Connect with us

metro

Motorists, commuters attack highway robbers on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway with stones, cutlasses

Published

on

Brave motorists and commuters on Wednesday fought with stones and cutlasses highways robbers who had come to rob them of their valuables in the early morning traffic on the Long Bridge of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Initially, there was apprehension on the bridge, inward Lagos State, opposite Mikano/Karameh City, around 5.55am when four gun-wielding men in black came, taking advantage of the traffic jam and started robbing motorists.
However, Vanguard reported that some passengers and motorists summoned courage to disrupt their operations by pelting them with stones.
Narrating his experience to Vanguard, a passenger said he was in a Mazda car that took off from Mowe, Ogun State.
According to Owokunle, seven passengers were on board the Mazda car, when the armed men were sighted in black cardigans, robbing unsuspecting road users.
He said: “The journey was very smooth from Mowe, but as we approached the Long Bridge, the driver was advised to be alert because of the perennial gridlock ahead.
“Shortly after, the driver sighted the suspects on the bridge stopping and robbing road users.
“People were scared and many drivers and passengers abandoned their vehicles and fled in different directions. “Fortunately, one of the road users shouted at the top of his voice, advising co-road users to stop running and to face the suspects.
“This was how the road users pelted the suspects with stones, while some drivers brought out cutlasses and rods to face the suspects.
“Sensing danger, the suspects descended the bridge and disappeared.”
Another road user, who simply gave his name as Gabriel, corroborated Owokunle, saying two car owners were robbed in his presence before the road users began a counter attack.
“This angered us and we faced the suspects with pebbles, cutlasses and rods,” he added.
Another road user, Aramide, said out of fear someone jumped from the bridge and this may lead to serious injuries.
“But nobody could wait to attend to him as people continued their journey after the nasty experience,” he said.
Spokesperson for Lagos State Police Command, SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said that policemen had been detailed to some sensitive areas of the expressway to curtail suspicious activities.
He was reacting to an alarm by one Pastor Olaleye Gbenga of The Redeemed Christian Church, RCCG, claiming that some 20 persons were kidnapped on the Kara Bridge, along Lagos/Ibadan Expressway.
Lately, many motorists and commuters have lamented being trapped in the traffic induced by the ongoing road construction on the expressway, particularly around the Otedola Bridge, Kara and Long Bridge.
Motorists and commuters, while lamenting over the situation, were heard complaining that the road had become narrow due to the construction, and had slowed down vehicular movements.
The situation, however, worsened as robbers take advantage of the traffic to rob.
Some road users told Vanguard there was urgent need for government to beef up security on the expressway.

metro

Father, daughters, relation die after ‘amala’ meal in Kogi

Published

on

Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Police Command, CP Edward Egbuk

The people of Mopa town in the Mopa-Muro Local Government Area of Kogi State have been thrown into mourning following the mysterious death of four members of a family after reportedly eating a cassava flour meal known as ‘Amala.’

The deceased died in quick succession between Friday, September 30 and Sunday, October 2.

Those who died included the family head, Pa. Motilewa, two daughters and a girl who is said to be their relation.

One of the deceased daughters identified as Motun was a National Certificate of Education holder and teacher in the town. The mother, however, miraculously survived.

The event has left residents of the town and the entire neighbourhood in mourning, fear and confusion, with many calling for an investigation into the death of the family members.

It was gathered that the family prepared the ‘Amala’ meal from the left over of cassava flour from which they had previously made and eaten ‘Fufu’. They were said to have spread the processed shafts in the sun to dry for some days.

READ ALSO:

The dried flakes were subsequently ground into soft powder which was used for ‘Amala’ which they ate on Thursday evening, before retiring to bed.

An eyewitness reported that the victims became sick overnight and efforts were made to stabilise them. Unfortunately, the youngest member of the family passed away on Friday, quickly followed on Saturday by the relation living with the family.

With the sudden passage, the others were moved to the highly rated ECWA Hospital, Egbe, for better medical attention.

Sadly, the eldest of the daughters, Motun, gave up the ghost at about 3:00am Sunday. The father also died later the same Sunday.

At the time of filing this report, the mother, identified as Molomo, was still alive in the hospital and under a close observation.

Members of the community are said to be suspecting foul play in the sudden death and have, therefore, suspended the burial for proper investigations to unravel the cause of their deaths.

“We are shocked. I have never seen a thing like this. We suspect that someone may have poisoned the food. For what? We cannot tell. I’m confused and in pains. This is too much to bear,” a member of the family lamented.

Earlier in August this year, five persons lost their lives after eating a cassava flour meal prepared at their family house in Usugnwe-Okaito, Okehi local government area of Kogi State.

Eagle

Continue Reading

metro

Building collapse claims one as flood displaces 651,053 in Anambra communities

Published

on

Flood in Anambra

One person died in Enugu-Otu, Aguleri in Anambra State, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has confirmed.

The Acting State Coordinator, Mr. Thickman Tanimu who disclosed this to reporters on Monday, said the deceased, identified as Ginikanwa Izuoba passed on following sudden collapse of his apartment occasioned by impact of the flood.

He further hinted that no fewer than 651,053 persons were rendered homeless by the disaster in six local government areas of the state.

He added that Ogbaru Local Government Area recorded highest number of victims followed by Anambra East and West Local Government Areas.

READ ALSO:

“NEMA, accompanied by officials of Anambra State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, visited Umueze-Anam, Mkpunando, Igbedo, Inoma and Ifite-Ogwari all in Anambra East and Anyamelum Council Areas,” he said.

Appreciating Anambra SEMA for taking certain proactive measures to mitigate impact of the disaster, Tanimu identified such measures to include identification of 13 Internally Displaced Persons’ camps, recruitment of camp managers, support staff and activation of health workers to work with people in the camps.

“The camps so far activated include the Ifite-Ogwari and Igbakwu Health Centres,” he added.

The Nation

Continue Reading

metro

Father Mbaka Removed From Adoration Ministry As Worshippers Attack Priest Brought As Replacement

Published

on

Ejike Mbaka

… Fr Amadi replaces Mbaka

Continue Reading

Trending