Sports
Arteta: I failed with Ozil
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta says he feels he has “failed” with midfielder Mesut Ozil after leaving him out of his 25-man Premier League squad.
The German, who had also been omitted from the Europa League squad, can now only play for Arsenal Under-23s until his deal expires in summer 2021.
The 32-year-old, who joined Arsenal for a then club record £42.4m in 2013, has not played for the club since 7 March.
“My conscience is very calm because I have been really fair,” said Arteta.
“What I can say from my side is that it is just a football decision. My level of communication with him has been really high and we know what to expect with each other.
“Obviously a player of that dimension, with the career he has had, everything that happens around him has a big impact. It has been the case for the last eight years; it is nothing new that is just happening now. A lot of things have happened over these eight years.
“My job is to get the best out of every player, to contribute to the team performance.
“Here I feel at the moment, today, that I have failed. I want the best possible for Mesut and for the team. And in some moments, I was able to get close to that, and at the moment, I have not been able to do it because I have to make the decision to leave him out of the squad.”
‘Loyalty is hard to come by nowadays’ – Ozil
Earlier, in a message to Arsenal fans, Ozil said, “Loyalty is hard to come by nowadays.”
“I’m really deeply disappointed by the fact that I have not been registered for the Premier League season for the time being,” Ozil wrote on social media.
He also said, “Upon signing my new contract in 2018, I pledged my loyalty and allegiance to the club that I love, Arsenal, and it saddens me that this has not been reciprocated.
“I’ve always tried to remain positive from week to week that there’s maybe a chance to get back in the squad soon again. That’s why I kept silent so far.”
Since joining from Real Madrid seven years ago, Ozil has scored 44 goals in 254 appearances in all competitions for the Gunners.
He fell out of favour under previous manager Unai Emery before returning to the side under interim boss Freddie Ljungberg.
After Arteta’s appointment in December 2019, Ozil started all 10 of Arsenal’s Premier League games immediately before the coronavirus pandemic forced a three-month suspension of the top-flight in March.
Earlier in October, he offered to pay the salary of Jerry Quy, the man who plays the role of club mascot Gunnersaurus, who was one of 55 redundancies at the club.
“Before the coronavirus break I was really happy with my development under our new coach Mikel Arteta – we’ve been on a positive way and I would say my performances were on a really good level,” Ozil added.
“But then things changed, again, and I was no longer allowed to play football for Arsenal. No matter what, I will keep fighting for my chance and not let my eighth season at Arsenal end like this.
“I can promise you that this hard decision won’t change anything in my mindset – I will continue to train as best as I can and wherever possible use my voice against inhumanity and for justice.”
Former Arsenal and England striker Ian Wright said he was “gutted” for Ozil.
“Football will never stop surprising me,” he said on Twitter.
“The fact that whatever has gone on couldn’t be resolved between the club and Mesut is sad. Sad for everyone involved and I can only send him strength for what will be a difficult few months knowing he won’t even have a chance to play.”
Sports
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract
Super Eagles coach Eric Chelle has reportedly presented a 19-point contract proposal to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as part of negotiations to extend his tenure with the national team. The proposal, formally submitted on January 22, 2026, includes a $130,000 monthly salary, provisions for his technical staff, and a wide range of operational and logistical demands aimed at enhancing his working conditions and technical autonomy.
Chelle, a Franco-Malian tactician, who signed a two-year deal with the NFF in January 2025, had previously been linked with European club opportunities, including Olympique de Marseille. The contract extension proposal follows Nigeria’s strong performance at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations, where Chelle guided the team to a third-place finish.
The proposed 19 conditions go beyond salary. They include the provision of a private SUV with a chauffeur and security, a secure residence with 24-hour electricity, a furnished office with internet access and projector for tactical analysis, and flight tickets for his wife and two children. Chelle also requests GPS tools, customized training equipment, and the authority to choose international friendly matches.
READ ALSO:
- Mexico‑Based Nigerian fraudster Gets 8 Years for $1.3M U.S. Tax Fraud
- Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
- Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
On the technical side, the proposal seeks full control over player selection and call-ups, authority to travel abroad to monitor Nigerian players, and attendance at local league matches to identify talent for the senior team and age-grade squads (U23, U20, U17). Chelle also asks for official contracts for his staff, on-time salary payments, inclusion of his personal assistant in the bonus and allowance structure, and monthly meetings with all national team coaches.
Reports indicate that the proposal reflects Chelle’s aim for greater professional autonomy, operational support, and long-term stability while building a competitive Super Eagles squad for upcoming international fixtures, including 2026 World Cup qualifiers. The NFF has yet to confirm whether it will accept or reject the terms, amid ongoing discussions over budgetary constraints and logistical feasibility.
The submission has sparked debate among football stakeholders, with analysts divided over whether the NFF can meet all the demands, balancing the need for continuity with Chelle against financial realities.
Eric Chelle Requests $130,000 Monthly, Lists 19 Conditions to Extend Super Eagles Contract
Sports
Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Ademola Lookman etched his name into UEFA Champions League history on Wednesday as Ademola Lookman scored for Atletico Madrid in a thrilling 3–3 draw against Club Brugge at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid.
Lookman, the Nigerian international winger, became the first Nigerian to score for Atletico Madrid in a UEFA Champions League group-stage match, highlighting his growing influence at the Spanish La Liga club. The goal came during a pulsating encounter that saw both sides trade leads in an end-to-end battle.
Atletico Madrid initially surged ahead through early strikes, but Club Brugge responded with quick counterattacks to equalize twice. Lookman’s historic goal temporarily put the hosts in front, only for Club Brugge to equalize late in the game, ensuring a dramatic 3–3 finish.
READ ALSO:
- Canada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
- South Korea Former President Park Geun-hye Jailed for Life Over Martial Law Attempt
- Hisbah Arrests Nine Muslims for Allegedly Breaking Ramadan Fast in Kano
The result keeps Atletico in contention for progression from Group D, but it also underscores the challenges facing Diego Simeone’s side in balancing domestic and European commitments. Lookman’s performance, however, has been widely praised by pundits, with analysts noting his pace, vision, and finishing ability as key assets for Atletico Madrid’s attack.
For Lookman, this goal adds to a growing reputation as a breakthrough Nigerian talent in Europe, joining the ranks of compatriots who have made their mark in top-tier European competitions. Fans and media alike celebrated his contribution, highlighting the significance of his milestone in both club and international football history.
Ademola Lookman, who previously played for clubs in the English Premier League, moved to Atletico Madrid in January 2026. Known for his speed, dribbling, and versatility on the wings, Lookman has steadily adapted to the Spanish game, making appearances in La Liga, Copa del Rey, and UEFA Champions League matches.
This Champions League goal marks a historic first for a Nigerian player at Atletico Madrid, reflecting the increasing presence of Nigerian talent in elite European competitions.
Ademola Lookman Scores Historic Goal as Atletico Madrid Draw 3–3 With Club Brugge
Sports
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
Arsenal surrendered a commanding two-goal advantage to settle for a damaging 2–2 draw against last-placed Wolverhampton Wanderers in a dramatic Premier League encounter at Molineux on Tuesday night.
The Gunners looked firmly in control early on, racing into a 2–0 lead and appearing set to claim all three points. However, a spirited second-half comeback from Wolves denied the title chasers victory and reignited questions over Arsenal’s consistency at a crucial stage of the season.
Arsenal struck first inside the opening minutes through Bukayo Saka, who capitalised on early pressure to put the visitors ahead. The lead was doubled shortly after the break when Piero Hincapié finished clinically following a set-piece situation, seemingly putting the game beyond the struggling hosts.
READ ALSO:
- Two Killed, Five Injured as Violence Erupts at APC Ward Congress in Ondo
- Carbon Monoxide Leak Kills 37 Miners in Plateau
- BREAKING: Tinubu Assents to 2026 Electoral Act, Sets Stage for 2027 Elections
But Wolves responded almost immediately. Hugo Bueno reduced the deficit with a long-range effort that shifted momentum and lifted the home crowd. Arsenal, who dominated possession for large spells, failed to regain control as defensive lapses and dropped intensity invited pressure.
Deep into stoppage time, substitute Tom Edozie completed the comeback, firing home a dramatic 94th-minute equaliser that sparked wild celebrations at Molineux. A late deflection off an Arsenal defender wrong-footed the goalkeeper, sealing a point that felt like a win for the league’s bottom side.
The result represents a significant setback for Arsenal’s title hopes, as dropping points against the Premier League’s last-placed team allowed rivals to close the gap at the top of the table. For Wolves, the draw offered a rare positive moment in a difficult campaign, underlining their resilience despite their position.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta cut a frustrated figure after the match, with the failure to protect a two-goal cushion once again proving costly in a high-stakes title race.
Arsenal Blow Two-Goal Lead as Bottom Club Wolves Hold Gunners to 2–2 Draw
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International3 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
Education16 hours agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro3 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
metro3 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Politics3 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64



You must be logged in to post a comment Login