Connect with us

Business

Inadequate database threatens SIM-NIN registration, NIMC admits deficit

Published

on

Telecommunication consumers are lamenting the decision of the Federal Government to implement the National Identification Number-Subscriber Identity Module policy after the Nigeria Identity Management Commission disclosed that its infrastructure can accommodate only 100 million Nigerians.

The consumers under the aegis of the National Association of Telecoms Subscribers were reacting to comments by the Director-General of the National Identity Management Commission, Aliyu Aziz.

 According to the DG, the commission’s database is at 80 per cent of its capacity with over 80 million unique NINs issued.

He said this during an interview on the Frontiers Show on the Nigerian Television Authority over the weekend.

He added that the commission presently has the capacity to issue about three million NINs monthly but hopes to increase its capacity soon.

Aziz said, “We built it (the database) to cater for a 100 million. Right now, we are at eighty million. Also, we have the government’s approval to upgrade it. So, before we reach there, we must have upgraded to about 250 million.

READ ALSO:

“So, we don’t have issues with that. Most of the time, our major challenges are either power or the bandwidth of the connectivity that we have but not the infrastructure.”

According to him, the goal of the commission is to enroll every Nigerian, but it is lacking funding to implement upgrades.

He said that the NIMC got approval to upgrade its capacity in July 2021 but has yet to receive funding to the effect.

He added, “We are trying to upgrade the system. We have gotten the government’s approval since July last year. We are following up to get the funding. Funding is a challenge, but I don’t want to call it a challenge because it is a challenge for everyone.”

Aziz hinted that Nigerians might be compelled to pay for the enrolment process in the future.

According to President, NATCOMS, Adeolu Ogunbanjo, the decision of the Federal Government to implement the SIM-NIN policy despite NIMC’s lack of capacity is unjustifiable.

On April 4, 2022, the Federal Government asked telecom companies to bar over 72.77 million active telecom subscribers from the ability to make calls as a result of its SIM-NIN policy.

The government ordered that lines that had not linked their SIMS to their NINs must be barred from making calls. Ogunbanjo said, “We have always doubted NIMC’s capacity. This is a problem and that is what we have been saying that the capacity of the NIMC is obviously doubtful. They do not have the capacity to get all the details, or data of everyone.

READ ALSO:

“This brings us to the fact that implementation of the policy should be extended. The NIMC’s capacity is inadequate. Fortunately, the NIMC has now come to say look, their capacity is inadequate so by extension we are saying, the supervising minister should hear this. There is no need to punish people when the capacity is only 100 million.

 “This means even if every eligible Nigerian attempts to register, NIMC cannot accommodate them. NIMC cannot host that. The SIM-NIN policy implementation was done in a hurry.”

According to him, NIMC’s admission is an indictment on the government, not subscribers.

He added, “The Commission doesn’t even have the capacity for all the data of eligible Nigerians. The supervising minister has to know that they need to extend the deadline. The capacity is doubtful and inadequate.

“We will continue to push for a deadline extension and pressure the relevant authorities to ensure that NIMC’s capacity is upgraded. This is why we have been lamenting for a while. So NIMC has a capacity for only 100 million Nigerians? Why then is the minister in a hurry to implement the SIM-NIN policy? They have to issue a new directive. If NIMC doesn’t have the capacity for 200 million, then there is no need to implement the directive. They have been punishing Nigerians for nothing.”

Recently, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, said NIMC had challenges with infrastructure, salaries, welfare, and others.

The PUNCH reported that at least a total of N414.06m has been approved for the enrolment and verification process in the 2022 approved budget.

Business

Nigeria’s oil revenue not enough to cover petrol import costs – Finance minister

Published

on

Nigeria’s revenue being generated from its low oil production cannot cover the cost of imported petrol, Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, has said.

She stated this on Thursday in an interview with Reuters on the sideline of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos.

She said the Federal Government hopes that oil production will average 1.6 million barrels per day (bpd) this year.

In the first quarter of 2022, Nigeria’s oil production averaged 1.5 million bpd.

The minister said, “We are not seeing the revenues that we had planned for. When the production is low it means we’re … barely able to cover the volumes that are required for the (petrol) that we need to import.”

This year, the FG had budgeted 1.8 million bpd of production, but frequent crude theft and attacks on pipelines continue to affect the nation’s wealth.

In April, it asked the national assembly to drop the projected production volume to 1.60 million barrels per day.

Despite higher oil prices due to the Russia-Ukraine war, under-recovery costs, also known as petrol subsidy, continue to erode gains.

Nigeria has spent about N1 trillion on petrol import shortfall in the last four months and will spend up to N4 trillion this year. This has also dwindled the federation revenue — just as the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited has been unable to remit any amount to the government purse this year.

On the recent hike of the monetary policy rate by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the minister said the move was necessary due to policy adjustments by the US Federal Reserve and central banks in Europe.

Continue Reading

Aviation

No plane crashed in Lagos – FAAN, NEMA

Published

on

Two government agencies, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and National Emergency Management Agency, have dismissed reports of a fresh plane crash in the Ikeja area of Lagos.

An internet user who saw a plane being towed away had sent the picture to the social media, concluding that it was the wreckage of a fresh plane crash in Lagos.

The aircraft, which had missing wings, was spotted on Ikeja-Agege road, causing gridlock along the route on Tuesday as the news went viral on the social media.

But FAAN in a terse statement posted on its social media handles, said Nigerians should disregard the news.

It stated, “The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria would like to inform the general public to disregard the news making the rounds on social media about an alleged crash at Ikeja Airport.

“The aircraft was sold by the owner to a buyer, who was taking it to its final destination.”

Also, Ibrahim Farinloye, the zonal coordinator, South-West, NEMA, said after due consultations with all critical stakeholders and tracking of all incoming and outgoing flights in Lagos, there was no plane.

An aviation analyst, Daniel Dikio, had also tweeted his observation of the viral video.

“It is an Airbus A319, hasn’t flown domestically in years. I can see traces of a green logo; it likely belonged to First Nation Airways in its time.

“The wings are separated cleanly; this wouldn’t happen in a crash. The separation is a sign of dismantling.

“There is no damage to the fuselage, almost impossible given the purported circumstances”, Dikio noted.

 

Continue Reading

Business

FG targets 1.4mbpd domestic refining before 2027

Published

on

Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva

The Federal Government has disclosed plans to actualise 1.4 million barrels per day, mbpd, domestic refining of crude oil in the next five years.

Continue Reading

Trending