Railway
We will make rail choice transport mode, says Buhari


President Buhari on Thursday inaugurated the standard gauge Lagos-Ibadan rail line with a promise to continue the transformation of the nation’s railway system and make it a preferred choice mode of transportation for passengers and freight.
He spoke at the Mobolaji Johnson Railway Station, Ebute Metta, Lagos, venue of the new rail line inauguration.
The 157-kilometre rail line runs from Apapa-Wharf in Lagos through Ogun State and terminates in Ibadan, Oyo State capital.
The President said the completion of the rail line project was “another milestone in the drive of this administration to revitalise the railway system and establish it as a choice mode of transportation for both passengers and freight.”
He said his administration would continue to prioritise the railway system as a transportation backbone that could transform industrial and economic activity in the country.
A statement by the Special Adviser to the President (Media & Publicity), Femi Adesina, reported the President as speaking on the benefits of the Lagos-Ibadan corridor as well as other ongoing railway projects across the country.
He said, “This vital line establishes an end-to-end logistic supply chain in railway transport within its short corridor, Lagos-Ibadan, as goods to the hinterland would now be transported by rail directly from the Apapa port quayside straight to the inland container depot located in Ibadan from where it can be distributed to other parts of the country.
“In clear recognition of the challenges posed to our economic growth by absence of strong and effective infrastructure, we have in the rail sector, further to other ongoing railway infrastructure projects, embarked on the completion of the outstanding segment of the Lagos-Kano railway, which is Ibadan-Kano.”
The President said the double line standard gauge rail would not just terminate in Kano but link Maradi in Niger Republic and the Nigerian ports, thus making the ports preferred choice by country’s neighbour for import and export.
Buhari said, “The Lagos-Kano railway project when completed will link the Kano – Maradi line at Kano and a rail link from the Nigeria southern ports of Lagos to Maradi in Niger Republic will be achieved.
‘‘The connection through rail would position Nigerian ports as the choice for import and export business of the people of landlocked Niger Republic.
“This would be beneficial to the economy through employment from new business opportunities and wealth creation.’’
The President expressed delight that his directive to the Federal Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Finance on reaching financial agreements with appropriate co-financiers to partner with the Federal Government for the development of the Ibadan – Kano railway was yielding results.
He noted that Ibadan-Kano project would have a connection to the Tin Can Island port as well as the West-East Coastal rail line from Lagos to Calabar linking Onitsha, Benin, Warri, Yenagoa, Port Harcourt, Aba and Uyo.
‘‘From the beginning of this administration, railway infrastructure development has been given the priority it deserves and various milestones have been reached, right from when the Abuja – Kaduna railway was flagged-off for commercial operation in 2016 to this Lagos – Ibadan railway project being commissioned today for full commercial operation,” he said.
He commended the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, and his “wonderful team in the ministry” for his drive and tenacity in achieving the milestone.
Earlier in his address, Amaechi had expressed profound gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari for summoning the courage to take the loan from China Exim Bank to execute the rail project.
He also thanked the Chinese government for the loan while expressing hope that the Asian country would also approve the loan for the Ibadan-Kano axis, stressing that the Buhari administration planned to start and complete the project before the end of its tenure.
He said, “We are grateful that the Chinese government through the China Exim Bank was able to give us the loan at a concessionary rate to construct from the seaport down to Ibadan. We hope that we get money to be able to construct from Ibadan to Kano so that we can complete the track and make sure that business takes place.”
The minister expressed satisfaction with the cooperation enjoyed from Lagos, Ogun and Oyo state governments, stressing that in Ogun alone, over 1,000 houses were demolished in the course of the rail line construction.
Ibrahim Alhassan Musa, the Chairman of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, in his remarks, recalled that the infrastructure development project had faced many challenges in the course of its execution and delivery.
He noted that without the full support and steadfast with encouragement of President Buhari, the project would not have been completed.
He also expressed thanks to the Nigerian Ports Authority, NNPC, Lagos State Ministry of Transportation, LAMATA, Lagos Water Corporation, Oil Serve, whose cooperation facilitated the timely completion of the project.
The highpoint of the event was that the President Buhari took a train ride from Ebute Metta station to Energy Nature Light (ENL), Terminal, Apapa Port, Lagos.
He was joined by the Speaker House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State, Governors of Ekiti, Oyo, Ogun and the deputy governor of Ondo, the Minister of Transportation, the Minister of State Transportation, Sen. Gbemisola Saraki, other ministers as well as some government officials.
Railway
Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
Railway track vandalism: Urgent need for laws prohibiting scrap/metal picking to protect critical assets
By Onyedikachi Stanley Onovo
The wanton destruction and theft of Nigeria’s railway infrastructure and other critical public assets represent one of the gravest threats to national development and security.
Across the nation—from the Warri-Itakpe line to Abuja-Kaduna, the Eastern and Western Districts, Lagos-Ibadan, and throughout the Northern network—vandals systematically dismantle tracks, steal armoured cables, and pillage essential equipment. This crisis demands an immediate and robust legislative response.
The unending menace
The vandalism is perpetrated by a network of individuals, from local miscreants (“iron condemn”) to organised merchants who purchase and export stolen materials. Security reports and countless arrests underscore the scale of the problem:
In December 2023, a private security firm arrested 13 suspects for vandalising Abuja Mass Transit Rail assets. The suspects were said to be casual workers engaged by a Chinese company working on the railways, but said to have used the opportunity to steal the materials.
On June 2024, The Cable reported that the Nigerian Army arrested 47 suspected rail track vandals in Kaduna State.
In October 2025, police arrested a suspect vandalising railway electrical installations also in Kaduna State.
Radio Nigeria in December 2025 announced the arrest of three persons in Kwara State for vandalizing and stealing Railway clips and nuts in Offa.
In May 2021, TVC reported some individuals, including one Ejike Okeke were apprehended in Enugu with stolen sleepers and tracks.
On the 30th of January 2026 the Nigerian Television Authority reported that the NSCDC, Bauchi State Command arrested five suspects and intercepted a truck carrying vandalized railway tracks.
This relentless assault has plagued successive management of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), defying conventional counter-strategies.
A transformative leadership initiative
A pivotal shift began under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu with the appointment of Dr. Kayode Opeifa as Managing Director/CEO of the NRC.
Dr. Opeifa introduced a fundamental paradigm shift by redesignating what was carelessly termed “scrap” as “unserviceable critical national assets.”
This reframing has driven a transformative partnership with experts to manage these assets responsibly. The era of controversial public auctions—which often saw valuable national iron assets disappear, depriving Nigeria of materials for repurposing and industrialisation—is now over.
Today, a systematic process ensures these materials are reused or responsibly processed, with revenue reinvested into the Corporation. This home-grown solution is a commendable breakthrough that proves Nigerians can effectively solve national challenges.
The critical legislative gap: Targeting the market
While the NRC’s internal reforms are laudable, they alone cannot stem the tide. The root enabler of this vandalism is the thriving, unregulated market for stolen metal. To kill the vandal’s incentive, we must eradicate the demand.
Therefore, there is an urgent need for the National Assembly to enact legislation that:
1. Prohibits the buying and selling of any railway materials (serviceable or unserviceable) on the open market.
2. Imposes severe penalties on buyers and merchants of vandalised public assets, effectively targeting the economic drivers of this crime.
3. Mandates stringent federal regulation of all scrap metal dealers nationwide.
THE SCRAP DEALER NEXUS
The opaque operations of scrap dealers are a major concern. Their compounds are often shrouded, hiding the provenance of their materials. This unregulated space fuels not only railway vandalism but also community theft—from iron crossing bars in homes to street lamp holders.
Trailers loaded with questionable materials move freely from cities and expressways to unknown destinations. Without regulating this sector, our fight against vandalism remains superficial.
CONCLUSION
The partnership and innovation under Dr. Opeifa’s leadership at the NRC demonstrate what is possible with commitment and vision.
However, to secure our railways, power installations, and other critical assets, we must complement this institutional resolve with strong, deterrence-based law. Legislation that dismantles the market for stolen public property is not an option; it is a national imperative for Nigeria’s security and industrial future.
*Onyedikachi Stanley Onovo, Ph.D
FCAI, ANIPR
onyedikachionovo1@gmail.com excellentdikachi@yahoo.com
Entertainment
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
A team of leading Nigerian artistes and entertainment executives has paid a courtesy visit to the Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Kayode Opeifa, ahead of the 2026 Valentine Love Train experience.
The delegation included celebrated musician Sunny Neji, Managing Director of Ojez Entertainment Limited, Joseph Odobeatu, and veteran vocalist Yinka Davies.
The high-profile visit formed part of final preparations for the Valentine-themed train ride scheduled for Saturday, February 14, 2026, at the Mobolaji Johnson Train Station.
Dr. Opeifa received the artistes and commended the creative industry for choosing the national rail system as the venue for the annual Valentine event. He noted that the partnership reflects growing public confidence in the corporation’s safety standards, operational improvements, and renewed focus on customer experience.
READ ALSO:
- 2027 General Elections: INEC Announces February 20 for Presidential Poll
- EFCC Nabs Three in Borno Over Viral ₦500 Naira Mutilation Video
- Omokri Accuses El-Rufai of Rights Abuses During Kaduna Governorship
“The 2026 edition aims to deliver an unforgettable experience while deepening public engagement with the rail service,” Opeifa said, reaffirming the NRC’s commitment to providing secure and efficient transport for passengers during special events.
Organisers disclosed that this year’s edition will feature an expanded entertainment lineup, including performances and appearances by Charles Inojie, Yinka Davies, Sunny Neji, and Segun Arinze. Guests are expected to enjoy live music, comedy, a couple’s game show, fashion showcases, and special performances throughout the Lagos–Ibadan–Lagos train ride, culminating in a Valentine banquet ball.
The Valentine Love Train has in recent years become a fixture on the NRC’s festive calendar, attracting couples, families, and leisure seekers with its blend of travel, romance, and entertainment. The initiative also aligns with ongoing efforts by the corporation to promote rail transportation as a viable and enjoyable alternative for intercity travel.
With final logistics being fine-tuned, organisers say the 2026 edition promises to combine safety, comfort, and premium entertainment for participants.
NRC, Entertainers Finalise Plans for 2026 Valentine Train Ride
Railway
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
The Lagos State Government has taken steps to address persistent flooding within the Ebute-Meta railway corridor and adjoining communities with the construction of a major stormwater drainage channel in collaboration with the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
The NRC said the state government had awarded a contract for the construction of the Carter-Railway Channel, also known as System 4, aimed at deflooding the railway compound as well as parts of Olaleye and neighbouring areas within Lagos Mainland Local Government Area.
The reinforced concrete drainage channel will run from Murtala Muhammed Way in Ebute-Meta through the railway corridor to a discharge point at Iponri on Western Avenue.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ meeting held at the railway premises, the Director of Drainage Services at the Lagos State Ministry of Environment and Water Resources, Engr.
READ ALSO:
- Outrage Mounts Over ‘Ministry of Sex’ Proposal Ahead of General Election
- Nollywood in Mourning as Family Confirms Death of Actress Aunty Ajara
- Kwankwaso Condemns Kwara Massacre, Calls for Strong Federal Response to Terrorism
Adedapo Ajadi, said the project would permanently address the perennial flooding that has affected residents, institutions and businesses in the area for years. He added that construction work is expected to last about 18 months and urged stakeholders to cooperate with contractors to ensure smooth execution.
Stakeholders at the meeting included representatives of St Saviour’s School, NTA Channel 10, the Railway Museum, Federal Medical Centre Ebute-Meta, CCECC quarters, churches, mosques, as well as industrial and small business operators within the railway corridor.
Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation, Dr Kayode Opeifa, described the intervention as timely, assuring that the corporation would give full support to the multi-billion-naira project.
He noted that the infrastructure, when completed, would significantly reduce flooding and improve safety within the railway environment and neighbouring communities.
Some stakeholders welcomed the development, saying annual flooding had disrupted academic, medical and commercial activities in the area and posed risks to lives and property.
Officials of the Lagos State Government and the NRC later carried out a joint inspection of the proposed corridor to assess the alignment and identify areas that may be affected before construction begins.
LASG Moves to End Years of Flooding in Ebute-Meta Railway Corridor
-
Politics1 day agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
Politics2 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
-
metro2 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Education1 day agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow


