Sports
FIFA lifts Balogun’s ban, clears US striker for Belgium World Cup clash
FIFA lifts Balogun’s ban, clears US striker for Belgium World Cup clash
FIFA has suspended the one-match ban imposed on United States striker Folarin Balogun, clearing the in-form forward to feature in Monday’s 2026 FIFA World Cup Round of 16 clash against Belgium in a dramatic disciplinary decision that has sparked widespread debate.
The world football governing body announced on Sunday that the implementation of Balogun’s suspension had been deferred under Article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, allowing the striker to remain available for the crucial knockout fixture while placing him on a one-year probationary period. (Reuters)
In a statement, FIFA said:
“In line with Article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the implementation of the match suspension is suspended for a probationary period of one year.”
The governing body added that if Balogun commits another offence of a similar nature and seriousness during the probationary period, the suspended sanction will automatically be enforced in addition to any new disciplinary measures. (Reuters)
Balogun had been shown a straight red card during the United States’ 2-0 victory over Bosnia and Herzegovina after a VAR review concluded that he had stepped on the ankle of defender Tarik Muharemović. The dismissal carried an automatic one-match suspension, meaning the 25-year-old was initially expected to miss the high-stakes encounter against Belgium. (ABC News)
READ ALSO:
- Can a School Founded by a Public University Truly Be Called Private?
- NIPSS Attack: Troops Nab Suspects, Recover Stolen Army Rifle in Jos South Raid
- Haaland’s brace fires Norway past Brazil into first-ever World Cup quarterfinals
The incident generated significant controversy, with many analysts, former players and supporters arguing that the contact appeared accidental rather than intentional.
United States head coach Mauricio Pochettino was among those who questioned the decision.
“For me? Never a red card. There was never any intention to step on the player. It was a normal football action that happened by accident,” the Argentine coach said after the match.
Before FIFA’s intervention, officials had indicated that the automatic suspension attached to a straight red card could not be appealed under the tournament regulations. However, the Disciplinary Committee exercised its rarely used powers under Article 27 to suspend the implementation of the sanction rather than overturn the red card itself. (Reuters)
The decision makes Balogun immediately available for the United States as the co-hosts attempt to reach the World Cup quarterfinals for the first time since 2002. The former Arsenal academy graduate has been one of the standout performers of the tournament, scoring three goals and leading the American attack. (ABC News)
Reacting to the ruling, U.S. Soccer welcomed FIFA’s decision, saying the team’s attention had now shifted fully to the knockout clash.
“We accept the decision of the Disciplinary Committee and are pleased that Folarin Balogun is eligible to compete. Our full attention is focused on the Round of 16 match against Belgium, and we look forward to the continued support of our amazing fans.” (NBC Sports)
Speaking earlier about the red card, Balogun described the experience as “surreal” and explained why he chose not to react angrily despite believing the punishment was harsh.
“I never want to react out of anger and emotion. There are still lots of people we’re inspiring, little boys and girls who are watching, and we have to show them the right way to handle things, even when you think it’s unjust,” the striker said.
While the ruling has boosted the United States’ hopes, it has also drawn a strong reaction from the Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA), which said it was “astonished” by FIFA’s decision and is examining all available legal and regulatory options. The Belgian federation argued that automatic suspensions following red cards are clearly provided for under the FIFA Disciplinary Code and the 2026 World Cup Competition Regulations. (New York Post)
The controversy has reignited debate over FIFA’s use of Article 27, a provision that allows disciplinary sanctions to be suspended under exceptional circumstances. Similar discretion has been exercised only on rare occasions in international football, making Balogun’s case one of the most closely scrutinised disciplinary decisions of the tournament. (Reuters)
With Balogun now eligible, the United States receive a significant attacking boost ahead of their meeting with Belgium, as they seek to continue an impressive World Cup campaign and secure a place in the last eight.
FIFA lifts Balogun’s ban, clears US striker for Belgium World Cup clash
![]()
Sports
Inter Milan Agree £30m Deal for Liverpool’s Curtis Jones as English Colony Grows
Sports
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room
Georgina Rodríguez has revealed why she and football star Cristiano Ronaldo chose to marry in the living room of their home in Cascais, Portugal, instead of holding the lavish celebrity wedding many might have expected.
The couple tied the knot in an intimate civil ceremony on August 11, 2026, almost a decade after they first met at a Gucci store in Madrid, where Rodríguez was working as a sales assistant.
The private ceremony took place at their summer home in Cascais, near Lisbon, with their five children and four witnesses in attendance.
Speaking to Vogue, Rodríguez said her idea of a dream wedding had changed considerably as she grew older and built a family with Ronaldo.
She recalled that as a young girl, she had imagined an extravagant wedding complete with a magnificent castle, an elaborate carriage, a long gown and a diamond crown.
However, her priorities changed over the years. Rodríguez said she eventually realised that she wanted something much more personal and meaningful.
She explained that rather than celebrating with a large crowd, she wanted to share the occasion with Ronaldo and their children in the comfort of their own home.
According to Rodríguez, the couple already had access to luxury properties, cars, horses and other symbols of wealth. Because of that, she felt that another extravagant display would not be as meaningful as a private family moment.
READ ALSO:
- Nobody Should Invite My Husband Without Inviting Me — Jarvis Issues Stern Warning
- Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
The couple therefore chose their living room — the same space where they regularly eat breakfast, lunch and dinner — as the setting for their wedding vows.
For Rodríguez, the decision was also about creating a lasting memory for their children.
She said she wanted them to look back decades from now and remember that their parents exchanged their wedding vows at the same table where the family shared everyday meals and moments together.
The intimate nature of the ceremony did not mean that the couple overlooked the significance of their appearance.
Rodríguez wore a white silk Gucci outfit with satin shoes, while Ronaldo wore a light beige suit with custom loafers.
The involvement of Gucci also carried a special significance because the couple’s relationship began at the fashion house’s Madrid store in 2016.
Gucci creative director Demna Gvasalia described the opportunity to dress Rodríguez and Ronaldo for their wedding as particularly meaningful because of the connection between the brand and the beginning of their relationship.
The couple’s wedding was also documented by renowned photographer Juergen Teller, giving them a private record of the occasion.
Their celebration did not end with the civil ceremony. The couple later visited the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima for a religious blessing, according to reports.
Despite opting for a private wedding at home, Rodríguez confirmed that she and Ronaldo intend to hold a larger celebration in the future.
She said the planned event would allow their relatives and friends to celebrate their marriage with them.
Ronaldo and Rodríguez began their relationship in 2016 and subsequently built a family together. They became engaged on August 11, 2025, exactly one year before their wedding.
The couple have five children in their family, including Ronaldo’s eldest son Cristiano Jr., twins Eva and Mateo, and their daughters Alana and Bella. They also suffered the loss of their newborn son Ángel in 2022.
The decision to marry at home marked a notably private moment for one of football’s most famous couples.
Rather than making their wedding about luxury or celebrity attention, Rodríguez said the couple wanted the occasion to reflect their family life and create a memory that their children could carry with them for years to come.
Georgina Rodríguez reveals why she, Ronaldo married in their living room
![]()
Sports
WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
For decades, the trophy had remained agonizingly out of reach. Three finals. Three defeats. Zero goals scored. But on a balmy Sunday evening at the Moulay El Hassan Stadium in Rabat, Morocco, Cameroon’s Indomitable Lionesses finally rewrote their painful history, delivering a devastating first-half performance to defeat tournament debutants Malawi 3-0 and secure their first-ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) title.
The victory not only ended Cameroon’s long-running final jinx but also established the Central African nation as just the fourth country ever to win Africa’s premier women’s football competition, joining an elite list that includes record champions Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, and South Africa. More significantly, Cameroon became only the third African nation—after Nigeria and South Africa—to win both the men’s and women’s Africa Cup of Nations titles, cementing their place as a true powerhouse of African football.
From the opening whistle, Cameroon made their intentions clear. The Lionesses attacked with relentless intensity, and their pressure paid off spectacularly in the 20th minute. A well-worked move into the Malawi box created chaos among the Scorchers’ defenders, and Marie Manga rose highest to power a close-range header past the Malawi goalkeeper, sending the Cameroonian supporters into raptures. Just nine minutes later, in the 29th minute, the lead was doubled through a moment of individual brilliance. Naomi Eto, who had been a constant threat throughout the tournament, received the ball with her back to goal, turned sharply, and unleashed a stunning volley that flew into the corner of the net, leaving the Malawi defense completely helpless.
READ ALSO:
- Police to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
- NDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
- Iran’s Army Chief Offers $30,000 Reward for Capturing or Killing US Troops
The crowning blow arrived in first-half stoppage time, deep into the 45th minute. Eto turned provider this time, delivering a perfectly weighted cross that found Manga unmarked in the box. The striker made no mistake, calmly slotting home her second goal of the night to make it 3-0. It was a scoreline that effectively ended the contest before the interval and sent the Lionesses into the dressing room with an unassailable lead.
Malawi, playing in their first-ever WAFCON final, showed far more urgency and attacking intent after the restart. The Scorchers looked to their star sisters, Temwa Chawinga and Tabitha Chawinga, for inspiration, and the duo tried desperately to engineer a comeback. Temwa, who had already scored five goals in the tournament to win the Golden Boot, was closely marshaled by Cameroon’s disciplined defense, while Tabitha’s creative runs were repeatedly snuffed out by the Lionesses’ well-organized backline. Goalkeeper Michaely Bihina, who would later be awarded the Golden Glove for her outstanding performances throughout the competition, stood tall between the posts, making crucial saves whenever Malawi threatened. Statistical data from the match showed Cameroon registered 14 shots with 6 on target, while Malawi managed 9 shots with 3 on target. The Lionesses also had a slight edge in corners, winning 6 to Malawi’s 3, underscoring their attacking dominance.
When the final whistle finally blew, the scenes were one of pure jubilation. Cameroonian players collapsed to the turf in tears of joy, while substitutes and coaching staff raced onto the pitch to join the celebrations. For a team that had suffered heartbreaking final defeats in 2004, 2014, and 2016—all at the hands of Nigeria—this triumph represented the ultimate redemption. The victory was especially sweet given that Cameroon had initially failed to qualify for this expanded 16-team tournament before being added based on their world ranking, making their journey to the title even more remarkable.
The post-tournament individual awards further highlighted Cameroon’s dominance. Monique Ngock, who delivered commanding performances in midfield throughout the competition, was deservedly named Player of the Tournament, while Bihina’s heroics between the posts earned her the Golden Glove award. Malawi’s Temwa Chawinga, despite her team’s defeat, finished as the tournament’s top scorer with five goals, claiming the Golden Boot as a consolation for her remarkable individual campaign.
For Malawi, the tournament will forever be remembered as a historic breakthrough. The Scorchers, who entered the competition as the lowest-ranked team in the tournament at 153rd in the world, stunned defending champions Nigeria in the group stage before overcoming Ghana and Algeria in the knockout rounds to reach their maiden final. Their remarkable run also secured automatic qualification for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil, a monumental achievement for a team that was playing in their very first WAFCON. Despite the final defeat, the Scorchers returned home as heroes, having captured the hearts of football fans across Africa.
The 2026 WAFCON concluded with Cameroon’s historic triumph bringing the curtain down on a memorable tournament. Algeria claimed the bronze medal after defeating hosts Morocco in the third-place playoff, but the night unequivocally belonged to the Indomitable Lionesses. As the trophy was lifted high above Rabat, it marked not just the end of a long wait, but the beginning of a new era for Cameroonian and African women’s football.
WAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
![]()
-
metro2 days agoPalliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
-
Insurance1 day agoNAICOM revokes Universal Insurance licence over ₦15bn capital shortfall
-
Education2 days agoWAEC 2026 results: Schools raise alarm over alleged grading anomalies
-
metro2 days agoLagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Politics2 days ago‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
-
Entertainment2 days agoVeteran Nollywood Actor Ogogo Battles Stage-4 Cancer as Daughters Beg for Treatment
-
Politics2 days agoOsun guber: APC rejects Adeleke’s victory, begins audit of INEC results
-
metro2 days agoOver 50 Killed, Scores Injured as Gunmen Attack Mangu Communities in Plateau
