metro
Rescued Chibok schoolgirl wants to be reunited with terrorist husband
Rescued Chibok schoolgirl wants to be reunited with terrorist husband
Nine years after being kidnapped, Nigerian Army has rescued Mary Nkeki, a 27-year-old Chibok schoolgirl.
On Monday, she was presented by the Operation Hadin Kai Theatre Command headquarters in Maiduguri, Borno State.
Being number 55 on the list of abducted schoolgirls, Mary said her Boko Haram husband Adam facilitated her escape after he surrendered to the Nigerian Army troops.
She told Channels Television that she delivered two children for her terrorist husband but they all died.
Mary, however, said she is in love with her terrorist husband and would love to be reunited with him.
READ ALSO:
-
Tinubu to new ministers: We must hold each other responsible
-
Wike vows to demolish all illegal buildings in Abuja
-
Suicide Attempt: Okulaja shares his side of the story, reveals why he dumped Lagos socialite, Farida
“As for marriage, my husband is still alive and I am still in love with him. I don’t know whether he is still in Dikwa or they brought him to Maiduguri. But I will love to be reunited with him if it will be possible,” she said.
During Monday’s event, the Theatre Commander Major General Gold Chibuisi said Mary was rescued by troops of the Nigerian Army in Dikwa on August 14.
According to him, the rescued schoolgirl was immediately admitted to the Army’s medical facility for checks.
He said the lady had been certified stable and would be handed over to the state government for further assessment.
The recent development brings the number of rescued Chibok schoolgirls to sixteen in the year 2023, he added.
Rescued Chibok schoolgirl wants to be reunited with terrorist husband
metro
Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges
Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges
Ilorin, Kwara State – Dr Sanusi Lafiagi, Islamic scholar and Chief Imam of Al-Hikmah University, Kwara State, has explained why the holy month of Ramadan is spiritually unique, emphasizing its role in personal transformation, moral discipline, and societal harmony.
In an exclusive interview with PUNCH, Dr Lafiagi described Ramadan as a “month of mercy, spiritual rejuvenation, and character formation,” citing the Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) who said: “Whenever Ramadan commences, all the gates of Paradise are opened, the gates of Hellfire are closed, and the devils are chained.”
According to Dr Lafiagi, these divine conditions make it easier for believers to perform righteous deeds, avoid sins, and draw closer to Allah’s mercy. Beyond fasting from food and drink, he highlighted that Ramadan fosters self-discipline, effective time management, self-restraint, charity, and Qur’an recitation, which help Muslims manage their lives spiritually and morally.
“During Ramadan, believers learn patience, forgiveness, and restraint,” he said, explaining that even when insulted, a fasting person is encouraged to respond calmly, reinforcing moral discipline. He added that acts of charity, especially Zakat al-Fitr, purify the soul while assisting the needy in the community.
READ ALSO:
- Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident
- Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
- Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority
Dr Lafiagi also addressed why many Muslims struggle to maintain spiritual gains after Ramadan. He explained that after the month ends, the “gates of Jannah close, gates of Hellfire reopen, and the devils are freed,” making it easier for believers to lapse into previous sinful habits.
“Returning to old habits does not necessarily indicate weak faith,” he said, “but it shows that Ramadan’s lessons were not fully internalized in the heart and soul.” He stressed the importance of carrying Ramadan’s spiritual benefits into daily life to sustain moral consistency.
The scholar highlighted Ramadan’s societal impact, noting that consistent lectures and moral reminders during the month often reduce crime, improve social cohesion, and create a safer environment. He stressed that the company one keeps, the social environment, and exposure to media play significant roles in sustaining moral conduct post-Ramadan.
Dr Lafiagi also urged Muslims to utilize key moments during Ramadan, including the last 10 nights, particularly Laylatul Qadr (the Night of Power), where worship is rewarded more than in a thousand months. He emphasized the last third of every night for prayers and the giving of Zakat al-Fitr to purify the fast and help the needy.
Regarding exemptions, he clarified that sick, pregnant, nursing, and menstruating individuals may be exempt from fasting, but they should either make up missed fasts or feed the needy if unable to fast. “Allah does not burden a soul beyond its capacity,” he reminded.
Concluding, Dr Lafiagi stressed that a successful Ramadan is measured not only by the intensity of worship during the month but also by the consistency of righteous deeds and obedience to Allah afterward.
Dr Sanusi Lafiagi Highlights Ramadan’s Spiritual Blessings, Post-Ramadan Challenges
metro
Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident
Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident
The Assistant Commissioner of Police Abubakar Balteh, head of the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) at the Borno State Police Command, has died in a tragic road accident, the Command confirmed. His passing has sparked an outpouring of grief from colleagues and the wider Nigeria Police Force community.
According to a statement issued on Saturday by the Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Nahum Kenneth Daso, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, ACP Balteh died while travelling in the north-east region. The circumstances surrounding the crash remain under investigation, and further details, including burial arrangements, were expected to be released by the police.
ACP Balteh, who led the SCID in Borno State, was described as a committed and hardworking officer who remained dedicated to his duties up until his death. The statement invoked the Islamic prayer “Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’un” (“Indeed, we belong to Allah and indeed to Him we shall return”), highlighting the profound sense of loss felt within the Command.
READ ALSO:
- Reasons Behind UniAbuja’s Expulsion of 28 Students, Withdrawal of 15 Certificates
- Yoruba Muslim Group Dismisses Viral Ramadan Date Claim, Reaffirms Sultan of Sokoto’s Authority
- FCT Council polls: APC Wins Four Chairmanship Seats as PDP Takes Gwagwalada
The late officer’s death represents a significant loss to the Borno State Police, particularly the Criminal Investigation Department, where he played a pivotal role in overseeing investigations and maintaining law and order. His leadership and dedication had earned him respect from colleagues across the police community.
ACP Balteh was laid to rest on Sunday, February 22, 2026, in Potiskum, Yobe State, following Islamic rites. His passing comes just months after the death of another senior officer, Deputy Commissioner of Police Ahmed Ibn Umar, underscoring a challenging period for the Borno State Command.
Tributes have poured in from within the police force and beyond, with officials urging the public to remember the late officer’s family in their thoughts and prayers during this period of mourning. The Borno State Police Command reaffirmed its commitment to continuing the work of maintaining law, order, and safety in the state in honour of the late ACP’s service.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Dies in Fatal Road Accident
metro
SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations
SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has formally called on President Bola Tinubu to withdraw the Lawful Interception of Communications Regulations, 2019, describing them as unconstitutional, unlawful, and inconsistent with Nigeria’s international human rights obligations. The demand follows allegations that the phone of National Security Adviser (NSA) Nuhu Ribadu was intercepted, raising national concerns about phone tapping, mass surveillance, and privacy rights in Nigeria.
In a letter dated 21 February 2026 and signed by SERAP Deputy Director Kolawole Oluwadare, the civil rights organisation urged Tinubu to direct Bosun Tijani, Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, to repeal the regulations immediately. SERAP also called for a transparent legislative process to develop lawful interception laws that comply with constitutional safeguards, judicial oversight, and international human rights standards.
READ ALSO:
- Trump Imposes 15% Global Tariff Hours After Supreme Court Blocks Previous Tariffs
- APC Wins Rivers Ahoada East State Constituency II Bye‑Election
- Opposition Weakens as Another Governor Eyes APC Move
The organisation criticised the regulations for granting broad and vague powers to intercept communications on grounds such as “national security,” “economic wellbeing,” or “public emergency” without sufficient judicial safeguards, transparency, or independent oversight. SERAP warned that these powers risk being weaponised against journalists, civil society, political opponents, and election observers, especially as Nigeria approaches the 2027 general elections.
According to SERAP, the current framework allows interception without a warrant in situations involving consent, threats to life, or the ordinary course of business. It also expands the category of “authorised agencies” arbitrarily and fails to provide adequate safeguards for the protection of private communications, encryption, and data storage. The organisation emphasised that such practices violate Section 37 of the Nigerian Constitution and international human rights obligations.
SERAP highlighted that secret surveillance and bulk data collection create significant risks of misuse, profiling, and political manipulation. The organisation noted that mass surveillance measures must comply with legality, necessity, proportionality, and prior judicial authorisation, with clear oversight mechanisms and remedies for affected individuals.
The civil society group warned that if the government fails to act within seven days of the letter’s publication, it would pursue legal action to compel compliance, reiterating that privacy and freedom of expression are essential for free and fair elections and democratic governance.
The call by SERAP adds to growing public debates about data privacy, lawful interception, and accountability in Nigeria. Observers argue that without reform, the regulations could undermine journalistic independence, political participation, and citizens’ trust in digital communication.
SERAP Urges Tinubu to Repeal ‘Unlawful’ Mass Surveillance Regulations
-
Business12 hours agoDangote Opens Refinery Investment to Nigerians With Public Share Sale Plans
-
Politics2 days agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
Education24 hours agoUTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International3 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
Education2 days agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
-
Politics5 hours agoTinubu Hails Wike as APC Dominates 2026 FCT Area Council Elections
-
Politics1 day agoADC Defeats APC to Win First Polling Unit in FCT Area Council Election


