metro
NNPCL: Protesters storm AGF office, demand probe of Mele Kyari
NNPCL: Protesters storm AGF office, demand probe of Mele Kyari
Protesters on Tuesday stormed the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), demanding the prosecution of former Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited Group (NNPCL) CEO Mele Kyari.
Concerned Citizens Against Corruption requested that the AGF undertake a thorough inquiry of NNPCL’s dealings over the last five years.
The group, led by its convener, Kabir Matazu, expressed displeasure that, despite President Bola Tinubu’s resignation of Kyari and the whole NNPCL board on April 2, 2025, no efforts had been made to probe the alleged corrupt activities during Kyari’s term.
The group raised concerns about the repair and recommissioning of government-owned refineries, claiming that billions of dollars were spent without accountability.
They also highlighted a confusing arrangement in which NNPCL is apparently indebted to Matrix Energy for more than $2 billion, with the loan serviced through daily crude oil allocations.
“It is on record that the removal of the erstwhile leadership of the NNPCL was widely applauded by Nigerians, especially groups like ours that have been at the forefront of demanding accountability and transparency in the management of institutions,” Matazu said.
He further stated, “It is also notable that Kyari’s leadership of the NNPCL was plagued by numerous allegations of corruption due to a lack of transparency. Nigerians are disillusioned that the president has only stopped at removing the former leadership without initiating steps to investigate Kyari and his team’s management of the organisation. A key issue is the alleged fraud surrounding the rehabilitation and recommissioning of government-owned refineries. The figures and facts simply do not add up.
READ ALSO:
- Fresh herders’ attack claims 11 lives in Benue
- Nigerian Customs rakes in N1.75tn revenue
- Marketers count losses as NNPC slashes petrol price
“In addition to the billions of dollars claimed to have been spent on refinery repairs, Kyari’s administration also alleged that Matrix Energy Limited invested $400 million in rehabilitating the Port Harcourt Refinery, even though the Federal Executive Council approved $1.5 billion for the same facility.
“More perplexingly, the NNPCL is now reportedly indebted to Matrix Energy by over $2 billion. This debt is being serviced through daily crude oil allocations to Matrix Energy, for which no payments are being made.
“This situation raises urgent questions: Why and how is the Federal Government, through the NNPCL, indebted to Matrix Energy for $2 billion? Why is the debt being serviced with daily crude oil supplies? Who were the parties involved in negotiating this deal? Why are Nigerians being kept in the dark about these agreements?”
The protesters also emphasised that addressing these issues would enable the federal government to account for how public resources were used under Kyari’s leadership.
“An investigation into these transactions would help the government identify funds that need to be recovered and from whom, especially considering Nigeria’s dire economic condition.
“Furthermore, such an investigation would ensure that the current leadership is held accountable and avoid repeating the mistakes of the past,” Matazu said.
The group called on the AGF to immediately review all agreements entered into by the NNPCL during Kyari’s administration.
“This investigation should uncover the federal government’s financial losses and recommend actionable steps to recover these funds. We demand an immediate judicial review,” Matazu stated.
The Concerned Citizens Against Corruption also urged the Minister of Justice to push for a commission of inquiry into the NNPCL’s handling of refinery repairs under Kyari and the dissolved board.
The protesters vowed to continue demanding accountability and transparency in institutional management, emphasising that Nigerians deserve to know the truth about the alleged corrupt practices under Kyari’s administration.
NNPCL: Protesters storm AGF office, demand probe of Mele Kyari
Auto
Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
The Lagos State Government has dismissed widespread claims that a recent Court of Appeal judgment has stripped Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIOs) of their powers across Nigeria, insisting that the ruling applies strictly to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The clarification follows public reactions to a decision of the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, which upheld an earlier ruling of the Federal High Court restraining Vehicle Inspection Officers and the Directorate of Road Traffic Services in the FCT from stopping motorists, impounding vehicles, or imposing fines.
The judgment triggered viral interpretations suggesting that VIO operations had been outlawed nationwide.
However, Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro, SAN, described such interpretations as legally inaccurate and misleading.
Basis of the Court Decision
According to Pedro, both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal premised their decisions on the absence of statutory authority empowering VIO officials in the FCT to stop, impound, confiscate vehicles, or impose fines on motorists.
READ ALSO:
- Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
- FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception
- Mystery in Lekki: Police Probe Death of Two Nollywood Crew Found Lifeless in Parked Car
“It is important to understand that the Honourable Judge of the Federal High Court and Justices of the Court of Appeal premised their decision on absence of statutory power conferred on the Respondents to stop, impound or confiscate vehicles and/or impose fines on motorists on roads in FCT Abuja,” he stated.
He noted that the courts did not declare vehicle inspection enforcement unconstitutional in Nigeria, but rather ruled specifically on the legal framework governing the FCT authorities involved in the suit.
Why Lagos Is Different
The Lagos government stressed that Nigeria’s federal structure allows states to legislate on residual matters such as road traffic management and vehicle inspection.
Pedro explained that Lagos operates under the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law, which expressly establishes and empowers the Vehicle Inspection Service (VIS).
Section 12(1) of the law authorises the VIS to:
Inspect and regulate the roadworthiness of vehicles
Conduct pre-registration inspections
Issue Road Worthiness Certificates
Collaborate with other relevant agencies to enforce traffic laws
In addition, Section 23(1) provides for penalties against offenders, subject to adjudication before mobile or magistrate courts, ensuring judicial oversight.
Not of Nationwide Effect
While acknowledging that the appellate decision is binding within the FCT, the Lagos government emphasised that it does not have automatic nationwide application.
“The judgment, though binding, is not of general application or of nationwide effect in Nigeria,” the ministry stated.
The state government stressed that VIS officers in Lagos remain legally empowered to carry out enforcement duties under extant state laws.
Wider Implications
The controversy underscores ongoing debates over traffic enforcement powers in Nigeria, particularly the constitutional boundaries between federal and state authorities.
Legal analysts note that unless the Supreme Court delivers a broader pronouncement on the issue, enforcement powers will continue to depend largely on the specific statutory framework establishing such agencies in each jurisdiction.
For now, Lagos authorities insist that vehicle inspection and traffic enforcement operations in the state remain valid and legally grounded.

Appeal Court Ruling on VIO Limited to Abuja, Not Lagos — LASG
metro
FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception
FG Drags El-Rufai to Court Over Alleged NSA Phone Interception
The Federal Government has filed a three-count criminal charge against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja through the Department of State Services (DSS), alleges that El-Rufai conspired with unnamed accomplices—said to be currently at large—to carry out the interception.
According to court documents, the alleged offence contravenes Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act 2024.
The Federal Government further claimed that El-Rufai admitted involvement in the act during an appearance on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 3.
In the second count, prosecutors alleged that the former governor was aware that the NSA’s communications had been unlawfully intercepted but failed to report the breach to appropriate security agencies.
The third count accuses El-Rufai and his alleged collaborators of using technical equipment to intercept Ribadu’s calls in a manner that endangered public safety and national security.
The prosecution argued that the action created “reasonable apprehension” among Nigerians, contrary to Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act 2003.
El-Rufai, a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory under President Olusegun Obasanjo and a prominent figure in an emerging opposition coalition critical of President Bola Tinubu’s administration, has yet to publicly respond to the charges.
Further proceedings in the case are expected to commence at the Federal High Court in Abuja.


metro
Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
Motorists plying the ever-busy Mile 12–Ketu corridor of Lagos were gripped by fear on Monday morning after suspected armed robbers reportedly attacked vehicles trapped in traffic, causing widespread panic along the route.
Eyewitness accounts shared on social media indicated that the assailants, said to be wielding cutlasses, emerged during the rush-hour gridlock to harass and intimidate motorists.
The hoodlums allegedly moved from one vehicle to another, threatening occupants and attempting to force open car doors in what appeared to be a coordinated operation.
One commuter who claimed to have narrowly escaped the incident decried the recurring security breaches in the area, expressing concern that such attacks continue despite the proximity of security formations.
READ ALSO:
- NSCIA Secretary-General Clarifies Council Receives No Government Funding
- Saudi Supreme Court Calls on Muslims to Sight Ramadan Crescent Moon on Tuesday Evening
- Nigeria Tax Act 2025: FG Clarifies No New Construction or Bank Taxes
The Lagos State Police Command confirmed that it had swung into action following reports of the incident.
Spokesperson for the Command, SP Abimbola Adebisi, said the Commissioner of Police had ordered an immediate security reinforcement of the axis to prevent a recurrence.
She disclosed that the Area Commander, Divisional Police Officer, and tactical teams have been mobilised to intensify patrols and track down criminal elements operating between Mile 12 and Ketu.
“The Command is committed to safeguarding lives and property, and no area will be left unattended, particularly locations with repeated security concerns,” Adebisi assured.
She urged residents and road users to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities through the Command’s emergency lines: 07061019374, 08065154338, 08063299264, 08039344870, and 09168630929.
Terror in Lagos Traffic: Cutlass Gang Unleashes Mayhem on Mile 12–Ketu Road
-
Education1 day agoCheck Your Name: UNILORIN Releases Updated NELFUND Refund List for 2024/2025 Students
-
News17 hours agoOsogbo Sons and Daughters Mark 5th Anniversary with Awards, Political Undertones
-
metro2 days agoWoman Arrested Over Murder of Nigerian E-Hailing Driver in South Africa
-
metro2 days agoBoko Haram Terrorists Release Video of 176 Abducted Kwara Residents
-
News1 day agoAfenifere Calls for Immediate Take-Off of State Police as Terror Threats Rise in Yorubaland
-
metro3 days agoCourt Orders DIA to Produce Cleric Accused of Coup Plot by February 18
-
metro1 day agoUS Military Boosts Support for Nigeria’s Fight Against Insurgency With Ammunition, Troop
-
metro1 day agoArgungu Festival 2026 Highlights Peace, Stability, Economic Growth — Tinubu


