The National Defence College says it is time to introduce new ideas into the entire process of security in the country.
It stressed that security operatives should learn how to manage national emergencies.
Its Commandant, Rear Admiral Makanju Kadiri, stated this in Abuja at the national conference on ‘The Roles of Nigeria’s Security Agencies in the COVID-19 Pandemic Environment’, organised by the College and the Africa-Global Empowerment and Development Network (AGED-Network).
He said, “It has now become pertinent that we indeed need to raise awareness and understanding of how the security community should engage with citizenry, especially when it comes to managing national emergencies, like COVID-19 pandemic.
“It’s apparent that in this engagement, there’s a need for professionalism, accountability and restraint on the part of both parties.
“We’re also beginning to see that if we must indeed make a headway in the promotion of good relations between members of the security agencies and the general society, then we must begin to think seriously on enhancing and infusing new ideas into the entire process.”
President, AGED-Network, Bala Kontagora, commended the government of Qatar for $1bn support to procure modern scientific equipment for the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Navy, the Nigerian Air Force and the Nigeria Police Force.
Name govs stealing LG funds, Shehu Sani tells Buhari
A former Senator representing Kaduna Central District, Shehu Sani, has challenged President Muhammadu Buhari to name the governors ‘stealing’ local government funds in the country.
Buhari had blamed many state governments of sitting on the funds allocated to the local governments in their respective states, thereby frustrating the autonomy of the LGs and making it difficult for them to function well.
Sani made the appeal in a tweet via his verified Twitter account.
He wrote, “The President should have the courage to specifically mention those governors pocketing LG allocations rather than timid generalisation.”
Sani urged the President to be courageous in being explicit with the names of the governors involved in the reckless use of local council funds.
Buhari it will be recalled at a parley with graduands of Senior Executive Course No. 44 2022 of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies held at the Aso Villa in Abuja on Thursday accused some state governors of merely remitting a half of the funds allotted to local governments in their states.
He said, “Governors and local government officials who ‘pocket’, according to the President, public monies are to blame for the stalled development at the local governments.”
But the 36 state governors in the country have not made their position known on the development.
Keyamo Releases Tinubu’s American Visa, Knocks mischief-makers
Festus Keyamo, spokesman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council, has taunted critics of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the party’s flag bearer.
In a tweet on Saturday night, Keyamo also released an image of the American visa of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
“For mischief-makers who peddle unfounded rumours about @officialABAT being denied visa to the US, you leave us with no option but to show you his current visa (that has always been renewed since time immemorial). This is for the misguided ones who believe these rumours,” he wrote alongside the visa.
There were speculations that US denied Tinubu visa after his trip was postponed.
The APC Presidential Campaign Council had in a statement last week said that Tinubu will embark on foreign trips from December 4 to meet global leaders and pitch his Presidential aspiration.
In the statement posted on its Twitter handle, the campaign council disclosed that Tinubu and his delegation will be in London, USA, France, and key European Union member states to share his vision and plans and to also solicit the support of the Western powers for the democratic process that will usher in the new administration in Nigeria from May 29th, 2023.
- Actor Olaiya Igwe prays for Tinubu stark naked + Video, photo
- Ahead PDP Lagos presidential rally, Tambuwal, Okowa, Lamido visit Obasanjo
- Tyson Fury beats Chisora, retains WBC heavyweight title
It also stated that while in London, Tinubu will address the Chatham House, the United Kingdom’s elite Foreign and Policy Think-tank institution where he will speak on security, economy and foreign policy on Monday, December 5, 2022.
But the rumour mill was agog that Tinubu was denied entry into the US based on some allegations levelled against him.
However, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, an APC Chieftain who belongs to 1999-2007 set of governors like Tinubu, dismissed the rumour.
Orji Kalu claimed that the State Department of the US confirmed to him that Tinubu will be received in the third week of December.
In a Facebook post, he wrote, “As the election draws closer, the opposition will spread more fake news against our presidential candidate but we should always ignore and keep our eyes on the ball. The news that Tinubu was denied a visa to the USA is as fake as other fake news.
“Tinubu postponed the travel himself and was never denied a visa. The State Department of the US confirmed to me that Tinubu will be received in the third week of December. As the presidential candidate of our party with an outstanding personality, he will be warmly welcomed in the United States. OUK.”
UN announces plans to rescue Nigeria North-East from humanitarian crisis next year
North East Nigeria is one of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis zone, the United Nations has said.
The UN, noting that about 8.3 million devastated people will be in need of help in this part of Nigeria next year, has announced plans to launch a programme to offer succour to them in 2023.
Violent conflict, the climate crisis, disease, and other risks, according to the just launched Global Humanitarian Overview (GHO), are putting lives of the inhabitants of the area and a number of other identified places at risk.
The GHO provides an annual assessment of global humanitarian needs and how best to respond to them.
According to a statement by the GHO, early next year, the 2023 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) for Nigeria will be launched setting out detailed and prioritised plans for meeting the needs of affected people in North-East Nigeria, coordinated across United Nations agencies and NGO partners, as well as with the government of Nigeria.
Through this HRP, which is a part of the GHO, the humanitarian community will take collective action to save people’s lives and protect the most vulnerable.
It noted that the scale of suffering by women, men and children across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states remained undiminished, stressing that urgent action was needed now more than ever.
“The bravery, dedication, resilience and commitment of frontline staff, most working for NGO partners, who deliver the bulk of humanitarian assistance humbles me. Without them, we would not be able to support the Government in addressing humanitarian needs in Nigeria,” said the Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Matthias Schmale.
Horror as lovers bury their newborn baby alive in Jigawa
Name govs stealing LG funds, Shehu Sani tells Buhari
Eko Disco worker stabbed for disconnecting Lagos customer
CCECC completes Apapa port link to Lagos-Ibadan railway
Customs: Vehicle tariff reduction to begin next week
Biden, Treasury Secretary say Republicans COVID-19 aid too small
News6 days ago
24 hours after swearing-in, Adeleke dethrones three Osun monarchs
News7 days ago
Senate uncovers N200m fraud in Labour ministry payments
Uncategorized6 days ago
Lagos Fourth Mainland Bridge to have three tollgates, three bidders shortlisted
metro2 days ago
Gunmen attack mosque in Delta, abduct Imam, 11 worshippers injured
metro7 days ago
Ebonyi INEC office set on fire, PVCs, ballot boxes burnt
Business7 days ago
NNPC petrol price without subsidy is N400/litre – Marketers
metro7 days ago
NDLEA nabs wanted kingpin, Saudi-bound trafficker with cocaine in sandals
Auto5 days ago
Kia offers football fans fun, prizes, drive in latest EV in Qatar