Prince Harry has come a long way in educating himself about race since his youthful days, when he used an offensive slur against a fellow army cadet from Pakistan and dressed up as a Nazi soldier at a party.
In an explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey, Queen Elizabeth II’s grandson explained that his mixed-race wife Meghan had helped him on his journey of awareness, and he wanted his family, the media and Britain at large to educate themselves too.
“I’ve spent many years doing the work and doing my own learning,” the 36-year-old said, noting his privileged background meant “I wasn’t aware of” racial issues on the whole.
“But my God, it doesn’t take very long to suddenly become aware of it,” Harry said, reflecting years on from his early 20s, when the details emerged of the fancy-dress party and his calling the fellow cadet a “Paki”.
The interview has certainly sparked new debate about race in Britain, but there is little common ground between white commentators and black voices following Harry’s assertion that racism was a “large part” of the reason why he and Meghan quit the UK for North America.
“America has a long and profoundly tragic history when it comes to racism. But they acknowledge it and they know it,” Lola Adesioye, a British commentator on race based in New York, told AFP. “I still feel that the UK has a sort of delusion about its racial standing, and the idea that racism is not a really a thing in the UK, ‘that’s an American problem’, and that the UK is much more integrated,” she said.
“So when you hear someone like Meghan Markle who’s clearly a modern woman talking about some of the racial issues that she confronted in the royal family… people asking about what colour will your son be, is something that is very hard for people in America to get their heads around.”
Buckingham Palace said the queen took the claims of racism “very seriously” and they would be addressed by the family privately, even if “some recollections may vary”.
Historian David Olusoga, author of the book “Black and British: A Forgotten History”, said the allegations should force a reckoning for both the royal family and the UK.
“Yet rather than use this moment to embark upon an honest national conversation about race and racism there will, I fear, be further demonisation of Meghan and Harry,” he wrote in The Guardian newspaper on Tuesday.
“Trapped in denial — about everyday racism, structural racism, slavery and empire — there are parts of British society that appear incapable not just of change but even of its necessary precursor: honest self-reflection.”
Journalist Piers Morgan — one figurehead of the anti-Meghan, “anti-woke” camp — stormed out of his own TV studio Tuesday as a black presenter dissected the racial tinge to the UK press coverage of Meghan before and after her 2018 wedding to Harry.
Morgan returned later for a painful interview with Meghan’s estranged father Thomas Markle, who said the couple’s claims that an unidentified royal wanted to know the likely skin tone of their unborn son were “bullshit”.
There is deep divide between those who believe Meghan’s remarks on race and self-harm, and others who view her as a publicity-seeking Hollywood export who by her own admission failed to learn anything about her future role before the wedding.
The debate is all the fiercer coming after nearly a year of Black Lives Matter protests sparked by the death of George Floyd as he was held by the US police.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson is refusing to get involved, other than to laud the queen’s “unifying role” for Britain and the 54-nation Commonwealth she heads, most of whose 2.4 billion people are not white.
But his government set out its stall in new policing legislation introduced Tuesday that would raise the maximum penalty for criminal damage of a memorial from three months to 10 years.
That followed the government’s stated intention to prosecute BLM protesters in Britain who last year toppled a statue of a 17th century slave merchant and defaced another of Winston Churchill. Politicians from Johnson’s ruling Conservative party have also railed against organisations such as the BBC and National Trust, which manages more than 500 stately homes, for seeking to educate the public more about Britain’s colonial and slaving past. – Press ‘not racist’ – Those supporting Meghan can produce many examples of double standards, including side-by-side comparisons of newspaper headlines on coverage of Meghan and her white sister-in-law Kate.
One notorious jibe came in 2016, soon after the couple started dating. “Harry’s girl is (almost) straight outta Compton,” the Daily Mail wrote of the Los Angeles native, describing her upbringing close to a district known for its gang violence.
Prince Harry told Winfrey that the UK press, especially tabloid newspapers, were “bigoted”. That sparked an angry denial from the Society of Editors, a guild of senior British newspaper journalists, some of whose members have faced lawsuits from the royal couple.
The UK media has a responsibility to hold people to account, it said.
“If sometimes the questions asked are awkward and embarrassing, then so be it, but the press is most certainly not racist.” That prompted bafflement on social media from many journalists, noting the bigotry they themselves had witnessed in newsrooms and the lack of racial diversity in the UK media as a whole.
Marcus Ryder, a professor in media diversity at Birmingham City University, said the editors’ claim was “utterly bizarre”.
“To say the press is not racist is like saying society is not racist,” he told AFP, adding: “The idea that race doesn’t play a part in (Meghan’s) coverage is naive.”
Toyin Abraham beats Funke Akindele, others as highest grossing actress for 2022
Actress Toyin Abraham has emerged the most paid Nigerian actress for the year 2022.
Beating Funke Akindele, Mercy Johnson, Mercy Aigbe, Iyabo Ojo, and other colleagues to the feat, Toyin Abraham proudly shared the information on her Instagram page hours ago.
According to the Nigerian Box Office yearbook released by Film One moments ago on Instagram, Toyin Abraham’s King of Thieves and Ijakumo, the movie earned her over N611 million thus becoming the highest-paid Nigerian actress for 2022.
Jubilating about the win, Toyin Abraham wrote “Verified Congratulations to #ijakumo team , Thanks to everyone who has seen IJAKUMO pls IJAKUMO is still showing in cinemas in Nigeria,USA and Uk . @lolade_okusanya I’m super proud of you,you performance is IJAKUMO is extremely nice,your first cinema movie and you became no 5
@kunleremiofficial woow my darling,thank you for making it easy to work with you and for giving your best on and offset, more to come kunle. @adebayotijani Egbon mi atata you are underrated and I’m happy people are beginning to see how good your are, welldone Egbon more box office smash. @stevesodiya baba m.
Thank you for everything,thanks for loving me,thanks for putting this project on your head,thanks for being a backbone,thank you uncle Steve Akanbi more box office for us to smash together. @toyin_abraham no 1 emi dada Awuru”
Kemi Filani recalls that in 2021, , Toyin Abraham’s the Ghost and the tout too, the prophetess and Aki and pawpaw movie earned her over N357million thus becoming the highest paid Nigerian actress for 2021.
Threesome: Lady begs Nedu for rich friend’s contact
An on-air personality, Nedu Wazobia, has said that following his controversial comments that he once walked in on his rich friend having sex with two female celebs at the same time, a lady reached out to him, pleading for the rich man’s contact.
He told Saturday Beats, “After the release of the podcast where I talked about one of my friends who gave a lady N3m before even sleeping with her, another lady sent me a message on social media, saying that she had school challenges. She asked me to introduce her to that same man, so she could also collect money from him.”
The chat, which Nedu forwarded to our correspondent, read in part, “After seeing the video, I decided to reach out to you, (to know) if you could link me up with your rich friend, so I could get enough money for my tuition fees.”
- CBN accuses banks of hoarding N4.5bn redesigned naira notes
- Gunmen attack UNIZIK students in hostels, rape many, steal valuables
- Tragedy as gunmen kill husband, wife, four children, behead others in fresh Benue attack
The broadcaster also maintained that women who thought they could only appear sexy when they exposed themselves were insecure. He said, “There is no one that can ever say I did anything immoral to get a job. I have got all the jobs I did because I was qualified for then. Women who feel that they are only sexy when they reveal body parts are insecure, and they have nothing to offer other than their bodies. If your primary aim is to be sexy, the only people that will come to you are those that want to have sex with you and leave.
“Nobody keeps a woman that is for the public. Those who have something to offer are always decent. But, that is not to say that those who cover up themselves don’t engage in immoral activities too.”
Revealing the lowest amount he had ever been paid as a master of ceremonies, Nedu said, “For my first MC job around 2010/2011, I was paid N30,000. It was an Igbo wedding, and they really stressed me a lot.”
I don’t have cancer, Mercy Johnson debunks rumours
Veteran Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson has debunked rumours of having cancer, expressing gratitude to fans for their calls and prayers over the worrisome news.
The renowned actress, who took to her Instagram page on Sunday in a video clip to clarify the rumours of her having cancer, said she only spoke of having cancer scare, which doctors felt was something serious.
According to her, she is doing well and does not have cancer but she was only misunderstood with her explanation in her first video clip on ‘Mercy’s Menu’.
She stressed that she only had problems with her thyroid but perfectly okay and does not have cancer.
“Hi guys, Okay, so first and foremost, thank you so much for all of you who have been calling and sending messages and prayers, thank you. I do appreciate it so much.
- Soludo dismantles Peter Obi’s billboards in Anambra
- Gunmen riding on motorcycles attack church in Katsina, abduct 25 worshipers
- ASUU: FG may pay CONUA members salary arrears, demands details
” But, I do not have cancer. I noticed that a clip from my TV show, Mercy’s menu, has been flying around and I think they cut the clip.
“I said I had a cancer scare, it means that I had this swelling on my neck and my doctors felt it was something serious. I had problems with my thyroid, I am perfectly okay.
“Thank you so much for all of your calls and your messages, the phone has been buzzing like crazy, I am perfectly fine and I do not have cancer.
” I am perfectly okay. So thank you so much for checking up on me, thank you for sending those messages.
“Go back and watch the clip, it was completely misunderstood, I am fine, I do not have cancer in Jesus name, thank you guys so much,” she wrote .
Johnson is a Nigerian actress, politician and entrepreneur, who is good at what she does.
The 38-years-old actress made her debut in the Nollywood industry in 2003, when she featured in a movie titled ‘The Maid’ which brought her to limelight.
The mother of four has starred in over 200 movies which includes: ‘Dumebi the Dirty Girl’ ‘Corporate Maid’, ‘Desperate Ladies’, ‘Heart of a fighter’ among others.
She has received numerous awards and nominations, due to the ways she usually played her roles on movies.
The actress has contributed immensely to the growth and development of the entertainment industry, as such making her outstanding.
She is married to Prince Odianosen Okojie and her union is blessed with four kids.
$1bn investment recorded in auto industry – Minister
Nigeria ranks 150 out of 180 countries in 2022 Transparency International Corruption Index
Face-off between Niger Gov, Senator disrupts pro-Tinubu rally in Borgu
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
Osun state gov, Ademola Adeleke, thrills guests as he dances to Buga amid removal saga (Video)
Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner Georgina Rodriguez buys him a Rolls Royce for Christmas (video)
Drama as angry bride refuses to marry groom during church wedding [Video]
International2 days ago
Russian/Ukraine war: Vladimir Putin sends 100 strippers to front line to boost morale of Russian soldiers
metro2 days ago
Updated: Eight confirmed dead as container falls on passenger bus in Lagos + photos
Opinion7 days ago
IGP tenure: Police affairs minister goofed, says rights group
metro6 days ago
Unknown Gunmen kill APC Chairman in Imo, Kidnap 5 Chieftains
metro4 days ago
Updated: Kaduna-Abuja train derails close to Kubwa station
metro4 days ago
Woman bites off another’s breast in bloody fuel queue fight in Delta
Politics7 days ago
APC expels Buhari’s ex-aide, Ita Enang, over anti-party activities
Auto3 days ago
Lanre Shittu assembles new pickup, plans vehicles to carry its nameplate