Business
Consumer Rights Group Kicks Against Proposed Sale of NIPP/NDPHC Power Plants
The Nigeria Consumer Protection Network (NCPN) says the proposed sale of the five National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) assets by the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) poses a national security risk.
President of the organisation, Kola Olubiyo, in a statement in Abuja, on Monday noted that the planned disposal of the plants under the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC), smacked of national assets stripping at a time the President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration is winding down.
The BPE recently pre-qualified 16 firms for the privatisation of the five NIPPs, including Geregu, Omotosho, Olorunsogo, Calabar and Benin-Ihovbor.
But the NCPN said it had seen the records of the firms described as the bidders for the NIPP plants, maintaining that some of the firms hardly have any experience in the business of power generation.
“The plants under the NIPP of the NDPHC have always been infrastructure providing power supply and national energy security.
“For instance, during the COVID-19 pandemic when the private Generation Companies (Gencos) ramped down electricity generation due to low revenue returns, the NIPPs being public assets, provided Nigeria with the much-needed energy security and its attendant socio-economic stability.
“They increased power supply to avoid economic and administrative shut down in the country.
“The private firms in the power sector so far have not fared better than the NDPHC Gencos which have its gas obligations, gas pipeline assets, contributed to both transmission and distribution networks nationwide,” the group argued.
READ ALSO:
- Something will soon happen in PDP, says Wike
- ‘How APC will share N30b from nomination forms’
- Pastor charged with impregnating two sisters
- Artemis 1: Nasa cancels moon mission launch over engine problem
Olubiyo, a member of the National Technical Investigative Panel on Power System Collapses/System Stability and Reliability and Presidential Ad-hoc Committee on Review of Electricity Tariff in Nigeria, argued that if at any point other Gencos shut down operations because of legacy debts allegedly owed them, the NIPPS could act as a buffer.
“What BPE and any designated agency of government should be thinking of at the moment is how to optimise the NIPP/NDPHC Gencos so that Nigerians can make the best use of this power sector intervention, as that was what they were designed for.
“The NIPP interventions which cut across the power sector value chain and implemented by NDPHC require that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) would have evaluated them and determined their real value.
“However, for over nine years, NERC has been endlessly doing evaluation of these investment values without result,” the group added.
Without this evaluation to determine the Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) in the NIPP power sector intervention projects, NDPHC, it argued, has been continually short-changed of revolving funds that should be re-invested into other power interventions.
“The NCPN at the moment opposes any move to sell off five of the NIPP Gencos for now. We are not saying that the plants would not be sold at the appropriate prices and time in the future.
“But not now, when Nigeria is seriously battling challenges of deliberate load rejection by the Distribution Companies (Discos) and deliberate low energy dispatch by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN)
“It is already election time and we believe that even if the five NIPP plants are sold, the proceeds may go into the hands of political cronies,” the NCPN stated.
It argued that selling off the five NIPP plants may not guarantee their optimal performance as the new investors will have to begin a fresh journey of having some levels of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) and Vesting Contracts with the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading PLC (NBET).
However, at the moment, it maintained that the NDPHC has some already signed bilateral contracts for a “Take or Pay” deal for gas supply agreement for some of the Gencos which can come handy.
“We advise the government to join hands with experts and professionals as well as like-minded people within and outside the power sector to come up with a comprehensive mechanism to address the decline in growth.
“As the House of Representatives sit this week to take a deeper look at the issues at stake, the group urged the Special Investigative Committee to look into the basic and fundamental challenges.
“The Nigerian government should also learn from the poor delivery of the 2013 power sector privatisation exercise also carried out by the same BPE,” the group said.
Business
Inflation Slows to 15.10% as Food Prices Eased in January
Inflation Slows to 15.10% as Food Prices Eased in January
Nigeria’s inflation rate recorded a marginal decline to 15.10 per cent in January 2026, signalling a slight moderation in consumer prices at the start of the year.
Latest data released on Monday by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) showed that headline inflation dipped from 15.15 per cent in December 2025, reflecting a 0.05 percentage point decrease.
The NBS, in its January Consumer Price Index (CPI) report, also revealed that food inflation — a key driver of household spending pressures — eased significantly to 8.89 per cent in January, down from 10.84 per cent recorded in December.
According to the bureau, the CPI dropped to 127.4 points in January from 131.2 points in the preceding month, representing a 3.8-point decline.
On a month-on-month basis, inflation fell sharply to -2.88 per cent in January, compared to 0.54 per cent in December — a 3.42 percentage point swing.
This indicates that the average price level not only slowed but contracted within the month under review.
“The Consumer Price Index (CPI) declined to 127.4 in January 2026, reflecting a 3.8-point decrease from the preceding month (131.2),” the NBS stated.
It added, “In January 2026, the headline inflation rate eased to 15.10%, down from 15.15% in December 2025.
“On a month-on-month basis, the headline inflation rate in January 2026 was -2.88%, which was 3.42% lower than the rate recorded in December 2025 (0.54%).”
The moderation in both headline and food inflation may offer cautious optimism for households and policymakers, particularly amid ongoing economic reforms and cost-of-living concerns.
However, analysts note that while the decline suggests easing price pressures, the overall inflation rate remains elevated, keeping purchasing power under strain.
Auto
Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
The Lagos State Government has dismissed widespread claims that a recent Court of Appeal judgment has stripped Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIOs) of their powers across Nigeria, insisting that the ruling applies strictly to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The clarification follows public reactions to a decision of the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, which upheld an earlier ruling of the Federal High Court restraining Vehicle Inspection Officers and the Directorate of Road Traffic Services in the FCT from stopping motorists, impounding vehicles, or imposing fines.
The judgment triggered viral interpretations suggesting that VIO operations had been outlawed nationwide.
However, Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro, SAN, described such interpretations as legally inaccurate and misleading.
Basis of the Court Decision
According to Pedro, both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal premised their decisions on the absence of statutory authority empowering VIO officials in the FCT to stop, impound, confiscate vehicles, or impose fines on motorists.
READ ALSO:
- Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
- FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception
- Mystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
“It is important to understand that the Honourable Judge of the Federal High Court and Justices of the Court of Appeal premised their decision on absence of statutory power conferred on the Respondents to stop, impound or confiscate vehicles and/or impose fines on motorists on roads in FCT Abuja,” he stated.
He noted that the courts did not declare vehicle inspection enforcement unconstitutional in Nigeria, but rather ruled specifically on the legal framework governing the FCT authorities involved in the suit.
Why Lagos Is Different
The Lagos government stressed that Nigeria’s federal structure allows states to legislate on residual matters such as road traffic management and vehicle inspection.
Pedro explained that Lagos operates under the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law, which expressly establishes and empowers the Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS).
Section 12(1) of the law authorises the VIS to:
Inspect and regulate the roadworthiness of vehicles
Conduct pre-registration inspections
Issue Road Worthiness Certificates
Collaborate with other relevant agencies to enforce traffic laws
In addition, Section 23(1) provides for penalties against offenders, subject to adjudication before mobile or magistrate courts, ensuring judicial oversight.
Not of Nationwide Effect
While acknowledging that the appellate decision is binding within the FCT, the Lagos government emphasised that it does not have automatic nationwide application.
“The judgment, though binding, is not of general application or of nationwide effect in Nigeria,” the ministry stated.
The state government stressed that VIS officers in Lagos remain legally empowered to carry out enforcement duties under extant state laws.
Wider Implications
The controversy underscores ongoing debates over traffic enforcement powers in Nigeria, particularly the constitutional boundaries between federal and state authorities.
Legal analysts note that unless the Supreme Court delivers a broader pronouncement on the issue, enforcement powers will continue to depend largely on the specific statutory framework establishing such agencies in each jurisdiction.
For now, Lagos authorities insist that vehicle inspection and traffic enforcement operations in the state remain valid and legally grounded.

Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
Auto
Chanrai Storms Nigeria’s Gas Market, Unveils High-Capacity CNG, LNG Solutions to Power Energy Shift
Chanrai Storms Nigeria’s Gas Market, Unveils High-Capacity CNG, LNG Solutions to Power Energy Shift
By Rasheed Bisiriyu
Nigeria’s drive towards cleaner and more affordable transport fuel gathered fresh momentum on Friday as Chanrai Nigeria Limited formally entered the country’s gas distribution space, unveiling high-capacity CNG and LNG compression technologies in Lagos.
The company, a member of the globally diversified Kewalram Chanrai Group, announced a strategic partnership with India’s Tulip Compression to roll out advanced compressor packages and integrated “single window” CNG solutions aimed at accelerating the Federal Government’s Presidential CNG Initiative.
Chief Operating Officer of Chanrai Nigeria Limited, Anil Sahgal, described the Tulip CNG Compressor Packages as a “game-changer” for Nigeria’s evolving energy landscape.
“With our commitment to safety, efficiency and OEM-grade partnership, we’re empowering the nation to achieve its CNG ambitions while driving economic growth and environmental sustainability,” Sahgal said.
The move marks Chanrai’s expansion beyond its traditional business interests — which span automobiles, agro-products, healthcare and fast-moving consumer goods — into the fast-growing gas infrastructure segment, as fleet operators and industrial users increasingly seek alternatives to petrol and diesel.
Under the partnership, Chanrai Nigeria and Tulip Compression will deliver Compression Station on Single Window (CssW) solutions — integrating compressors, dispensers, storage and stainless-steel tubing under one brand — to simplify deployment and reduce installation timelines.
The compressor packages come in a wide capacity range, from 250 to 4,500 standard cubic metres per hour, making them suitable for small refuelling stations as well as large gas hubs.
A 1,400 SCMH gas engine-driven booster compressor is designed to refuel heavy-duty CNG trucks in about 20 minutes by drawing gas from tube trailers.
The systems are available in both electric motor-driven and gas engine-driven configurations, eliminating the need for large gas generators while ensuring energy efficiency and lower life-cycle costs.
According to the company, the equipment features dual-chamber leak-proof safety systems, advanced sealing technology to eliminate gas loss and global certifications including ATEX, CE, BIS and SGS standards.
The unveiling underscores the growing private sector response to government reforms encouraging gas adoption as a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative fuel.
With the compressor packages now available for immediate orders, Chanrai Nigeria said it would provide 24/7 after-sales support, operations and maintenance services, as well as remote asset monitoring solutions.
The development signals intensifying investment in CNG infrastructure as Nigeria seeks to deepen local gas utilisation, reduce fuel import dependence and cushion consumers from volatile petrol prices.
-
Education2 days agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News1 day agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
News2 days agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
metro15 hours agoUS Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Boko Haram, ISIL, Cybercrime Links
-
metro2 days agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro15 hours agoTerror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road


