Obasanjo, Adams, Afenifere leaders discuss South-West security, other issues – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Obasanjo, Adams, Afenifere leaders discuss South-West security, other issues

Published

on

Issues relating to the security situation in the South-West Nigeria and the interest of the people of the region were the focus of a meeting held in Lagos on Wednesday attended by former President Olusegun Obasanjo and leaders of the pan-Yoruba socio-cultural organisation, Afenifere.

The meeting held at the private home of Afenifere leader, Pa Ayo Adebanjo, in Lekki, was also attended by the Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, and Afenifere National Publicity Secretary, Mr Yinka Odumakin.

Although it was learnt that the meeting was also called to reconcile former President Obasanjo and Gani Adams, Obasanjo said there was no rift between him and Adams to warrant any reconciliation.

The meeting, according to sources, was at the instance of Obasanjo to also discuss the future of Yorubaland following the rising wave of insecurity in the country.

Afenifere recently condemned the rising cases of insecurity in the region following the murder of a first-class traditional ruler in Ondo State, Oba Israel Adewusi.

Several kidnapping cases were last week recorded in the region with Afenifere calling for a rejig of the security architecture of the country.

Odumakin, who confirmed the meeting, said it was also to reconcile former President Obasanjo and Adams apart from the consideration of other issues found critical to Yoruba interests within Nigeria.

But Obasanjo in a statement in Abeokuta, Ogun State, by his media aide, Kehinde Akinyemi, said there was no rift to warrant reconciliation between him and Adams in the first place.

He, however, admitted that he had issues with Adams’ past way of life “which was not in accord with my standards and principles.”

He also noted that he had refused to grant Gani’s request to visit him both in and out of government.

News

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

Published

on

Executive Director of MURIC, Professor Ishaq Akintola

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

The University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT) has announced a ban on all academic and official activities during Sallah and other public holidays declared by the Federal Government. This decision follows objections raised by the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) regarding a field trip organized by the university on Eid al-Kabir, coinciding with this year’s celebration.

Prof. Ishaq Akintola, Director of MURIC, confirmed this development in a statement on Thursday night. He expressed satisfaction that UNIPORT responded positively to their objections and instructed all departments and faculties to strictly adhere to public holidays declared by the Federal Government.

“MURIC has confirmed that UNIPORT has instructed all departments and faculties to refrain from scheduling any official university programme or activity during Sallah and other public holidays declared by the FG,” Akintola stated.

READ ALSO:

He acknowledged the university’s acknowledgment that organizing the field trip on Eid al-Kabir and the subsequent public holidays was inappropriate. He clarified that MURIC does not seek apologies, legal action, or damages, emphasizing Islam’s principles of forgiveness and tolerance.

“We are not pursuing this campaign for personal reasons but to uphold the fundamental rights of Muslims wherever they are infringed upon. We hope other tertiary institutions will learn from this incident,” Akintola added.

He concluded by expressing hope that lessons learned from this incident would guide future decisions regarding religious observances and public holidays in educational institutions.

UNIPORT banning official activities during Sallah, public holidays satisfying – MURIC

Continue Reading

News

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

Published

on

Aminu Ado Bayero

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

The palace of the 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado-Bayero, has been marked for demolition by the State government.

The state governor, Abba Yusuf, ordered the demolition of the palace on Thursday.

The state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Haruna Dederi, disclosed the development while addressing newsmen on Thursday.

According to him, the demolition will allow for the renovation of the palace which will commence immediately.

Dederi also stated that the Commissioner of Police has been expressly told to evict Bayero from the Nasarawa GRA mini palace where he resides.

READ ALSO:

He said “concluded arrangements for the general reconstruction and renovation of the property including the demolishing and reconstruction of the dilapidated wall fence with immediate effect.”

The development marks a new turn in the tussle for the throne of the Emir of the ancient city.

The demolition order comes a few hours after the Federal High Court nullified the dethronement of Bayero.

The court ruled on its substantive suit validating the Kano Emirate Council Repeal Law 2024 but nullifying all actions of Governor Abba Yusuf following the passage of the law.

Kano govt orders Ado Bayero palace demolition after court order

Continue Reading

News

Sanusi remains Emir, says Kano govt despite court order

Published

on

Muhammadu Sanusi II

Sanusi remains Emir, says Kano govt despite court order

This is contained in the government’s reaction to a pronouncement by a Federal High Court on Thursday, June 20, 2024, nullifying the reinstallation of Sanusi to the throne.

Continue Reading

Trending