metro
No Terrorist Base in South-West Forests, School Attack Isolated — DHQ
No Terrorist Base in South-West Forests, School Attack Isolated — DHQ
The Defence Headquarters, DHQ, has dismissed fears of an organised terrorist presence in forests across Nigeria’s South-West, describing recent attacks on schools in Oyo State as isolated criminal incidents rather than evidence of an established terror network.
Director of Defence Media Operations, Major-General Michael Onoja, made the clarification on Tuesday while reacting to the attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and LA Primary School in Ogbomoso, all located in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The attacks reportedly left two persons dead, while at least 45 pupils, a school principal and several teachers were abducted by gunmen. One of the kidnapped teachers was later killed while in captivity, further heightening concerns over insecurity in the region.
Onoja said the military had previously conducted extensive clearance operations within the Old Oyo National Park and surrounding forest areas, significantly weakening criminal gangs operating within the axis.
According to him, available intelligence reports do not support claims that terrorist groups have established permanent operational bases in forests or hinterlands across the South-West.
“The recent incidents in Oyo State are isolated criminal acts and should not be interpreted as evidence of an entrenched terrorist structure in the South-West region,” he said.
He added that troops and other security agencies had sustained surveillance, patrol and intelligence-driven operations across vulnerable communities and forest corridors to prevent criminal elements from regrouping.
The DHQ spokesperson assured residents that the Armed Forces remained committed to protecting lives and property while working with state governments and local security networks to combat kidnappings and banditry.
- FG Suspends Planned Closure of Eko Bridge After Fresh Safety Review
- Mother Seeks Help to Raise N14.5m for Son’s Kidney, Arm Surgery
- Court Adjourns UI–ISI Hijab Appeal Hearing to May 21
Security concerns in parts of the South-West have intensified in recent months following increasing cases of abduction along highways, attacks on farming communities and criminal activities linked to armed gangs operating in forest reserves.
The latest school attacks sparked fresh fears among residents and community leaders, with some groups warning against the possible infiltration of terrorist elements into the region.
We’re Ready to Deploy Seven Million Warriors — Gani Adams
Meanwhile, the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland and National Coordinator of the Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, Iba Gani Adams, has declared that Yoruba groups are prepared to mobilise millions of local warriors to support the fight against insecurity if officially invited by government authorities.
Adams said the Yoruba people would not fold their arms in the face of worsening insecurity, insisting that the region possesses the manpower, local intelligence and historical experience needed to confront criminal elements.
“We are ready to deploy seven million warriors if necessary, but there must be proper collaboration and official authorisation,” he said.
The OPC leader described the current security challenges as a form of guerrilla warfare, noting that criminal gangs now attack communities, markets and highways unpredictably rather than operating only at night.
According to him, about 14 affiliated Yoruba self-determination and community-based groups under his network have structures spread across the South-West and are willing to assist security agencies.
Adams disclosed that the OPC and related groups had repeatedly sought formal collaboration with South-West governors and federal authorities but had yet to receive official approval.
He recalled that previous partnerships between OPC operatives and security agencies helped reduce cult violence, armed robbery and kidnappings in parts of Lagos and neighbouring states before cooperation weakened due to disagreements with some security institutions.
The Yoruba leader stressed that any return to active field operations by OPC members would require clear coordination mechanisms to avoid clashes with conventional security agencies.
Security analysts say the growing calls for community-based security collaboration reflect increasing pressure on federal security forces amid rising cases of kidnappings and violent crimes nationwide.
No Terrorist Base in South-West Forests, School Attack Isolated — DHQ
![]()
metro
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled separate terrorist abduction attempts in Zamfara State, rescuing civilians and neutralising an improvised explosive device (IED) planted along a major road.
The operations, conducted on August 17, 2026, occurred at different locations in the state as security forces intensified efforts to protect civilians, secure major roads and disrupt the activities of terrorist groups in Zamfara.
The Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, disclosed the development in a statement issued on August 17.
Danja said troops of Sector 2 responded to an abduction incident along the Gurusu–Anka Road after receiving information about the attack.
According to him, the troops pursued the terrorists, forcing them to abandon their captives and flee into the surrounding area.
The military officer said the operation resulted in the rescue of seven victims comprising four women and three children.
He added that all seven victims were rescued unharmed.
The rescue came amid continuing security concerns along major roads in Zamfara, where armed groups have repeatedly targeted motorists and passengers.
READ ALSO:
- ‘No Electoral Agreement with ADC’ – Adeleke Rejects Collaboration Claims, Credits God
- Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
- Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
In a separate operation around Magazu Village in Tsafe Local Government Area, troops responded to information that terrorists were attempting to abduct motorists.
The troops moved swiftly to the area and engaged the attackers, forcing them to abandon their victims and escape into nearby bushes.
Danja said some of the rescued victims sustained gunshot wounds during the incident and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for treatment.
The Magazu axis has previously witnessed similar incidents, making the area a major security concern for residents and road users.
Earlier reports indicated that troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA had rescued 33 passengers abducted by terrorists around the Magazu area after engaging the attackers and forcing them to abandon their victims.
Meanwhile, troops also responded to the discovery of a terrorist-planted IED along the Gurusu–Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
The military said the area was immediately secured while an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was deployed to handle the explosive device.
The team successfully neutralised the IED, preventing potential casualties among soldiers, motorists and other road users.
The discovery highlights the continuing security threat posed by explosive devices along some roads in Zamfara State, particularly routes used by civilians and security personnel.
The latest operations formed part of ongoing efforts by Operation FANSAN YAMMA to maintain security across its Joint Operations Area and prevent terrorists from freely operating in vulnerable communities and along major transportation routes.
Danja said the successful interventions demonstrated the vigilance and responsiveness of troops in protecting civilians, securing communities and keeping major routes safe from terrorist activities.
He said the Theatre Command would continue to maintain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area and deny them the freedom to threaten innocent citizens.
The command also urged members of the public to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with timely and credible information about suspicious movements and activities.
The latest operations underscore the importance of intelligence-led military action in tackling kidnapping and terrorism in Zamfara, particularly along routes that have repeatedly come under attack.
Zamfara: Troops rescue seven women, children from terrorists
![]()
metro
Palliative Care, Not Abandonment: Doctor Clears the Air on Ogogo’s Stage-Four Cancer Treatment
metro
Lagos Pensioners Give Sanwo-Olu 19-Day Ultimatum: Implement Wage Award or Face ‘Mother of All Protests’
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal thrash Man City 3-0 to win Community Shield
-
metro1 day agoCustoms Names Importers of 399 Pump-Action Rifles, Hands Over Weapons to NSA Office
-
metro2 days agoPolice to prosecute Kogi man for allegedly setting wife ablaze
-
metro2 days agoNDLEA arrests businessman with cocaine, seizes N3.6bn drugs in Lagos
-
Politics2 days agoBreaking: Adeleke Crushes APC’s Oyebamiji, Wins Second Term in Osun
-
Politics3 days agoOsun election: Adeleke widens lead as Oyinlola, Omisore lose polling units
-
metro1 day agoOsun Woman Found Dead With Severed Wrist Inside Church
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Atiku’s suit seeking Tinubu’s disqualification meets deadline, faces procedural hurdle
