COVID-19 Third Wave: 85 die in 12 days – NCDC - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

COVID-19 Third Wave: 85 die in 12 days – NCDC

Published

on

Latest epidemiological report from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has revealed that in the last 12 days, 85 people have lost their lives to COVID-19.

Between August 16 and August 27, 2021, the number of deaths rose from 2,223 to 2,308, while new confirmed cases increased by 7,246, that is, from 183,087 to 190,333 cases. Also within the same period under review, 2,505 persons were discharged.

With the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping across states in the country, the NCDC has continued to encourage Nigerians to adhere to the Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) measures of regular hand washing with soap and flowing water or hand sanitising, proper wearing of face masks, avoiding large gatherings, and maintaining social distance.

Also, the Federal Government, through the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) has urged Nigerians to receive any brand of the COVID-19 vaccines available in-country in order to ensure that the country achieves herd immunity by next year. Also, the Executive Director of the NPHCDA, Dr. Faisal Shuaib, and the Country Representative of the World Health Organization (WHO), Dr. Walter Mulombo, continue to reiterate that the vaccines are effective against the COVID-19 variants, including the Delta variant.

Concerning what the agency is doing to protect Nigerians from the ravaging effect of the pandemic, the Director General of the NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, said: “As Nigeria continues to record an increasing number of COVID-19 cases, adequate testing is critical to identify cases quickly, prevent spread and accurately measure the burden of COVID-19. Testing allows health authorities to monitor disease trends, identify new clusters of cases and initiate contact tracing to prevent further spread of the disease.

“Although scientific evidence continues to evolve, we know that the more the virus spreads, the higher the risk of new variants emerging. The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) continues to coordinate testing activities, including support to increase testing across states.

“The NCDC has led the establishment of at least one molecular laboratory in each state of the federation and has continued to ensure continuous supply of laboratory commodities and reagents; support with setting up of sample collection sites; provision of guidelines; training of laboratory scientists and so on. These are efforts towards ensuring testing is more accessible to Nigerians.”

Meanwhile, Enugu State government says it has opened additional COVID-19 vaccination centres in major markets, shopping malls and public places.

These are additional to the more than 100 conventional vaccination centres previously opened in the state.

Dr George Ugwu, Executive Secretary, Enugu State Primary Health Care Development Agency (ENS-PHCDA) told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Saturday that the move was to make COVID-19 vaccination centres more accessible for residents.

Ugwu said that having more vaccination centres would help the state to achieve its target of getting every eligible resident vaccinated against the pandemic.

According to him, centres have been opened in major markets like Ogbette Market and Kenyatta Market in Enugu; at Shoprite and SPAR malls as well as other designated public places notwithstanding the 100 vaccination centres already available.

“Another thing we will do differently this time, which came as a result of challenges in the first phase, is that of increased advocacy and public sensitisation.

“We have planned to officially communicate and use various grassroots leaders, traditional, religious and opinion leaders, to press home the message of the need for the vaccination, its safety and efficacy.

“We are desirous to go to the hinterland and check all falsehoods and unfounded information militating against the people to freely get vaccinated, especially in the rural areas.

“Our teams will be visiting worship centres, community meetings and other public gatherings to sensitise our people on the need to receive their COVID-19 vaccination for the protection of all,’’ he said.

Advertisement

News

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

Published

on

NNPC Group Chief Executive Officer Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship
NNPC Group Chief Executive Officer Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Ltd.) has earned international acclaim as its Group Chief Executive Officer, Engr. Bashir Bayo Ojulari, has been conferred with the Fellowship of the Energy Institute (FEI), United Kingdom — one of the highest honours in the global energy industry.

The Fellowship recognises senior energy leaders who have demonstrated sustained, high-impact contributions to the advancement of the energy sector. It was formally conferred on Ojulari during International Energy Week (IEW) in London, a leading platform for energy policy, finance, and industry leadership. (punchng.com)

The honour was presented by Andy Brown, President of the Energy Institute, who praised Ojulari’s transformative leadership of NNPC Ltd., highlighting his role in strengthening governance, embedding a performance-driven culture, and repositioning the company for long-term value creation.

Under his stewardship, NNPC Ltd. has implemented investor-focused reforms, enhanced operational excellence, and expanded strategic global partnerships, all contributing to increased confidence in Nigeria’s energy sector. The recognition reinforces NNPC’s ongoing transformation into a commercially driven, globally competitive, and transparent energy company.

READ ALSO:

Significance for Nigeria and Africa

Experts note that the FEI Fellowship is not only a personal achievement for Ojulari but also a major institutional endorsement of NNPC Ltd.’s reform agenda. Being recognised at International Energy Week, which convenes policymakers, financiers, regulators, and industry leaders, positions the company at the centre of critical global energy discussions on sustainability, energy transition, and capital formation.

The award also signals growing international confidence in NNPC Ltd. and highlights Nigeria’s strategic role in Africa’s energy security and global energy transition ambitions. (vanguardngr.com)

Ojulari’s Leadership Achievements

Since assuming office, Engr. Ojulari has overseen multiple strategic reforms at NNPC Ltd., including:

  • Driving governance and operational reforms to boost accountability.
  • Expanding strategic partnerships and investor-focused initiatives.
  • Enhancing execution efficiency across the company’s subsidiaries.
  • Positioning NNPC Ltd. as a credible, investment-ready energy enterprise.

These efforts have not only improved the company’s profitability and performance but also strengthened Nigeria’s energy security and market competitiveness. (punchng.com)

Ojulari described the Fellowship as a reflection of collective effort within NNPC and reiterated his commitment to sustainable value creation, global best practices, and energy sector innovation.

NNPC CEO Ojulari Receives Prestigious Energy Institute Fellowship in London

Continue Reading

News

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

Published

on

CSO Situation Room

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

The Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room has raised concerns over multiple irregularities in the ongoing Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council Elections, citing late polling unit openings, reports of vote buying, and logistical challenges that could affect voter participation.

According to the Situation Room, a coalition of over 70 civil society organisations advocating for credible elections in Nigeria, many polling units opened late, with an average start time of 9:15 a.m., well after the official 8:30 a.m. schedule. Observers also noted low voter turnout in several areas, particularly in AMAC, although queues began forming later in Kuje, Kwali, Gwagwalada, and Abaji Area Councils.

Vote Buying Observed

The coalition reported instances of vote buying, with voters allegedly offered up to ₦10,000 in exchange for ballots in units such as PU008, PU056, PU057, and PU058 in Gidan Mangoro Ward, AMAC. While some of the transactions were open, others were conducted discreetly.

The Situation Room warned that such electoral malpractice undermines the integrity of the election and called on electoral officials, political parties, and security agencies to intervene and prevent further incidents.

READ ALSO:

Logistical and Accessibility Issues

Observers noted that some voters struggled to locate their polling units after last-minute changes communicated by INEC via text messages. The Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) generally performed efficiently, with a one-minute average accreditation time, though malfunctions were reported in a few units including Gwako Town Primary Schools II & IV and PU143, Gwagwalada.

The Situation Room also highlighted accessibility challenges for voters with disabilities, noting that braille ballot guides, magnifying glasses, and other assistive materials were largely absent, even in designated disability communities such as Karimajiji and PU052, Wuse.

Security and Election Conduct

Security personnel, including officers from the Nigeria Police, Civil Defence, Immigration Service, and Fire Service, were present in significant numbers and generally maintained order and professionalism.

Isolated incidents of intimidation and harassment were reported in locations such as Grade 1 Area Court, Rubochi (Kuje); Naharati Sabo School II, Rimba/Ebagi; and PU3, UNG Liman/UNGWAR LIMAN 1, Abaji Central, but security agents swiftly resolved these situations.

Call for Calm and Integrity

The Situation Room commended the INEC FCT Help Desk for promptly addressing reported issues and called on all stakeholders to maintain calm, resist vote buying, and ensure that the will of the people is respected as the polls continue and results are collated.

The report was jointly signed by Mma Odi and Celestine Odo, co-conveners of the coalition.

FCT Polls: CSO Situation Room Flags Late Voting, Vote Buying, Logistical Challenges

Continue Reading

News

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers

Published

on

U.S President Donald Trump
U.S President Donald Trump

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers

United States President, Donald Trump, has introduced a sweeping immigration proposal that could halt the issuance and renewal of work permits for asylum seekers for many years, marking what analysts describe as one of the most consequential shifts in U.S. asylum employment policy in decades.

The proposed rule, released on Friday by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), seeks to suspend new employment authorisation for asylum applicants until the average processing time for designated asylum cases falls to 180 days or fewer.

According to DHS data, the asylum case backlog now exceeds 1.4 million applications, with the department projecting that meeting the 180-day benchmark could take between 14 and 173 years under current conditions—effectively creating an indefinite suspension of asylum work permits.

Despite the bleak projections, DHS said administrative restructuring, staffing increases, and efficiency-focused reforms could eventually reduce processing delays. However, officials acknowledged that significant improvements would take time.

READ ALSO:

In a statement accompanying the proposal, DHS said the rule, if finalised, “would reduce incentives for frivolous, fraudulent, or otherwise meritless asylum claims.” The department stressed that work authorisation is not an entitlement, but a discretionary benefit granted by the DHS secretary.

If implemented, the policy would generally bar migrants who entered the United States unlawfully from receiving new work permits or renewing existing ones while their asylum claims remain pending.

Limited exemptions would apply only to individuals who alerted U.S. border officials within 48 hours of arrival that they feared persecution, torture, or faced another urgent humanitarian threat.

The proposal forms part of a broader immigration clampdown under President Trump, who returned to office in 2025 after campaigning on stricter border enforcement and tougher asylum standards.

Throughout his campaign and early months back in office, Trump portrayed immigrants and asylum seekers as economic and security burdens, claims that critics argue are not supported by crime or labour market data.

Immigrant advocacy groups, civil rights organisations, and some Democratic lawmakers have criticised the proposal, warning that denying work permits could push asylum seekers into poverty, increase dependence on charities, and drive people into undocumented employment.

Legal experts also expect significant court challenges, arguing that the rule could weaken long-standing U.S. and international asylum protections and undermine due-process guarantees.

The proposal will undergo a 60-day public comment period once it is formally published in the Federal Register on Monday. The regulatory process could extend for months or even years, with the final outcome uncertain amid anticipated legal battles.

Until then, existing regulations governing asylum seeker work permits in the United States remain in force.

Trump Moves to Indefinitely Suspend Work Permits for Asylum Seekers

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending