metro
Anti-Jumat Order: MURIC demands apology from Polaris Bank
Islamic rights organization, the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), has kicked against alleged instruction by a Polaris Bank senior official stopping a Muslim staff from attending Jumat prayer.
Following this, the group has demanded an aunreserved apology from the bank management within seven days, failing which Muslim customers may start boycotting it.
MURIC’s demand is contained in a press statement circulated among journalists Friday, by its director, Professor Ishaq Akintola.
The statement reads in part: “A senior official of Polaris Bank, Damilola Adebara, last week addressed a mail to Muslim staff of the bank in which she instructed them that they should not attend Jumu‘ah service. It is instructive to add that she added a threat ‘any infraction of this directive would be dealt with accordingly’. She did this through an email sent on Tuesday, 11th October, 2022 at exactly 12.10 pm.
“MURIC strongly condemns this strong-arm tactic aimed at Christianising the bank’s policies and de-Islamising Muslim staff of Polaris Bank. It is unethical, unprofessional and intolerant.
“Besides, it is illegal, illegitimate, unlawful and unconstitutional for any employer or his or her agents to impose measures, take actions or introduce policies capable of undermining Allah-given fundamental human rights of any citizen of Nigeria no matter his or her faith or ethnicity.

Professor Ishaq Akintola
“Damilola Adebara’s mail is a flagrant contravention of Section 38 (i)&ii) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which says, ‘Every person shall be entitled to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, including freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom (either alone or in community with others, and in public or in private) to manifest and propagate his religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and observance’
“The leaked mail was greeted with outrage, bewilderment and nausea among Nigerian Muslims. Unfortunately the bank’s response to the concern of Muslims was not good enough. It was mild, vague, escapist and deceitful. Polaris Bank had said, ‘The said staff had acted in ignorance and we have since addressed the issue internally’.
“This is a very poor response. It lacked human face, human sympathy, colour and concern. It did not show that the bank has control over its erring staff. The bank responded as if Damilola Adebara is a sacred cow and an untouchable demigod.
“The bank had already found an excuse for a woman who made millions of Nigerian Muslims lose appetite overnight and sent them to the abyss of psychological trauma through her uncouth behaviour, intolerance and exhibition of tramadolised religiousity.
“We wonder why the bank is now the one telling us that the ‘said staff had acted in ignorance’. What ‘ignorance’? Is Polaris Bank aware that it has indicted itself by blaming it all on ‘ignorance’? Who should take the blame if your employee is an ignoramus? Did you train her at all? What happened to post-employment training and retraining?
“What exactly did the bank management do apart from finding excuse for her? What disciplinary measure has the bank taken? Or is it over just like that? This is how matters are swept under the carpet in Nigeria. What of the Muslim staff barred from attending Jumu‘ah mosque last week by ‘Her Majesty’, Damilola Adebara, the ‘Alpha’ and ‘Omega’, the one whose word is law in Polaris Bank?
“How does she and the bank assuage the unprovoked assault on their spiritual wellbeing? How does the bank mitigate the fear of Nigerian Muslims that they and their brethren cannot expect fair play, justice and equity in the hands of Polaris Bank?
“All that the bank has told Nigerians is that ‘we have since addressed the issue internally’. How? When? What was done to address the issue? What was done to instil discipline? What was done to ensure that no Muslim staff is so harassed in future? This is no longer a private matter. It is between Polaris Bank and the Nigerian Muslim Community. We demand transparency. Injury to one is injury to all.
“We are fully aware that this has also been happening in other banks and we have started collating reports around the country. We advise banks to review their policies towards their Muslim staff particularly on this sensitive Friday Question.
“Why is it so difficult for any bank to give its Muslim staff just two hours to go to the mosque on Friday when Christian staff have the whole day on Sunday to satisfy their spiritual yearning? Here comes the Friday Question once again. This issue will remain knotty until Friday is officially declared a work-free day. But in the meantime, we must take such measures capable of sending a strong message to Nigerian banks.
“First and foremost, we demand apology from Polaris Bank. Nigerian Muslims deserve that courtesy, that respect. That apology should be tendered within seven days from today, Friday, 14th October, 2022 failing which Muslim customers may start boycotting the bank. Nigerian Muslims deserve dignified treatment as homo sapiens compos mentis.
Secondly, the first offender, Damilola Adebara, must go on a few days’ suspension. There must be consequences for unprofessional behaviour. On her return from suspension, she must withdraw the memo sent to all Muslim staff. She must also send copies of the withdrawal mail to her Christian staff and Polaris Bank management exactly as she copied them the offensive email ab initio.
“Polaris Bank should not try to test our will. Whoever thinks Nigerian Muslims cannot mobilise themselves for unified action nationwide is living in delusion. This is the age of resistance against all forms of religious apartheid targeted at Nigerian Muslims. Without firing a single shot, we are determined to teach our traducers lessons in religious tolerance and peaceful coexistence using peaceful and civil liberty gimmicks”
Eagle
![]()
metro
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on Osun State Government bank accounts after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directed the agency to vacate the order.
The affected accounts, held with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational, according to confirmations from both the Presidency and an aide to Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
A Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed, saying the EFCC could not disregard the President’s directive.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Governor Adeleke, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the Post No Debit (PND) restriction had been vacated and that the state government’s accounts were functioning again.
The EFCC had imposed the restriction on August 5, 2026, as part of an investigation into the alleged fraudulent handling of about N11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).
The commission said the investigation had been ongoing since March 2026 and was aimed at preventing the alleged diversion of public funds.
The decision to restrict the accounts, however, generated significant controversy because it came shortly before the August 15 Osun State governorship election.
READ ALSO:
- IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
- Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
- N3.14 Trillion Spent on Electricity Subsidy in 31 Months – FG
The timing prompted allegations from the Osun State Government and its supporters that the EFCC action was politically motivated and intended to weaken Adeleke ahead of the election. The commission rejected the allegations and maintained that its action was connected to an ongoing financial investigation.
The dispute escalated after the President intervened and directed the EFCC to take steps to vacate the restriction.
Tinubu expressed concern about the timing of the action and its potential implications for public confidence in the electoral process, while also maintaining that anti-corruption agencies should carry out their responsibilities professionally.
The account restriction had also triggered a legal battle between the Osun State Government and the EFCC.
The state government approached the Federal High Court in Abuja to challenge the restriction and sought N2 billion in damages, arguing that the EFCC’s action unlawfully interfered with the state’s access to its funds.
The legal dispute changed following Tinubu’s intervention and the subsequent lifting of the restriction.
After being declared winner of the governorship election, Adeleke directed the Osun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the suit against the EFCC.
Adeleke said the President’s intervention had addressed the immediate dispute and that there was therefore no need to continue with the case.
With the accounts now operational, the immediate confrontation between the Osun State Government and the EFCC appears to have eased.
However, the lifting of the account restriction does not necessarily mean that the underlying investigation has been discontinued. The EFCC’s earlier allegations concerning the handling of about N11 billion remain separate from the decision to restore access to the accounts.
The development has also renewed discussions about the relationship between anti-corruption agencies and elected governments, particularly when financial investigations take place close to major elections.
For the Osun State Government, the restoration of access to its accounts removes an immediate financial constraint and allows the state to continue accessing funds required for government operations.
For the EFCC, the development means the financial investigation, if still ongoing, would have to proceed through the appropriate legal and investigative channels without the earlier account restriction.
Tinubu’s order: EFCC lifts freeze on Osun government accounts
![]()
metro
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
IPOB Accuses UK of Hypocrisy Over Israel Stance, Demands Kanu’s Release Following UN Ruling
![]()
metro
Enugu ADC Chairman Found Dead Near Residence in Suspected Murder
-
metro2 days agoPalace Chaos: Police Say Cultists Targeted Davido, Not Gov Adeleke, in Deadly Osogbo Shooting
-
Auto3 days agoNew Mercedes-Benz Atego’s technology, performance raise benchmark in Nigeria’s truck business
-
Business3 days agoFuel subsidy: FG records N20.4tn extra resources, spends N30.6tn, says Oyedele
-
metro2 days agoPFIPC Scandal: Tinubu Orders Forensic Probe as ICPC Uncovers Multiple Fake Agencies
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Peter Obi lost his chance when he left ADC for NDC – Fayose
-
News2 days agoTinubu orders transfer of EFCC cash recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND
-
Politics2 days agoAtiku Dismisses Obasanjo’s Political Clout, Says Ex-President Has ‘No Electoral Value’
-
metro1 day agoHistory in Makkah: Nigerian Teen Wins Prestigious Qur’anic Contest, Breaks 46-Year Gender Barrier
