NSA Mongono absent at security meeting with Buhari - Newstrends
Connect with us

News

NSA Mongono absent at security meeting with Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has given fresh marching orders to service chiefs and other heads of security agencies to end abductions and killings of innocent people in the North-Central and North-West.

He stated this on Tuesday three weeks after he met with the service chiefs, where he vowed not to leave office as a failure.

He directed security chiefs to find tactics to solve the security challenges in the country.

The President gave the order after receiving a briefing from security heads at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He commended them for their efforts so far, which he said were yielding positive results in the Northeast and Southeast.

But conspicuously absent was the National Security Adviser, Major-Gen Babagana Monguno (rtd).

On August 19, President Buhari promised to do everything possible to address the security challenges facing the country and expressed his wish not to leave government in 2023 “as a failure”.

Monguno, who briefed State House reporters after that meeting, said the President expressed happiness over the successes recorded so far by the security agencies in the fight against insurgents, bandits, kidnappers, and other criminal elements in various parts of the country.

But between the last meeting of the President with security chiefs and yesterday, there were some major security breaches, such as invasion of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna State, mass abductions in Zamfara State and reprisal killings in Plateau State.

Monguno’s absence raised a cloud of dust, especially after last Wednesday’s sacking of the Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, and the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mohammed Sabo Nanono, for ‘non-performance’.

It was gathered that more heads are expected to roll as President Buhari begins an unprecedented move to weed out non-performing ministers from his cabinet.

The service chiefs at the meeting were led by the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Lucky Irabor. The Inspector-General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba; Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola; Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Abubakar Malami; and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, were all in attendance.

Buhari’s position was made known to State House correspondents by IGP Alkali after the three-hour meeting.

He said the President also directed them to redouble their efforts to restore security across the country to enable citizens go about their normal business.

He said, “Service chiefs and the intelligence chiefs have been able to brief the President on the security situation in the country. The President has also observed and made a remark that the constitutional responsibility of government is the provision of security, and he is ready to provide such.

 

“We should reinvigorate our efforts, which are yielding results in the Northeast, Southeast, but there is more to be done in the North-Central and Northwest, where people are worried. He has intelligence and information that schoolchildren and students are abducted, selective abductions and killings are going on. This narrative must change. We have assured him and promised him that we’ll make efforts to do more.”

 

The Minister of Defence, Gen. Bashir Magashi (rtd), also told newsmen after the meeting that the government reviewed the situation in the country and concluded that it can resolve the security challenges, especially in Zamfara State, with the cooperation of Nigerians.

According to him another batch of six A-29 Super Tucano Jets will arrive in the country next week while the jets in the first batch already delivered are being test run.

The Zamfara State Commissioner for Information, Ibrahim Dosara, has said the military onslaught against bandits is yielding tremendous success, especially since the shutdown of telecoms services in the state.

News

UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing

Published

on

Sadiya Usman

UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing

The University of Abuja (UniAbuja) has confirmed that 100-level student Sadiya Usman has been found safe after being reported missing earlier this week. The university expressed relief and gratitude to the public and security agencies for their assistance in locating the student.

Sadiya Usman, who is enrolled in the Department of Accounting, was last seen leaving her residence at Kontagora Estate, Gwagwalada, Abuja, on Tuesday, 18 February 2026, at around 8:00 a.m. She was on her way to the university’s Main Campus to sit for her Computer-Based Test (GST 111) but did not arrive for the exam.

READ ALSO:

After her disappearance, her guardian reported her missing when all attempts to reach her by phone were unsuccessful. The university promptly activated internal safety protocols and collaborated with security agencies, campus authorities, and the public to ensure her safe recovery.

The student was eventually located late on Thursday, 20 February 2026, around 11:49 p.m., and is reported to be safe, unhurt, and in stable condition. Authorities confirmed that coordinated efforts between the university, law enforcement, and concerned members of the public were instrumental in her recovery.

The university reaffirmed its commitment to student safety and welfare, promising continuous updates as necessary. It also thanked those who responded to the public appeal for information and urged students and parents to remain vigilant about safety.

This incident highlights the importance of campus security measures, timely reporting of missing persons, and the role of community involvement in safeguarding students.

UniAbuja Student Sadiya Usman Found Safe After Two Days Missing

Continue Reading

News

Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim

Published

on

TikToker and aesthetic vendor, Mirabel

Police to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim

The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed plans to arrest and prosecute TikTok user Mirabel after she admitted that her viral rape allegation was false, authorities and investigative reports indicate.

Mirabel, a social media influencer, first sparked national attention after posting videos alleging she had been sexually assaulted in her home in Ogijo, Ogun State. The posts quickly went viral, drawing widespread outrage, calls for justice, and prompting the police to launch an immediate investigation.

An audio recording of a phone conversation, shared online by social media personality VeryDarkMan (VDM), reportedly captures Mirabel acknowledging that parts of her story were fabricated. In the recording, she apologises and admits creating a threatening TikTok account to support her narrative, claiming she had been taking drugs at the time and “was not thinking clearly” when posting the videos.

READ ALSO:

A police source said senior officers, including the Divisional Police Officer, were at the hospital where Mirabel was receiving medical care. Once she is discharged, she will be taken into custody and formally charged under provisions of Nigeria’s Criminal Code relating to false reporting of sexual offenses. “The essence is to serve as a deterrent to others,” the source added.

The Ogun State Police had earlier ensured that Mirabel received medical treatment and support, following procedures to protect her health while the investigation continued. The Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency (DSVA) confirmed that the incident fell outside its jurisdiction and forwarded all relevant information to the Ogun authorities.

This development has sparked public debate about the responsible use of social media, the impact of false allegations, and the importance of evidence-based reporting. Legal experts warn that fabricating sexual assault claims can carry serious criminal penalties and may undermine the credibility of genuine victims.

Authorities continue to urge the public to avoid spreading unverified claims and to cooperate with law enforcement in ongoing investigations. Updates on the case will be issued by the Ogun State Police Command as formal legal proceedings begin.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Türkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Türkiye President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU

President Bola Tinubu has commenced a strategic expansion of Nigeria’s defence diplomacy, engaging the European Union (EU) and Turkey to strengthen the nation’s security architecture while reducing overreliance on the United States. The initiative comes as Nigeria faces multiple security threats, including Boko Haram insurgency in the north-east, farmer-herder clashes in the north-central region, separatist violence in the south-east, and escalating banditry in the north-west.

The move coincided with a visit to Brussels by National Security Adviser Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, who led discussions at the first EU-Nigeria Peace, Security, and Defence Dialogue. Both sides agreed to deepen collaboration on regional stability, counter-terrorism, and violent extremism, while enhancing intelligence sharing, maritime security, and cybersecurity cooperation. An EU diplomat in Abuja emphasized that the bloc would provide non-lethal military support, while respecting Nigeria’s sovereignty, describing the EU as “more consistent, more reliable, and more coherent than the United States” in delivering security assistance.

READ ALSO:

During his state visit to Turkey in January 2026, President Tinubu also held defence discussions with Turkish officials. Turkish companies pledged to supply military equipment, advanced systems, and tactical hardware, while exploring joint local production arrangements with Nigeria. Türkiye is currently regarded as a global leader in armed drones, which could bolster Nigeria’s counter-terrorism operations and reconnaissance capabilities.

Despite these new partnerships, Nigeria continues security cooperation with the United States, including deployments by United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) to support training, intelligence sharing, and operational planning. Recent U.S. personnel arrivals in Bauchi State aim to enhance counter-terrorism capacity without taking direct combat roles, operating under Nigerian command structures.

Analysts say Nigeria’s diversified defence diplomacy seeks to reduce dependency on a single partner, while providing access to a wider range of technology transfer, training opportunities, procurement options, and operational expertise. The strategy also reflects a broader trend of African nations balancing traditional defence alliances with emerging strategic partners to better address evolving security threats.

With regional instability and domestic insurgency on the rise, Nigeria’s engagement with Turkey, the EU, and other partners is expected to strengthen the Nigerian Armed Forces, enhance counter-terrorism operations, and secure national and regional stability.

Tinubu Reduces Reliance on U.S, Strengthens Defence Partnerships With Turkey, EU

Continue Reading
HostArmada Affordable Cloud SSD Shared Hosting
HostArmada - Affordable Cloud SSD Web Hosting

Trending