Trump, wife in self-isolation after testing positive for COVID-19 – Newstrends
Connect with us

News

Trump, wife in self-isolation after testing positive for COVID-19

Published

on

The United States President,
Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania, are in self-isolation after testing positive for coronavirus.
The US President confirmed on Twitter that he and the first lady had contracted COVID-19 and they are in quarantine.

He stated, “We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”

Mr Trump is expected to be in quarantine for two weeks while facing treatment for the disease, with his diagnosis coming just one month before the US election on 3 November, according to Sky News.

The President is 74 years old and his health records earlier this year showed he is categorised as obese, putting him at higher risk of serious complications from the virus.

Mr Trump’s physician Sean Conley said the President and first lady would remain at the White House during their period of isolation.

He said, “Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments.”
Writing on Twitter, Mrs Trump said, “As too many Americans have done this year, (the President) & I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19.

“We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.”

Trump on Thursday had said, ‘End of pandemic is in sight’

Mr Trump said he and his wife were self-isolating after Hope Hicks, one of his top aides, had contracted COVID-19.

Ms Hicks, who serves as a counsellor to the President, tested positive for the disease on Thursday, the day after she travelled with the President to a rally.

She is the closest aide to Mr Trump to test positive for coronavirus so far.

She had travelled with the President several times over the last week, including on presidential helicopter Marine One, and on Air Force One to Tuesday night’s first presidential debate.

Mr Trump had earlier appeared to blame soldiers and law enforcement officials for Ms Hicks contracting the virus.
He told Fox News, “It’s very, very hard when you are with people from the military or from law enforcement and they come over to you and they want to hug you and they want to kiss you.
“You get close and things happen.”
Several White House staff members have tested positive for the virus in recent months, including Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, and one of the president’s personal valets.
Mr Pence tweeted that he and and his wife Karen “send our love and prayers to our dear friends President Donald Trump and Melania Trump”.

“We join millions across America praying for their full and swift recovery,” he wrote. “God bless you President Trump & our wonderful First Lady Melania.

Why the President’s age and physical condition put him at higher risk from COVID-19
According to his White House schedule, the president was due to host a phone call on Friday on “COVID-19 support to vulnerable seniors”.
His positive test come as the virus continues to spread at an alarming rate in the US, even as Mr Trump has tried to downplay the threat of the disease.

More than 200,000 people have died in the US after contracting COVID-19 and more than seven million people in the country have been infected with the disease.

But Mr Trump has continued to hold campaign rallies which have drawn thousands of supporters during the pandemic.

Mr Trump addressed a packed rally in Duluth, Minnesota, on Wednesday
His diagnosis now throws into question the nature of the rest of the campaign, including the remaining two presidential debates.
The next debate is scheduled for 15 October in Miami.
Two days before testing positive, during the first debate, Mr Trump belittled his Democratic challenger Joe Biden for frequently wearing masks and not having campaign rallies that matched his own in size.

He continued to shake hands with visitors despite public health officials warning against it and also initially resisted being tested. Mr Trump also refused to wear a mask in public under almost all circumstances.

Trump’s COVID-19 bombshell puts US election in uncharted territory
In a statement, White House spokesman, Judd Deere said, “The President takes the health and safety of himself and everyone who works in support of him and the American people very seriously.”

Trump is not the only major world leader known to have contracted COVID-19.
Prime Minister of Britain
Johnson tested positive for the virus in March before being admitted to hospital the following month, while Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro was diagnosed with the illness in July.
Prime Minister Johnson, who spent time in intensive care with COVID-19 in April, said, “My best wishes to President Trump and the First Lady. Hope they both have a speedy recovery from coronavirus.”

News

Tinubu says new minimum wage ready for legislative action

Published

on

Tinubu says new minimum wage ready for legislative action

President Bola Tinubu said on Wednesday that an agreement had been reached on a new minimum wage between the Federal Government and organised labour.

He stated this in his national broadcast to mark the 2024 Democracy Day in Abuja.
Tinubu added that an executive bill would soon be sent to the National Assembly to legalise the new minimum wage.

He said, “We have negotiated in good faith and with open arms with organised labour on a new national minimum wage.

“We shall soon send an executive bill to the National Assembly to enshrine what has been agreed upon as part of our law for the next five years or less.”

He said his administration chose a democratic approach over dictatorship in addressing the demands of labour.

“In the face of labour’s call for a national strike, we did not seek to oppress or crack down on the workers as a dictatorial government would have done. We chose the path of cooperation over conflict.

“No one was arrested or threatened. Instead, the labour leadership was invited to break bread and negotiate toward a good-faith resolution. Reasoned discussion and principled compromise are hallmarks of democracy.

“These themes shall continue to animate my policies and interaction with the constituent parts of our political economy,” Tinubu said.

The President added, “I take on this vital task without fear or favour and I commit myself to this work until we have built a Nigeria where no man is oppressed.

“In the end, our national greatness will not be achieved by travelling the easy road. It can only be achieved by taking the right one.

“The words of the American President Franklin Roosevelt certainly ring true: There are many ways of going forward. But only one way of standing still.”

The labour had settled for N250,000 as new minimum wage, while the Federal Government team stayed on N62,000, both proposals were sent to President Tinubu at the close of negotiation on the issue.

This came after several failed meetings between the government and labour unions.

Continue Reading

News

Appeal Court rejects Kanu’s move to challenge IPOB’s proscription

Published

on

leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu with some of his lawyers

Appeal Court rejects Kanu’s move to challenge IPOB’s proscription

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has rejected an application by detained leader of the proscribed separatist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu seeking to be allowed to challenge the order proscribing the group.

In a judgment, the Court of Appeal upheld the argument by lawyer to the federal government, Oyin Koleosho, that the application filed for Kanu by his lawyer, Alloy Ejimakor, was inappropriate.

Kanu had, in the application, sought to be allowed to appeal, as an interested party, the January 18,  2018 ruling by Justice Abdu Kafarati of the Federal High Court, Abuja (now late) affirming his earlier ex-parte order of September 20, 2017 proscribing IPOB and designating it a terrorist group.

It was part of Kanu’s contention that, since the Fed Govt allegedly capitalised on the IPOB proscription order to charge him with belonging to, and leading a terrorist group, he was qualified as an interested party, who should be allowed to part of a pending appeal filed by IPOB against the order proscribing it.

In the judgment delivered on May 30, a certified true copy (CTC) of which The Nation saw on June 12, a three member panel of the Court of Appeal held that it was inappropriate for Kanu to have filed his application directly at the appellate court.

Justice Hamma Barka, in the lead judgment, held that, as an applicant seeking leave to appeal as an interested party, Kanu ought to first file his application before the Federal High Court, Abuja, whose decision he sought to appeal.

READ ALSO:

Justice Barka further held that Kanu’s failure to first file his application before the Federal High Court was a violation of Order 6 Rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Rules 2021.

He said: “In the instant case, it is apparent that no such leave was sought from the court below, thus, an affront to the provisions of Order 6 Rule 4 of the Court of Appeal Rules, 2021.

“This knocks off the present application as being incompetent, not capable of being granted.

“The consideration of all other issues canvased to my mind will amount to an academic exercise for which courts are enjoined not to embark upon, and for this singular reason, the application being incompetent is accordingly struck out.”

Upon an ex-parte motion by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), marked: FHC/AB)/CS/871/2017, Justice Kafarati had, in a ruling on September 20, 2017 ordered as follows:

*That an order declaring that the activities of the respondent (Indigenous People of Biafra) in any part of Nigeria, especially in the South east and South-South regions of Nigeria, either in groups or as individuals, amounts to acts of terrorism and illegality is granted.

*That an order proscribing the existence of the respondent (Indigenous People of Biafra) in any part of Nigeria, especially in the South east and South-South regions of Nigeria, either in groups or as individuals by whatever name they are called and publishing same in the official gazette and two national dailies, is granted.

*That an order restraining any person or group of persons from participating in any manner whatsoever in any form of activities involving or concerning the prosecution of the collective intention or otherwise of the respondent (Indigenous People of Biafra) under any other name or platform however called or described, is granted.

IPOB later applied to the court for it to set aside the orders, and in a ruling on January 18, 2018, Justice Kafarati dismissed IPOB’s application and affirmed his earlier orders proscribing the group and designating it a terrorist organisation.

IPOB subsequently lodged an appeal at the Court of Appeal, Abuja against the January 18, 2018 ruling.

It is the appeal, marked: CA/A/214/2018 that Kanu applied to be given permission to join as an interested party.

Appeal Court rejects Kanu’s move to challenge IPOB’s proscription

Continue Reading

News

No agreement reached with FG on new minimum wage, labour counters Tinubu

Published

on

No agreement reached with FG on new minimum wage, labour counters Tinubu

Organised Labour has rejected President Bola Tinubu’s claims that an agreement has been reached on new national minimum wages in his nationwide broadcast to make Democracy Day.

According to Organized Labour at the time negotiations ended on Friday, June 7, there was no agreement reached by the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage.

READ ALSO:

Rather, two figures such as N250,000 from Organised Labour and N62,000 from government and Organised Private Sector, OPS were arrived at and ought to have been submitted to the President.

In a statement by the Acting President of Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Prince Adewale Adeyanju, Labour noted that anything to the contrary was not only doctored but won’t be accepted by Labour.

No agreement reached with FG on new minimum wage, labour counters Tinubu

Continue Reading

Trending