Bandit leader Bello Turji threatens reprisals over arrest of close associate - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Bandit leader Bello Turji threatens reprisals over arrest of close associate

Published

on

Notorious bandit leader, Bello Turji
Notorious bandit leader, Bello Turji

Bandit leader Bello Turji threatens reprisals over arrest of close associate

Notorious terrorism leader Bello Turji has issued threats to residents of surrounding communities following the recent arrests of suspects by the Nigerian military.

In a video released on Christmas Day, Turji claimed that the individuals apprehended were not bandits but “innocent” elderly members of his ancestral community.

The Nigerian military had earlier announced the capture of several of Turji’s associates during an operation. Major General Buba Edward, the Director of Media Operations at Defence Headquarters, disclosed on December 20 that those arrested included Bako Wurgi, Hamisu Sale (aka Master), and Abubakar Muhammad.

According to the military, Wurgi is suspected of being involved in the murder of a Sokoto monarch, among other heinous crimes.

Turji’s threats have raised concerns about potential reprisals against local communities, as security forces intensify efforts to dismantle his network.

“The arrested terrorist leader, Bako Wurgi, eventually succumbed to gunshot injuries sustained during the firefight. He, nevertheless, provided valuable intelligence to support troops’ operations before he died,” Mr Edward said.

READ ALSO:

But five days after the statement, Mr Turji, surrounded in the video by armed men brandishing sophisticated arms, said the military did not capture the three suspects in a battle, but arrested them in market places and in the hospital.

Mr Turji also blamed residents of the areas for providing information to the military that led to the arrests, vowing to punish the communities for their actions.

“The message is for the residents of Zamfara and Sokoto States, specifically, residents of Shinkafi, to release our brothers who are with them; otherwise, the year 2025 is going to be deadly for them with frequent kidnapping for ransom,” he said.

“Edward Buba, look at the elderly people you arrested. They are above 75 years old. And look at me. I am 35 years old, and you said those people you arrested are my accomplices. Edward Buba, be mindful of what you are telling people. If you cannot go to the battlefield, go inside your room and rest and stop lying to the people,” Mr Turji said.

He also challenged the military to display the guns it claimed soldiers seized from the bandits at battle. “Display them to the people if you fought the battle with us,” he said.

“Our brothers whom you arrested were picked up at the markets and others in the hospital. We never fought any battle with you. If you actually want to fight us, not our parents, you know where we are. Come, let us fight.

“We are calling on the residents of Shinkafi, Isa, Zurmi, and its environs in this coming year, 2025 if you don’t address those informants responsible for the killing of our brothers, you will face the consequences. You know we are killers, we know how to kill. You people see us as uncivilised; we also see you as such.

“Any town that fails to obey our directives, we are going to turn it into rubble,” Mr Turji said, pointing at some dilapidated buildings close to him.

Bandit leader Bello Turji threatens reprisals over arrest of close associate

(PremiumTimes)

metro

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Published

on

Mercy Johnson-Okojie
Mercy Johnson-Okojie

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has appointed popular Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson‑Okojie as Special Adviser on Public Engagement and Advocacy, in a move aimed at strengthening government–citizen communication across the state.

The appointment, announced on Thursday in a statement by the Secretary to the State Government, Musa Ikhilor, said the governor approved the nomination to enhance public engagement, improve awareness of government policies and programmes, and deepen grassroots participation in governance.

According to the statement, the Okpebholo administration believes Johnson-Okojie’s wide reach and influence will help bridge the communication gap between the Edo State Government and residents, particularly at the community level.

READ ALSO:

Johnson-Okojie is an accomplished Nigerian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, with nearly two decades in Nollywood and appearances in over 200 films, making her one of the industry’s most recognisable figures.

Beyond entertainment, she is the founder of the Mercy Johnson Okojie Foundation, through which she has championed women empowerment, child welfare, education support, and healthcare outreach initiatives across Nigeria—efforts the government says align with its people-centred governance agenda.

The statement added that the new adviser is expected to leverage her public influence and grassroots networks to promote policy awareness, encourage citizen feedback, and support advocacy initiatives of the state government.

Johnson-Okojie is married to Odianosen Okojie, who represents Esan North East/Esan South East Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.

Edo Governor Okpebholo Names Mercy Johnson-Okojie Special Adviser

Continue Reading

metro

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Published

on

Nigerian military troop
Nigerian military troop

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Dozens of people are feared dead following coordinated attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Local residents and security sources said the gunmen stormed multiple villages on Wednesday, firing indiscriminately at civilians and setting houses ablaze, triggering panic, displacement, and widespread destruction in the remote border district.

Preliminary security assessments indicate that at least 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, while two fatalities each were recorded in five other affected villages. Several residents were also reported injured, while others remain unaccounted for after fleeing into nearby bushes and neighbouring settlements.

READ ALSO:

Survivors described the assaults as highly coordinated, with the attackers arriving in groups, blocking escape routes, and targeting homes and gathering points before withdrawing. The attacks forced many families to abandon their homes as fires engulfed residential buildings and farmlands.

The latest violence has heightened concerns over worsening insecurity in Kebbi’s border communities, which have faced repeated attacks in recent months, often linked to armed groups exploiting porous borders and difficult terrain.

In response, security forces have been deployed to the affected areas, with joint teams carrying out search-and-tracking operations to prevent the assailants from escaping and to restore calm. Efforts are also underway to support survivors and displaced residents.

Confirming the incident, the Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, said the command was aware of the attacks and that investigations were ongoing, assuring that further updates would be provided as details are consolidated.

Authorities have urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with security agencies, while community leaders continue to call for a stronger and sustained security presence to prevent further attacks in the area.

Many Feared Dead as Suspected Lakurawa Militants Attack Kebbi Communities

Continue Reading

metro

Lagos Red Line: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

Published

on

Red Line Hiccup: LAMATA Apologises Over AC Failure, Orders 24 New Coaches to Boost Capacity

 

The Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has apologised to commuters after an air-conditioning malfunction disrupted services on the Oyingbo–Agbado Red Line corridor, leaving passengers stranded in uncomfortable conditions.

The disruption, which sparked complaints and viral social media videos showing overcrowded and overheated coaches, was traced to technical faults in the cooling system of one of the train sets. LAMATA acknowledged the inconvenience and said immediate steps were taken to rectify the issue.

In a statement signed by its Head of Corporate Communication, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, the agency said its technical and engineering teams had been deployed to diagnose and fix the root cause of the failure.

“Restoration works are ongoing, and efforts are being intensified to return the affected coaches to optimal operating condition as swiftly as possible. LAMATA remains firmly committed to delivering safe, efficient and world-class rail services,” Ojelabi said.

Beyond the immediate repairs, LAMATA announced plans to strengthen operations on the Red Line with the addition of 24 new coaches. The delivery, expected by the third quarter of 2026, will comprise three train sets of eight coaches each, aimed at improving capacity, reliability and passenger comfort along the busy corridor.

The agency assured residents that proactive measures are being taken to minimise future technical disruptions and enhance service quality across its rail network.

Meanwhile, the General Manager of the Lagos State Office for Disability Affairs (LASODA), Mrs Adenike Oyetunde-Lawal, commended LAMATA for its swift response and ongoing efforts to make public transport inclusive.

During a visit to LAMATA’s headquarters in Ojota, she lauded the accessibility features in the state’s buses and trains and proposed the creation of dedicated Disability Support Offices at major transport hubs to assist persons with disabilities.

According to her, such offices would serve as complaint and help desks, offering guidance and support to commuters who require assistance. She also pledged LASODA’s support in translating onboard information into sign language to enhance accessibility.

Responding, LAMATA Managing Director, Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to ensuring safe and satisfactory travel for all commuters.

She noted that the Blue Line rail system is fully accessible to persons with disabilities and urged affected passengers to report any incidents of abuse or discrimination to uniformed officials.

As repairs continue on the affected Red Line coaches, LAMATA says passenger comfort and safety remain central to its operations.

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending