Education
ASUU waiting for appeal court decision – Falana
…But out of court settlement possible
Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, says the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) cannot be accused of engaging in contempt of court on the recent verdict of the national industrial court.
Indeed, the ASUU lawyer, who said the union was awaiting the appeal court to determine the next line of action on the current strike by the university lecturers, declared that out of court settlement was also possible.
The industrial court on September 21 ordered ASUU to call off its protracted nationwide strike, granting the Federal Government’s application for an interlocutory injunction.
The union has filed an appeal seeking a stay of execution of the judgment.
ASUU has been on strike since February 14 to press home the demand for improved funding for universities, review of salaries for lecturers, among other issues.
Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chris Ngige, at the weekend warned ASUU against the consequences of contempt of court.
Reacting to Ngige’s comments, Falana, counsel to ASUU, in a statement on Monday, said the application for the leave of the court of appeal against the injunction is the same as an appeal under the rules of the court.
He said ASUU could not be accused of contempt of court because the union is seeking to appeal and stay the execution of the judgment.
“The minister is unaware that the national industrial court lacks the jurisdictional competence to intervene in the resolution of a trade dispute that has not been determined by the industrial arbitration panel,” Falana said.
“However, contrary to the claim of the minister that the ASUU has not filed an appeal, the application for the leave of the court of appeal to appeal against the interlocutory order of injunction is deemed to be an appeal under the rules of the court of appeal.
“The application is equally accompanied by a motion for stay of execution of the said order. To that extent, the members of the ASUU cannot be accused of engaging in contempt of the order of the national industrial court in so far as they are seeking to appeal and stay the execution of the said order.
“Having exercised their constitutional right of appeal and prayed the court of appeal to stay the execution of the interlocutory order of the national industrial court pending the determination of the appeal, the members of ASUU cannot be said to have engaged in any form of contempt.
“However, instead of chasing the shadow by threatening the ASUU with contempt of court and proscription, the Federal Government should adopt urgent measures to end the strike that has paralysed academic activities in public universities for the past seven months.
“In particular, the Federal Government should take advantage of the intervention of the leadership of the House of Representatives to resolve all outstanding issues and end the strike as soon as possible.”
Education
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has clarified that candidates are not required to remove their hijab during the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) registration process.
The examination body issued the clarification following the circulation of a viral video alleging that a Muslim candidate was compelled to remove her hijab before capturing her biometric photograph at a registration centre.
In a statement addressing the controversy, JAMB dismissed claims of a policy prohibiting the use of hijab, describing such reports as misleading. The board reiterated that it respects candidates’ religious rights and does not mandate the removal of religious head coverings during registration.
However, JAMB explained that during biometric data capture, candidates may be asked to adjust their head coverings slightly to ensure that key facial features are visible for proper identification. According to the board, this requirement is strictly for technical purposes and aligns with standard identification procedures used in official documentation processes.
The board emphasized that the adjustment does not equate to a ban on hijabs, noting that clear visibility of facial features is necessary to meet biometric verification standards and prevent identity-related issues.
JAMB urged the public to disregard misinformation and advised candidates and parents to seek clarification through official communication channels to avoid unnecessary panic.
The clarification comes amid growing public interest in ensuring that examination procedures remain inclusive while maintaining the integrity of the registration and identification process.
UTME: JAMB Clarifies Position on Hijab During Biometric Capture
Education
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow

Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher Solanke Francis Taiwo with Car and Bungalow
The Ogun State Governor, Dapo Abiodun, has honoured Mr Solanke Francis Taiwo, a primary school teacher at Ansa‑Ur‑Deen Main School I, Kemta Lawa, Abeokuta, with a brand new car and a two‑bedroom bungalow in recognition of his achievement as Nigeria’s Overall Best Primary School Teacher for the 2025/2026 academic year.
The presentation took place at the Governor’s Office in Oke‑Mosan, Abeokuta, with the Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Prof Abayomi Arigbagbu, and the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr Oloko, in attendance. The gifts were part of a broader effort to motivate teachers, reward professional excellence, and highlight the state’s education reforms.
Speaking at the event, Prof Arigbagbu said the award demonstrates the effectiveness of the Ogun State Education Revitalisation Agenda, which is built on six pillars including curriculum enhancement, school administration, innovation, infrastructure, funding, and teachers’ welfare. “When you do things consistently and efficiently, you record results. This same teacher won the Ogun State Best Teacher Award in October before clinching the national award in Abuja. This confirms that our education sector has been truly revitalised,” he said.
READ ALSO:
- Police Bust Gang Armoury, Arrest Two Suspects in Delta
- Peter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
- Woman Dies in Bandits’ Camp After Family Pays ₦25 Million Ransom

Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher Solanke Francis Taiwo with Car and Bungalow
He highlighted the state’s successes in national competitions, including the JETS contests, where Ogun students won 18 out of 24 awards in one year, with a single student claiming nine prizes. The commissioner also noted that Ogun’s Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) model and education digitisation initiatives have attracted attention from other states and received commendation from the Federal Government and the National Board for Technical Education.
Governor Abiodun reaffirmed his commitment to teacher development, pledging continuous support through workshops, seminars, digital learning platforms, and AI-powered instructional tools. He said the gifts of a car and bungalow are intended to inspire other educators to strive for excellence and innovation in their teaching.
In his remarks, Mr Solanke expressed gratitude to the governor and the education ministry for fostering an enabling environment for teaching and learning. He vowed to continue improving student learning outcomes and collaborating with colleagues to ensure that Ogun State remains a leader in education excellence.
“I feel fulfilled and honoured. I will continue to give my best and encourage fellow teachers to remain dedicated to nurturing the potential of every student,” he said.
The recognition of Mr Solanke reflects Ogun State’s strategic investment in education, commitment to teacher welfare, and the effectiveness of policies that have positioned the state as a model for academic excellence in Nigeria.
Ogun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow
Education
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has confirmed that more than 1.5 million candidates have registered for the 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), as the deadline for e‑PIN vending and registration rapidly approaches.
In a statement released in Abuja by the board’s Public Communication Advisor, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, the board said the sale of e‑PINs — required for candidates to proceed with registration at accredited centers — will close at midnight on Thursday, February 26, 2026, while actual registration at centres will end on Saturday, February 28, 2026.
According to JAMB, its daily registration capacity stands at 100,000 candidates, but most centres are currently operating at roughly 30 per cent capacity, indicating that a significant number of eligible candidates have yet to register. The board emphasised that there will be no extension of the registration window, explaining that the schedule aligns with the national examination calendar and is coordinated to allow other examination bodies to conduct their exercises without conflict.
READ ALSO:
- FG Seals Plateau Mine After 37 Killed in Toxic Gas Tragedy
- Troops Kill Five Kidnappers, Rescue Abducted Woman in Plateau
- Sowore Condemns Electoral Act 2026 as Threat to Nigeria’s Democracy
JAMB urged candidates to secure their e‑PINs early and complete registration at accredited CBT centres without delay. The board warned that last-minute registration could result in avoidable challenges and reiterated that it will not entertain appeals for deadline extensions.
The 2026 UTME is scheduled to hold from April 16 to April 25 and will determine admission into universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education across Nigeria. JAMB also assured candidates that all testing centres would have adequate security, technical support, and invigilation to ensure a smooth and credible examination process.
Education experts and stakeholders have encouraged candidates to register promptly and take advantage of preparatory resources offered online and at local centres. State education authorities have also organised orientation programmes to guide students through registration, examination, and post-UTME procedures.
JAMB continues to provide updates and guidance through its official portal and social media channels, ensuring that candidates have access to information about registration, examination procedures, and exam day requirements.
Over 1.5 Million Candidates Registered as JAMB UTME Pin Vending Nears Deadline
-
Politics1 day agoPeter Obi Launches ‘Village Boys Movement’ to Rival Tinubu’s City Boys Ahead of 2027
-
International2 days agoCanada Opens New Express Entry Draw for Nigerian Workers, Others
-
News2 days agoPolice to Arrest TikToker Mirabel After She Recants False Rape Claim
-
International2 days agoEpstein, Ex-Israeli PM Named in Alleged Profiteering From Boko Haram Crisis
-
metro2 days agoOsun Awards 55.6km Iwo–Osogbo–Ibadan Road Project to Three Contractors
-
Politics2 days agoUpdated: Rivers Senator Mpigi Barinada dies at 64
-
metro2 days agoOndo Monarch Killed as Bandits Strike Akure North
-
Education1 day agoOgun Gov Rewards Nigeria’s Best Primary School Teacher with Car, Bungalow


