Court freezes Ex-NNPC GMD accounts over fraud probe - Newstrends
Connect with us

metro

Court freezes Ex-NNPC GMD accounts over fraud probe

Published

on

Former Group Managing Director of NNPC, Mele Kyari

Court freezes Ex-NNPC GMD accounts over fraud probe

The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the temporary freezing of four Jaiz Bank accounts linked to the immediate-past Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), Mele Kyari, over alleged fraud.

The ruling was delivered on Tuesday by Justice Emeka Nwite, following an ex parte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) through its counsel, Ogechi Ujam.

The EFCC argued that the accounts needed to be frozen to allow investigators conclude ongoing probes into financial irregularities allegedly connected to Kyari.

“I have listened to the counsel for the applicant and gone through the affidavit evidence with the exhibits and written address attached. I found that this application is meritorious and it is hereby granted as prayed,” the judge held.

Justice Nwite then adjourned till Sept 23 for a report on the matter.

On August 11, 2025, the EFCC filed the motion ex parte before the court to seek an order freezing the bank accounts because the accounts are owned by Kyari, “who is currently being investigated in a case involving the offences of conspiracy, abuse of office and money laundering pending the conclusion of the investigation.”

In the affidavit attached to the ex parte, Amin Abdullahi, an EFCC investigator attached to the Special Investigation Unit, said the commission received and investigated a petition dated April 24 and filed by a group, the Guardian of Democracy and Rule of Law, against Kyari.

READ ALSO:

He said he was a member of the team assigned to investigate the petition.

“Upon receipt of the petition referred to in Paragraph 4 above, my team carried out several investigation activities which included seeking and obtaining bank records from commercial Banks,” he said.

He said the preliminary investigations found that two of the bank accounts carry the name of Mele Kyari, while the other two have the name of a non-governmental organisation, Guwori Community Development Foundation Flood Relief.

The accounts were listed as: “Jaiz Bank account number: 0017922724 with account name: Mele Kyari; Jaiz Bank account number: 0017922724 with account name: Mele Kyari; Jaiz Bank account number: 0018575055 and Jaiz Bank number: 0018575141 with both account names as Guwori Community Development Foundation Flood Relief.”

The anti-graft agency argued that the bank accounts in respect of which the reliefs are sought are subject matters of investigation by the Commission about misappropriation of funds and criminal breach of trust.

The anti-graft agency also said that the preliminary investigation conducted thus far revealed that the bank accounts are linked to Mr Kyari, who has been using them to receive suspicious inflows from NNPC and various oil companies that have dealings with NNPC.

“That bank records further revealed that these accounts are controlled and managed by Mr Kyari through his family members who are acting as fronts,” he said.

Abdullahi also said the investigation so far carried out revealed “that N661,464,601.50, which are suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities, were warehoused in four different accounts.

“These funds were traced to Mele Kolo Kyari, who is the former Group Managing Director (GMD) of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

“Further investigation revealed that the said transactions in the various accounts were disguised as payments for a purported book launch and activities of a non-governmental organisation (NGO).

“That the Commission has written to Jaiz Bank, where the accounts referred to are domiciled, for the hard copies of the comprehensive account details. While the response of the Bank is being awaited, the Commission has written to post a “no debit” instruction on the accounts, which will only last for 72 hours.

“That I was informed by M.A. Babatunde Esq., learned counsel to the Applicant during official briefing at EFCC Headquarters, and I verily believe him that an order of this honourable court is necessary to freeze the said accounts clearly described in schedule 1 to the motion paper, while investigation is ongoing.

It also said, “That there is a need to preserve the funds in the identified bank accounts pending the conclusion of the investigation and possible prosecution”.

“That it is in the interest of justice to grant this application”.

Court freezes Ex-NNPC GMD accounts over fraud probe

Loading

metro

Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations

Published

on

Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations
Nigerian military troop

Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations

Troops of the Nigerian Army have arrested four suspected terrorists and collaborators during separate intelligence-led security operations carried out in Kogi and Kwara states as part of ongoing efforts to curb criminal activities and strengthen security across vulnerable communities in the North-Central region.

According to security sources, two suspects were arrested in Kogi State by troops of the 12 Brigade working in collaboration with local vigilantes during a fighting patrol operation in Ajaokuta Local Government Area.

The operation reportedly took place around 9:00 a.m. on May 19 along the Eganyi–Atabatam–Epiri–Ebatoto–Idebe axis following sustained surveillance and intelligence gathering targeting suspected criminal movements within the area.

During the coordinated patrol, troops apprehended the suspects and recovered one motorcycle, a machete and a mobile phone believed to be linked to their activities.

Security officials said the suspects and recovered items were immediately handed over to the Nigeria Police Force for further investigation and possible prosecution.

Military sources disclosed that the operation forms part of intensified clearance patrols being conducted around forest corridors and remote communities considered vulnerable to criminal infiltration and armed movements.

In a separate operation in Kwara State, troops of the 22 Brigade arrested two suspected collaborators linked to terrorist activities during an intelligence-driven mission in Edu Local Government Area.

The suspects were intercepted around 11:00 a.m. on May 18 by troops stationed at Patrol Base Zambufu following intelligence reports concerning the suspected movement of arms and weapons within the area.

READ ALSO:

During preliminary interrogation, the suspects allegedly claimed they were invited by police operatives to assist in locating a suspected terrorist hideout.

They also alleged that they witnessed individuals believed to be police officers transporting weapons to an undisclosed location.

Security authorities, however, stressed that the claims remain under active investigation and have not been independently verified.

The suspects are currently in military custody undergoing profiling and further interrogation as security agencies work to establish possible links to arms trafficking networks, terrorist logistics operations and other criminal syndicates operating within the region.

The Nigerian Army said the arrests were part of ongoing counterterrorism and anti-banditry operations aimed at dismantling criminal cells, disrupting arms supply routes and preventing the expansion of terrorist activities into North-Central states.

Kogi and Kwara states have increasingly faced security concerns in recent years due to the activities of kidnappers, armed gangs and suspected terrorist elements exploiting forested border communities connecting Niger, Kogi, Kwara and parts of the South-West.

Security analysts have repeatedly warned about attempts by armed groups to establish operational routes across the North-Central corridor due to its strategic geographic location.

Military authorities reiterated their commitment to sustaining intelligence-led offensives and urged residents to continue supporting security agencies with timely and credible information capable of aiding ongoing operations.

Army Arrests Four Suspected Terrorists, Collaborators in Kogi, Kwara Operations

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud

Published

on

Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud

Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud

The Kaduna Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has secured the conviction and sentencing of two former bank officials over separate financial fraud cases involving about ₦7.8 million.

The convicts, Obadofin Daniel Bamise and Hadiza Oyiza Yakubu, were sentenced to seven years imprisonment each by Justice A.A. Bello of the Kaduna State High Court sitting in Kaduna after they were found guilty on separate one-count charges bordering on fraud.

The EFCC disclosed this in a statement, noting that the convictions followed investigations and prosecution efforts by its Kaduna Zonal Directorate, which uncovered acts of banking fraud involving the handling and diversion of funds.

According to the anti-graft agency, the offences committed by the former bank employees involved fraudulent activities linked to their official duties in the financial institution, leading to losses estimated at about ₦7.8 million.

READ ALSO:

Although full details of the transactions were not publicly disclosed, the EFCC said the court was satisfied that the prosecution had established a strong case beyond reasonable doubt against the defendants.

The court subsequently convicted both defendants on separate counts and handed down seven-year prison sentences each.

Delivering judgment, Justice A.A. Bello held that the prosecution had successfully proven its case, leading to the conviction under applicable laws on financial crimes and fraud in Nigeria.

The ruling reinforces judicial support for the EFCC’s ongoing anti-corruption drive, particularly in cases involving abuse of office, breach of trust, and financial misconduct within banks.

The EFCC stated that the conviction is part of its wider efforts to tackle financial crimes in the banking sector, especially insider fraud involving diversion of customer funds and manipulation of internal banking systems.

The commission reiterated its commitment to ensuring accountability in financial institutions, warning that individuals involved in fraudulent activities will continue to face prosecution and stiff penalties.

The Kaduna conviction adds to a growing list of successful prosecutions secured by the EFCC across its zonal commands as part of its nationwide anti-corruption enforcement campaign.

Court Convicts Two Ex-Bank Staff Over ₦7.8m Financial Fraud

Loading

Continue Reading

metro

VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel

Published

on

VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel
Nobel Laureate Professor Wole Soyinka

VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel

  • Nobel Laureate used commercial motorcycle to beat traffic after Abeokuta festival

Viral claims that Nobel Laureate Professor Wole Soyinka rode a commercial motorcycle (okada) home from an event in Abeokuta because he could no longer afford to fuel his cars at N1,500 per litre have been dismissed as misleading by fact-checkers.

A video showing the 89-year-old literary icon leaving the Ake Palace area on a motorcycle, surrounded by commercial riders and guided by a TRACE official, circulated widely on social media in late April 2026.

The footage sparked outrage and sympathy, with many Nigerians expressing shock that a figure of Soyinka’s stature would be forced to use public transport due to economic hardship.

However, a fact-check investigation by the Nigerian Democratic Report found no credible evidence to support the fuel price claim. The video contains no audio or visual evidence of Soyinka himself stating that he used the okada because of petrol costs.

Sources close to the Nobel Laureate told our correspondent that Soyinka had attended the grand finale of the 39th annual Lisabi Festival at the Ake Palace, an event that drew heavy crowds and significant traffic congestion.

The festival, themed “Egbaliganza 2026,” took place from March 23 to March 28 and attracted prominent Egba sons and daughters, including former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former Ogun State governor Ibikunle Amosun.

According to the sources, Soyinka used the commercial motorcycle to navigate through the congested area for a short distance to where his driver and vehicle were stationed.

They described the okada ride as a practical solution to traffic gridlock rather than an indicator of financial distress.

“It is not uncommon for dignitaries at large events in Nigeria to use motorcycles to bypass traffic and reach their waiting vehicles,” one source familiar with the event’s logistics told our correspondent.

Further contradicting the viral narrative, Soyinka appeared publicly at a major event in Lagos just weeks after the okada video circulated.

READ ALSO:

On May 20, 2026, he chaired the launch of “The NADECO Story,” a book written by Chief Ayo Opadokun, at an event attended by President Bola Tinubu and other high-profile Nigerians.

He delivered remarks and was photographed in formal attire, showing no signs of the financial struggles claimed online.

The claim about fuel prices, while false as it pertains to Soyinka’s motivation, reflects a genuine economic reality in Nigeria.

Following the removal of fuel subsidies in 2023, petrol prices have risen sharply. The National Bureau of Statistics reported an average retail price of N1,051.47 in February 2026, though prices in some regions and black markets have reportedly reached as high as N1,500 per litre.

An X user, @CrownprinceCom2, was among those who amplified the misleading claim, posting that Soyinka left the Ake Centre on an okada because he was struggling to buy fuel.

The post gained significant traction before fact-checkers intervened.

Attempts to reach Soyinka’s media aide for comment were unsuccessful as of press time.

Human rights activist and lawyer Inibehe Effiong, commenting on the incident, said the swift spread of the false claim demonstrated how economic frustrations were driving the rapid amplification of unverified narratives involving public figures.

“The public’s anger over fuel prices is legitimate, but we must be careful not to project that anger onto situations that do not warrant it,” Effiong said in a telephone interview.

“Professor Soyinka remains a national icon, and false claims about his personal circumstances do not serve the public interest.”

The Nigerian Democratic Report concluded its investigation with a verdict of “misleading,” noting that while it is confirmed that Soyinka was seen riding an okada in Abeokuta, there is no evidence that he did so because he could not afford fuel at N1,500 per litre.

“The viral claim appears to have been a case of misattributed motivation, with social media users projecting broader economic frustrations onto a single image of a public figure using alternative transportation in a congested event setting,” the report stated.

The Nigeria Police Force has not commented on the matter, and no official statement has been issued by Soyinka’s office as of press time.

VIDEO: Fact-checkers knock down claim Soyinka rode okada over N1,500 fuel

Loading

Continue Reading

Trending