Serial killer, David-West, sentenced to death by hanging – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Serial killer, David-West, sentenced to death by hanging

Published

on

A Port Harcourt-based high court has sentenced a serial killer, Gracious David-West, to death by hanging for murder of several women in hotels in Rivers, Imo and Lagos states.

The convict, who was charged with ten counts of murder and attempted murder, had earlier confessed to killing seven ladies, one in Lagos, another one in Owerri (Imo) and five in Rivers State.

He committed the crime between July and September, 2019 but his attempt to kill his 10th victim, Benita Etim, got him exposed and led to his arrest.

David-West after killing the ladies reportedly used white cloth to tie their hands and legs before making away with their valuables.

In his judgement, Justice Adolphus Enebeli said, “Gracious David-West should be hanged on his neck until he is dead.”

The court said the prosecution team was able to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt, having advanced and presented relevant evidence and witnesses before the court.

Justice Enebeli said the confession of David-West as well as the CCTV footage of the convict tendered by the prosecution team during the trial proved that he was guilty of the crime.

The court, however, discharged and acquitted the second defendant, Nimi Thankgod, who was accused of dumping the remains of one of the victims in a dustbin.

Lawyer to David-West, Vincent Chukwu, urged the court to be lenient with his client on the grounds that he is a father of three young children.

But the prosecuting lawyer, Chidi Ekeh, said David-West deserved no mercy for the multiple murder cases.

Ekeh also said the judgement would serve as a deterrent to other criminally-minded people.

 

 

News

Pro-Wike lawmakers suspend Fubara’s expenditure

Published

on

Governor Siminalayi Fubara

Pro-Wike lawmakers suspend Fubara’s expenditure

The factional Rivers State House of Assembly led by Martin Amaewhule has suspended all expenditures of Rivers Governor Siminalayi Fubara.

According to the lawmakers, the suspension subsists until Fubara represents the 2024 budget before the assembly.

Recall that the Amaewhule-led lawmakers had given a seven-day ultimatum for Fubara to re-present the budget. That ultimatum expired on Monday.

Reacting to the ultimatum, the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had described the Amaewhule-led group as “former lawmakers” bent on causing a crisis in the state, calling on the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

READ ALSO:

Moving a motion on Monday, factional Majority Leader, Major Jack brought the ultimatum to the House’s attention.

The lawmakers resolved to suspend the Rivers State Consolidated Revenue Account.

However, Fubara has refused to recognise the Amaewhule-led assembly, insisting on working with the three-member Assembly led by Hon. Victor Oko-Jumbo.

This is in spite of a Court of Appeal judgement invalidating a lower court ruling that barred the lawmakers from parading themselves as members of the Rivers assembly.

Pro-Wike lawmakers suspend Fubara’s expenditure

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Court okays Sanusi as Emir of Kano, permanently stops Bayero

Published

on

Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi and the deposed Emir Ado Bayero

BREAKING: Court okays Sanusi as Emir of Kano, permanently stops Bayero

A perpetual restraining order has been slammed on the dethroned Aminu Ado Bayero to stop parading himself as the Emir of Kano.

The restraining order was issued by Kano State High Court 17, presided over by Justice Amina Adamu Aliyu.

Four other dethroned Emirs, of Bichi, Rano, Gaya, and Karaye are also affected by the injunction as the court also restrained them from parading themselves as Emirs.

Delivering the judgment, Monday, the Court further restrained the 15th Emir of Kano and four other Emirs, themselves, servants, privies and any other persons appointed by them from parading themselves as Emirs of Kano, Bichi, Gaya, Rano, Karaye.

The judgment was consequent upon a suit filed by the Kano State government on the protracted royal tussle in the the State.

READ ALSO:

In the suit, the State had prayed the high court to stop the 15th Emir of Aminu Ado Bayero and four other Emirs of Karaye, Bichi, Rano and Gaya from parading themselves as Emirs.

The Government also gave the Deposed Emirs 48 hours within which to vacate their respective Palaces after being deposed.

However, the Presiding Judge, Justice Amina Adamu Aliyu, while delivering the judgement, said the issue of evicting the Deposed Emir, Aminu Ado Bayero from his Nassarawa palace is a Rent Tribunal matter and should not be before her court.

But in her judgement, the judge directed the Deposed Emir, Aminu Ado Bayero and four others to quickly hand over all the Emirate Traditional Royal Artifacts to the government and the substantive Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi ii.

Justice Amina Adamu Aliyu, also said the State Assembly Emirate Council Repealed Law 2024, was done according to the law as enshrined in section 4 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

She then ruled that the State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf’s assent to the law is also done perfectly according to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

BREAKING: Court okays Sanusi as Emir of Kano, permanently stops Bayero

Continue Reading

News

Samoa agreement: FG files complaint against Daily Trust, Ombudsman writes newspaper

Published

on

Minister of information and national orientation, Muhammad Idris

Samoa agreement: FG files complaint against Daily Trust, Ombudsman writes newspaper

The federal government has dragged Daily Trust Newspapers before the National Media Complaints Commission (NMCC), otherwise known as the Ombudsman, over its story on the Samoa agreement.

A statement by NMCC on Sunday acknowledged receipt of the federal government’s complaint and added that investigation into the matter had commenced.

The statement was signed by Emeka Izeze and Feyi Smith, chairman and interim secretary of NMCC, respectively.

It said that the federal government’s complaint, dated July 8, was signed by Dr. Ngozi Onwudiwe, permanent secretary of the federal ministry of information and national orientation, on behalf of the minister, Mohammed Idris.

The government, according to the statement, alleged that on July 4, 2024, Daily Trust newspaper published an article “containing false and misleading information that severely threatens national security”.

The statement said that in the complaint, the government alleged that “on July 4, 2024, Daily Trust newspaper published on its front page, a news item titled ‘LGBT: Nigeria Signs $150 Billion Samoa Deal”.

“In the report, it said that the government had endorsed a European Union (EU) partnership agreement (referred to as the “Samoa Agreement”), with member states of the Organisation of African, Caribbean, and Pacific States (OACPS).

It said that the agreement was signed “despite some conditional clauses that compel benefiting nations to support the agitations by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community for recognition”.

READ ALSO:

The government, according to the statement, described the report by Daily Trust newspaper as “false and misleading”.

It quoted the government as saying that, as a result of the alleged false report, “individuals and government officials have been subjected to hate speech, threats, intimidation, and cyberbullying across social media”.

According to the statement, the government is, therefore, asking the NMCC to intervene in the matter and, among other things, carry out a thorough investigation of the alleged misleading publication;

It also urged the Ombudsman to direct the newspaper’s management to publicly retract and correct the alleged false information, with equal prominence as the original article.

It also urged the NMCC to direct the management of Daily Trust newspaper to issue an unequivocal apology for “allegedly recklessly disseminating false information and implement stricter editorial guidelines to prevent a repeat of such alleged unwholesome report by any newspaper in the future”.

The NMCC said it had sent a formal acknowledgement letter, dated July 10, and signed by its interim secretary, Feyi Smith, to the ministry, informing it that the complaint was receiving the attention of the commission.

It said that the outcome would be duly communicated to the government.

“The management of Daily Trust will be contacted shortly for its response.

“As an independent media regulatory body, it is our duty to promote media adherence to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.

“We are also expected to ensure that the media operate in a free and unfettered environment,” the commission said.

It said that in accordance with the mandate and its established procedures, it had commenced an investigation into the government’s allegations.

“We assure the public that our inquiry will be thorough and impartial.

“We look forward to receiving the full cooperation of all parties involved and pledge to continue to ensure transparency throughout this process,” it said.

NMCC is an independent, multi-stakeholder co-regulatory body.

It was established by the Nigerian Press Organisations (NPO), made up of the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), and the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ).

It works in collaboration with the Guild of Corporate Online Publishers (GOCOP) and the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria (BON).

The NMCC is tasked with providing the public with an independent forum for resolving complaints about the press, resolving all complaints quickly, fairly and free of charge.

It is expected to do so, maintaining high standards of journalism practice, journalistic ethics and defending the freedom of the press and the rights of the people to know.

Samoa agreement: FG files complaint against Daily Trust, Ombudsman writes newspaper

Continue Reading

Trending