Education
Lagos school fence collapses, kills two children
Two children, Samat Saheed and a yet-to-be-identified girl, have lost their lives when the fence of a school, Covenant Point Academy, collapsed on them at Ajose Street, in the Amukoko area of Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the nine-year-old girl was walking past the front of the school to link her destination in the area while three-year-old Samat was playing around the fence of the school, close to his mother’s shop when the fence collapsed suddenly on them.
Our correspondent gathered that as the fence caved in on the minors, its impact crushed Samat’s head, killing him instantly, while the nine-year-old girl lost consciousness and reportedly died shortly after the incident.
Speaking with our correspondent, an eyewitness, Ganiyu Ayeloja, said residents, who were traumatised over the incident, informed the police, adding that the owner of the school had been arrested.
He said, “The police came around and they arrested the owner of the school building. The building has no pillars, they just stacked blocks. The building was not well structured at all; there was no wiring, no pillar, and nothing to hold the building together that’s why it fell easily.
“It is unfortunate that the two children were around that area when it collapsed. One of the children’s parents had a shop close to the school building, that was why he was there and his parents were immediately alerted.
“The Oba of Ijora land was called to the incident yesterday and everyone is sympathising with the deceased families. People from the Lagos State Building Control Agency came to inspect the building this morning (Sunday).”
READ ALSO:
- Women for BAT-KASH 2023 mobilise 10.6m votes for Tinubu
- Legal crisis looms in APC over stripping NWC of NEC powers
- Tension over delay in appointment of Offa Poly rector
Another resident, Akinniyi Akinwale, said the nine-year-old girl was running errands when the tragic incident befell her, adding that when she didn’t return home, her parents started searching for her but were informed that the fence of the building claimed her life.
He said, “The wall in front of the school just fell on both of them. The girl who died was sent on an errand to that street, so no one knew her parents there but she was taken to the hospital after the incident and it wasn’t until night time when her parents started looking for her that they were informed of her death.”
A source told our correspondent that Samat was buried immediately after the incident.
The Head, Public Affairs, Lagos State Building Control Agency, Adetayo Asagba, when contacted, said she was not aware of the incident.
The Lagos State Territorial Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, also said he was not aware of the incident.
However, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident.
He said, “Two children died, the owner of the building has been arrested.”
Reacting to the development, the immediate Past President of the Nigerian Institute of Building, Kunle Awobodu, said blocks used to construct buildings nowadays were very weak and substandard as he urged site engineers, developers, among others to desist from using substandard materials.
He said, “This is quite unfortunate. Those of us in the construction industry have laid emphasis on the threat of natural force or pressure on buildings, to withstand such natural pressure especially in an area that is exposed to strong winds, there is a need to introduce columns.
“Pillars are referred to as reinforced columns to enable fences to withstand the natural force being generated by the wind. Constructing coping is necessary on top of these fences so that persistent rainfall does not have an extreme impact on the stability of the fence.
READ ALSO:
- Ifeanyi Ubah Escapes, Orderlies, Aides Gunned Down In Anambra
- Passenger Robs Okada Rider With Toy Gun In Ogun
- We’ll retire political tourist Atiku to Dubai, says Shettima
“Many of the blocks used to construct buildings nowadays are very weak and substandard; they are usually six inches and 150ml in thickness which is unable to withstand wind pressure that makes it important for all of us to be more vigilant.”
Awobodu said the tragedy that claimed the lives of the minors was a clarion call to everyone not to underestimate the standard required for a fence, and to shun using substandard materials when building.
“What has happened shows that the stability of the fence is crucial to avoid calamities of this nature. This is not the first time a fence has collapsed and taken lives, so urgent attention should be drawn to it.
“It’s a warning for landlords, developers and building owners to construct fences that will adequately protect the habitat and property,” Awobodu said.
PUNCH Metro had reported a series of building and structural collapses that claimed the lives of residents in the state.
On August 21, 2022, two children died in a building collapse at Adeleye Street, Lady Lark, Bariga area of the state.
Also, on September 5, 2022, a seven-storey building under construction collapsed at Oba Idowu Oniru Street, in the Lekki area of the state and killed six persons.
However, amid expert criticisms of developers, among others, for using substandard materials and not conforming to standard building regulations in the state, a recent statement by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, confirmed the resignation of the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr Idris Salako.
Punch
Education
Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
The University of Abuja (UniAbuja), now renamed Yakubu Gowon University, has expelled 28 students and revoked certificates of 15 graduates following findings of serious academic and disciplinary violations.
The decision was made at the 191st Regular Meeting of the University Senate held on Thursday, January 28, 2026, after reviewing reports and recommendations from the Student Disciplinary Committee (SDC).
Reasons for Expulsion and Certificate Withdrawal
According to a statement signed by Dr. Habib Yakoob, Acting Director of Information and University Relations, the students were found guilty of offences including threats to life, physical assault, examination malpractice, conspiracy, burglary, theft, cult-related activities, possession and use of hard drugs, and falsification of O’Level results submitted during admission. Some students also failed to appear before the committee despite repeated invitations.
The 15 graduates had their certificates withdrawn for similar non-compliance, rendering their credentials null and void. Meanwhile, nine students were cleared after investigations, and 33 others received formal warnings for infractions including conspiracy, hostel racketeering, and fighting.
READ ALSO:
- Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority
- FCT Council polls: APC Wins Four Chairmanship Seats as PDP Takes Gwagwalada
- Dangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
University’s Commitment to Discipline
The Vice-Chancellor and Chairman of Senate, Professor Hakeem Babatunde Fawehinmi, reaffirmed the university’s dedication to maintaining a safe, disciplined, and conducive learning environment. He emphasised that academic integrity is a core principle and that violations would be sanctioned without compromise.
Professor Fawehinmi praised the SDC for its thorough and diligent handling of cases and urged students to conduct themselves responsibly to safeguard their academic futures. He also highlighted ongoing university initiatives, including student engagement, counselling, and orientation programmes, aimed at preventing misconduct and promoting responsible citizenship and academic excellence.
The university described the actions as part of a zero-tolerance approach to misconduct, reinforcing its commitment to upholding high moral and academic standards on campus.
Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
Education
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has clarified that candidates are not required to remove their hijab during the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) registration process.
The examination body issued the clarification following the circulation of a viral video alleging that a Muslim candidate was compelled to remove her hijab before capturing her biometric photograph at a registration centre.
In a statement addressing the controversy, JAMB dismissed claims of a policy prohibiting the use of hijab, describing such reports as misleading. The board reiterated that it respects candidates’ religious rights and does not mandate the removal of religious head coverings during registration.
READ ALSO:
- ₦13.7bn Payroll Fraud Claim Pits Audit Firm Against Osun Government
- Breaking: INEC Declares APC’s Joshua Ishaku Winner of Bwari Chairmanship Election
- FCT Poll: APC’s Maikalangu Wins AMAC Chairmanship as Collation Continues
However, JAMB explained that during biometric data capture, candidates may be asked to adjust their head coverings slightly to ensure that key facial features are visible for proper identification. According to the board, this requirement is strictly for technical purposes and aligns with standard identification procedures used in official documentation processes.
The board emphasized that the adjustment does not equate to a ban on hijabs, noting that clear visibility of facial features is necessary to meet biometric verification standards and prevent identity-related issues.
JAMB urged the public to disregard misinformation and advised candidates and parents to seek clarification through official communication channels to avoid unnecessary panic.
The clarification comes amid growing public interest in ensuring that examination procedures remain inclusive while maintaining the integrity of the registration and identification process.
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
Education
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow

Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher Solanke Francis Taiwo with Car and Bungalow
The Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, has honoured Mr Solanke Francis Taiwo, a primary school teacher at Ansa‑Ur‑Deen Main School I, Kemta Lawa, Abeokuta, with a brand new car and a two‑bedroom bungalow in recognition of his achievement as Nigeria’s Overall Best Primary School Teacher for the 2025/2026 academic year.
The presentation took place at the Governor’s Office in Oke‑Mosan, Abeokuta, with the Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Prof Abayomi Arigbagbu, and the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr Oloko, in attendance. The gifts were part of a broader effort to motivate teachers, reward professional excellence, and highlight the state’s education reforms.
Speaking at the event, Prof Arigbagbu said the award demonstrates the effectiveness of the Ogun State Education Revitalisation Agenda, which is built on six pillars including curriculum enhancement, school administration, innovation, infrastructure, funding, and teachers’ welfare. “When you do things consistently and efficiently, you record results. This same teacher won the Ogun State Best Teacher Award in October before clinching the national award in Abuja. This confirms that our education sector has been truly revitalised,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Police Bust Gang Armoury, Arrest Two Suspects in Delta
- Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
- Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom

Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher Solanke Francis Taiwo with Car and Bungalow
He highlighted the state’s successes in national competitions, including the JETS contests, where Ogun students won 18 out of 24 awards in one year, with a single student claiming nine prizes. The commissioner also noted that Ogun’s Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) model and education digitisation initiatives have attracted attention from other states and received commendation from the Federal Government and the National Board for Technical Education.
Governor Abiodun reaffirmed his commitment to teacher development, pledging continuous support through workshops, seminars, digital learning platforms, and AI-powered instructional tools. He said the gifts of a car and bungalow are intended to inspire other educators to strive for excellence and innovation in their teaching.
In his remarks, Mr Solanke expressed gratitude to the governor and the education ministry for fostering an enabling environment for teaching and learning. He vowed to continue improving student learning outcomes and collaborating with colleagues to ensure that Ogun State remains a leader in education excellence.
“I feel fulfilled and honoured. I will continue to give my best and encourage fellow teachers to remain dedicated to nurturing the potential of every student,” he said.
The recognition of Mr Solanke reflects Ogun State’s strategic investment in education, commitment to teacher welfare, and the effectiveness of policies that have positioned the state as a model for academic excellence in Nigeria.
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Business13 hours agoDangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Education1 day agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
News3 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International3 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
Politics7 hours agoTinubu Hails Wike as APC Dominates 2026 FCT Area Council Elections
-
Education2 days agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Entertainment2 days agoTacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication


