metro
Kidnappers Demand ₦450m Ransom for Kwara Monarch, Son, Other Abductees
Kidnappers Demand ₦450m Ransom for Kwara Monarch, Son, Other Abductees
Kidnappers have demanded a total of ₦450 million ransom for the release of a Kwara traditional ruler, his son, and other abducted residents of Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State.
The abductors are reportedly asking for ₦150 million to free the Oniwo of Aafin, Oba Simeon Olaonipekun, and his son, Olaolu, a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, while an additional ₦300 million has been demanded for the release of eight other victims abducted in Adanla-Irese, a suburb of Igbaja.
A family source close to the monarch, who spoke on condition of anonymity on Friday, confirmed that the kidnappers made contact earlier in the day.
“The kidnappers contacted the family this afternoon and told us to bring ₦150 million to secure the release of Kabiesi and his son,” the source said.
The source lamented the emotional trauma the family has endured since the abduction, which occurred on New Year’s Eve.
“We entered the new year with sorrow and tears. We are appealing to the Kwara State Government and security agencies to come to our aid because we don’t know what to do,” he added.
READ ALSO:
- Daaru Na’im Conference Brings World Islamic Leaders to Nigeria to Address Contemporary Challenges
- Wike Declares No Second Chance for Rivers Governor Fubara Over Leadership Failures
- Driver of Lexus SUV in Anthony Joshua Crash Arraigned for Manslaughter
The Kwara South Joint Community Security Watch Network also confirmed the ransom demands. Its coordinator, Elder Olaitan Oyin-Zubair, said the abductors had contacted the victims’ families with specific financial demands.
“Yes, it is true. The bandits demanded ₦150 million for the monarch and his son, while ₦300 million was earlier demanded for the release of the Adanla abductees,” he said.
According to reports, the kidnappers struck on December 31, 2025, when armed men invaded the Aafin community in the Ile-Ire district of Ifelodun LGA, storming the monarch’s palace at about 8 pm.
A family source disclosed that about eight armed men attacked the palace, firing gunshots and demanding to see the monarch and his wife.
“When they noticed we were locking doors and switching off lights, they started shooting. They broke the door with their guns and forced their way in,” the source said.
During the attack, the monarch’s wife, Felicia Olaonipekun, was shot in the arm and later rushed to a hospital for medical treatment.
The source further revealed that the kidnappers abducted the monarch and his son after overpowering the community vigilante group, which was grossly outnumbered.
“Only two vigilante members were on duty, and they could not match the firepower of the attackers,” he said.
Kidnappers Demand ₦450m Ransom for Kwara Monarch, Son, Other Abductees
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics3 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
Sports2 days agoWAFCON 2026: Cameroon beat Malawi 3-0 to claim first-ever continental crown
-
metro2 days agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
