metro
US to offer Kyari legal representation, keeps mum on extradition
THE Department of Justice of the United States of America has declined comments on the planned extradition of suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari.
The justice department, however, reiterated that Kyari is facing charges filed in 2021 which led to his indictment, adding that he would be offered legal representation in the US.
In an email to an inquiry sent by Sunday PUNCH, Thom Mrozek, the Director of media relations of the United States Attorney’s Office said, “ We will not have any comment in relation to a pending extradition request for any defendant.
“In relation to Mr Kyari, he already faces charges that we filed last year in Los Angeles after a federal grand jury issued an indictment.
“I can tell you that all criminal defendants in the United States are entitled to legal representation.”
The PUNCH had reported that Kyari was suspended in July 2021 by the Inspector- General of Police, Usman Baba, for alleged involvement in a $1.1 million Internet fraud allegedly perpetrated by Hushpuppi and four others; AbdulRahman Juma (Abdul); Vincent Chibuzo (Kelly); Rukayat Fashola (Morayo); and Bolatito Agbabiaka (Bolamide).
The Federal Bureau of Investigation had alleged that Hushpuppi paid $20,600 to two bank accounts allegedly provided by Kyari on January 20, 2020.
READ ALSO:
- Many 2023 political aspirants should be in jail – Obasanjo
- Pressure Mounts on Osinbajo to Declare for President
- Rendition: IPOB alerts UN, EU, AU, USA, others
- BREAKING: Lagos CP orders arrest of host over petrol souvenir
FBI Special Agent, Andrew Innocenti, said he obtained voice calls and WhatsApp conversations between Kyari and Hushpuppi, adding that Hushpuppi also paid the police officer N8m or $20,600 for the arrest and detention of a “co-conspirator,” Chibuzo Vincent.
The US court had ordered the FBI to arrest Kyari.
The PUNCH had also reported how the suspended DCP had been detained by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency since February 14,2022 for attempting to sell 25kg of cocaine which was seized from some drug dealers.
The NDLEA had also accused him of being a drug kingpin.
The Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, in a statement by his Media Aide, Umar Gwandu, last week stated that the Nigerian government was willing to extradite Kyari to the United States where he has been indicted for his role in an international fraud involving Hushpuppi.
The NDLEA revealed that it had filed eight counts against Kyari before a Federal High Court on Monday and that Kyari would be arraigned on March 7.
But some Senior Advocate of Nigeria in separate interviews with Sunday PUNCH argued that since the US had already concluded its investigations and charges had been filed, the final decision to extradite the embattled cop lies on the court.
In an interview with our correspondent, Mr Ebunolu Adegboruwa,SAN, said, “ Seeing what Hushpuppi himself has gone through in the United States of America, he has confessed to the crimes and he has pleaded for a plea bargain.
“Documents have been admitted so it would be easier to conduct the prosecution of Abba Kyari since investigations in that case has already been concluded . It’s better in law that he should go and face the charges against him in US so he can exonerate himself.
“The final decision on the extradition, however, depends on the judge. The AGF has submitted the request and the NDLEA has also filed the charges”.
Another SAN, Chief Mike Ozekhome in a separate interview with Sunday PUNCH argued that Abba Kyari is still presumed innocent until proven guilty, hence the court will have the final decision.
READ ALSO:
- Nigeria Global Terrorism Index Improves, Ranks 6 – Report
- APC Convention: Supporters Raise N10m To Buy Form For Adamu
- Protests against Russian invasion of Ukraine fill streets around the globe + Photos
He said, “The issue as to whether or not the court will refuse the extradition of Abba Kyari seeing as he is undergoing a case in Nigeria has been laid to rest in section 9 of the Extradition Act, which states that:
“Hearing of a case by magistrate and committal or discharge of prisoner, when a fugitive criminal is brought before a magistrate on a warrant under section 7 of this Act, or when, in the case of a fugitive criminal brought before a magistrate on a provisional warrant under section 8 of this Act and remanded in pursuance of subsection (5) of the said section 8, an order of the Attorney-General under section 6 of this Act relating to that fugitive is received, the magistrate shall proceed with the case as in the same manner, as near as may be, and shall have the same jurisdiction and powers, as if the fugitive were brought before him charged with an offence committed within his jurisdiction.
“It is important to also say that while the matter is going on in court, the alleged criminal is assumed innocent until proven guilty as contained in section 36 (5) which is stated thus:
(5) Every person who is charged with a criminal offence shall be presumed to be innocent until he is proved guilty:
Provided that nothing in this section shall invalidate any law by reason only that the law imposes such person the burden of providing particular facts.
“Even when the Federal High Court gives its judgment against Abba Kyari, he is entitled to appeal such a matter at the Court of Appeal and even further appeal same at the Supreme Court”.
Also, another SAN, Yomi Aliyu said, “The duty of the AGF is to file an application for extradition in court. The defendant which in this case is Abba Kyari can raise a defence and when these have been done, the final decision lies with the judge. The judge has a discretion to determine whether or not the purported trial is fluke.”
Punch
![]()
metro
Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
The Lagos State Government has inaugurated the planning committee for the 2026 World Habitat Day celebration, charging members to deploy their expertise and work collaboratively towards finding sustainable solutions to the state’s housing and urban development challenges.
The committee was inaugurated last Tuesday by the Permanent Secretary, Office of Physical Planning, Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Tpl. Olayinka Adebayo Wasiu, at the Ministry’s Conference Room in Alausa, Ikeja.
Speaking at the inauguration, Wasiu described World Habitat Day as an important platform for reflecting on the state of human settlements and reaffirming the fundamental right of every individual to adequate housing.
He said the 2026 theme, “Adequate Housing for All,” was particularly relevant to Lagos, given the need for stronger and more coordinated efforts to address housing challenges and improve living conditions across the state.
The Permanent Secretary called for greater collaboration among government agencies, private sector operators, development partners and other stakeholders in the built environment, stressing that the housing challenge required a comprehensive and sustainable response.
“I want you all to bring your expertise and contribute meaningfully before, during and after the programme because Lagos is widely regarded as the pacesetter of development in Nigeria,” he said.
Wasiu further urged committee members to approach their assignments with professionalism, dedication and a strong sense of purpose, while leveraging their diverse expertise to deliver a meaningful and impactful celebration.
He said the housing deficit could no longer be addressed through fragmented interventions, noting that a holistic approach was required to bridge the existing gap.
“The housing deficit is something we have to critically and holistically address in order to bridge the existing gap,” he added.
READ ALSO:
- Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
- Hawk Fire in US Rages On, Burns 10,500 Acres in Nevada, Forces Mass Evacuations
- ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
He explained that the Office of Physical Planning was responsible for coordinating the annual World Habitat Day observance in Lagos, adding that members of the 2026 planning committee were drawn from various Ministries, Departments and Agencies to promote broad representation, inclusiveness and effective coordination.
World Habitat Day is observed globally on the first Monday of October each year to draw attention to the state of human settlements and the right to adequate shelter.
The 2026 Lagos State celebration is scheduled for Monday, October 5, at the Blue Roof, LTV Complex, Agidingbi, Ikeja.
The state government reaffirmed its commitment to sustainable urban development, expanding access to adequate housing and implementing policies aimed at improving the quality of life of Lagos residents.

Lagos Moves to Tackle Housing Deficit, Inaugurates 2026 World Habitat Day Committee
![]()
metro
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has uncovered an alleged fake government agency that operated from the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) for years while presenting itself as a properly constituted federal institution.
The organisation, identified as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, allegedly claimed that it had received Federal Executive Council (FEC) approval in 2017 under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the ICPC said its investigation found that the office was operating without presidential authorisation and contrary to extant laws, raising questions about how it secured office space within the OSGF complex and maintained an official-looking structure for years.
The development was disclosed by ICPC Chairman, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN, after he briefed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the Commission’s investigation into the alleged fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC) and other weaknesses in the public service.
Aliyu said the discovery of the alleged fake agency emerged from the broader investigation into how unauthorised organisations could operate within government structures.
He said the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office had been illegally allocated office space within the OSGF premises, despite allegedly lacking the required authorisation to function as a federal agency.
The Commission identified George Buchi Nwabueze as the alleged promoter of the organisation.
According to the ICPC chairman, Nwabueze allegedly operated under several variations of his name, including George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Hon. George Buchi Nwabueze and Prince George Buchi Nwabueze.
A profile on the organisation’s website lists Nwabueze George as its “Executive Director, National Coordinator”, further linking the individual to the organisation at the centre of the ICPC investigation.
READ ALSO:
- Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded
- 2027: Over 500 Northern Muslim Clerics Endorse Tinubu for Second Term
- Messi Fined for Slapping Opponent in Heated Philadelphia Draw
The organisation had built an elaborate public profile around its activities. Its website presented the office as an initiative focused on promoting Made-in-Nigeria products, supporting local industries, developing Nigerian brands and encouraging investment in domestic manufacturing.
Its stated objectives included the revival of moribund factories through investment arrangements, support for local brands, development of a national labelling and counterfeit surveillance system, and promotion of Nigerian products through trade fairs and exhibitions.
The organisation also published what it described as a “Bill for an Act to Establish the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission and for Related Matters.”
The purported legislation, identified on its website as the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Promotion Commission Act, 2025, was presented as providing a legal framework for the establishment of a commission responsible for promoting Nigerian brands and local manufacturing.
However, the publication of the proposed bill does not, by itself, establish that the organisation had been legally created as a federal agency.
The organisation also claimed that its activities had a 2017 FEC approval.
According to information published on its website, the Federal Executive Council allegedly approved a “National Campaign to Sensitize Nigerians on the Patronage of Made-in-Nigeria Products” at a meeting held at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on February 1, 2017.
The organisation listed the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment as the implementing ministry.
That claim has become one of the issues requiring verification as part of the ICPC investigation. While the organisation presents the 2017 FEC approval as part of its history, the anti-corruption agency maintains that the office was operating without the necessary presidential authorisation.
The alleged agency also established an extensive nationwide leadership structure, with national, zonal and state coordinators.
Its published structure included officials assigned to different geopolitical zones and states, creating the appearance of a federal organisation with representation across the country.
The organisation’s website also displayed official-looking green-and-white insignia bearing references to “The Presidency” and “Made in Nigeria”, further contributing to its public presentation as a government-backed initiative.
It maintained social media accounts under the handle @pmainpro on platforms including Facebook, Instagram, X and LinkedIn.
The ICPC is now investigating how the organisation was able to maintain such a structure and operate from government premises without being stopped earlier.
Aliyu also alleged that the organisation’s promoter may have had the suspected collaboration of some senior public servants within the OSGF.
The Commission is examining the role of officials who may have facilitated the organisation’s access to office accommodation and other government resources.
Following the ICPC briefing, President Tinubu ordered the immediate arrest of Nwabueze and directed the suspension of three permanent secretaries pending the outcome of the investigation.
The affected officials are M.S. Danjuma, Engr. Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah.
The presidential action came amid a wider investigation into alleged fictitious government structures, following the earlier discovery of the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC).
The ICPC had alleged that the PFIPC was not a legitimate federal government institution despite presenting itself as one. Its alleged promoter, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is facing prosecution over allegations including forgery and impersonation.
The discovery of the National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office has now widened concerns about fraudulent government structures and weaknesses in public-service oversight.
The case has raised questions about how an organisation allegedly lacking valid presidential authorisation could obtain office accommodation within the OSGF, establish a nationwide network of coordinators and maintain an official-looking online presence.
The ICPC said it had engaged officials of the OSGF to obtain additional information on how the organisation secured its accommodation and to establish the roles allegedly played by the suspended permanent secretaries and other individuals.
The Commission said its investigation would continue and that further findings would be communicated to the appropriate authorities.
For now, the alleged 2017 FEC approval, the circumstances surrounding the organisation’s occupation of government premises and the alleged involvement of public officials remain subjects of investigation.
The allegations against Nwabueze, the suspended officials and any other persons linked to the matter have not been established by a court. All individuals involved are entitled to due process and the presumption of innocence.
ICPC uncovers alleged fake agency claiming 2017 FEC approval after nine years
![]()
metro
Rivers Monarch Escapes Assassination as Gunmen Raze Palace, Several Wounded
-
metro2 days agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
-
News2 days agoDelta Governor Reveals ₦503,000 Monthly Salary, Says Permanent Secretaries Earn ₦900,000
-
metro3 days agoFormer MFM Pastor Femi Jimoh Dies After Years of Detention, Legal Dispute
-
Auto2 days agoDangote deploys technology to curb truck crashes, improve road safety
-
Politics3 days agoPBAT Door-to-Door Movement Holds Kano Rally, Strengthens APC Ties Ahead of 2027
-
Politics3 days agoAtiku Vows to Restore Fuel Subsidy If Elected in 2027
-
Sports2 days agoOkocha Ignites Fresh GOAT Debate: Nigerian Legend Says Messi Is ‘Art,’ Ronaldo Is ‘Goalscorer Like Haaland’
-
Africa3 days agoM23 Rebels Impose Ebola Movement Restrictions as DRC Conflict Complicates Outbreak Response
