Kwara relaxes curfew as calm returns to Ilorin – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Kwara relaxes curfew as calm returns to Ilorin

Published

on

Residents of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, are now free to operate between 8am and 6pm with effect from Monday October 26, the state governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, has said.

The governor had imposed a 24-hour curfew on the people of the metropolis following massive looting and destruction of government property and private businesses in Iloorin on Friday and Saturday.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Rafiu Ajakaye, titled, ‘Update on curfew in Ilorin metropolis (Kwara State)’, said the decision to review the curfew was taken at a security council meeting with heads of the security agencies in the state on Sunday evening.

“A review of the situation in the Ilorin metropolis suggested a relative calm. The meeting observed that the objective of the curfew has largely been achieved as the misguided elements who looted and vandalised public and private properties have been pushed back and normalcy restored.

“Consequently, the security council resolved to relax the curfew from 24 hours to between 6pm and 8am daily until further notice. This means members of the public can move around between 8am and 6pm daily within the metropolis.”

The state government, according to the statement, will continue to review the situation and take decisions that are in the best interest of the state.

The hoodlums had invaded the Ilorin office of the Nigeria Customs Service in an attempt to loot truckloads of seized smuggled. Some other people trooped to the cargo section of the Ilorin airport and engaged in massive looting of COVID-19 palliative materials.

There were reports of hoodlums breaking into shops and offices in places such as Fate Road and Taiwo Road and embarked on looting spree.

Customs personnel on duty had reportedly engaged the miscreants who visited their Ilorin office and this led to the death of at least four people.

News

Niger community gives terrorists N2m, six motorbikes for release of 40 abductees

Published

on

Niger community gives terrorists N2m, six motorbikes for release of 40 abductees

The Kuchi community in Munya Local Government Area of Niger state has secured the release of 40 out of the 150 people abducted by terrorists three weeks ago.

This was achieved by giving the terrorists six Honda motorcycles, each worth N1.2 million, and N2 million in cash.

The released victims are mostly women and children.

The terrorists have now demanded another six motorcycles and N2 million in cash for the release of another 40 hostages.

A source within the community reported that negotiations are ongoing to secure the release of the remaining abductees.

It would be recalled that terrorists had abducted 150 villagers of Kuchi village three weeks ago when they invaded the community.

READ ALSO:

The bandits had earlier demanded for N150 million ransom for the release of the victims rejecting the N1.5 million offered by the community.

Residents and families of the abductees have lamented over government silence over their challenge as they claimed that no government official or security agent have visited the community to get information on what happened.

They also lamented that there is no security in the community leaving them vulnerable to attacks, a development which they said had led to people leaving the village in fear of future attacks.

The chairman of Munya local government area, Honorable Aminu Najume said that the negotiations are being done by the community as the Council is not involved in the negotiation with the terrorists.

Niger community gives terrorists N2m, six motorbikes for release of 40 abductees

Continue Reading

News

Minister drags PS before Head of Service over sexual harassment

Published

on

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar

Minister drags PS before Head of Service over sexual harassment

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar, has formally lodged a complaint with the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation regarding allegations of sexual harassment levelled against the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Ambassador Ibrahim Lamuwa.

In a letter addressed to the HOCSF dated May 27, 2024, and sighted by our correspondent on Tuesday, Tuggar expressed his concern over the serious nature of the allegation levelled against the permanent secretary by Mrs Simisola Ajayi.

He emphasised the importance of addressing the matter urgently and thoroughly.

The letter was titled, “Re: Official Complaint Regarding Sexual Harassment Of Mrs Simisola Fajemirokun Ajayi By Ambassador Ibrahim Adamu Lamuwa (Permanent Secretary Ministry Of Foreign Affairs).”

It read, “I am compelled to write to inform you of a formal complaint against the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Ibrahim Adamu Lamuwa, on allegations of sexual harassment.

“Bearing in mind the gravity of the matter, I feel it necessary to draw your attention to it and ask that you handle it accordingly,”

READ ALSO:

The letter included an attachment of the complaint received via email, and Tuggar assured the HOCSF his full cooperation in the investigation.

“May I also assure you that I remain available to provide you with any assistance required in discharging your responsibilities,” he added.

The spokesperson for the Ministry, Amb. Eche Abu-Ode, confirmed the development in an interview with our correspondent on Tuesday.

“Yes. The complaint is true,” Abu-Ode said when asked to confirm the authenticity of the letter.

When contacted on the phone for his reaction, Lawuwa declined comment.

“I am in a meeting. Sorry, I cannot talk, please,” he simply said after our correspondent introduced herself and issue she wanted him to react to.

He has also yet to respond to a message sent to his WhatsApp on the matter as of the time of filing this report.

Also, when contacted, the Special Assistant on Media and Communications to the
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Alkasim Abdulkadir, simply said, “No comment. The matter is being looked into by the relevant authorities.”

READ ALSO:

Ajayi, had a petition dated May 29, 2024, addressed to Tuggar, accused the permanent secretary of serial sexual harrasment.

Ajayi, through her lawyer Femi Falana (SAN), called for a thorough investigation into the actions of Amb. Lamuwa.

The petition, signed by Adebayo A. Oniyelu LP of Falana & Falana’s, was titled “Request For An Investigation Of Amb. Ibrahim Lamuwa’s Conducts Of Sexual Harassment At The Place Of Work, Abuse Of Office, Official Intimidation And Discrimination.”

According to the petition, Ajayi narrated multiple instances of harassment allegedly by Lamuwa, which have created an unsafe and uncomfortable working environment.

She claimed for instance that during a policy retreat on October 7, 2023, Lamuwa allegedly made inappropriate advances towards her, suggesting she joined him in his hotel room.

He reportedly continued with inappropriate remarks throughout the retreat.

She also cited an incident on November 10, 2023, where Lamuwa allegedly invited Ajayi to travel to Hong Kong, promising significant personal benefits from the trip.

Minister drags PS before Head of Service over sexual harassment

Continue Reading

News

Confusion in Kano as Ado Bayero invites district heads to Sallah Durbar

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Confusion in Kano as Ado Bayero invites district heads to Sallah Durbar

The recently dethroned 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero, has invited district heads to a durbar, a traditional event held in commemoration of Sallah.

This announcement was made through a circular signed by Alhaji Abbas Sanusi, Galadiman Kano, a senior councilor of the emirate, on Tuesday.

The circular, dated June 10, 2024, instructed all district heads of the emirate to attend with their village heads, horse riders, and praise singers.

“We are directing all the district heads of the emirate to come along with their village head, their horse riders and praise singers for the festivities,” the circular stated.

READ ALSO:

It further instructed the district heads to gather at Aminu Ado Bayero’s palace at Gidan Nassarawa on Saturday, Zhulhijjah 9, 1445, equivalent to June 15, at 11 a.m. for additional directives.

“After the day’s court sitting, the emir will meet with all the district heads at the palace’s hall at Gidan Nassarawa to shed light on how this year’s durbar activities will roll out,” it added.

The circular also noted that local government chairmen had been informed to facilitate the smooth transportation of the district heads into Kano metropolis.

Confusion in Kano as Ado Bayero invites district heads to Sallah Durbar

Continue Reading

Trending