Lagos orders release of detained 253 #EndSARS protesters – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Lagos orders release of detained 253 #EndSARS protesters

Published

on

Lagos State Government has ordered the release of 253 persons arrested by police over their alleged role in the unrest that followed the recent #EndSARS protests.

The Lagos State Attorney-General, Moyosore Onigbanjo, said that there no prima-facie case had been established against the 253 persons by the police.

A statement signed by Director of Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Justice, Mr Kayode Oyekanmi, made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday, said 92 persons would, however, be prosecuted.

The A-G said the police had, between November 4 and November 5, forwarded 40 case files to the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) in respect of the 361 persons arrested for crime that occurred in connection with the protests.

“Legal advice has been issued in respect of all the 40 case files received.

“As of November 6, the directorate has been able to dispatch legal advice in respect of 81 persons that are being charged to the various courts. The others will be dispatched to court on Monday November 9.

“Out of the 361 persons, the DPP shall be prosecuting 92 persons for different offences ranging from arson, stealing, breaking into buildings, armed robbery and murder.

“The office has advised that 253 persons to be released forthwith for non-disclosure of a prima facie case.

“In the meantime, two case files in respect of 16 persons have been advised for further investigation by the police.”

The A-G in the statement assured members of the public that his office would ensure that those arrested by the police are treated in accordance with the due process of the law.

Onigbanjo also noted that his office remained committed to maintaining the rule of law and ensuring peace and order in the state. (NAN)

News

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

Published

on

Executive Director of MURIC, Professor Ishaq Akintola

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

The University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) has announced a ban on all academic and official activities during Sallah and other public holidays declared by the Federal Government. This decision follows objections raised by the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) regarding a field trip organized by the university on Eid al-Kabir, coinciding with this year’s celebration.

Prof. Ishaq Akintola, Director of MURIC, confirmed this development in a statement on Thursday night. He expressed satisfaction that UNIPORT responded positively to their objections and instructed all departments and faculties to strictly adhere to public holidays declared by the Federal Government.

“MURIC has confirmed that UNIPORT has instructed all departments and faculties to refrain from scheduling any official university programme or activity during Sallah and other public holidays declared by the FG,” Akintola stated.

READ ALSO:

He acknowledged the university’s acknowledgment that organizing the field trip on Eid al-Kabir and the subsequent public holidays was inappropriate. He clarified that MURIC does not seek apologies, legal action, or damages, emphasizing Islam’s principles of forgiveness and tolerance.

“We are not pursuing this campaign for personal reasons but to uphold the fundamental rights of Muslims wherever they are infringed upon. We hope other tertiary institutions will learn from this incident,” Akintola added.

He concluded by expressing hope that lessons learned from this incident would guide future decisions regarding religious observances and public holidays in educational institutions.

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

Continue Reading

News

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

The palace of the 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado-Bayero, has been marked for demolition by the State government.

The state governor, Abba Yusuf, ordered the demolition of the palace on Thursday.

The state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Haruna Dederi, disclosed the development while addressing newsmen on Thursday.

According to him, the demolition will allow for the renovation of the palace which will commence immediately.

Dederi also stated that the Commissioner of Police has been expressly told to evict Bayero from the Nasarawa GRA mini palace where he resides.

READ ALSO:

He said “concluded arrangements for the general reconstruction and renovation of the property including the demolishing and reconstruction of the dilapidated wall fence with immediate effect.”

The development marks a new turn in the tussle for the throne of the Emir of the ancient city.

The demolition order comes a few hours after the Federal High Court nullified the dethronement of Bayero.

The court ruled on its substantive suit validating the Kano Emirate Council Repeal Law 2024 but nullifying all actions of Governor Abba Yusuf following the passage of the law.

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

Continue Reading

News

Sanusi remains Emir, says Kano govt despite court order

Published

on

Muhammadu Sanusi II

Sanusi remains Emir, says Kano govt despite court order

This is contained in the government’s reaction to a pronouncement by a Federal High Court on Thursday, June 20, 2024, nullifying the reinstallation of Sanusi to the throne.

Continue Reading

Trending