that further processing or verification is required before a visa can be granted. The notice stated that the applicant “does not meet the qualifications for the visa class.” Hacking told Deborah that 221(g) refusals often occur when consular officers have unresolved questions about the authenticity of a relationship, especially in cases involving significant age differences or unusual circumstances.
According to Deborah, the interview proceeded normally until the consular officer asked about the couple’s age difference. When informed that she was 64 and her fiancé 27, she alleges the officer reacted with surprise, repeatedly referenced her age, and appeared to discuss the relationship with a colleague outside the room. She described seeing both officers laughing in the hallway before returning and issuing the visa refusal.
READ ALSO:
- CBN Policies, Foreign Inflows Drive Naira to Two-Year Peak
- Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser
- Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities
Deborah said her fiancé presented about 20 documents, including photographs and chat records, to prove the legitimacy of their nearly two-year-long relationship. However, she claimed the consular officer dismissed the evidence as unnecessary at that stage.
Hacking advised Deborah that under such circumstances, the couple might consider marrying first and applying for a spousal visa, rather than a fiancé visa. He explained that even then, the process could take up to two years, a timeline that left Deborah visibly distressed during the live call.
Visa denials under Section 221(g) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act are not uncommon and typically signal the need for additional documentation or administrative review rather than permanent ineligibility. Recent U.S. visa policies for Nigerians have tightened, including additional social-media disclosure requirements, reflecting broader efforts to combat fraud and ensure compliance with immigration rules.
Deborah described the denial as a “devastating blow” to a relationship she and her fiancé have nurtured for years. Despite prior visits to Nigeria, she said she had been hoping to spend more time with her fiancé in the U.S., a plan now complicated by procedural delays and bureaucratic hurdles.
American Woman, 64, Alleges Embassy Mocked 27-Year-Old Fiancé Before Visa Denial
-
News3 days agoSaudi Arabia Confirms Sighting of Ramadan Crescent, Fasting Begins Wednesday
-
metro3 days agoLagos Woman Shares Ordeal After Alleged Rape, Sparks Nationwide Outcry
-
News2 days agoRamadan Begins in Nigeria as Sultan Confirms Crescent Sighting
-
International19 hours agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
metro2 days agoSeven Killed in Horrific Crash at Ota Toll Gate
-
metro3 days agoDeadlock at National Assembly as House Snubs Electoral Act Bill Meeting on E-Transmission Clause
-
News2 days agoKorope Drivers Shut Down Lekki–Epe Expressway Over Lagos Ban (Video)
-
Health2 days agoRamadan Health Tips: Six Ways to Stay Hydrated While Fasting


