Connect with us

metro

Insecurity: Concerns in Abuja as schools resume Sept 19

Published

on

Ochogwu Sunday

There has been concerns in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja over the activities of bloodthirsty gunmen who have been on the prowl killing and kidnapping unsuspecting residents of the city.

DAILY POST reports that the nation’s capital has not been left out in the menace of deteriorating security situation that has relatively enveloped the entire country, ranging from banditry, activities of the unknown gunmen and the incessant clashes between farmers and herdsmen at the satellite areas.

In less than 25 days, several communities in Abuja have been attacked by the faceless criminal elements, most of which were underreported.

DAILY POST recalls that unknown gunmen invaded the Pegi community in Kuje, Abuja on Sunday, September 6 and abducted one Mrs Bukola Oladapo, and her two daughters for ransom purpose.

Residents of the community said the attackers armed with AK-47 rifles, scaled the fence of the victims’ house at a resettlement area in the community and forced the doors open. .

Similarly, a father, Abdullahi Benda, and his 23-year-old son, Jibrin Abdullahi Benda, were abducted at Yangoji village in Kwali Area council of Abuja on Friday, August 4 when the criminal elements invaded the community with heavy weapons.

Recall also that gunmen, suspected to be kidnappers on August 17, abducted the village head of Jibi community, Esu Jibi, one Ibrah Dahiru Liman and injured two vigilantes along Dei-dei-Zuba Express way in the nation’s capital.

Also, armed men on August 19 attacked the Dogon-Ruwa community, Kwali Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, kidnapping four residents while others were seriously injured.

The recent surge in security crisis in the FCT may not be unconnected to the increasing rate of banditry currently bedeviling some neighbouring states including Niger, Kaduna and others.

Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA has announced that the first term for the 2021/2022 academic session would commence on September 19, 2021.

A statement by the acting director, Department of Quality Assurance of the Education Secretariat of the FCT Administration, issued last week, revealed that while borders will resume Sunday, September 19, day students shall resume Monday, September 20.

The statement which was signed by Mrs Uzoanya M.E. for the acting education secretary, indicated that the term will end on Friday, December 17, 2021.

DAILY POST reports that secondary schools in the territory were earlier scheduled to resume the new academic session 2021/2022 on Monday, September 6, 2021.

But Mrs Uzoanya O, the Director of Quality Assurance, Education Secretariat who spoke with our correspondent in Abuja, explained that the resumption date was shifted to enable students participating in the 2021 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination WASSCE to complete the exercise and graduate.

According to her, schools in the territory are just commencing their first term following the shutdown of schools due to COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, stating that if the resumption was not shifted, those promoted to SS 3 may be stranded as the previous class is still on ground writing their examinations.

“We cannot have two SS 3 classes so we have to wait till those ones that are writing examination have at least covered many subjects and are close to the end of the exercise”, she added.

However, the security situation in the territory has triggered fear amongst some parents and guardians in the city as schools are set for resumption. This follows the story of attacks on schools in many neighbouring states where scores of students have been abducted by bandits.

A trader in Wuse maker, Mrs Mayowa Ademola who spoke with DAILY POST, said she was happy that schools are finally reopening but scared of possible attacks as is the case in some states particularly the Northern part of the country.

She said, “It is a good thing that our children will soon resume to continue their learning but the truth is that there is insecurity everywhere. How are we sure that this criminal elements will not target our children? God forbid!

“I’m begging the security agencies in Abuja to please secure our children from the hand of these evil people”.

Similarly, a civil servant who identified himself as Mr Onome Mathew, called on FCTA to beef up security in schools across the territory particularly the areas facing incessant attacks, else it will be so embarrassing to have any school child kidnapped from a school in Abuja.

But speaking with DAILY POST, Mr Kasim Musa, the Public Relations Officer, FCT Education Secretariat said efforts are on top gear to ensure that students are secured in all schools across the territory.

He assured residents of adequate security in schools, stating that the FCTA is working with all security agencies and relevant stakeholders in the nation’s capital to block access to schools by kidnappers and other criminal elements.

“We are working with security operatives in FCT and local vigilantes to make sure that students and pupils are not attacked in schools. We have been doing this and its working for us. By God’s grace, we have not had any incident in any school here and we will not have,” he added.

Source: dailypost.ng

metro

Brazilian Returnee Arrested With Cocaine In Private Part, NDLEA Seizes London-Bound Consignment

Published

on

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a Brazilian returnee, Uche Benson Igwedum
Igwedum was nabbed at the arrival hall of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja Lagos with pellets of cocaine concealed in his private part, NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi said.
The NDLEA spokesman in a statement on Sunday noted that Igwedum was nabbed at the Lagos airport on Monday 20th June upon his arrival on Ethiopian Airlines from Sao Paulo, Brazil via Addis Ababa.
“Preliminary investigations reveal the suspect had swallowed 50 wraps of cocaine before departing Brazil and excreted 48 pellets in Addis Ababa where he handed them over to another person,” the statement read.
“He, however, claimed he was unable to excrete the remaining two wraps at the hotel room in Addis Ababa before boarding his flight but later excreted them in the aircraft restroom during the flight from Ethiopia to Lagos.”
Similarly, NDLEA operatives apprehended a drug kingpin, Onyekachi Chukwuma MacDonald, after three weeks of painstaking investigation and tracking.
READ ALSO:
He is accused of being behind attempts to export 40 parcels of Methamphetamine popularly called Mkpuru Mmiri locally to London, United Kingdom through the NAHCO export shed of the Lagos airport.
MacDonald was arrested at Manacola Estate, Alakuko area of Lagos at the weekend, three weeks after his Mkpuru Mmiri consignment weighing 2.05 kilograms was intercepted at the airport and his freight agent, Peter Christopher Anikan arrested on 7th June.
“During his interview, the suspect said he’s from Ahiazu, Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo state and had lived in Dubai, UAE for 10 years before returning to Nigeria in 2019.
“He stated that after his return to Nigeria, he opened a phone accessories shop in Sango Otta, Ogun State but the business collapsed. He then started sending cigarettes to London and decided to conceal the illicit drug in the consignment after advice from a friend.
“Closely related is the seizure of another consignment of 2kg Mkpuru Mmiri at a courier house in Owerri, Imo state. The cargo seized on Wednesday 22nd June had ankara and lace fabrics in which two cylindrical cellophanes containing the drug heading to Hong Kong were concealed,” the statement added.
Also at the Lagos airport, NDLEA operatives on Friday 24th June intercepted 500,000 tablets of Tramadol 225mg packed in 10 cartons and labelled Tramaking imported from Karachi, Pakistan on Emirates Airline. The consignment weighing 407.60kg was seized during a joint examination with Customs and NAFDAC officials.
The same day, a Dubai, UAE-bound passenger, Alegbeleye Taiwo was arrested at the departure hall of the MMIA with 40 ampoules of pentazocine injection. The 21-year-old suspect claims he’s from Osun state.
Meanwhile, two kingpins behind the importation of two recent drug consignments from Canada concealed in vehicle containers through the Tincan seaport in Apapa, Lagos have been arrested by NDLEA operatives.
One of them, Gboyega Ayoola Elegbeji was arrested at his house, 14 Bakare Street, Idi Araba, Lagos on Wednesday 22nd June, for importing a 40ft container TRHU7874497 containing 33 parcels of cannabis indica (Colorado) weighing16.5kg.
The second suspect, Sunday Joe Oyebola, (aka Otunba) was arrested on Thursday 23rd June. He’s linked to the importation of a 40ft container MEDU4389887 containing four vehicles used to conceal 290 parcels weighing 145kg cannabis indica (Colorado) from Montreal, Canada. He had been on the run since March and had in the course of the investigation attempted to bribe officers with N10million to influence the case.
In his response, NDLEA Chairman/Chief Executive, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (retd) commended the officers and men of the MMIA, Tincan, and Imo state Commands of the Agency for the drug seizures and arrests, especially of those who thought they could evade the long arm of the law. He encouraged them and their compatriots across other formations to intensify their efforts toward achieving set goals.
HERALD
Continue Reading

metro

Bauchi man lures teenager to farm, plucks out eyes for ritual

Published

on

The Bauchi State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of a suspected ritualist, Isaac Ezekiel, for allegedly plucking the eyes of a 16-year-old boy, Uzairu Salisu.

Two accomplices, Nensok Bawa, 38, and Yohana Luka, aka Doctor Samu, 52, were also arrested in connection with the crime, which happened at Yelwa community, in the Bauchi area of the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened around 9am on June 24 when Ezekiel lured Salisu to do a casual job for him on a farm in the community.

Salisu was said to be doing the job when the suspect allegedly used a wire to strangulate him till he lost consciousness.

Afterwards, the 32-year-old reportedly used a knife to pluck out the two eyes of the minor and abandoned him on the farm.

READ ALSO:

The ward head, Mohammed Lawal, who was among the people who found the minor writhing in pain, alerted the police to the incident.

The victim was said to have identified Ezekiel as the culprit, leading to his arrest.

In a statement on Monday, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ahmed Wakil, said Ezekiel and his accomplices had been arrested, adding that the victim’s eyeballs were also recovered.

He said, “Sequel to the case of a suspected ritualist who plucked the eyes of a minor, the suspect, Isaac Ezekiel, 32, of Rafin Zurfi, Yelwa, Bauchi metropolitan, has been arrested, and he voluntarily confessed to the crime.

“A prompt search of his house by the police led to the recovery of Uzairu Salisu’s eyeballs. Exhibits recovered from the suspect are the two human eyeballs in a calabash, the cable wire used in perpetrating the heinous act and a travelling bag containing some native medicine.”

Noting that Bawa and Luka connived with Ezekiel to perpetrate the crime, the PPRO said all the suspects would be prosecuted at the completion of investigation.

Continue Reading

metro

Make Judicial Reform Your First Task, NBA President Urges Acting CJN Ariwoola

Published

on

Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola
The President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olumide Akpata, has called on the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, to reform the nation’s judiciary and restore public confidence in the third arm of government.
Mr Akpata made the call on Monday in a statement while reacting to the resignation of the former CJN, Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad.
He reiterated the need for urgent reforms in the judiciary, urging the incoming chief justice to make judicial reform and the restoration of public confidence in the judiciary his first task upon assuming office.
The NBA president pledged the readiness of the Bar to work together with Justice Ariwoola in cleansing “the Augean stable and addressing the ills that have continued to plague not just the judiciary but the entire legal profession”.
READ ALSO:
He also thanked the outgone chief justice for the cordial working relationship between the bar and the bench during his tenure and wished him a quick recovery and well-deserved peaceful retirement.
“It is, however, impossible to consider his lordship’s retirement in isolation of the recent unprecedented developments at the Supreme Court where 14 justices of the court censured the outgone Chief Justice of Nigeria over his lordship’s handling of their welfare and related issues,” said Akpata.
President Muhammadu Buhari had sworn in Justice Ariwoola to replace Justice Muhammad who resigned as the CJN on Sunday night on grounds of ill-health.
News of Muhammad’s resignation broke barely a week after 14 justices of the Supreme Court wrote to him to lament the dilapidated state of affairs in the apex court.
In a leaked letter, the justices alleged that Justice Muhammad failed to address the issues raised despite drawing his attention to them, among other claims.
But these allegations were denied by an aide to the former CJN.
Continue Reading

Trending