How ‘pastor’ brutalises woman, 90, Imam in Edo community - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

How ‘pastor’ brutalises woman, 90, Imam in Edo community

Published

on

How ‘pastor’ brutalises woman, 90, Imam in Edo community

Tempers have flared up in a riverine community, Ofukpo-Ekperi, in the Estako Central LGA of Edo State following a viral video of a man brutalising a woman in her 90s, Adishetu Atairu, and an elderly man, said to be the imam of the community, Musa Shaibu, and six others.

The video footage on WhatsApp and Facebook shows a crowd at night led by a man simply identified as Pastor Sharp-Sharp.

In one of the clips, the elderly woman with a walking stick was dragged to the middle of the crowd while a young man was yelling at her to sit down.

When she sat down on a chair, Pastor Sharp-Sharp was heard saying she should sit on the floor, even as another young man then kicked her legs, forcing her to fall to the ground.

In another clip, a man identified as the chief imam of the community is seen sitting on the bare ground while a young man removed his cap.

In another clip, a woman wearing a hijab was brought forward, and Pastor Sharp-Sharp was heard saying, ‘You killed Eshe and killed the wife’, and the woman said that she had something to say, but Pastor Sharp-Sharp cut her short, saying, “Not now, take her away”.

In another clip, another woman wearing a small hijab was also brought in and the pastor accused her that they were the two and then asked her to leave.

The crowd in the video was heard commending the pastor after humiliating his victims during the unfortunate incident.

READ ALSO:

A resident of the community, Abu Buhari, told the Daily Trust in an interview that on July 5, his stepmother, Adishetu Atairu, and others were dehumanised and assaulted by Pastor Sharp-Sharp and his accomplices.

He said, like his stepmom, the community chief imam and other residents were also abducted by Pastor Sharp-Sharp in the middle of the night, using gun-wielding thugs. The victims were physically assaulted and made to confess to crimes they knew nothing about.

“On the faithful day, residents of my community went to bed as usual, only to be woken up by strange, gun-wielding men. The victims were dragged before a waiting crowd and accused of witchcraft. My stepmother was brutalised, humiliated and traumatised,” he said.

“The information I got was that the community youths who are vigilantes initiated a move to offer prayer for the community to progress. But the community members were not in support because of the gangsterism they employed in achieving it.

“They went ahead to contact one Pastor Sharp-Sharp whom, I learned, charged them fees. The youths said the pastor had been performing miracles in some areas. So against the wish of the community, they went and brought the so-called pastor and started unleashing terror on the people.

“The pastor organised a crusade in the midnight and perpetrated terror on those they claimed were witches and wizards.

“According to the information that was available to me, the youths wrote the names of the people they claimed were witches and wizards and handed them to the pastor, who in turn started calling their names out during his crusade.

“When the pastor called names of the people, the youths would go to the person’s house in the dead of night and forcefully bring them to the venue of the event and then proceed to assault and dehumanise them.

“Like in the case of my stepmother, they stormed our house, abducted her despite the injury she sustained on her leg and brought her to the pastor. They gave her a chair but the pastor commanded that she must sit on the floor, which she refused to do, saying she committed no offence.

“In order to force her to obey their so-called overseer, one of his boys tackled her and she fell down. That same treatment was meted on our chief imam and about seven other persons in the village.

“Because of beating and dehumanisation, some people ran away that night. And because of fear of the same treatment meted out to the victims, others started saying all sort of things they know nothing about.”

READ ALSO:

According to Buhari, after the dehumanisation, the pastor forced them to pay sundry amounts ranging from N10, 000 and above for chaplain and some miracle medicines.

He said they reported the incident to the police, who asked them to submit a petition on the incident, detailing what happened.

He said after the petition was submitted, the pastor was arrested by the Police Area Command Office in Agenebode, Etsako East LGA on Wednesday, July 17.

“Ofukpo is a riverine community and in the rainy season, the people are cut off from the Ekperi community due to lack of access road,” he also said.

He called on the police and other relevant government agencies to intervene and bring the perpetrators to justice to avert communal and religious crises in the state.

Buhari said his stepmom and other victims are still in pain as a result of the beating and dehumanisation they suffered.

The spokesman of the Edo State Police Command, SP Chidi Nwabuzor, who confirmed the incident, said, “Yes, the incident is confirmed, the police are aware of it.

“The pastor and one other person have been arrested and they are in police custody. The suspects have been charged to court.”

Reacting to the incident, the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria’s Amir (president) in Edo State, condemned the attack and called on the state government and security agencies to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Also reacting, Afemai Islamic Movement’s (AIM) Amir, Sheikh Ismaeel Danesi, called for justice for the people of Ofikpo community.

“Our people are peaceful. No one has the right to assault anyone, let alone old people who are innocent. Our culture forbids it, just as our religion is against it.”

On its part, the Edo Muslims for Equity and Good Governance, (EMEGG) commended the Nigeria Police and other security operatives for wading into the matter before it escalated.

The group’s coordinator, Sirajudeen Muhammad, assured Muslims in the state that justice for those humiliated will not be compromised.

He said religion is to save and not to harm, adding that the group will follow the case to its logical conclusion.

“The pastor and two others have been charged to court, we were at the court today and we will always be present at the court. The case has been adjourned to August 7, for hearing.”

– Trust

How ‘pastor’ brutalises woman, 90, Imam in Edo community

metro

Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack

Published

on

Armed Bandits

Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack

At least 30 people have been killed and several others abducted following a late-night attack by armed bandits on Dutsin Dan Ajiya village in Anka Local Government Area, Zamfara State. The assault occurred on Thursday, February 19, 2026, when gunmen on motorcycles surrounded the community, blocked all exits, and opened fire on residents, witnesses said.

Eyewitnesses reported that the attackers stormed homes, shot indiscriminately, and kidnapped villagers, leaving many unaccounted for. Bodies were reportedly recovered early Friday morning, while several abducted residents were taken into nearby forests, according to local sources.

READ ALSO:

The attack comes just two days after the Zamfara State Government unveiled new security hardware, including drones and armoured vehicles, as part of ongoing efforts to combat banditry and rural violence. Despite these measures, the fresh raid highlights the persistent insecurity in Zamfara State, where bandit attacks, kidnappings, and property destruction have become recurring threats.

This incident follows a similar deadly raid in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi State, where at least 33 people were reportedly killed, underscoring the escalating insecurity across northwest Nigeria.

Attempts to obtain an official statement from the Zamfara State Police Command were unsuccessful as of press time. Security experts and residents are calling for urgent government and military intervention to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further bloodshed.

The latest attack is a grim reminder of the challenges facing rural communities in northwest Nigeria, where armed bandits continue to operate with impunity, threatening public safety, livelihoods, and social stability.

Armed Bandits Kill 30, Kidnap Villagers in Zamfara Attack

Continue Reading

metro

Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder

Published

on

Ondo State Governor, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa
Ondo State Governor, Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa

Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder

President Bola Tinubu has summoned Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa to Abuja following deadly violence during the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congresses in Ondo State, which reportedly claimed four lives in Idanre and Akure North local government areas.

The President was said to be deeply disturbed by the killings, which occurred during what was expected to be a routine APC ward congress, especially in a state firmly controlled by the ruling party.

A senior government source in Akure disclosed that Governor Aiyedatiwa travelled to Abuja on Thursday after receiving the summons, following a series of security reports submitted to the Presidency detailing the violence that erupted during the APC congresses in Ondo State.

According to the source, the governor had earlier lined up activities to mark his one-year anniversary in office, but was forced to scale down the programme due to the presidential invitation.

The governor reportedly left Akure shortly after inaugurating the Igoba and Alagbaka Extension roads, without waiting for the commissioning of the 100,000-litre water supply project at the Federal University of Technology Akure Teaching Hospital (FUTATH) complex. His deputy, Dr. Olayide Adelami, represented him at other anniversary events.

READ ALSO:

The source revealed that the summons was issued late Wednesday night, following the President’s review of multiple intelligence briefings.

President Tinubu is said to be very angry over the Ondo killings and wants a clear explanation of what went wrong, particularly as the violence occurred within the APC, where there is no strong opposition,” the source said.

While it could not be independently confirmed if the governor met with the President, Aiyedatiwa was said to have returned to Akure later on Thursday, having been in Abuja ahead of a meeting expected on Friday.


Security Tension Deepens as Traditional Ruler Is Killed

Meanwhile, the security crisis in Ondo State worsened following the killing of the traditional ruler of Agamo Town, Oba Kehinde Jacob Faledun, who was murdered by suspected gunmen inside his palace on February 18, 2026, at about 7:10 p.m.

The killing triggered widespread fear and condemnation, prompting a swift response from security agencies.

The Ondo State Commissioner of Police, Adebowale Lawal, led a high-powered security delegation—including the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), and the Department of State Services (DSS)—to the community.

Lawal assured residents that the police and military would track down the killers, stressing that justice would be served.

Preliminary investigations revealed that about six masked gunmen allegedly stormed the monarch’s residence, forcibly abducted him, and attacked him violently, leading to his death.

The Commissioner confirmed the deployment of additional security personnel, including tactical teams and operational assets, to Agamo and neighbouring communities, urging residents to provide credible intelligence to aid investigations.

He reassured the people of Ondo State that security agencies would continue to work together to restore peace, maintain stability, and protect lives and property.

Tinubu Summons Aiyedatiwa Over APC Congress Violence, Monarch’s Murder

Continue Reading

metro

FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities

Published

on

Supreme Court

FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities

The Supreme Court of Nigeria and the Court of Appeal Nigeria on Friday continued judicial activities despite a public holiday declared by FCT Minister Nyesom Wike ahead of the FCT Area Council elections in Abuja.

At the apex court, Justices heard cases earlier fixed for hearing, while panels of the Court of Appeal delivered rulings and judgments in several matters, including commercial and contract disputes. Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) and other lawyers were present in court, underscoring the independence of the judiciary despite the declared holiday.

In contrast, judicial activities at lower courts in the FCT were largely paralysed. The FCT High Court fully complied with the public holiday directive and shut down operations. Meanwhile, courtrooms at the Federal High Court near the Ministry of Justice headquarters were opened, but no judges sat, leaving matters unattended.

READ ALSO:

Wike had earlier declared Friday a work-free day in the Federal Capital Territory to allow residents participate in the Area Council elections scheduled for Saturday. The declaration was accompanied by a restriction of movement, which authorities said was aimed at ensuring security and orderly conduct of the polls.

However, the decision triggered strong criticism from civil society organisations, who described it as arbitrary, disruptive and lacking legal precedent. The Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre (PLAC) said no clear legal or administrative justification was provided for what it termed a sweeping shutdown of Abuja.

In a statement signed by PLAC Executive Director Clement Nwankwo, the organisation acknowledged that encouraging voter participation is legitimate but stressed that governance actions must remain lawful, proportionate and consultative.

PLAC added that the sudden public holiday disrupted businesses, schools and workplaces across the FCT, affecting students, workers and entrepreneurs, and creating what it described as avoidable anxiety rather than confidence in the electoral process.

The development has renewed debate over the limits of executive authority, the autonomy of the judiciary, and the need for transparent decision-making during elections in Nigeria.

FCT Polls: S’Court, A’Court Defy Wike’s Public Holiday, Continue Judicial Activities

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending