Divorce-seeking wife beats husband to pulp in Lagos - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Divorce-seeking wife beats husband to pulp in Lagos

Published

on

Niyi Adeyemo

A 39-year-old man, Niyi Adeyemo, has accused his wife, Jumoke Bamgbola, 38, of beating him to a pulp during a disagreement at their residence on Love-All Street, Ikosi-Ketu, Lagos State.

Adeyemo, who was said to be suffering from arthritis, was admitted to a hospital after the alleged assault which happened on Monday.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the marriage, which was consummated in 2018, hit the rocks in 2019.

Adeyemo, who spoke to our correspondent from a hospital bed where he was receiving treatment, said his marriage crashed after his mother visited their home and his wife objected to it because she did not like his family visiting him.

This, he claimed, led to their separation.

He said his wife’s demand for a divorce became intense when she returned from Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in January 2022.

He said, “Bamgbola stormed my house on May 30, 2022, around 11am and asked me why I had not been picking up her lawyer’s phone calls. I refused to respond and she said that I must talk to her because she came prepared for me.

READ ALSO:

“I tried walking away, but she dragged me back and tore my native attire specially sown for my late mum’s burial and became violent.

“She started throwing punches at me all over my body, especially on my legs because she is aware of my health condition. She tossed me around the house and kept saying that she would make sure I was admitted to a hospital.

“She also dragged my private parts and bit my hands as I tried to prevent her from biting my manhood. I deliberately stopped myself from hitting her like I was advised. So, I telephoned her dad and put it on phone speaker; her dad called out her name, but she refused to respond or listen to him.

“Her dad asked me to leave the house, but I couldn’t, as she locked my neck with my torn clothes and said that I must give her a divorce. I passed out as a result of the severe pain and later found myself in a hospital.

 “My wife’s demand for a divorce became intense when she arrived from Dubai early this year. While she was in Dubai, we resolved our differences through video calls and made plans to relocate from where I stayed. But she suddenly changed and began comparing me with another man she met over there.

“She came back in January 2022 and requested to lodge at a hotel in the Lekki area of Lagos so as to self isolate because of Covid-19 to avoid virus infection on our son. Apparently, she came back to Nigeria with a boyfriend with whom she had arranged to spend the night in the hotel.

“I telephoned her several times, but she refused to receive my calls and when I used other people’s mobile phones to call, she cut off the calls after she heard my voice.

“She once telephoned me and said that only our child bound us together and I would be powerless after she took away our child. She later threatened to kill me with her bare hands if I didn’t give her a divorce because her boyfriend said that he could not marry someone who was married with a child.

“The matter has been reported at the Ketu Police Station, but she is yet to be arrested as she has gone into hiding.”

READ ALSO:

Reacting, Bamgbola said she filed for a divorce and her husband was served, but he refused to honour the court invite.

She said, “I went to the court on Monday to see the lawyer and he complained that my husband had not been picking up his calls or from my mum as well and I telephoned him, but he kept pleading with me that he did not want a divorce and that he had been suffering from anger disorder.

“He admitted that he allowed a third party in our marriage and that he was sorry. The lawyer told me that I had to see my husband and make him understand what I wanted because of our only child.

“So, I went to his place and met another lady with him in the kitchen. I asked for us to talk and asked why he refused to receive the lawyer’s calls and why he was telling people that he gave me N1.5m to rent an apartment, but he denied it.

“I actually visited to inform him that the court had fixed June 28, 2022, for our divorce case and discuss the matter with him if we could settle the dispute amicably. He usually beat me, but I always tried not to hit him back because he is a sickle cell patient.

“Apparently, it resulted in a fight, as I was also admitted to a hospital at the Ijoko area because I had a swollen face and bruises all over my body and could hardly talk. I visited the same Ketu Police Station to report a missing Samsung flip Z3 phone that I lost in his house and paid N2,000 at the station for the report.

“Ketu Police Station later reached out to me yesterday (Tuesday) that my husband filed a case of assault against me and I replied that I would visit the station on Sunday when I get better.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, promised to call back our correspondent after confirming the incident.

He had yet to do so as of press time.

Loading

metro

Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister

Published

on

Defence minister orders troops to shoot terrorists without waiting for orders

Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has given the Minister of Defence, Gen. Christopher Gwabin Musa (retd.), 14 days to take decisive action to halt killings and kidnappings in Sokoto State or resign from office.

MURIC, in a statement issued on Saturday by its Executive Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, said the ultimatum followed what it described as the worsening security situation in the state and the minister’s earlier pledge to end the killing of Nigerians.

According to the organisation, 43 people and an imam were killed while 19 others were abducted in three separate attacks in Sokoto State within the past few weeks.

MURIC said the victims were Muslims, adding that the continued attacks had heightened concerns over the safety of residents, farmers, travellers and communities across the state.

“Killings and kidnappings around Nigeria have continued unabated. The level of insecurity has risen to an all-time high. But these terrorist activities have been concentrated on Sokoto State in particular in the past two years,” Akintola said.

The group described the attacks as a reflection of what it called weaknesses in the country’s security architecture and accused the military of failing to adequately protect citizens in the affected areas.

MURIC further argued that attacks in Sokoto had wider implications because of the state’s historical and religious significance to Nigerian Muslims.

“If Abuja is Nigeria’s political capital, if Lagos is the country’s economic hub, then Sokoto is the heart of Islamdom in Nigeria,” the group said.

It urged the military to strengthen security around Sokoto, insisting that the state required what it described as an “iron-clad defence mechanism” to prevent further attacks.

The organisation also recalled statements reportedly made by Musa when he assumed office as Defence Minister in late 2025, in which he pledged to work towards ending killings and said he could not afford to fail himself, his country and his family.

MURIC said the current security situation in Sokoto amounted to a failure to fulfil that pledge.

“Today Sokoto is under siege. Farmers cannot go to their farms. Villagers seek safe haven in distant lands. City dwellers sleep with one eye open. Travellers have become human merchandise, abducted, humiliated, dehumanised and turned to mere goods whose price must be haggled with criminals,” Akintola said.

The group also expressed concern over a warning reportedly issued by the Department of State Services that terrorists were planning attacks on tertiary institutions in Sokoto State.

MURIC described the warning as a serious development, saying it further underscored the urgency of taking immediate and effective measures to protect residents and institutions in the state.

The organisation therefore gave the Defence Minister 14 days, beginning from Monday, August 24, to demonstrate what it called “visible, tangible and reliable changes” in the security situation in and around Sokoto.

MURIC said the objective should be to make the state, particularly the Sokoto metropolis, safe from terrorist and bandit attacks.

“The alternative is for the Minister to submit his letter of resignation on or before the ultimatum. There is no other option on the table,” Akintola said.

The organisation called on the Federal Government and the security agencies to intensify operations against terrorists and bandits while ensuring the protection of civilians, farmlands, educational institutions and major routes across Sokoto State.

 

Stop Sokoto killings or resign, MURIC tells Defence Minister

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Published

on

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, supported by vigilantes and local hunters, apprehended 30-year-old Halima Ibrahim during an intelligence-led raid in Bassa Local Government Area. The operation, linked to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, a locally fabricated revolver, and other military items.

Troops of Sector 1, Operation Enduring Peace, in collaboration with members of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria and local hunters, have arrested a suspected gunrunner and recovered an AK-47 rifle, magazines and other military-related items in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. The operation was carried out on Friday, August 21, following intelligence linking the area to the recent abduction of a medical doctor, Dr Abraham Owoicho, who was kidnapped on August 19.

According to security sources who spoke to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops moved into Kisayi and Dogon Daji settlements after receiving intelligence on the activities of suspected criminals operating in the communities. The troops, supported by local security volunteers and hunters, raided the settlements and searched identified locations.

Several male residents reportedly fled into the surrounding bush when they sighted the advancing security personnel, leaving women and children behind. A 30-year-old woman, identified as Halima Ibrahim, was however arrested while allegedly attempting to escape with two AK-47 rifle magazines. Following her arrest, troops cordoned off and searched her residence in Kisayi B Village.

The search reportedly led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, which investigators are working to trace to its source and determine its ownership. During preliminary questioning, the suspect allegedly told investigators that the rifle belonged to her husband, identified as Ibrahim. Troops also recovered a locally fabricated revolver pistol, a military jungle hat and three mobile phones from the residence. The suspect and the recovered items have been taken into military custody as investigations continue.

READ ALSO:

The Nigerian Army has reiterated its commitment to conducting intelligence-driven operations to dismantle criminal networks involved in kidnapping, arms trafficking, and other violent crimes across the country. The operation in Plateau was part of broader efforts, with separate operations in Edo State leading to the rescue of a kidnapped victim.

According to security sources, investigators are working to establish the source of the firearms, the circumstances surrounding their possession and any possible links between the suspects and criminal networks operating in the area. The operation forms part of ongoing efforts by security agencies to disrupt kidnapping networks and the illegal arms trade in Plateau State, particularly following recent abductions in Bassa Local Government Area. Further intelligence-driven operations are expected in the affected communities as security agencies continue investigations.

The arrest comes amid heightened security operations in Plateau State, where troops and other security agencies have intensified efforts to disrupt criminal networks. In a separate operation on August 19, troops of Sector 8, Operation Enduring Peace, recovered one AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated AK-47 rifle, one locally fabricated revolver rifle, two Dane guns and 15 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition during a raid in Mangu Local Government Area, following intelligence about a suspected attack on Mwar community. The military has also intensified operations across the state, with troops of Sector 6 arresting 19 suspects in Riyom Local Government Area following an ambush that killed two security operatives.

Troops Arrest Female Gunrunner, Recover AK-47 in Plateau

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Published

on

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.

The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.

A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.

“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.

An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.

The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).

The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.

The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

READ ALSO:

The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.

The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.

Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.

The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.

The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.

The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.

After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.

Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.

With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.

However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.

The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.

For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.

For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.

Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending