NBC sanctions AIT, Channels, Arise TV for #EndSARS coverage – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

NBC sanctions AIT, Channels, Arise TV for #EndSARS coverage

Published

on

The National Broadcasting Commission has fined Channels TV, Arise TV and Africa Independent Television for their “unprofessional coverage” of the #EndSARS protests.

The acting Director-General of the NBC, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba, announced this at a press conference in Abuja on Monday.

The NBC had last week warned all television and radio stations against reporting the #EndSARS protests in a manner that could embarrass the government or private individuals or cause disaffection, incite the public or cause rift in the society.

This came as a human rights activist, Femi Falana (SAN), said the Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 And Beyond had commenced an investigation into last Tuesday shootings of protesters at the Lekki tollgate.

Falana is the Chairman of the group.

He said ASCAB had identified the barracks where the soldiers who opened fire on protesters came from.

Falana disclosed this on Monday during an interview with Arise TV.

“We have already identified the barracks where the soldiers left for Lekki, we have already identified the barracks,” he said.

But he failed to give the name of the barracks.

Falana added, “The President was likely to have been told soldiers were ordered so I want to believe that’s why it was not addressed. They said it was a rumour but I think the facts are emerging now, that indeed soldiers went to Lekki; indeed, they fired at protesters and indeed some of the protesters at least two have been officially acknowledged to have died from gunshot wounds.

“The Nigerian government has no respect for the rule of law and has ensured they stave off all forms of protests in the country.

“Every designated venue for protest in the country have been fenced by the government to prevent demonstrations.

“In Lagos, the Gani Fawehinmin Square has been fenced while the Unity Fountain in Abuja has also been fenced, and the same government has said citizens have the right to protest.”

News

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

Published

on

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

The leadership of the Organised Labour has responded to the Department of State Services (DSS) over its warning that the union should shelve its proposed protest billed to hold February 27 and 28.

DSS had admonished the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and its counterpart from Trade Union Congress (TUC) to rescind their decision, saying the plea was in the interest of peace across the country.

But reacting to the DSS’ warning, the President of NLC, Joe Ajaero, said DSS should not blackmail the Organised Labour and arrest those that want to use the opportunity of the protest to foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence as claimed.

The labour leader described the forthcoming action as “peaceful protest against unpardonable cost of living”, adding that the Congress would not fold its arm while Nigerians continue to live in penury.

He said: “We are concerned by the unsolicited advice of the Department of State Security to shelve our planned protest against the unprecedented high cost of living in spite of the indescribable suffering in the land, spiralling inflation, deepening poverty and the Naira at an exchange rate of N1,900 to the US Dollar.

READ ALSO:

“According to the Service, the planned protest should be shelved “in the interest of peace and public order”, pre-supposing that the action is intended to be violent and disruptive even when we have a history of peaceful protests.

“More worrying is the new role the Service has assigned to itself, the chief spokes person of the government.

“According to the Service, “It is common knowledge that all levels of Government are striving to ameliorate the prevailing economic condition and as such, should be given a benefit of the doubt, So far, appropriate authorities are working assiduously with a spectrum of stakeholders to fashion out modalities to address the current difficulties”.

“We are equally worried that although the Service is aware that some elements are planning to use the opportunity of the protest to foment crisis and by extension, widespread violence”, and yet have not executed the arrest of these elements.

“We are equally intrigued by the innuendos of the Service, their philosophy of “peace” and wild allegations and we want to reassure them that no one loves this country more than us and on our honour, we would never do anything that will compromise its sovereignty or security.

“Having said this, we would not have ourselves blackmailed or lied against by the Service. Our protest is a peaceful one against the unpardonable cost of living of which the unserviced personnel of the Service are also victims. We cannot fold our hands and pretend all is well. That will be a grievous conspiracy that history will not forgive.”

BREAKING: No going back on nationwide protest, Labour replies DSS

Continue Reading

News

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Published

on

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

The Ogun state government has closed the Nursing Department of Harvarde College of Science Business and Management Studies in Abeokuta as it operated without accreditation from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).  

The enforcement team, comprising officials from the Ogun Ministry of Health’s enforcement team and members of the State Nursing and Midwifery Committee (SNMC), sealed the department on Tuesday. 

The shutdown  

Dr Kayode Oladehinde, the Permanent Secretary of the Ogun Ministry of Health, revealed during the enforcement exercise that the private institution had been offering a degree program in Nursing Sciences for approximately six years without the required accreditation.  

  • Represented by the Acting Director of Nursing Services, Mrs. Serifat Aminu, Oladehinde stressed that such unauthorized programs contribute to quackery in nursing, posing a threat to public health. 

READ ALSO:

 

  • The nursing department will remain sealed until it obtains full accreditation, as emphasized by Oladehinde.  
  • He denounced the value of a Nursing degree obtained from Harvarde College and similar unaccredited institutions, stating that graduates would be unable to obtain a valid license to practice in Nigeria and other parts of the world. 

He expressed concern about the proliferation of institutions offering nursing degrees without accreditation, leading to the production of quacks in the nursing profession, which poses a danger to society.  

Oladehinde urged parents and candidates interested in nursing programs to conduct due diligence by checking the NMCN website for a list of accredited institutions, cautioning against wasting time and resources on unaccredited programs. 

The permanent secretary warned parents to be wary of institutions making false claims and assured that the Ogun government would continue its efforts to combat quackery in both the education and practice of the nursing profession in the state. 

In response to the closure, a 300-level student, who preferred to remain anonymous, expressed shock at the lack of accreditation, regretting the financial investment her parents had made on her behalf in the unaccredited program. 

Ogun shuts down Harvarde College’s Nursing department for lack of accreditation

Continue Reading

News

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

Published

on

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

The Senate on Wednesday, February 21, confirmed the nomination of 17 persons for appointment as National Commissioners of the National Population Commission (NPC).

The red chamber also approved the appointment of Jalal Arabi as the chairman of the National Hajj Commission (NAHCON) and three other commissioners for the agency including, Aliyu Abdul-Razak (Commissioner – Policy, Personnel and Finance), Prince Anofiu Elegushi (Commissioner-Operations) and Prof. Abubakar A. Yagawal (Commissioner-Planning and Research).

The Commissioners of NAHCON cleared by the Senate are Hon Emmanuel Trump Eke (Abia), Dr Clifford Zirra (Adamawa), Mr. Chidi Christopher Ezeoke (Anambra), Isa Audu Buratai (Borno), Bishop Alex Ukam (Cross River), Ms Blessing Brume-Ataguba (Delta), Dr. Jeremiah Ogbonna Nwankwegu (Ebonyi), Dr. Tony Aiyejina (Edo), Mr Ejike Eze (Enugu), Mr. Abubakar Damburam (Gombe) and Prof. Uba Nnabue (Imo).

READ ALSO:

Others are Ms. Sa’adatu Dogon Bauchi Garba (Kaduna), Dr Aminu Ibrahim Tsanyawa (Kano), Hon Yori Afolabi (Kogi), Ms. Mary Ishaya Afan (Plateau), Mr Saany Sale (Taraba) and Mr. Ogiri Itotemaan Henry (Rivers).

The report on the screening of the NPC commissioners was presented by the chairman,

Senate Committee on National Identity Card and Population, Senator Abdul Ningi (PDP – Bauchi Central) while the report of the NPC was presented by the Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Senator Sani Bello.

The Senate also confirmed the nomination of Dr. Kelechi Ohiri for appointment as the director general of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA).

The chairman of Senate Commended on Health (Secondary and Tertiary), Senator Ipalibo Banigo (PDP – Rivers West) presented the report.

Senate confirms appointment of 17 commissioners for NPC

Continue Reading

Trending

Skip to content