Aviation
Customs ground bank’s jet over unpaid import duty
Customs ground bank’s jet over unpaid import duty
The Nigeria Customs Service has grounded a United States-registered Gulfstream G650ER jet belonging to a leading Nigerian bank over unpaid import duty.
This, according to a PUNCH report signalled the commencement of government’s clampdown on owners of private jets over unpaid import duty running into billions of naira.
The development came barely two weeks after the NCS began a one-month verification of private jet owners in the country.
The exercise, which began on June 19, 2024, is expected to end on July 19, 2024.
In a public notice by the Customs, the exercise aims to identify private jet operators that have illegally imported aircraft into the country without paying the necessary import duties.
The customs had recovered about N2bn into the government coffers when a similar exercise was carried out in 2019.
At least 80 private jet owners are expected to present their import documents and aircraft certificate of registration to the Customs in Abuja during the one-month exercise.
Although the grounding of private jets which fail to pay the necessary import duty is expected to begin after the one-month Customs verification exercise, findings showed that moves by some operators to export their aircraft might have forced the NCS to begin the clampdowns on some private jet operators.
The Nigeria Customs Service had last week said some operators of foreign registered private jets were temporarily flying their aircraft out of the country apparently in a bid to evade the exercise.
However, findings by The PUNCH on Sunday disclosed that a luxury Gulfstream G650ER plane belonging to a tier-1 bank had been grounded at Lagos airport over unpaid import duties reportedly estimated at N1.9bn.
READ ALSO:
- Ex-Konga boss Nick Imudia didn’t commit suicide – Family
- Four terrorists killed, one surrenders weapons to military in Borno
- Katsina gov queries district heads who shunned Sallah celebration
It was learnt that the NCS had written the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority and the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency asking them to cancel the flight clearance approval given to the private aircraft.
Our correspondent gathered that the agencies had received the letters to distrain the US-registered Gulfstream G650ER with registration number N331AB and manufacturer’s serial number 6487.
The bank is reportedly owing about N1.9bn in unpaid import duties to the government on two formerly owned private jets (Gulfstream G450 and Gulfstream G550 aircraft), which according to sources have since been taken out of the country.
It was also understood that the assessment of N1.9bn was based on a verification exercise carried out by the NCS in 2021.
It was learnt that going by the current exchange rate, the N1.9bn might be raised to about N6bn. Aircraft import duties are computed based on prevailing exchange rate.
NCAA and NAMA officials said they had received the cancellation of the previously granted flight clearance approval for the Gulfstream G650ER aircraft.
According to the letter, the luxury aircraft which cost over $65m, was found to have contravened the Federal Government’s import duty regulations and as such denied the necessary Export Permit by the Customs Service Area Command at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos.
A copy of the letter written to the NCAA and NAMA, which was sighted by one of our correspondents, was titled “Re: cancellation of flight clearance approval for Gulfstream G650ER with registration N331AB and manufacturer’s serial number 6487.”
The letter read in part, “The above subject matter refers. The Nigeria Customs in its drive for enhanced revenue collection decided to do a verification exercise on private airlines operating in Nigeria.
“The verification aims to identify privately owned aircraft that were inappropriately imported into the country. This will enable the Service to perfect these Imports and collect revenue accruable to the Federal Government.
“The above-cited aircraft has been found to have contravened the Federal Government’s import duty regulations and as such denied Export Permit by the Customs Service (MMIA Command).
“In furtherance to the above, we are soliciting your kind co-operation and assistance to deny flight clearance approval”
The Comptroller General, NCS, Adewale Adeniyi, had two weeks ago said a good number of private jets were leaving the country as the verification began.
Adeniyi, who disclosed this while speaking in an interview with Arise Television, stated that since the exercise started, only a few owners have shown up.
“Very few of them (private jet operators) have showed up for verification and we gather intelligence that a good number of them are leaving Nigeria since the announcement was given because they would not want to be verified,” he said.
The CGC explained that the service introduced the private jet verification exercise because more private jets were operating outside the ambits of the law.
“We have seen so many of these aircraft flying and our record tends to show that only a few of them have shown up to pay duty and this is why we are bringing this verification up,” he said.
The CGC disclosed that data obtained from the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority revealed that though many private jets were operating in the country, only a few had paid customs duties.
Adeniyi explained that when the exercise started sometime in 2019, the service realised N2bn.
“Recall this was not the first time we did it. We did something close to this in 2019 and the exercise fetched us as much as N2bn within the short time that we did it.
“We discovered that there are more private jets that are operating in Nigeria but have not been brought under the ambit of the law. So the data that we got from the NCAA shows that only very few of them paid customs duty to operate in Nigeria,” he stated.
According to the customs boss, the international aviation regulations show that private jets flying in the country are obliged to pay duty.
“If they are here for a brief period in the Nigerian airspace and return, they are not obliged to pay any duty; that is, if they are here on a temporary importation visit. But once they are here and are used within Nigeria, they are liable to pay duty,”
The CGC reiterated that the verification exercise was meant to confirm “aircraft operating within the ambit of the law and those that are operating outside the law.”
READ ALSO:
- Bandits abduct traditional ruler, others in Kaduna
- Toyota Nigeria delights customers at maiden Toyota Motor Show (with photos)
- How I killed UNIBEN graduate, eight others – Suspect
According to a Customs notice, private aircraft owners are expected to bring some documents for the verification exercise, namely aircraft Certificate of Registration, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority’s Flight Operation Compliance Certificate, NCAA’s Maintenance Compliance Certificate, NCAA’s Permit for Non-Commercial Flights, and Temporary Import Permit (if applicable).
The latest clampdowns on operators of improperly imported private jets came more than one year after the Federal Government suspended the action.
In the past three years, the government had planned to recover import duty running into billions of naira from some private jet operators who had used certain technical loopholes to evade the payment of import duty.
A few private jet owners paid the mandatory import duty after the Hameed Ali-led NCS took some significant steps to recover the revenue. However, several owners and operators of private jets in the country have yet to pay the statutory duty.
Many private aircraft operators in the country have allegedly explored technical loopholes in the regulation to fraudulently obtain a Temporary Import Permit from the Nigeria Customs Service instead of paying the statutory import duty on their imported aircraft.
The TIP, which is valid for an initial period of 12 months, can be extended by six months twice, according to the regulations.
However, several operators of private jets in the country have continued to extend the TIP indefinitely, a development that prompted the Customs to effect past clampdowns.
According to new findings, no fewer than 80 private jet operators are expected to present their aircraft import documents for verification during the one-month exercise.
The TIP has been described by some stakeholders as a fraudulent means of evading the mandatory import duty. Importers of private jets, especially foreign registered private jets, are expected to pay five per cent of the value of the private jet as import duty.
READ ALSO:
- Police arrest VeryDarkMan over defamation allegations
- One killed, five injured in France wedding attack
- Auto assemblers seek N100bn intervention fund for vehicle acquisition
However, due to the high cost of private jets, some owners often prefer not to pay the import, according to Customs officials.
Instead, the operators prefer to obtain a TIP under the guise that the aircraft is coming into the country for a temporary period, quoting the International Civil Aviation Organisation Convention Article 24 which focuses on Customs waiver for commercial aircraft operating in a country temporarily.
But the new leadership of Customs appears poised to get all operators to pay the import duty.
Unconfirmed sources said the government might get close to N100bn in unpaid import duty on imported private aircraft due to the high exchange rate.
This analysis is however dependent on whether the Customs chooses to implement the 25 per cent penalty fee such aircraft owners are meant to pay for delayed payment. The 25 per cent penalty fee is in addition to the statutory five per cent import duty.
Meanwhile, National Public Relations Officer, NCS, Abdullahi Maiwada, recently confirmed the verification exercise, which began two Wednesdays ago.
Sometime in 2021, about 17 owners of foreign-registered private jets, comprising top business moguls, leading commercial banks, and other rich Nigerians, dragged the Federal Government to court, seeking to stop the grounding of their planes over alleged import duty default.
This came after the Federal Government approved the decision of the Nigeria Customs Service to ground about 91 private jets over their alleged refusal to pay import duties running to over N30bn.
The NCS had in 2021 embarked on a review of import duties paid on private jets brought into the country since 2006.
At the end of the 60-day exercise, 57 private jets, which had licences for commercial charter operations, were cleared and issued Aircraft Operators Certificates by the Customs.
However, 29 private jets, whose owners came for the verification, were found to be liable to pay the import duty.
The Customs also compiled a list of another 62 private jets whose owners failed to appear for the verification exercise but were found liable for import duty payment.
Customs ground bank’s jet over unpaid import duty
PUNCH
Aviation
248 Passengers Safe as Aircraft Makes Emergency Landing in Lagos
248 Passengers Safe as Aircraft Makes Emergency Landing in Lagos
An aircraft carrying 248 passengers and 12 crew members made a successful emergency landing in Lagos after developing a mid-air technical fault, aviation and emergency authorities have confirmed.
The aircraft, operated by Qatar Airways, landed safely at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos, after the flight crew alerted air traffic control to the fault while en route. Emergency response teams were immediately placed on standby as the plane approached the runway.
READ ALSO:
- Twins’ Deaths: Lagos Begins Autopsy Probe After Post-Vaccination Tragedy
- BREAKING: ADC Suspends Chairman Over Alleged Anti-Party Activities
- Fresh Bandit Attack in Katsina Leaves Two Dead, Several Injured
Officials said the aircraft executed a controlled landing, with all passengers and crew evacuated safely and no injuries or fatalities recorded. Emergency agencies, including the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), FAAN, fire services and medical responders, coordinated the operation.
Eyewitnesses at the airport described tense moments as rescue teams lined the runway, but calm was restored shortly after landing when passengers disembarked without incident.
The incident has again drawn attention to aviation safety in Nigeria, though authorities praised the swift response and professionalism of the flight crew and emergency agencies, noting that early alerts and coordination helped avert a major disaster.
248 Passengers Safe as Aircraft Makes Emergency Landing in Lagos
Aviation
VAT on Aircraft, Spare Parts Threatens Survival of Nigerian Airlines, says Allen Onyema
VAT on Aircraft, Spare Parts Threatens Survival of Nigerian Airlines, says Allen Onyema
The Air Peace CEO, Allen Onyema, has warned that Nigeria’s new tax laws threaten the survival of local airlines, arguing that the legislation reinstates taxes removed under the 2020 reforms. The taxes include customs duties on imported aircraft, aircraft parts, engines, and Value Added Tax (VAT) on tickets, which Onyema says will impose unsustainable financial burdens on airlines.
Speaking in an interview with Arise News on Sunday, Onyema stressed the high cost implications for airline operators.
“There is VAT on the importation of aircraft. For an aircraft worth $80 million, you are supposed to pay 7.5 percent. With bank loan interest rates at 30–35 percent, plus VAT on spare parts, it is unsustainable,” Onyema said. “If we implement that tax reform, Nigerian airlines will go down in three months.”
The Air Peace CEO also announced that the airline industry will no longer tolerate unruly passengers starting January 1, 2026. Onyema cited instances of disruptive behaviour by passengers on flights, including smuggling alcohol into the cabin, forcing upgrades to business class without payment, and threatening fellow travellers.
READ ALSO:
- Train Derailment in Southern Mexico Kills 13, Injures Nearly 100 in Oaxaca
- Tragedy in Lekki as Lexus SUV Crashes Into Children, One Feared Dead, Four Injured
- Presidency Intervenes in Akume, Alia Political Dispute in Benue
He referenced a recent incident on a flight diverted to Manchester, UK, due to bad weather, where passengers staged a viral video accusing Air Peace of misconduct, despite British authorities confirming that over 200 flights were diverted that day.
Onyema emphasised that airlines will now enforce stricter measures, including blacklisting unruly passengers, asserting that the behaviour is currently being “supported by the system unnecessarily.”
The statement comes amid growing concerns over rising domestic airfares. On December 10, the Senate summoned the Aviation Minister, Festus Keyamo, and industry stakeholders over soaring ticket prices. Subsequently, on December 11, the House of Representatives called on the federal government to reduce aviation taxes by 50 percent to ease costs for travellers.
Onyema’s comments highlight both the financial pressures on Nigerian airlines due to aviation taxes and the sector’s new stance on passenger discipline to safeguard safety and service standards.
VAT on Aircraft, Spare Parts Threatens Survival of Nigerian Airlines, says Allen Onyema
Aviation
NCAA arrests man who attempted to stow away on Overland Airways flight in Ilorin (Video)
NCAA arrests man who attempted to stow away on Overland Airways flight in Ilorin (Video)
The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has confirmed the arrest of a man identified as Segun Martins, who attempted to stow away on an Overland Airways flight at the Gen. Tunde Idiagbon International Airport, Ilorin, in Kwara State.
Michael Achimugu, NCAA’s Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection, said in a statement on Wednesday that the incident occurred around 3:02 pm, when Martins allegedly breached airside security and approached an aircraft preparing for take-off.
READ ALSO:
- Okonjo-Iweala, Mo Abudu Named Among Forbes’ 2025 List of 100 Most Powerful Women
- EFCC Confirms Custody of Chris Ngige Amid Kidnap Rumours
- Disaster Looms: Otedola Bridge Must Be Demolished and Rebuilt Immediately — Expert
According to the NCAA, the suspect attempted to hide between the aircraft tyres before he was spotted and apprehended by airport ground security personnel. He was subsequently handed over to the airport police division for further investigation.
During preliminary interrogation, Martins reportedly said he believed the aircraft was headed for the United States and attempted to escape Nigeria by concealing himself in the aircraft’s undercarriage.
The NCAA reiterated its commitment to ensuring strict security protocols across all airports in the country.
NCAA arrests man who attempted to stow away on Overland Airways flight in Ilorin
Aboubakar | Ijeoma | Mossad | Kaka | #DettyDecemberRave | Baddy | Dear HR pic.twitter.com/bi6T1raTRK
— Newstrends.Ng (@Newstrends_ng) December 11, 2025
NCAA arrests man who attempted to stow away on Overland Airways flight in Ilorin (Video)
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Business9 hours agoDangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
-
Education21 hours agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
Education2 days agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Entertainment2 days agoTacha Condemns False Rape Allegations After Mirabel Admits Fabrication
-
News2 days agoAmerican Woman, 64, Alleges Embassy Mocked 27-Year-Old Fiancé Before Visa Denial


